MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MAS A380 - Fleet to be Retained

Since this is a rumour thread, here is some news fresh off the press from Flightglobal.com.

The main thrust of the article is aimed at the expectation of a major launch order for the Bombardier C-Series aircraft by China Southern at the up and coming Farnborough International Airshow (14th-20th July 2008). However, as a sub-text in the article, a rumour for an order by MAS for the aircraft...

My question is, why would MAS need the C-Series aircraft by Bombardier after having placed an order for 20 ATR-72s, the first of which shall be delivered soon?

Here are some specs of the C-Series for those unfamiliar with the aircraft, and some comparitive stats against the airlines existing order for the ATR 72 and the B738:

Bombardier C Series:

1. Range: 1,800-2,700 NM (C110/C110ER)

2. Capacity: 110 Passengers (C110 - 32" Pitch); 130 Passengers (C130 - 32" Pitch)

3. Payload: 30,800 lbs/13,971 kg

4. Competitor Aircraft: Embraer E170/190

ATR 72-500:

1. Range: 890 NM

2. Capacity: 68 Passengers (31" Pitch); 74 passnegers (29" Pitch)

3. Payload: 16,645 lbs/7,550 kg

4. Competitor Aircraft: Bombardier Q400 (Dash-8)

Boeing 737-800 (B73H):

1. Range: 3,060 NM

2. Capacity: 162 Passnegers (2 Class); 189 Passengers (Single Class)

3. Payload: 47,000 lbs/21,319 kg

4. Competitor Aircraft: Airbus A320

Quite clearly, the C-Series sits between the ATR-72-500 and the Boeing 737-800. But if MAS were to get these aircraft, where would they be deployed and how many do you think they would get??

Again, this is all merely speculation and is based on a guesstimate by some researcher.

Just an update of the status of MH's 6 A388s.

MH was assigned with the following frame in the production line:

MSN018 | A380-841 | F-WWSO | Delivery: January 2011 | Status: Electrical harness reinstallation in TLS

MSN024 | A380-841 | F-WWSU | Delivery: March 2011 | Status: Electrical harness reinstallation in TLS

MSN032 | A380-841 | F-WW__ | Delivery: May 2011 | Status: -

MSN088 | A380-841 | F-WW__ | Delivery: July 2011 | Status: -

The other 2 frames have yet to be assigned by Airbus, but it should be either MSN089 - MSN094, MSN099 - MSN100. I believe the last 2 aircrafts will be delivered in August 2011, as indicated by MH that the airline will have all 6 A388s by then.

However, since MH postponed the delivery of the A388s to 2011, according to a source in A.Net, 'the work on MSN018 was stopped very early. I am not sure there were even partial fuselage sections built up and I think only part of a wing set was completed. So the parts were likely assigned to other frames and MSN018 will be a "new build" unit when it comes time to start production'. And I believe MH's second A388, MSN024 is having the same fate as well.

January 2011 is 23 months away from now. There seems to be no news at all from MH regarding the interior, first flight, special features, marketing campaign and so on.

Edited by Mohd Azizul Ramli

The first known news about the interior of MH's A380s. Copied from the Observation Hill subforum.

a MH A380 1st class seat is in szb for training purposes. come with 22 or 24 inch LCD with Hi-Def recorder. It's in cubicle.

The first known news about the interior of MH's A380s. Copied from the Observation Hill subforum.

I really hope MH will not make the same mistake it did with its current "new" premium seats on the 744/ 772, ...i.e. introduce in 2011 a me-too seat that was first introduced to the world in 2008 or earlier.

having 2more is ok.....if we cant fill it up. we can always lease it to anyone :pardon:

I really hope MH will not make the same mistake it did with its current "new" premium seats on the 744/ 772, ...i.e. introduce in 2011 a me-too seat that was first introduced to the world in 2008 or earlier.

Agreed. Please MH make Malaysia very proud this time! To spice things up, here are the current First/Suite class seats on all 3 airlines in the world, which operate the A380:

SINGAPORE AIRLINES SUITE

Seat Features

The Singapore Airlines Suites, exclusively available onboard the A380, provide a privileged few with their very own haven of tranquility. Luxuriate in the largest ever seat; a lavish armchair hand-stitched by master Italian craftsmen Poltrona Frau.

suite_seatfeature_1.jpg

At up to 35 inches across, your seat is unsurpassed in comfort and space. With a sundeck position, adjustable headrest and armrests, and simple electronic controls, lounge in luxury in the most exclusive seat in the sky.

Or for the first time ever, experience the pleasure of sleeping on a standalone bed; not one converted from a seat. Along with our signature turn-down service, fine linen and full-sized pillows, you are assured of restful slumber.

suite_seatfeature_2.jpg

With only 12 extraordinary suites, available to the most discerning guests on each of our A380 aircraft, the Singapore Airlines Suites is truly in a class beyond first – a class that is yours alone.

