MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MAS A380 - Fleet to be Retained

The rendered livery makes the A380 looks like a fatten up 734s..

Is it true that the more decorative/livery on the aircraft body, means the aircraft will weights more..Since the hundreds of litres of paint needed..

Its B734 on steroid. :blink:

Yes, the more paint you painted on, the heavier the aircraft gets. More fuel burn. The main reason why most airline are now going for Euro-white livery, less paint, cost effective. But needs more bath. Water is cheaper than fuel, to say at least.

MH dropped its Hibiscus 9M-MPD for same reason. If I remember correctly IJ said the extra paint cost MH RM2 million a year to haul around....hm...forgot the real number and link to the story.

IMO, I think MH should reconfigure Business class to 8 or 12 seats only as most airline do nowadays. And change Y seat pitch to at least 32". 32" is pretty much standard for most FSC. 30" is a no-no unless MH wants to fight it out with LCC again.

In line with the planning to reconfigure 737 and A380, hopefully they will reconfigure yet-to-be-delivered A330 into a better J product.

I'm really glad the new management is considering re-configuring the new aircraft.

For the B737-800s, a 32" seat pitch in economy is absolutely essential if they want to compete with widebodied aircraft. Reducing the number of business class seats is not unreasonable, preferable from 16 down to 12. Angled lie-flat seats would be something no one else has ever done on a B737-800 and it will be seen as innovative and a great selling point to counteract the fact that it is a single-aisled aircraft.

For the new A330-300s, flat-bed seats are essential, even if these aircraft are predominantly going to be used for "regional" routes. An 8-hour flight demands a flat-bed seat if they are to compete with the likes of SQ, CX, EK and EY.

I also think they should re-configure and refurbish the B777-200s so that business class has flat-bed seats and economy has better PTVs and those new seats that are currently being used on the new A330-300s.

It is also hope that the economy class seats also receive some attention as well since it is the most occupied section of the aircraft most of the time, whether the plane's plying a 1 or 2 hours route.

Pssssst, someone else has.....Privatair.

I've never heard of Privatair! Where are they based?

And it's nothing new in the A320 too!

Really?! Which airlines have the angled lie-flat seats on the A320?

I've never heard of Privatair! Where are they based?

Really?! Which airlines have the angled lie-flat seats on the A320?

BA has em on 318's.... it's not as rare as it sounds :)- and those aren't even angled, they're flat flat.

Edited by Suzanne Goh

BA has em on 318's.... it's not as rare as it sounds :)- and those aren't even angled, they're flat flat.

Is it that OpenSkies airline that they run?

Is it that OpenSkies airline that they run?

The A318 flies out of London City Airport under the main BA banner. They even use the old Concorde flight numbers.

As for PrivatAir, they specialize in charters for the rich and famous, and Business only flights for KLM, Lufthansa & Swiss International Air Lines. They're a Switzerland-based company.

PrivatAir

Edited by Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

PrivatAir is based in Geneva and mostly do private flight for high roller and transatlantic services for Gulf Air, Swiss, Lufthansa and KLM. Often those who do not want to brush their shoulder with cattle (Y) class and have the $$ to burn.

They use mainly Boeing aircraft. From B737-700 BBJ to B767-300ER. All flight are decked out in private suites or lie flat business seats. And lot of champagne flowing and on-demand services we can ever imagine of.

Similarly, Open Skies B757, British Airways A318, Air France and Qatar Airways A319-100LR do the same service.

BA 318 flies directly into London City airport near to city centre, cutting waiting time at Heathrow. Perhaps something MH can consider with their B738, fly into Sungai Besi Airport. Up a limo then in KL in no time.....glamorous flying....

Similarly, Open Skies B757, British Airways A318, Air France and Qatar Airways A319-100LR do the same service.

Qatar Airways' A319 is not an all JCL config. It only has 8 angle-flat seats and the rest are still cattle class.

PrivatAir is based in Geneva and mostly do private flight for high roller and transatlantic services for Gulf Air, Swiss, Lufthansa and KLM.

KLM has not renewed the contract with them, eff. Winter 2011; hence, after 30oct11 no more HB-JJA at AMS...the 2nd IAH flight will, instead, be operated by their own A330-200 (the other one remaining with 744)...

BA 318 flies directly into London City airport near to city centre, cutting waiting time at Heathrow. Perhaps something MH can consider with their B738, fly into Sungai Besi Airport. Up a limo then in KL in no time.....glamorous flying....

Impossible considering Sg. Besi Airport's going to be redeveloped.

I supposed they mean reconfiguring B738 Y class to better seat pitch, currently at 30' if I am not mistaken.

They seriously have to. It is a torture to fly in EY on their new 738 between KUL/BKI let alone on those 5 hours flights between BKI and North Asia :finger:

By the way, i flew OZ for the very first time last week. The seat pitch in EY on their 321 is good (32") and service was OUTSTANDING! I completely failed to see what is so special about MAS flight attendants now because seriously, OZ flight attendants are far friendlier, more attentive and zillion times more polite! :good:

P/S, some of them are very hot too :p

Edited by Isaac

They seriously have to. It is a torture to fly in EY on their new 738 between KUL/BKI let alone on those 5 hours flights between BKI and North Asia :finger:

By the way, i flew OZ for the very first time last week. The seat pitch in EY on their 321 is good (32") and service was OUTSTANDING! I completely failed to see what is so special about MAS flight attendants now because seriously, OZ flight attendants are far friendlier, more attentive and zillion times more polite! :good:

P/S, some of them are very hot too :p

I flew OZ before and I totally agree!

I flew OZ before and I totally agree!

I was so impressed with them. They will be my number one choice from BKI to ICN should i go to South Korea again next time.

By the way, the OZ flight from BKI to ICN last Friday only had a few vacant seats and the flight from ICN to BKI two days ago was full to the brim. Even Business Class was completely filled too. Asiana Airlines currently has two offices in Kota Kinabalu now, i hope they will be here for good :)