MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MAS A380 - Fleet to be Retained

MAS A380 first taxi test! She is FREAKING gorgeous :yahoo: :good:

I suspect enthusiasm has overtaken taste there :D

She looks nothing like gorgeous (as I understand it anyway) - hedious in fact, with that psoriatic patches look : )

Heh heh heh !

Looking at is like looking at a really sexy body, just ignore that unattractive face. Or in this case, a really beautiful face, just don't look at the patched up fat body.

I completely failed to see what is so special about MAS flight attendants now because seriously, OZ flight attendants are far friendlier, more attentive and zillion times more polite! :good:

Jaguh kampung? :pardon:

The wau looks beautiful on the tail of the A380. :good:

Yup, very beautiful. Rumors, once delivered she will wear the registration 9M-MNA (maybe name belongs to our existing PM MNA-Mohd Najib Abd. Razak) but I'm prefer 9M-MYA (MY-Malaysia A-Airbus). :D

Does anyone know what the tentative delivery schedule for the A380s is? The first one's supposed to be April or May next year, right?

KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysia Airlines (MAS) is reconfiguring the seats of its first A380 aircraft to fit in more first and business class passengers, says a director and major shareholder.

MAS non-independent non-executive director Datuk Kamarudin Meranun said the airline is working hard to ensure there is not much delay in the delivery date due to the reconfiguration work.

"It (MAS' first A380 out of six ordered) could come in a month or so later. I don't think you can really call that a delay," Kamarudin told Business Times via telephone yesterday.

Standard practice in MAS is for a new aircraft to start flying within three months of delivery. AirAsia, on the other hand, starts flights one or two days after taking delivery of an aircraft.

This confirms a Business Times report last week that MAS had planned to reconfigure seats for its A380 and that this could cause a delay in the delivery of the aircraft.

"We are working to ensure that there are no delays to launching the A380 (in July 2012).

"This is where the strength of the MAS-AirAsia strategic alliance will help us leverage with the manufacturers," Kamarudin said.

He declined to elaborate on the new configuration of the A380, only saying that "it will be comparable to other premium airlines".

According to a report last year, the MAS A380s would be configured to have four classes - 420 economy seats, 26 premium economy seats, 54 business seats and eight first class seats.

On Firefly's operations, Kamarudin said the airline will maintain its turboprop service out of Subang but phase out its loss-making jet operations.

"In pursuit of the rationalisation of MAS' operations, we will be phasing out Firefly's jet operations. Those who had made bookings with Firefly will not lose out as MAS will honour those deals."

No timeline has been given but it is understood that Firefly's jet operations will cease by the year-end.

Firefly has a fleet of eight jet aircraft - six Boeing 737-800s and two Boeing 737-400s.

Read more: MAS' 'premium' arrangement http://www.btimes.com.my/Current_News/BTIMES/articles/pkam/Article/index_html

"It (MAS' first A380 out of six ordered) could come in a month or so later. I don't think you can really call that a delay," Kamarudin told Business Times via telephone yesterday.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Agreed, not when viewed in context of the already waited years :lol:

Yes, better to delay and get the configuration 100% right than to take it and then send it in for reconfiguration again. D7 made the mistake on the non-reclining seats and they learnt from that. Now they are telling MH to learn from D7's bad experience...

I suppose it's purely a matter of putting more premium seats in and presumably reducing capacity in cattle class now - the product (namely seats) and amenities specs must already be cast in stone by now

Otherwise the disruption to supply chain surely will be more than a month :D

Does anyone know what the tentative delivery schedule for the A380s is? The first one's supposed to be April or May next year, right?

We are not sure when the first one will arrive. Estimates vary between April to July. Once the first plane is delivered, the next four are due in quick succession - almost at the rate of 1 per month. The final aircraft will come in 2013.