MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MAS A380 - Fleet to be Retained

SQ also use 32" in their 77W. So 32" is average and 34" is generous. With the slim seat design, it would probably make it feel much better.

SQ also use 32" in their 77W. So 32" is average and 34" is generous. With the slim seat design, it would probably make it feel much better.

I agree, as long as it's not those really awful "sliding" seats. In the "recline" position, your legroom gets reduced and it becomes really uncomfortable even for someone of average height like me. I don't like those sliding slim seats on SQ. <_>

Some loyalists claim traditional thick cushion is more comfy than slim seats design :pardon:

With reduced seat pitch and high density on A380, believe MH need to realign their marketing position, campaign and pricing strategy. Find MH has been changing their pricing strategy this few years and causing confusing, even my secretary complains :pardon: Hope once MH decided where to position itself, will adopt tested and proven strategy instead of attempting to reinvent the wheel.

:drinks:

I agree, as long as it's not those really awful "sliding" seats. In the "recline" position, your legroom gets reduced and it becomes really uncomfortable even for someone of average height like me. I don't like those sliding slim seats on SQ. <_>

Believe ‘recline and slide’ offer more body support, ergonomically more friendly and comfortable.

Edited by KK Lee

Just wondering if MH will use existing business seat with minor tweaks here and there to make it recline 180 degree or they will use a new seat design? I think KE modified their business seat and make it fully flat. Both MH and KE J seat have a same seat design, if I am not mistaken. What do you guys think?

Edited by suadrif

Some loyalists claim traditional thick cushion is more comfy than slim seats design :pardon:

Believe ‘recline and slide’ offer more body support, ergonomically more friendly and comfortable.

The sliding recline offers no lumbar support at all, which is what most people complain about with regards to its level of comfort. It is definitely not ergonomically more friendly. The cushions are much more comfortable, which is why MH's Economy is one of the very few Y seats I don't mind sitting in on long-haul flights, especially as their Y seats also provide lumbar support.

Just wondering if MH will use existing business seat with minor tweaks here and there to make it recline 180 degree or they will use a new seat design? I think KE modified their business seat and make it fully flat. Both MH and KE J seat have a same seat design, if I am not mistaken. What do you guys think?

I think I posted in the forum before that MH is crazy if they do not introduce an entirely new product for the new 60 aircrafts that are going to join the fleet (3 have arrived and all spotted the new livery with an entirely new [regional] interior). I am quite confident that it is going to be a whole new F, J and Y seats, with the new Y+ cabin on the A380. We should expect the unveiling on MH's new [long haul] J and Y seats in April this year following the delivery of MH's first new A333. The same J and Y seats on the new 15 A333s should appear on the 6 A380s as well.

But since the IFE on the A380s will be different than those on the new A333s, there might be a chance that the J and Y seats are different, although both are new.

Well, if you're of average height it would be! But I don't think 6 ft + counts as average height... ;)

6 ft + is indeed the average height in the West, for guys that is. But then, most Western carriers only feature 31"-32" of seat pitch in EY :pardon:

Anyway, there aren't many good things left at MAS and it just so happens that this 34" of seat pitch in their long-haul planes is one of the very few good things that truly set them apart from the rest of the competition. Sadly, this will soon be gone too :(

6 ft + is indeed the average height in the West, for guys that is. But then, most Western carriers only feature 31"-32" of seat pitch in EY :pardon:

Anyway, there aren't many good things left at MAS and it just so happens that this 34" of seat pitch in their long-haul planes is one of the very few good things that truly set them apart from the rest of the competition. Sadly, this will soon be gone too :(

Speaking of good things that MH has been scrapping off: anyone mind to do a summary of what MH used to have now is non-existant? Apologies of this have been discussed before. Am still 'kinda new' here. Been reading MW since am a small kid. :)

Speaking of good things that MH has been scrapping off: anyone mind to do a summary of what MH used to have now is non-existant?

The following was discontinued from EY :(

Cotton towel then paper towel.

Bailey Irish cream, JW Black label

Souvenir e.g. playing cards, pen, aircraft model, etc

Open sandwich on KUL/SIN (before shuttle flight was introduced)

Steak on KUL/LHR, KUL/SYD

Comb

... foot rest on some B777 flights, snackboxes (version 1, 2, 3 and 4) instead of proper meals in a tray on regional flights...

Comb

Only found the souvenirs missing , apart from that all the rest were available on KUL/LHR leg last week (including the sandwich :p)

img6088j.jpg

img6083z.jpg

img6139i.jpg

img6124xl.jpg

A complain would be the cabin crew did not know any other combination of cocktail apart from the generic few already on the menu ...

