MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MAS A380 - Fleet to be Retained

Apart from the long haul international routes that A380 should be intended for, maybe for some media fanfare, MH could utilize their A380 for "the world's first scheduled domestic route on A380".

Maybe not scheduled service, but I am sure our very own Capt. Nik H could initiate something for us.

Do any possibility that 1 of 6 A380 will be deploy KUL-JNB-CPT-BUE vv route soon to replace the B747?

Do any possibility that 1 of 6 A380 will be deploy KUL-JNB-CPT-BUE vv route soon to replace the B747?

While it is not officially mentioned, there is a possibility that the A380 will be deployed to EZE. It was reported sometime last year that the CPT-EZE sector would cost more using the B777 due to ETOPS as compared to the gas-guzzling B744. The B777 would have to fly a longer route to reach EZE from CPT, hence the added cost of the flight. Unless MH decides keeps a very small number of B744 in their fleet for this purpose, the A380 is the only 4-engined aircraft (in their future fleet) that is capable for executing that mission at a much lesser cost.

I think that initially MH will be operating the A380 on the KUL-SYD and KUL-LHR routes. These are their high pax density routes and the most profitable for the new aircraft. If MH wants to increase the aircraft utilisation and to better compete with AK, they might consider doing some KUL-HKG or KUL-TPE sectors too. I can't see them using the A380 on the long South African and South American destinations. I am not sure if they can fill the plane!

HKG and TPE are not that far, unlike SYD or LHR. They can be done with 738, 330 and 772. Even if MH employ A380 to both routes, the price may not be attractive enough for pax. MEL and AMS are possibly the best candidates, next to LHR and SYD, to receive the Superdumbos.

Edited by Johan Z

Yet another sensational news being leaked by MH Rumour Department!

MH's first A380 will be delayed beyond August 2011!!!

Airbus COO John Leahy confirms further delay in A380 delivery to MH beyond 2H 2011. "There's a possibility of a small delay," Leahy says, didn't provide further details.

The worrying delay is now confirmed. The delivery of MH's first A380 will be delayed from August 2011 to 1H 2012 by Airbus. This translates into up to 10 months of delay. The delay is expected as CZ and KE, both of which will be receiving their first A380 earlier than MH were also being delayed to about 6 months by Airbus.

Malaysia Airlines' first A380 delivery delayed a third time

By Ghim-Lay Yeo

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2010/04/30/341312/malaysia-airlines-first-a380-delivery-delayed-a-third.html

Malaysia Airlines (MAS) has had the delivery of its first Airbus A380 aircraft delayed a third time by the airframer.

The first aircraft will now arrive in the first half of 2012 instead of August 2011, says a MAS spokeswoman. MAS has six A380s on order.

An Airbus spokesman declines to comment on the reasons behind the delay, and adds that the airframer is still finalising the delivery schedule for the six aircraft with MAS.

MAS' A380s were initially due to start arriving in January 2007, but the first delivery was postponed to January 2011 after delays in the Airbus programme, and then again to August 2011.

The carrier is acquiring the six A380s from its major shareholder Penerbangan Malaysia Berhad (PMB), as it seeks to own aircraft instead of leasing them.

MAS said in December 2009 that is expects to receive delay compensation payments of "in excess" of RM330 million ($103.3 million) for the first two delays.

One stupid question, (I think I know the answer) can MH cancel A380 order? I know they have firmed up order, but the delays are getting worse. MH probably regrets putting an order on A380.

Edited by Johan Z

MH probably regrets putting an order on A380.

On the contrary, I imagine it's turning out quite nicely for MH :p

Everytime there is a delay, some sort of compensation or sweetener can be extracted from manufacturer A, whilst affording time for traffic to pick up on MH's intended dugong routes to actually justify ordering the oversized giant too :)

Yes, agree with you. Compo and waiting for the traffic to pick up. They don't fully utilise their 747 and may not be as so desperate of A380, as I thought. Except, tired of looking SQ and EK A380. Really want to see other airlines' A380.

I doubt MH will ever order A350. They probably are looking for 777 replacemement from Boeing, since they have A330 from Airbus.

I doubt MH will ever order A350. They probably are looking for 777 replacemement from Boeing, since they have A330 from Airbus.

Never say never. If Airbus offers MH an offer they can't refuse, they might take some.

BTW does A350 offer same cockpit as A330/340?

its actually a blessing that MH A380s are delayed again - as seriously MH do not have the pax numbers to justify putting these A380s - except possibly only KUL-LHR only. In fact MH should have not ordered it as remember even its 3 daily LHR flights way before the crisis last year also cannot be sustained n reduced to 2 daily. Now MH cant even fly daily to US from both the atlantic n pacific.

They can do 1 x A380 and 1 x B747/777 daily for KUL-LHR. Hopefully it is going to work, provided they refurbish 747 and 777 to the level of A380.

I also believe A380 is a mistake for MH because they don't really need them, except right now, when they get stack of money from compensations. I always think MH only need 250-300 seater aircraft, like A340/330/777. I have no idea where they employ 11-something 747 they currently have.

If A380 delivery delays, MAS can improved and also have a lot of times on designing aircraft interior. Due to delays by Airbus itself, MAS still received compensations. By the way, our economy is still in recovering.

I'm very shock that the delays happened after 1 month of MOU signing between MAS and Airbus regarding A330. The first new A330 will be delivered on 2011 while the first A380 on 2012. So far only 6 orders were confirmed for A380.

http://www.airbus.com/en/presscentre/pressreleases/pressreleases_items/2010_03_31_a330_malaysia_airlines.html

A380 was bought by PMB, any compensation (if any) will be paid to PMB. MH is a lessee, unlikely to entitle to any compensation. Further, Eads will have a cap on maximum compensation.

:drinks:

Given A380 CASM is significant lower than 744, substitute 744 with A380 will improve profit. Current QF, SQ, EK, EY, etc load on kangaroo route is healthy means there is room to accommodate additional A380 capacity. The issue with A380 is not too large for kangaroo route but MH have difficulty or inability to fill the seats. Believe it is overdue to revamp MH marketing strategy.

:drinks:

BTW does A350 offer same cockpit as A330/340?

The A350 will have a new cockpit and it is more likely to be a development of the A380's.

The compensation for the 3rd delivery delay by Airbus is now confirmed.

MAS to be compensated for A380 delay

Published: 2010/05/12

Malaysia Airlines (MAS) will receive contractual compensation for further delay in the delivery of the A380 super jumbo aircraft, said managing director and chief executive officer Tengku Datuk Azmil Zahruddin.

He, however, did not reveal details of the compensation payment.

"We will receive contractual compensation," was all he said when asked on the delay after his presentation at the chief financial officer (CFO) Symposium 2010 on the Journey of Success: CFO to CEO in Kuala Lumpur today.

Delivery of the A380s has been delayed for the third time.

Airbus was initially scheduled to start delivering MAS' A380s in January 2007 but the first delivery was postponed to January 2011 following delays in the aircraft maker's programme and was again deferred to August 2011.

MAS, the national carrier, is acquiring six A380s.

It was reported in December last year that MAS was expected to receive delay compensation payments in excess of RM330 million for the first two delays. -- Bernama

This pic from Mr. Md Radzi Desa rite? I've seen it somewhere before.... :good: