MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MAS A380 - Fleet to be Retained

None of those is named after Kuching or KK. Maybe Kuching and KK are overseas.

MH, 74M was named Kota Kinabalu, Reg 9M-MHK

and first MH 747; was named Kuching , 9M-MHI

MAS to take delivery of first A380 next June latest!

Posted on June 23, 2011, Thursday

TOULOUSE (France): Malaysia Airlines expects to take delivery of its first A380 airplane from Airbus next June.

With the new plane, currently in the final stage of assembly and finishing at the Airbus headquarters here to be followed by internal fittings and painting in Hamburg, Germany, the airline will also introduce a new class of travel – the premium economy class.

Describing the plane as the “best MAS would have on its fleet”, to Malaysian journalists during a tour of the Airbus A380 factory here Wednesday, MAS managing director and chief executive officer Tengku Datuk Seri Azmil Zahruddin said there would be four classes of travel on the Kuala Lumpur-London route for which the plane would be used, namely “beyond first class”, business class, premium economy and economy.

As it is an entirely new generation plane with very advanced set of systems, there would be a lot of testing on both sides.

Malaysian pilots and engineers will come here to learn and get familiar with the plane as well as for trouble shootings, he said.

MAS is also expected to take delivery of four additional A380 planes on a staggered basis next year followed by one more in 2013.

Asked on the fundings for the planes, he said MAS would be looking at various options including Islamic financing.

Meanwhile, the airline will take delivery of its fourth A330 plane from the Airbus’ delivery centre here today. – Bernama

http://www.theborneopost.com/2011/06/23/mas-to-take-delivery-of-first-a380-next-june-latest/

MH invests quite tremendously on the A380. IMHO, that might explain why the current in flight products on their new 738 and 333 seems dated. I am looking forward to see their 'beyond first class' cabin.

Can't wait for the day of its delivery. I was quite shocked with their performances in Skytrax this year. Hopefully they will pick up and move forward to provide better in-flight services next year. Just extracted the picture of that 'giant' from Borneo Post Online. Soon be reality!

Source: http://www.theborneopost.com/2011/06/23/mas-expects-delivery-of-five-a380s-in-2012-latest/

T05272.jpg

Edited by casey123

Malaysia Airlines expects to take delivery of its first A380 airplane from Airbus next June.

Describing the plane as the “best MAS would have on its fleet”, to Malaysian journalists during a tour of the Airbus A380 factory here Wednesday, MAS managing director and chief executive officer Tengku Datuk Seri Azmil Zahruddin said there would be four classes of travel on the Kuala Lumpur-London route for which the plane would be used, namely “beyond first class”, business class, premium economy and economy.

So now the first A380 is going to be delayed by 2 months. Earlier on, it was communicated in various publications that the first A380 will be arriving in April 2012.

I think MH should not fishing for more criticisms with these 'beyond first class' thing. First of all, everyone knows the tagline is a direct reference to SQ' Suite Class - A Class Beyond First. SQ can sue MH for copyright infringement. Second of all, SQ has been reported of not yielding the expected return from its Suite Class and has been rumoured to wanting to degrade it to just 'First Class' on the A380 (SQ has another First Class type cabin on their B777 aircraft).

MH has a rather good First Class product on the B744 at the moment. It is decent, expensive and rare, and I think MH could generate so much wow factors by marketing the new F as an improvement to the current one (rather than giving false hopes of something as impossibly high as Mount Olympus in Mars only to have it crushes down when we actually seeing the product).

There's been a lot of curiosity of the MH A380 cabin, so I thought it'd be nice to consolidate our speculations, aspirations, both cyncical and wild dreams that we may have, and perhaps some classified information that we may have gotten. Again, It's just for us to consolidate our predictions and aspirations for the up and coming MH A380, that MAS say will be A SURPRISE FOR ALL OF US.

Anyways, before you read my prediction, I'll admit that I am biased. I'd fly SQ or CX any day. So, based on the scattered information i've found, here's what I think:

F- Similar to those on the 744 just that they'll have doors around them, more updated technology and spruced up w/c s. My guess is that it will be a Malaysian version of the SQ suite, w/o the bed, but it'll look closer to that of EK without all the glitz and glamour.

j- It'll look very similar to LH (2-2-2). My guess is that it'll be one of those huge legroom seats but super narrow for an A380 J (much like QF). My guess is that it will look cheap with grey plastic paneling and certain won't look at all elegant or refined and will probably be missing those extra fixtures. It'll be no where near SQs superb J (see I'm biased). I'm just certain that skytrax users will all say that it's terrible to get out of if your at the window. Ultimately, it'll be like a plethora of other J seats, just mediocre. MH will boast that it's a lie-flat and that it just can't be beaten now, though we know otherwise.

