MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MAS A380 - Fleet to be Retained

why are you surprised Jani? i'm not! this is MH's chance to showcase their premium product but it looks like it will come and go with a fizzle ... hey, i've been rooting for them for years - they've always disappointed me. i guess its better to be a grumpy old pessimist.

Tried to do dummy booking for 1st August.. Still 747 seatmap?

Because 01AUG12 is Wednesday. A380 not operating on that day.

On that seat map, it states Premium:Q. What does that mean?

"Better seats" (Larger legroom) requires additional fee. Just general remark that needs no special attention.

Edited by Jim Liu

Source. Old livery still looks pretty good on the a380 :)

Malaysia Airlines will send its brand new Airbus A380 fleet to London next July -- with fewer business class seats on board than on any other A380.

MAS' A380 flights will start on 2 July 2012 -- by which time the airline's Enrich frequent flyer program may already allow reciprocal earning and burning with Qantas Frequent Flyer.

MH002 will run from Kuala Lumpur to London Heathrow on Mondays, Thursdays and Saturdays, with return flights MH003 on Tuesdays, Fridays and Sundays.

From 15 August, the A380 will go daily on the route, which will connect to Malaysia Airlines' Australian flights from Adelaide, Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth and Sydney.

Malaysia Airlines is also planning to join the oneworld alliance, and the formalities will likely be completed in late 2012.

MAS has decided on an overall layout similar to Qantas' and Singapore Airlines -- with first class downstairs and business class upstairs -- although there are some notable differences.

Eight first class seats at the front of the main deck in a 1-2-1 configuration -- four fewer than on SQ and six fewer than Qantas. (As Australian Business Traveller reported earlier this year, babies will be banned from MAS' first class on the A380.)

Just nine rows of business class will be found upstairs, stretching in a 2-2-2 layout from rows 6-12 and 17-18 at the front of the upper deck. That's fewer business class seats than any other airline running the A380.

Economy class in a 3-4-3 layout will be found towards the rear of the main deck, with a smaller 2-4-2 cabin upstairs behind business.

Frequent travellers whose travel policies don't spring for business class prefer the upstairs economy cabin since it's smaller and there are fewer people to clamber over to get out of window seats.

Having 8 First Class suites is ok but having so few Business class seats is disappointing and pretty short-sighted, as far as I can see. MH is about to join OW next year. There will be a lot of new passengers who will want to earn and burn their points with MH, especially on the A380, and especially in business class. There will definitely be a shortage and MH will miss the opportunity of capitalising on corporate and premium flyers. <_ src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_rolleyes.gif" alt=":rolleyes:">

There was a news just a few days ago, MH will revise its A380 cabin configuration. The one on the news at this moment doesn't have Premium Eco mentioned anywhere, I doubt if this is the final one.

From Timothy's post:

4eb2ed23d2a046c0948b7861767f2254-malaysia-a380.jpg

Beautiful.. Sigh :(

EDIT: WAIT, I read in the other thread they are revising the livery again? Oh my god, please make it nice!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by jani

It's not too late if MH wants to change it's livery for the A380, once the first one arrives MH can do a huge promotion introducing a new brand, livery, uniforms and identity! Some notable airlines have changed their new livery in less than 1-2 years.

On another note will MH name it's A380's like Kuala Lumpur, Kuching, Penang, Malacca etc...? Would be great if they do!

So, so far LHR has been confirmed, out of SYD, MEL & AMS which ones would next next?

It's not too late if MH wants to change it's livery for the A380, once the first one arrives MH can do a huge promotion introducing a new brand, livery, uniforms and identity! Some notable airlines have changed their new livery in less than 1-2 years.

On another note will MH name it's A380's like Kuala Lumpur, Kuching, Penang, Malacca etc...? Would be great if they do!

So, so far LHR has been confirmed, out of SYD, MEL & AMS which ones would next next?

Most likely AMS since AMS is one of the European Hubs of MH, other than Rome.

My best bet would be SYD & MEL.

Most likely AMS since AMS is one of the European Hubs of MH, other than Rome.

Unlikely now that MAS has joined OW. It will be LHR and one of the OZ cities. That's all. I believe that's the best you can do with 6 aircraft and maintain double daily.

^^ I believe MH can do like a LHR-KUL-SYD & LHR-KUL-MEL rotation, although it might be tight, it will work if the times are right. MH can try to steal some SQ pax away from MEL as SQ is taking the A380 of the route in a few months, and with a strong connection base with QF/JQ MH can sorry make it work on at least one of the daily flights. I personally would like to see MH 148 become an A380 flight. Who says the A380 flights have to be daily?

From Timothy's post:

4eb2ed23d2a046c0948b7861767f2254-malaysia-a380.jpg

Beautiful.. Sigh :(

EDIT: WAIT, I read in the other thread they are revising the livery again? Oh my god, please make it nice!!!!!!!!!!!!

nooooooooooooo...not a change in livery. This normal(the old) livery looks nice on the A380.

You like the current livery? The one on the new 738's and A333's? I for sure don't so I hope the livery on the A380 would look great.

You like the current livery? The one on the new 738's and A333's? I for sure don't so I hope the livery on the A380 would look great.

The current one that makes MH looks like an offshoot of Philippine Airlines?

MH should just bring back the red Hibiscus on the A388 - the marketing benefits would be great, given that it creates "presence" & brand awareness.

It may be a record for final assembly...

Good to see the MH birds coming online. I just hope MH knows how to exploit these aircraft for maximum yields. :)

Just read in the December issue of Going Places on my flight that MAS is planning to use the A380 for flights to London, Amsterdam and Sydney. It was also stated that the A380 is replacing the B747-400. So, 6 A380s are enough to support a daily flight to these 3 destinations? I wonder what MH plans on using for the 2nd daily flights to London and Sydney?

I've also checked to see if the cost of redemtion bookings will be more expensive on the A380 and they are. SYD-LHR in First on the A380 (KUL-LHR sector only, of course at this stage) was something like 128000 one way whereas flights using the the B747-400 only are like 93000 one way.

Just read in the December issue of Going Places on my flight that MAS is planning to use the A380 for flights to London, Amsterdam and Sydney. It was also stated that the A380 is replacing the B747-400. So, 6 A380s are enough to support a daily flight to these 3 destinations? I wonder what MH plans on using for the 2nd daily flights to London and Sydney?

I've also checked to see if the cost of redemtion bookings will be more expensive on the A380 and they are. SYD-LHR in First on the A380 (KUL-LHR sector only, of course at this stage) was something like 128000 one way whereas flights using the the B747-400 only are like 93000 one way.

Aircraft rotation will be so tight that if one aircraft koyak, one of the flight will have to either be cancelled or revert back to old fleet.