MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MAS A380 - Fleet to be Retained

Malaysia Airlines unveils A380 configuration; to receive aircraft in June

by Mavis Toh

Malaysia Airlines has unveiled the design and specifications of its first Airbus A380-800 aircraft.

The aircraft, to be delivered in the middle of June, will have a new livery on its exterior, said the airline. The aircraft will have 494 seats in a three-class configuration - eight in first class, 66 in business and 420 in economy. The business class seats, together with 70 economy seats, will be on the aircraft's upper deck.

The A380 will be put into service on 1 July on thrice-weekly flights between Kuala Lumpur and London. "The aircraft is currently with Airbus for final touches before a handover to us," added a spokesman.

First class seats on the aircraft will have a seat pitch of 85 inches (216cm) and a 87-inch lie-flat bed.

The aircraft will also be fitted with the Thales in-flight entertainment system and seats in all classes will have a USB port and a satellite telephone facility.

The carrier is also planning to operate its second A380 on the Kuala Lumpur-London route and to fly its third aircraft on the Kuala Lumpur-Sydney route.

"The investment in this latest aircraft, its technology, futuristic style and innovative design in cabin comfort are our initiatives to ensure that our passengers continue to experience an exciting new level of comfort, luxury and convenience. This is the identity that will move us from 'traditional classic' to 'premium contemporary' in our efforts to position Malaysia Airlines as a preferred premium carrier," said the carrier's chief executive Ahmad Jauhari Yahya.

The carrier is scheduled to receive five of its six A380s on order this year.

http://www.flightglo...in-june-369265/

the new logo is weird~~~it look like the mh logo terbalik...hmmn, still prefer the old one

actually this is a return back to MAS's old logo - remember it was facing right, in a circle?

Edited by Sharil Abdul Rahman

MAS.jpg

From Flightglobal

Umm... nah... Still prefer the swoosh.. Thought it was as good as the Heliconia. Not quite so (especially seen from the side)! The font of the word "airlines" resembles a great deal of SQ's font in Italic....

Hope it will grow on me! (Would prefer Thai's livery on any count).

Edited by S V Choong

Hmmm...I don't know yet. I prefer the striking contrast between the blue and red. The colour scheme looks dull to me. The blue needs to be darker in my opinion.

Anyway, I'm very pleased to read that they will start plying SYD with the arrival of the 3rd A380. I'm assuing this will tie in with the commencement of the daily service to LHR. My fingers are tightly crossed for the A380 to be doing a daily service to SYD by October.

Anyone know if MH did any market research/customer feedback with this new livery?

Not many positive comments flying around.

It offers no "wau" (pardon the pun) factor.

Coming late to the A380 operators club I expected something much nicer.

The updated red/blue livery on the newish B738 and A330 is much nicer than this.

Details on hardware & services:

"

The A380 has a capacity of 494 seats in a three-class configuration comprising 8 First Class seats and 350 Economy Class seats on the main deck, together with 66 Business Class seats and 70 economy Class seats on the upper deck.

The First Class cabin has a luxurious seat pitch of 85 inches with 87 inch full flat bed seats complemented with individual 23 inch inflight entertainment (IFE) screens whilst the Business Class cabin features a seat pitch of 74 inches and full flat bed seats each measuring 72 inches in length together with individual 17-inch IFE screens.

The Economy class seats with an 18-inch seat width and recline of 6 inches, have a seat pitch of 32 inches and individual IFE screens measuring 10.6 inches. In-seat laptop charging facilities are available on every seat in First and Business Class. In Economy, laptop charging facilities are shared by every 2 seats

The aircraft is fitted with the Thales entertainment system, with fully customised Graphic User Interface specific for quick navigation and seat in all classes is equipped with USB port and satellite telephone facility.

Operated by a cabin crew team of 18 members for inflight delivery of the unique Malaysian Hospitality, customers travelling on Malaysia Airlines’ A380 will be treated to a fine selection of Malaysian and International cuisines with lighter and healthier-concept meals. For the first time, the ‘Chef-on-Call’ facility, currently available to First Class passengers of Malaysia Airlines, will also be available for Business Class passengers of the A380 as an extension of the airline’s renowned Branded Customer Experience. "

This is the identity that will move us from 'traditional classic' to 'premium contemporary' in our efforts to position Malaysia Airlines as a preferred premium carrier," said the carrier's chief executive Ahmad Jauhari Yahya.

