MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MAS A380 - Fleet to be Retained

Yes, I just noticed that. Paragraph 4 on the second page in the official press release. Still, the big question is why SYD was not mentioned?

Actually they are considering it, but it's not confirmed yet. Hence no announcement.

Although I've been told that the network planning guys prefer more frequencies into SYD rather than capacity.

Actually they are considering it, but it's not confirmed yet. Hence no announcement.

Although I've been told that the network planning guys prefer more frequencies into SYD rather than capacity.

I am sure that if MH wants to compete with QF and SQ, they will definitely need the A380 plying that route. If they want more frequency, their second daily flight can be a B772 or A333 flight. But one of the flights definitely needs to be on the A380.

My 2 sens worth!

I am sure that if MH wants to compete with QF and SQ, they will definitely need the A380 plying that route. If they want more frequency, their second daily flight can be a B772 or A333 flight. But one of the flights definitely needs to be on the A380.

My 2 sens worth!

MH doesnt need the A380 on the SYD route just because it's an A380. The novelty factor has worn off by the time MH gets its 380s, and it is just another me-too aircraft. What is important is what the pax gets in the cabin. MH can compete with SQ and QF if it offers frequencies and superior cabin hardware & software - not merely an A380.

MH doesnt need the A380 on the SYD route just because it's an A380. The novelty factor has worn off by the time MH gets its 380s, and it is just another me-too aircraft. What is important is what the pax gets in the cabin. MH can compete with SQ and QF if it offers frequencies and superior cabin hardware & software - not merely an A380.

Unless MH to have different version of A33E for regional and intercontinental respectively, MH A380 is probably the only solution in the near future for MH to offer a cabin comparable to SQ, EK, QF A380/77W.

MH can refurbish their 772ER J and Y class cabins for product consistencies with their A380.

True but does MH has any plan to do so?

MAS plans A380 services to London and Amsterdam

Malaysia Airlines (MAS) hopes to operate its A380 superjumbos between Kuala Lumpur, London Heathrow and Amsterdam Schiphol according to respected aviation website flightglobal.com.

The superjumbo could be arriving in Europe as early as next year when MAS expects to take delivery of five of the six A380s on order.

Operating the A380 into these two leading airports makes sense for MAS. London is one of MAS’ most popular destinations while Amsterdam is also logical because MAS works more closely with Dutch carrier KLM than with any other airline.

KLM and MAS share one another’s flight codes and this allows MAS passengers to make connections to and from KLM’s extensive network covering the UK, mainland Europe and Scandinavia.

It will be the first time any airline has operated the A380 into Amsterdam on a scheduled basis. (KLM itself has not ordered any A380s).

MAS says its A380 will accommodate 510 passengers. There will be eight seats in first (located on the main deck) and 54 in business class (upper deck). There will also be a 26-seater premium economy cabin (a ‘first’ for MAS) on the upper deck. The large 420-seat economy class zones will be split between the main and upper decks.

For more information visit malaysiaairlines.com.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/mas-plans-a380-services-to-london-and-amsterdam

Malaysia Airlines (MAS) plans to deploy its first Airbus A380 to London, and wants to also fly the superjumbo to Australian destinations like Sydney and Melbourne.

The airline is set to receive the first of six A380s on order in April 2012 following several delays and this is still on track, says MAS managing director and CEO Azmil Zahruddin.

MAS has said it is looking at operating the A380 to London and Amsterdam. Azmil says Australian cities like Sydney and Melbourne are likely to be A380 destinations after flights to London are launched. MAS currently operates Boeing 747 aircraft to London.

The airline is also still studying a new widebody order, which it has said could be for the Boeing 787 or the Airbus A350 or both, says Azmil.

Source: http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2011/06/06/357591/mas-first-a380-destination-likely-to-be-london.html

Malaysia Airlines (MAS) plans to deploy its first Airbus A380 to London, and wants to also fly the superjumbo to Australian destinations like Sydney and Melbourne.

The airline is set to receive the first of six A380s on order in April 2012 following several delays and this is still on track, says MAS managing director and CEO Azmil Zahruddin.

MAS has said it is looking at operating the A380 to London and Amsterdam. Azmil says Australian cities like Sydney and Melbourne are likely to be A380 destinations after flights to London are launched. MAS currently operates Boeing 747 aircraft to London.

The airline is also still studying a new widebody order, which it has said could be for the Boeing 787 or the Airbus A350 or both, says Azmil.

Source: http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2011/06/06/357591/mas-first-a380-destination-likely-to-be-london.html

This is only sensible since SQ is also flying the superjumbo to both SYD and MEL.. and also HKG!!!

This is only sensible since SQ is also flying the superjumbo to both SYD and MEL.. and also HKG!!!

I'm actually quite surprised that MEL is possibly getting the A380 now, perhaps MH wants to connect oneworld HUBs and to fight directly with SQ?

I'm actually quite surprised that MEL is possibly getting the A380 now, perhaps MH wants to connect oneworld HUBs and to fight directly with SQ?

It would be still hard for MH to climb over SQ. SQ is doing way well... and their fares are so competitive. I still find it hard to believe they could make daily all business class flights, non stop to LAX and EWR! Cost around 8K SGD per seat!

It makes sense to match demand to supply. If SYD-KUL, MEL-KUL, KUL-LHR and KUL-AMS always have good load factors, then the A380 should first be deployed to these routes to capture more pax.

Final assembly of Malaysia Airlines' first Airbus A380 began in Toulouse on 7 June 2011. Below information is copied from the press release by Airbus.

The final assembly process of an A380 is made up of five main phases. At the first station, front, central, and aft fuselages, wings, Horizontal and Vertical Tail Plane (HTP and VTP) are assembled. The aircraft is then moved to the second station where general tests on electric/hydraulic systems, mobile parts and landing gears are carried out while engines are also installed. During the third phase, final ground and first engines tests take place in dedicated facilities outside of the main building. Finally, the aircraft is ready for its first flight to Hamburg, Germany, where the A380 will receive its cabin and will be painted to MAS livery.

Malaysia Airlines has six A380s on order with deliveries due to begin in 2012.

KC Sim

More pictures. The beast is coming.... :D

Flightglobal

Great progress for our A380 (msn 18, test registration F-WWSO).

Which registration would be a first MH A380? 9M-MIA, 9M-MYA?

Malaysia Airlines details aircraft http://www.airfleets.net/flottecie/Malaysia%20Airlines.htm

Edited by Ikman Ikreza

How about 9M-MBA ... Malaysia's Biggest Airbus.

KC Sim