An unprecedented level of privacy

Each cabin features sliding doors and window blinds, offering you the freedom to decide on the level of privacy you prefer. Even the leather and wood finishes have been designed in soothing natural hues to enhance the sense of serenity.

suite_seatfeature_3.jpg

The premium cabin has also been laid out to offer more stowage space for your cabin baggage and personal items, and a full length wardrobe – all within easy reach.

suite_seatfeature_4.jpg

A cabin unlike any other

Whether discussing business, or sharing a relaxing moment, the Singapore Airlines Suite is exceptionally accommodating, with a soft leather chaise lounge across from the armchair and a large dining table.

suite_seatfeature_5.jpg

Everything required to do business, or enjoy KrisWorld is easily accessible, including a multi-port with power supply, headphone connection, USB ports and more.

suite_seatfeature_6.jpg

However you choose to enjoy this personal cabin, you will discover that every detail has been crafted to offer you the luxury and privacy of a class beyond first – a class that is yours alone.

Exclusively available onboard the A380.

Immerse yourself in non-stop entertainment

suite_entertainment_1.jpg

Comfortably cocooned, revel in KrisWorld, our state-of-the-art inflight entertainment system. Imagine a feast of movies, TV shows, music, games, language courses and office software, all on a 23-inch widescreen LCD – the largest in the sky.

An exhaustive range of entertainment options, including audio and video-on-demand, leaves you spoilt for choice. Featuring 100 movies, including the latest blockbusters, and more than 180 TV shows, KrisWorld presents you with your very own cinema in the sky.

For the music lover, choose from an extensive library of 700 CDs and over 20 radio channels.

Exclusively available onboard the A380.

EMIRATES A380 PRIVATE SUITES

Retreat to the comfort of your own private suite, that is situated on the upper deck of the Emirates A380

Enjoy your own sanctuary in spacious private suites, each equipped with an electrically operated sliding door, a personal mini-bar, adjustable ambient lighting, and its own vanity table, mirror and wardrobe.

Every seat has a built-in massage system, with adjustable speed and intensity. Our Emirates A380 crew will convert your seat to a fully flat bed with a mattress, so you can arrive at your destination relaxed and refreshed.

EKA380-2.jpg

Each suite in the A380 has a 23” television screen, allowing you to explore over 1000 on-demand video and audio channels of our award winning ice Digital Widescreen entertainment system.

The privacy divider separating the adjoining suites in the centre row can also be lowered, allowing you to share the experience with your travel companion.

Dine-on-demand meal service, allows you to order from our a la carte menu any time you desire.

Making your experience of the Emirates A380 truly memorable, you will be treated to the excellent service from our award winning multilingual crew from over 100 nations.

QANTAS A380 FIRST SUITE

qantas1.jpg

qantas2.jpg

qantas3.jpg

qantas4.jpg

qantas6.jpg

qantas5.jpg

qantas7.jpg

qantas8.jpg

qantas9.jpg

So, since the information that we had about MH A380 at the moment is only that it is a cubicle (or I believe it is a Suite) and the size of the IFE screen of 22 - 24 inch, the comparison with the other 3 A380 operators are as follows:

IFE Screen

SQ - 23 inch

EK - 23 inch

QF - 17 inch

MH - (22 - 24 inch) *Will MH go with the 24 inch LCD screen, so that we can brag about having the largest LCD screen in the First Class A380 Suite in the world?

Suite Type

SQ - Private

EK - Private

QF - Not Private (no sliding door)

MH - ??? I really hope MH go for the Private Suite!

*All photographs and screenshots are from the website of SQ, EK and QF respectively.

Azizul,

u need to also add the first suites of Jet Airways and CX. Dont need a 380 to have a first suite.

So, all in all, MH, for a 2011 entry, the product will have to be a much better evolution of these products. (I dont think MH is the type that can come up with a totally different wow product for 2011 - hence, just a superb evolution would do.)

CX and 9W's First Class Suites are nice too, but my previous post only benchmarked against those on the A380 only to be consistent with the aircraft type. I will try to search the others later.

We have all the reasons to be sceptical about MH, (MH being MH - slow, very slowww) but hopefully, who knows... I really really hope that MH will use this 23 months period before the delivery of the first A380 in January 2011 to research and come out with a mind blowing, out of the world product (maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration but you get my point). If the end product is the direct imitation of the likes of SQ, EK and QF (soon AF and LH too) without even a little enhancement/evolution, it would be very tragic since SQ and EK would probably will introduce their second generation A380 First Class Suites then. SQ A380 Suites will be almost 5 years old by January 2011.

CX and 9W's First Class Suites are nice too, but my previous post only benchmarked against those on the A380 only to be consistent with the aircraft type. I will try to search the others later.

It does not have to be on the A380 now. For instance, SQ's F in the 77W was meant to be the F on its 380 were it introduced as originally scheduled in 2006. And CX new F is very much similar to QF's F on the latter's 380.

What is a "hi-def" recorder, eh?

Anyway, Etihad's new First Class as posted on A.net

6bdc7a653c.jpg

fe8e37e8ef.jpg

If MH were to be 'in the game', they will have to top this by about two years worth of R&D.