Y+- Essentially be a copy-cat of the B738 J seats

y- Exactly the same as the new A333 Y seats, just that it'll have cupholders and footrests (Though i think I'm being a bit too hopeful here)

And then there's the question if it'll have EK showers or bar, or QF snack bars or KE duty free, all of these industry changers and new heights of aviation; I'm guessing MHs' response will be

'Takde!!! Ade lie-flat and class beyond first ape?? Surprise =)"

Right, that's a biased and cynical take on things, though hope I'm not being harsh on MH, but I personally believe it needs to know the truth that it's place on top is lying from a thread. They are after all my choice of airline for regional travel =)

The aircraft will probably arrive in 2012 but will be operational in June, given that MH will need to perform test flights and so on. Then again, this is only my guess. Airbus might be playing it safe and guaranteeing it'll come in June, given the string of delays, but hey, look at the A330?

Some updates of MH's A380s from the MD/CEO himself:

On MSN078 delivery flight in June 2012

We're still working out how too welcome d A380. Dat's an idea, tho RT @andrewBMG: Idea: can m'sians bid for a place on the a380 flight home?

On MH's A380 possible rego series - 9M-MV*

@memeranglaut Well, the new A330-300 are MTx, so -200F are MUx

@tengkuazmil makes sense. Now waiting what airplanes will be using the MVx regos hahaha

On no babies policy onboard MH's F on the A380s

@AusBT We r planning to stick to our policy for now

@tengkuazmil And that is the "no babies in first class' policy - so no bassinets in 1st on MAS A380?

@AusBT Yup!

On possible special livery on MSN078

@tengkuazmil MAS should have similar liveries on the A380 too.

@shermunT we r looking at it!

On MH's new J on the A380s being SUPERIOR than SQ's!

Bos, are we having flat bed for A380 B Class same like SQ? @tengkuazmil

@WMFIRDAUS Ours will not be d same. I think they're better!

On MH's new J on the A380s being SUPERIOR than SQ's!

They better be!

On MSN078 delivery flight in June 2012

In time for our 7th anniversary!

Bos, are we having flat bed for A380 B Class same like SQ? @tengkuazmil

@WMFIRDAUS Ours will not be d same. I think they're better!

Sorry to burst all our "HARAPAN" and joy, if you will, over the MH A380 announcements. It looks like MH is still a Toyota and doesn't want to compete directly with SQ. Look at TGs buisness, for examplae, yeah I know they're 74' not 75' unlike MAS, 1', who cares. But what is more important is the design of the seat itself, which maximises privacy and it's not a nightmare to get in and out of. Plus, because of its slanted semi-herringbow design, the seats look like they've got more to offer. A while back, someone, can't remember who posted the only bits of info on the A380 config. and there's one thing that just gives it away. The 2-2-2 configuration and don'f forget its the upper deck which essentially has the same with as an A330. So really, essentially the seats are a lie-flat version of the crappy A330 J. MH is commiting the same mistake, its giving tons of legroom but a tight width. They're probably going to be very similar to the AF/LH design, which I can tell you, are run of the mill. On the other hand, I've flown SQ A380 services to CDG ans SYD over the past year, and I can tell you, they are superb, that's what brings loyalty to SQ, their product.

Compare the LH/AF seats (likely to resemble the MH seats)

My link

My link

Versus

My link

or KE (biz class) I believe it's a no-brainer

The problem is that MH is still stuck in this conservative frame of mind. Yes, I know the SQ/EK/KE/CX/EY etc. seats are the pinacle of J seats, but if MH isn't aiming for that, I don't see how it plans to compete. And, SQ already has these seats on their 77W. Again, MH will probably take another 6 years or so before it phases out its 772 fleet.

Sorry couldn't upload the a'liner.net pics

They better be!

Something to ponder about. By the time MH rolls out the now proclaimed better than SQ's J seats on the A380, SQ's J product on the A380 will be 5 years old (!!!) meaning the Golden Goose airline must have a new gen replacement in plan already.

Something to ponder about. By the time MH rolls out the now proclaimed better than SQ's J seats on the A380, SQ's J product on the A380 will be 5 years old (!!!) meaning the Golden Goose airline must have a new gen replacement in plan already.

That's why I have doubt on this matter. Will it be better than current SQ one? But still lag against TG, KE and the likes. However Tg Azmil is a good CEO in terms if taking criticisms and feedbacks. I still have hope on him.

Agreed. I believe MD/CEO Tengku Azmil is an innocent man, where he won't boast or make statements the way Uncle Tony does, so it holds some ground and we can rely on his personal information.

Tengku Azmil is an innocent man

Sorry to be such a troll, I do agree that Pak Tony likes to blow his trumpet, but didn't Tengky Azmil also say that the new MH A330 couldn't be beaten and that it had the best seats??? Again, I have my doubts that the product will be nothing but mediocre like LH or AF, nothing more. But, sometimes its good to keep our expectations low. For all you know, MH might surprise us.

Will it be better than current SQ one? But still lag against TG, KE and the likes

SQs seats are pretty up there. They're the widest and have the largest bed. It's really like traveling in F-. Don't think KE or TG even come remotely close.

I can't wait to experience the flat-bed seat on the A380 in Business all the way from SYD to LHR. I might even consider doing the trip in First!! B)

Still no news on cabin? :( TG already has their vid, and they're getting their A380 later. Cmon MAS! But probably with all the action in the management, might take a while, no? :(