Comb

Bailey Irish cream, JW Black Label?! Steak: Oh my!!! the luxury of life....MH, are you mad in removing those!!! :(

Souvenir: oh my....no wonder I don't see them selling when I started flying them frequently last year. Would these add some extra revenue to MH profit if they market them well?

Comb- seriously???

Pardon me: whats open sandwich? thanks for pointing teach.

... foot rest on some B777 flights, snackboxes (version 1, 2, 3 and 4) instead of proper meals in a tray on regional flights...

I miss those lunch boxes, the one with biodegradable sugarcane box.

Only found the souvenirs missing , apart from that all the rest were available on KUL/LHR leg last week (including the sandwich :p)

img6088j.jpg

img6083z.jpg

img6139i.jpg

img6124xl.jpg

A complain would be the cabin crew did not know any other combination of cocktail apart from the generic few already on the menu ...

MH certainly doesn't have SQ long haul standard where air sommelier is onboard to recommend wine, spirits etc...or Emirates crews in mixing cocktails! EK and VS have whole bar onboard!!! :blink:

oh btw, thanks for the replies. Learning new stuffs everyday. :)

The sliding recline offers no lumbar support at all, which is what most people complain about with regards to its level of comfort. It is definitely not ergonomically more friendly. The cushions are much more comfortable, which is why MH's Economy is one of the very few Y seats I don't mind sitting in on long-haul flights, especially as their Y seats also provide lumbar support.

I agree with you. Was disappointed with my first A380 flight on SQ because despite nobody next to me I couldn’t get comfortable. 2 days later I returned from LHR on the 744 and was much more comfortable although I didn’t like the seat in front reclining so much making the TV hard to see without reflections.

Reminds me on the trains in the UK because they used to have big comfortable seats which have now been replaced by hard cushions

I'm glad those footrests are gone! They restricted legroom a bit and it was always so annoying bumping your shin into it.

I agree with you. Was disappointed with my first A380 flight on SQ because despite nobody next to me I couldn’t get comfortable. 2 days later I returned from LHR on the 744 and was much more comfortable although I didn’t like the seat in front reclining so much making the TV hard to see without reflections.

Same here. I didn't like the Y seats on SQ's A380. It was really uncomfortable and completely ruined my flight experience. It was even worse because it was an overnight flight as well!

News from A.Net today confirmed that RR is facing some production problem with regards to their Trent 97* engines, which may result in 5 A380s with RR engines which are scheduled to be delivered in 2011 to be delayed into 2012.

Small summary:

- the engines problems are affecting the production.

- “Right now we are lacking of 20 engines” said Enders.

- Just in 2012 they will be able to increase the rate to three a A 380s per month.

- But the most important problems have been sorted out: “it’s not a development project anymore but a production project.”

I have a bad feeling that MH's first A380 will be yet again delayed for the 5th time, this time around because of its RR engines.

News from A.Net today confirmed that RR is facing some production problem with regards to their Trent 97* engines, which may result in 5 A380s with RR engines which are scheduled to be delivered in 2011 to be delayed into 2012.

I have a bad feeling that MH's first A380 will be yet again delayed for the 5th time, this time around because of its RR engines.

If it's only 2011 delivered A380s that are affected, it wouldn't probably change much on MH's side, since they could still build the plane without the engines.

If it's only 2011 delivered A380s that are affected, it wouldn't probably change much on MH's side, since they could still build the plane without the engines.

Makes sense. I hope MH's A380s are not delayed any further. I want to be flying in one of those in the 2nd half of 2012 to London! :drinks:

Makes sense. I hope MH's A380s are not delayed any further. I want to be flying in one of those in the 2nd half of 2012 to London! :drinks:

Yeah, can't wait to fly that bird. Been saving some money to be use for that trip :p

Yeah, can't wait to fly that bird. Been saving some money to be use for that trip :p

I want to experience their business class on these new birds. If I have enough money, I might even consider first! :drinks:

I want to experience their business class on these new birds. If I have enough money, I might even consider first! :drinks:

You can upgrade to F with your Enrich points.

The convoy for MSN 078, MH's first A380 will arrive in Toulouse for body join and assembly very soon!

@a380production: Malaysia Airlines first A380 (MSN078) will arrive in Toulouse very soon, so keep a look out.

The convoy with the fuselage parts and wings of MSN 078 is expected to arrive in Toulouse through the next convoy, (2011/8 ) which is scheduled from 11 - 14 April 2011. Special thanks to N14AZ of A.Net for the info.

The convoy for MSN 078, MH's first A380 will arrive in Toulouse for body join and assembly very soon!

The convoy with the fuselage parts and wings of MSN 078 is expected to arrive in Toulouse through the next convoy, (2011/8 ) which is scheduled from 11 - 14 April 2011. Special thanks to N14AZ of A.Net for the info.

Finally, proof positive of MH's new A380. Time to save up for the inaugural flight.