MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MAS A380 - Fleet to be Retained

Good lord... I hope it looks better than that! It looks like a really bad cut and paste job! LOL

Oh my god bunuh diri...

:(

Hahaha ku pun mahu! Really makes you wonder if the whole MAS board is blind or something. Why can't they come up with classier liveries that are still lightweight? They compromised too much. :(

I wonder if it would be possible for us to charter the A380 and mount a charity joy ride flight?

Can be done ANA style - before the plane goes into full commercial service. KUL-BKK for our anniversary?

I wonder if it would be possible for us to charter the A380 and mount a charity joy ride flight?

Can be done ANA style - before the plane goes into full commercial service. KUL-BKK for our anniversary?

By the time our garmen gives the go ahead it's time to scrap the aircraft.

Airline livery design hits bottom

When in doubt, add a swoosh, right? Please don't! Plus: Airline/culture crossover and "Pan Am" revisited

By Patrick Smith

OK, I can't stand it anymore. Has airline livery design at last hit rock bottom?

Yes, I think it has. Presenting the new look of Malaysia Airlines.

Hey, wow, a swooshy thing. How original. It's two swooshes, actually, squashed and scribbled together like tandem shark fins in a peculiar and wholly unattractive pattern.

When I say "swooshy thing" I am talking specifically about the "Generic Meaningless Swoosh Thing" or GMST, the concept that, over the past 10 years or so, has become the lowest common denominator of airline brand identity, seen worldwide from Aeromexico to El Al. The term was coined by Amanda Collier, a graphic design veteran, quoted in one of this column's earlier livery discussions. Said Collier, "the GMST is what happens when any corporation gathers senior management, their internal creative department, and a design agency in order to develop a new logo. The managers will talk about wanting something that shows their company is 'forward thinking' and 'in motion,' and no fewer than three of them will reference Nike, inventors of the original Swoosh. The creative types smile, nod, secretly stab themselves with their X-Acto knives, and s#1t out variations on a motion theme until everyone gets tired of arguing about it."

What makes Malaysia Airlines' swoosh so tragic is that it supersedes one of the classiest palettes out there. Malaysia is, or was, one of the few carriers to retain a classic "cheat line" -- the horizontal, nose-to-tail striping once very common on jetliners. The blue and red cheat, tapered at the stern, was handsome, distinctive and dignified -- exactly what a livery should be.

The only thing that saves the revised look from total abomination is the retention of the indigenous Wau kite on the tail. Few airline logos are as iconic and long-lasting.

True story: In 1993 I was in the city of Kota Bahru, a conservative Islamic town in northern Malaysia close to the Thai border, when we saw a group of little kids flying Wau kites. At the time I didn't realize where the airline's logo had come from, but I recognized the pattern immediately. It was one of those airline/culture crossover moments that we aerophiles get all emotional over.

Indonesian carrier Garuda, on the other hand, has taken a tragic step backward by removing a similarly iconic logo from its tails. Gone is the abstract head of the Garuda eagle. Borrowed from ancient Sanskrit, the Garuda is common to Buddhist and Hindu mythology, and one of Hinduism's animal-god trinity. This was seen as too meaningful, apparently, and the airline switched instead to this idiotic blue blur.

Source

Cheatlines are awesome.

Please someone forward that article to Tony Fernandes' Twitter! Include a picture of the A380 and he'll see how ugly it is.

this livery???... :o

A380.jpg

I hope this is just a messed up render made by the website designer and not the real thing!!! The livery just looks out of proportion.:rofl:

The flag is too big, the Malaysia Airlines title is too big too looks like they are trying to copy SQ large title for livery and cramming that shitty blue and red thing behind. :shok: :finger:

This one looks much better

5477159917_ec3e1c6197_z.jpg

Wallpaper 1920 - Airbus A380 - Malaysia Airlines - Msn078 - 2012 - CS5 by Christophe-RAMOS, on Flickr

Edited by DaTan

A380 delay for MAS?

By Presenna Nambiar

It is understood that the new management of MAS is considering the reconfiguration of its seats to offer a product that will reflect its new premium status.

Kuala Lumpur: The delivery of Malaysia Airlines' first Airbus 380 jumbo jet may be delayed again, but this time it will not be due to manufacturing issues.

It is understood that the new management of MAS is considering the reconfiguration of its seats to offer a product that will reflect its new premium status.

It was reported in 2010 that MAS' A380s were configured for 508 seats.

This is much higher than those offered by other premium airlines such as Qantas (450 seats) and Singapore Airlines (471 seats).

According to the report, the MAS A380s are configured to have four classes - 420 Economy seats, 26 Premium Economy seats, 54 Business and eight First Class seats.

Qantas, for example, seats 14 in the First Class, 72 in Business, 32 in Premium Economy and 332 in Economy.

Seat plans are typically finalised two years before the delivery of the aircraft. Seats are fitted six months before delivery.

Equipment such as seats and in-flight entertainment are buyer-furnished, which means that airline operators deal direct with the manufacturers of the equipment.

Supplier-furnished equipment, such as the wiring in an aircraft, is done by the airframe manufacturers.

With the first of the A380s due to arrive in the first half of 2012, it is understood that any reconfiguration work would lead to a delay in delivery.

MAS has ordered six A380s.

Alternatively, MAS could take delivery of the planes and re-configure it later, but such a move is seen as counter productive.

"With less than five seat manufacturers worldwide and backlog issues due to a large number of deliveries, a delay appears inevitable," an industry source said.

The Boeing 737-800s are also likely to have their seats reconfigured to become "more premium".

The aircraft seats 16 Business Class and 144 Economy Class passengers now.

"Singapore Airlines and Emirates offer private suites, and most premium carriers have flat beds now. MAS will have to come up with a better offering to compete really," Standard & Poor's aviation analyst Shukor Yusof told Business Times.

Source

The current B738 configuration is still not good enough? Wow, I also wonder if they would configure the existing FY Jet to Sky Interior...

Sky interior fittings are good enough and appealing already...more premium means higher fares, you don't gain much such traffic domestically...even regional I also doubt it a bit...MH next move really makes the public more blurred...:S...

I supposed they mean reconfiguring B738 Y class to better seat pitch, currently at 30' if I am not mistaken.

I am putting my hope high on the new management in rolling out new revitalised fleet and inflight products. MH has been banged so many times by its competitors, now its time MH stands up again, to be par with SQ, CX, TG and GA.

MH should take a leaf from GA. Whether we like it or not, the true transformation of GA is something MH should learn. I like their new advertisement campaign. Truly displaying Indonesian way of hospitality:

Their corporate video is as amazing as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_wcDUd0J30

Edited by JuliusWong

The current B738 configuration is still not good enough? Wow, I also wonder if they would configure the existing FY Jet to Sky Interior...

BOTH C & Y could do with having a greater pitch. Y's is LCC-ish and MH was probably hoping you wont notice the tight pitch and get distracted with the PTVs.

Y seats on 738 could be better at 32"-33", to compete with some WBs. I wonder if MH will have a few all-economy narrowbodies, like AF and BA.