Emirates 1st class seating looks crammed

well MH seems to enjoy using space as a an advantage (World Largest Golden lounge ? KLIA ? MH A380 commercial about 2 ppl on a beach? ) . maybe our A380's will include dedicated showers and spa treatment :pardon: :p :P

For instance, SQ's F in the 77W was meant to be the F on its 380 were it introduced as originally scheduled in 2006.

I'm not too sure about this. As far as I know, SQ's A380 was always meant to have the private suite. SQ had always planned for the A380s to revolutionize air travel, and to have an F that was distinctly different from the rest of the fleet. I remember that there was talk among my former colleagues in SQ about this, way before the news about the A380 delay.

I personally find the cubicle/suite a little claustrophobic since what you see all around you is panels, panels and more panels.

Referring to a proposal to MAS in 01/02 when they were engineering their current F product, semi-translucent curtains were used as partitions between seats. It would give a more spacious and airy feeling while not losing a certain amount of privacy. As for where to mount the (hopefully) 24-inch screen it'll be an interesting thing to ponder upon

Untitled-1-2.jpg

Untitled-2-1.jpg

These are/were for the 747 but I doubt MAS is going to change the cabin interior for this aged plane anymore... The concepts were dated 2002, so I don't know if these will still be implemented or if they've been already rejected. Anyone knows when was the last time MAS updated their first/biz product? This company also designed SQ's current First and Biz Class seats... theres also a video here: http://www.jpadesign.com/

Update the concept with a fully-flat bed with linen and down-filled duvet and MH would not be far behind.

Edited by jysim

I personally find the cubicle/suite a little claustrophobic since what you see all around you is panels, panels and more panels.

Referring to a proposal to MAS in 01/02 when they were engineering their current F product, semi-translucent curtains were used as partitions between seats. It would give a more spacious and airy feeling while not losing a certain amount of privacy.

From my reading of many trip reports in A.Net, the majority of those who fly in Premium Class prefer a Suite type of First Class cabin because of privacy and the amount of personal space. I could simply point out 2 seasoned A.Net Premium travellers, who specifically requested Thai Airways (TG) to come out with a Suite type of First Class cabin when they were asked to fill in a questionnaire for the airline's A380 First Class Cabin.

Claustophobic person may opt not to close their Suite's sliding door as a solution to their problem.

The superseeded rendering may looks nice, but I have the feeling that the semi translucent curtain would make the First Class Cabin looks like a hair salon or a dental clinic. I could be wrong though, because the concept has yet to be tried by any airlines.

I'm not too sure about this. As far as I know, SQ's A380 was always meant to have the private suite. SQ had always planned for the A380s to revolutionize air travel, and to have an F that was distinctly different from the rest of the fleet. I remember that there was talk among my former colleagues in SQ about this, way before the news about the A380 delay.

Yes it is. Public information, and also quoted on some program re SQ's A380.

And in terms of revolutionizing air travel, it was EK that first came out with suites, with doors.

MH A380 1st class seat, 1 only, is in szb for training purposes. It's a single person cubicle with 22 or 24 inch LCD with HD recorder on it.

Another info copied from the Observation Hill subforum.

It's a single seat cubicle, not sure whether it was leather or not as the manufacturer representative was seating on it. It's like wood finish colour on some part.

Wooden finish - EK seats lookalike?

Yes it is. Public information, and also quoted on some program re SQ's A380.

And in terms of revolutionizing air travel, it was EK that first came out with suites, with doors.

Public info versus insider info, it's always difficult to tell which is true; but ok, if it's mentioned in a TV program, it must be true :)

I wasn't making any comparison or touting the superiority of SQ's suites when I said that they wanted to revolutionize air travel. I was merely repeating SQ's marketing tagline. But since we are on this topic, I do agree that EK was the first to come up with suites in F (with doors)... SQ simply copied the concept, took it a step further and came up with something quite different aka their stand alone bed. I don't have that kind of money to sit in F, so I can't really comment which is better.

MH's first TVC campaign for the A380 titled Dream, which was rolled out on 12 December 2004. No one would expect that the aircraft will be arriving 6 years later.

"> " type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Comparing the operates of A380, emirates,SQ and Qf

1.QF have choosen to have 4 classes, F,J, preminum economy and economy. The other 2 operators have 3 classes config.

2.Also QF is now thinking of ripping its too many bussiness class seats (70), which majority travel empty and replace it withmore premium economy.

3. Guess showers (EK) are a waste of time on a commercial jet, but thats my opinion.

4. SQ and Ek both have sky suites,QF more regular looking FC seats.Please bear in mind that while sky suites provide optimum privacy it makes the cabin feel less roomier.

5. SQ have economy upsteirs and down, while QF has bussiness class and preminum economy upstairs.

6. What kind of J product would be good. CX herringbone type (thought very narrow) or SQ type j seats.?

If Mh concentrates on preminum economy, pricing it between J and economy will it be a hit as the poorer masses dont mind paying a bit more instead of being squeeezed into cattle class.Also it willl be an oppertunity to get coperate travellers and customers who used to travel J.

So to all MW what design is favourable in your opinion for MH, knowing the conditions that MH operates. Also what advances would make it stand out from the other operators.LIke screen sizes in EY,premium EY.

Please justify as why do you think that that suggestion is the right one.

thank you.