MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MAS A380 - Fleet to be Retained

I heard some rumours about 16 new 330's ..

Great if it really happens. I know many do not like the 330 but i have always found it to be a very decent and special aircraft since i stepped into MAS 333 for the first time in 1998 :good:

Clark sums up the A380's appeal in raw statistics. "We're busting the seams on the aircraft. We're consistently getting 90-100% load factors - its popularity hasn't dissipated in a year.

http://www.flightglobal.com/page/A380-In-Service-Report/Airbus-A380-In-Service-Report-Looking-forward/

Wonder why the 2009 Asia’s Leading Airline is hesitates to introduce A380 early? :pardon: :sorry:

:drinks:

13 months away from the delivery of MH's first A380. Still no news about the inflight products, although the routes had sort of being confirmed. Since MH may have yet to make up their mind on the interior, perhaps these would make some inspiration? Continuing on from my last post about the Suite-style seat installed on rival airlines' premium classes.

The followings are the suite-style seats offered by 2 other airlines but both are not an A380 operator (yet?).

JET AIRWAYS FIRST CLASS (TURKISH AIRLINES FIRST CLASS, GULF AIR FIRST CLASS)

1228847.jpg

1215093.jpg

The pride of the promising but troubled new airline - India's Jet Airways. Even with a wonderful premium product, the airline has to let go almost the entire fleet of their Boeing 777-300 ER aircrafts, which were equipped with this First Class cabin, leasing/leased it out to Turkish Airlines and Gulf Air, whom benefitted from the R & D efforts made by 9W.

This cabin features a fully flat bed, private suite-style seat with dual sliding doors, private wardrobe, night sky mood lighting system, 5 course meals, a BOSE noise cancelling headphones and a 23 inch flat TV.

ETIHAD AIRWAYS DIAMOND FIRST CLASS SUITE

1611373.jpg

1609498.jpg

1611727.jpg

The talk of the town at the recently concluded Dubai Air Show 2009, this cabin was equipped aboard EY's fleet of Airbus 340-600. It features among others; flat bed, private suite with dual sliding doors, illuminated private wardrobe with personal mirror, leather seats upholstered by world - renowned manufacturer Poltrona Frau (suppliers of Ferrari’s interiors), 23-inch personal LCD TVs, the usual noise cancelling headphones, out of the world dining experience, mood lighting, mini bar and an unusual looking black lavatory or termed as Changing Room as pictured above.

*All photographs are extracted from A.Net and KINDLY CLICK ON EACH OF THEM TO INCREASE THEIR HIT.

Just curious, how do you know that MH hasn't made up their mind on the interiors yet? From what I gather they have been sending people to Hamburg for the past few years to work on it.

Simply because we don't hear anything about it since MH has been tight lipped and my informers do not have access into such information. What we knew is that the new First Class will be a Suite, since a set of such seat was spotted in MH's headquarters in Subang (with rough specifications info supplied). And historical facts that MH is not a proactive airlines, always slow in every decision making, not having a commendable R&D division for inflight products are not helping either. Trust that we all here want MH to come out with something so spectacular and world's beating for the new fleet of A380s but I think many are worried as quoting a prominent member here, MH is Musnah Harapan.

If MH has been working for the A380s' interior for years, will it be an original product or a copy of any of the existing suite with minor alterations here and there so that MH can call it theirs? Too bad if it is the latter (because of reasons mentioned in many of my previous posts). We would be so thrilled if someone can prove our sceptics wrong.

MALAYSIAN Airlines System Bhd (MAS) said today Airbus was delaying delivery of the carrier’s first A380 superjumbo aircraft by eight months.

Managing Director and Chief Executive Tengku Datuk Azmil Zahruddin said MAS will now take delivery of its first A380 in August 2011 instead of January 2011.

“We have never requested for the A380s to be delayed; all delays have been at Airbus’ request,” he told Dow Jones Newswires.

The six aircraft were initially supposed to be delivered from January 2007.

Airbus has said that the carrier will be compensated for the delay in the delivery of the aircraft.

Azmil said deliveries of subsequent aircraft will be pushed back to the latter part of 2011, and into 2012.

A Singapore-based spokesman for Airbus confirmed that the delivery schedule for Malaysian Airline’s order for A380 jets “has been revised.”

The official declined to say why the deliveries have been delayed and didn’t provide details on the revised delivery schedule.

Malaysia Airlines said yesterday it sunk back into the red in the third quarter, blaming losses on its fuel-hedging positions.

In the three months to September, the airline posted a net loss of RM299.6 million compared with a net profit of RM38.1 million a year earlier. - AFP

Source: http://www.btimes.com.my/Current_News/BTIMES/articles/20091126191900/Article/index_html

Just cancel the order! MAS really doesn't need those giants.

No No No A350's are better as Mas would save on cancellation fees :rolleyes:

Just cancel the order! MAS really doesn't need those giants.

We'll need it as we're phasing out the B744's by 2015 if I'm not mistaken. We'll need something to replace that. I wonder how will the config of the A380 be. Anywhere near Emirates or Virgin?

It doesn hurt to replace the B744 with B748. Much better fuel consumption than it's 400 series version.

Probably much better consumption compared to the A380-800 too.

Emirates in A380 delivery hiatus from late 2010

Speaking at the Dubai air show, Jim Moravecek, outgoing president of the 50/50 General Electric/Pratt & Whitney joint venture Engine Alliance, said that Emirates, which is the lead GP7200-powered A380 customer, had delayed deliveries: "Emirates will take 15 A380s through next year, then defer for a little while."

Full Story: http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2009/11/30/335517/emirates-in-a380-delivery-hiatus-from-late-2010.html

Seems like once the CEO has changed, MAS immediately plumped into loss.

The new CEO inherited the loss from the old CEO. The old CEO was having operating loss all the while and masking it "extraordinary income".

:clapping:

Whatever it is,I'm happy to hear more aircraft is coming,consequently more jobs available... Sorry,just passing by...

Edited by Syukri

The followings are the suite-style seats offered by 2 other airlines but both are not an A380 operator (yet?).

JET AIRWAYS FIRST CLASS (TURKISH AIRLINES FIRST CLASS, GULF AIR FIRST CLASS)

1228847.jpg

1215093.jpg

*All photographs are extracted from A.Net and KINDLY CLICK ON EACH OF THEM TO INCREASE THEIR HIT.

Following the current development, we can slash Gulf Air from the title and replace it with Royal Brunei Airlines instead. Yes, those fantastic 9W's suite seats maybe a reality aboard BI.

Just an update for the thread, Airbus has delayed the delivery of MH's first A380 from January 2011 to August 2011.

Airbus to defer A380 delivery to MAS

http://www.btimes.com.my/Current_News/BTIMES/articles/20091126191900/Article/index_html

Published: 2009/11/26

MALAYSIAN Airlines System Bhd (MAS) said today Airbus was delaying delivery of the carrier’s first A380 superjumbo aircraft by eight months. Managing Director and Chief Executive Tengku Datuk Azmil Zahruddin said MAS will now take delivery of its first A380 in August 2011 instead of January 2011.

“We have never requested for the A380s to be delayed; all delays have been at Airbus’ request,” he told Dow Jones Newswires. The six aircraft were initially supposed to be delivered from January 2007.

Airbus has said that the carrier will be compensated for the delay in the delivery of the aircraft. Azmil said deliveries of subsequent aircraft will be pushed back to the latter part of 2011, and into 2012.

A Singapore-based spokesman for Airbus confirmed that the delivery schedule for Malaysian Airline’s order for A380 jets “has been revised.” The official declined to say why the deliveries have been delayed and didn’t provide details on the revised delivery schedule.

Malaysia Airlines said yesterday it sunk back into the red in the third quarter, blaming losses on its fuel-hedging positions. In the three months to September, the airline posted a net loss of RM299.6 million compared with a net profit of RM38.1 million a year earlier. - AFP

Therefore, for a delivery on August 2011, we can expect MH's first A380 to start being constructed in Toulouse at around September 2010. Fingers crossed guys.

Just some facts to share about MH's first A380 - MSN018 that I asked in A.Net:

The parts that were made for MSN018 at the time were used for MSN045 for Singapore Airlines.

The first three airframes for MH for originally MSN018, 024 and 032. These are now listed as NTU, and the first two for MH are now MSN078 and 088. Furthermore, it appears that parts had already been built for MSN018 and were subsequently used in MSN045 (now already in service with SQ).

MSN018, MSN024 and MSN032 are all for MH (Malaysian Airlines), who deferred delivery for a few years. Per Wiki they're supposed to start getting them in 2011, so I'm not sure if those MSN's will actually be built, or MH will receive new MSNs from later in the production queue.

By the way, MSN045 for SQ that used parts made for MH's MSN018 is 9V-SKJ.

There is a story on MAS in today’s business section of the Star.

http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2010/1/23/business/5522774&sec=business

As well as discussing fleet plans and routes they confirm that they will launch a “Super Economy” class service on the A380. I reckon this could be a good thing for MAS.

They also mention that extra slots into LHR are difficult to get however they were flying 3 time per day until a year or two ago so wWhat happened to those slots?

Hope the premium eco seats are bona fide premium eco instead of the same eco seats with more legroom a la UA's.

As for the 3rd LHR slot last I heard it was allocated to AI.

Too early to say anything.. no see no believe :nea:

Looks like MH is adopting the QF style for the A380s. Not sure whether it is the right thing to do since EK, AF and LH tried to put as many seats as possible, but according to this article the decision was made based on market demand. Yes, the 3rd daily landing slot was sold to Air India during MH's selling spree at the beginning of DSIJ's term. Not sure if MH regrets the decision or not. What do you guys think?

Great article, so many insights!

The fleet modernisation will likely see enhanced product offerings by MAS, arresting previous concerns of an old operating fleet. This means passengers can look forward to better cabins and newer in-flight entertaiment. “From the customers’ perspective, they can smell the leather, just like a brand new car. And in terms of reliability it will be better,” he says, adding that MAS can spend more hours on the new aircraft in a day to fly to new destinations or increase flight frequency.

So new seats and new IFE system. Leather seats like those on FireFly and MASwings? While it may suits the B738s, do you guys think it is ok for the longer range A33Es?

Although MAS has plans to return the aircraft to PMB when the lease expires, Amin says, MAS plans to retain some of its B777. “We’re keeping some of the B777 as we move forward. What will happen is that we aim to own a third of the aircraft. Therefore we will have high assets in our balance sheet,” he adds.

Aha, of course, since MH has yet to make any renewal plan for the existing B772s.

The national carrier will be utilising the B737-800 to strengthen its domestic and regional routes; the A330-300 will serve Australia, south China, China, north Asia and Middle East while the A380 will be used to ply high density routes such as London and Sydney.

AMS is now confirmed to be dropped from the A380 destination list.

In addition, MAS senior general manager (network and revenue management) Dr Amin Khan said the airline “will restructure flights to the US while holding on to what we have in Europe and fix it.”

MH to return back to New York and probably better frequency to existing European destinations. Should be interesting to see which destination is choosen if MH wants to reinstate New York (I bet it will be from the existing destinations - FRA like SQ?)

Locally, the airline is looking at increasing its weekly capacity into Kota Kinabalu, Kuching and Penang. It will also improve services via east Malaysia to regional destinations.

I am not sure competing against AK in BKI is a good thing for the airline, but of course great news for the passengers. Competition means better price for the airfares.

On its Asean routes, Amin says MAS will announce new destinations probably by end of first quarter. He says it will increase frequency to Indonesia, Vietnam, Myanmar, Thailand and the Philippines.

Is there anymore high yielding destination in ASEAN that MH can tap into? Vientiane? Chiang Mai? Balikpapan?

MAS will also announce three new destinations to Middle East and new destinations to South Asia while increasing its frequency to Southern China.

As speculated, RUH, KWI and IKA. Seems like a good choice. MH to return back to its former Indian stations - Kolkata, Ahmedabad or probably opening up Amritsar?

Amin says the carrier is currently exploring new destinations in Japan. “We will introduce new direct service to Brisbane and announce a new destination to New Zealand soon,” he adds.

Please let it be Haneda! And MH to return to Chistchurch hey.