Sounds like spinning to me.. chills run down my spine

Details on hardware & services:

"

Operated by a cabin crew team of 18 members for inflight delivery of the unique Malaysian Hospitality, customers travelling on Malaysia Airlines’ A380 will be treated to a fine selection of Malaysian and International cuisines with lighter and healthier-concept meals. For the first time, the ‘Chef-on-Call’ facility, currently available to First Class passengers of Malaysia Airlines, will also be available for Business Class passengers of the A380 as an extension of the airline’s renowned Branded Customer Experience. "

And Emirates has 28 ppl.

And Emirates has 28 ppl.

The extra 10 staff members supposedly responsible for 6 more first class vip's, 10 more business class people and 21 lesser cattle class entitities :p

So, 10 extra staff catering for a nett 5 heads less :)

You can just feel this 'premium' tag isn't going to go far :D

Edited by BC Tam

Sounds like spinning to me.. chills run down my spine

The long running problem has always NOT related to equipment...

I suck at this , but IMHO a cheat line would really give this blue livery a balance. A very crude rendition

111cuu.jpg

After the much hoo-ha on the livery, everyone will now be guessing what MH will put at the front end and back end of upper deck. Hopefully MH can be creative in making full use of the areas.......fingers and toes crossed~~~

After the much hoo-ha on the livery, everyone will now be guessing what MH will put at the front end and back end of upper deck. Hopefully MH can be creative in making full use of the areas.......fingers and toes crossed~~~

Firstly, there will be stairs - both ends, not that you dont already know this. Secondly - look at the cabin layout as posted in #1110. Reasonably large toilets at the front of the Biz cabin

ANyway, can somebody please tell the MH management that the biz seats are a real yawn and lack innovation, and certainly without any wow factor. Compare MH new 380 biz seats & QR's new biz seats - both to be introduced this year. MH's will be out of date by end of this year (and there's still one more A380 yet to be delivered by then). The management surely lacks the foresight to introduce something different & outstanding from what is already in the market, in line with aspirations to attract back pax lost to the likes of SQ, EK, QR et al. Looks like such aspirations remain...aspirations.

Firstly, there will be stairs - both ends, not that you dont already know this. Secondly - look at the cabin layout as posted in #1110. Reasonably large toilets at the front of the Biz cabin

ANyway, can somebody please tell the MH management that the biz seats are a real yawn and lack innovation, and certainly without any wow factor. Compare MH new 380 biz seats & QR's new biz seats - both to be introduced this year. MH's will be out of date by end of this year (and there's still one more A380 yet to be delivered by then). The management surely lacks the foresight to introduce something different & outstanding from what is already in the market, in line with aspirations to attract back pax lost to the likes of SQ, EK, QR et al. Looks like such aspirations remain...aspirations.

Obviously, I know for sure will be stairs for both ends. What I am talking about is the open area after the stairs. Air France installed an inflight museum, Emirates with showers, Singapore Airlines and China Southern Airlines with their seating couches. Similarly, KE put an open sky bar-cum-lounge at the back-end of upper deck and a inflight shopping kiosk at end of main deck.

MH is any way, are miles behind other premium airlines in terms product innovation and creativity!

Obviously, I know for sure will be stairs for both ends. What I am talking about is the open area after the stairs.

What open area? Like I say - see post #1110. It's obvious that next to the front stairs are two spacious toilets, similar to SQ (which has only one though on port side)

MAS takes delivery of 1st A380 in June

Posted on 9 March 2012 - 12:10am

Last updated on 9 March 2012 - 12:15am

KANG SIEW LI

sunbiz@thesundaily.com

A3802_c316784_1239_724.jpg A380_c316782_1239_724.jpg

PETALING JAYA (March 9, 2012): Malaysia Airlines (MAS) will take delivery of the first of six Airbus A380 superjumbo jets on June 19, nine years after placing the order, and will start thrice weekly operations from Kuala Lumpur to London on July 1.

The aircraft is currently undergoing the finishing touches in Hamburg, Germany, said MAS acting head of strategic communications, Nor Zalida Ahmad.

"Starting from July 1, MAS will operate three flights a week on the Kuala Lumpur-London route, and then increase the frequency to daily from Aug 25 with the delivery of its second A380. The third and fourth A380s (which MAS will take possession in August and September, respectively) will be used to fly between Kuala Lumpur and Sydney," MAS head of customer experience, Datuk Salleh Ahmad Tabrani, told a media briefing here yesterday.

"As for our fifth and sixth A380s (which are due for delivery in October this year and February 2013), we have not decided which routes they will be deployed to. Our strategy team is currently crunching the numbers and doing market studies and will decide their flight destinations in a few months," he said.

The A380s will be able to carry 494 passengers in a three-class configuration, comprising eight first class seats and 350 economy class seats on the main deck, together with 66 business class seats and 70 economy class seats on the upper deck.

MAS senior vice-president (marketing and promotions) Al-Ishsal Ishak said the new A380s will spot a new logo colour scheme and livery to signify its transformation into a premium airline. However, the colour scheme and livery of its existing aircraft will remain unchanged for now.

"For an airline like MAS, we have multiple types of aircraft in our fleet on different routes. For each route, we cater to different types of market segments. We have to match our aircraft and products to the market segments that we target for that specific route. Thus, the way we design our products and services will have to be different," said Salleh.

"As of today, (for example,) we still serve meal boxes (pre-packed meals) on some of our domestic and regional routes for practical reasons," he added.

As to the fares on MAS' A380s to London, Al-Ishsal said they will carry a "slight premium of about 5-10%" to those on its B747 aircraft. "However, they (fares) are still a far cry from our competitors."

"For an airline like MAS, we have multiple types of aircraft in our fleet on different routes. For each route, we cater to different types of market segments. We have to match our aircraft and products to the market segments that we target for that specific route. Thus, the way we design our products and services will have to be different," said Salleh.

"As of today, (for example,) we still serve meal boxes (pre-packed meals) on some of our domestic and regional routes for practical reasons," he added.

Looks like the accountant inspired PAL livery will stay, all because of the diverse markets served by MAS (sigh)

The A380s will be able to carry 494 passengers in a three-class configuration, comprising eight first class seats and 350 economy class seats on the main deck, together with 66 business class seats and 70 economy class seats on the upper deck.

Configuration is 487 seats, not 494. F8 C64 Y415.

MAS press release: http://malaysiaairlines.listedcompany.com/news.html/id/292297

The A380 has a capacity of 494 seats in a three-class configuration comprising 8 First Class seats and 350 Economy Class seats on the main deck, together with 66 Business Class seats and 70 economy Class seats on the upper deck.

The First Class cabin has a luxurious seat pitch of 85 inches with 87 inch full flat bed seats complemented with individual 23 inch inflight entertainment (IFE) screens whilst the Business Class cabin features a seat pitch of 74 inches and full flat bed seats each measuring 72 inches in length together with individual 17-inch IFE screens.

The Economy class seats with an 18-inch seat width and recline of 6 inches, have a seat pitch of 32 inches and individual IFE screens measuring 10.6 inches. In-seat laptop charging facilities are available on every seat in First and Business Class. In Economy, laptop charging facilities are shared by every 2 seats

The aircraft is fitted with the Thales entertainment system, with fully customised Graphic User Interface specific for quick navigation and seat in all classes is equipped with USB port and satellite telephone facility.

My goodness. When will they learn?! Different liveries for different aircraft? Consistency of the livery and product is so important! SQ have not changed their logo or livery since the beginning. I reckon they should have stuck with the normal livery (pre-swoosh) but made it more stylised. I liked the red/blue combination but they could simply have put more emphasis on the blue.

Anyway, I am so happy that the A380 will be coming to Sydney from Aug/Sep. I won't be travelling until October, so it's looking very good that I will be able to fly on the A380 all the way from SYD to LHR (and back)!!

I suck at this , but IMHO a cheat line would really give this blue livery a balance. A very crude rendition

111cuu.jpg

+1