MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MAS A380 - Fleet to be Retained

was on mh to kix end of last year... flight's not even half filled on Y. biz is almost empty.

Was on MH to KIX recently twice, once in economy and once in gcc class, pretty good load, the plane was about 85% full on economy, business was pretty full. Travelled both on november

Airbus Sees Firm A380 Orders From Malaysia Soon

December 5, 2007

Airbus expects to firm up orders for A380 aircraft from Malaysia Airlines (MAS) within 30-60 days, Chief Operating Officer John Leahy said on Wednesday.

There had been speculation earlier this year that Malaysia Airlines might cancel its orders for six A380s after delays by Airbus in delivering the superjumbo to clients.

But Leahy said he expected the airline to confirm orders of the aircraft, though he did not say how many, nor would he discuss the details of compensation for delays in delivery.

"Right now we are wrapping up and finalizing all orders on the A380 and I would expect that we would be doing that, probably in the next 30 to 60 days," he told reporters at an airshow in Malaysia when asked when the carrier would confirm its order.

"There is a compensation for Malaysia Airlines," he added.

State news agency Bernama reported last month that Malaysia Airlines had originally planned on first delivery this year, then this was delayed until 2011 but later brought back to 2009.

Asked if Airbus could meet first delivery in 2009, Leahy said: "We're still finalizing that with MAS. I am not sure they want it in 2009. We are working with them on that. It could be later."

(Reuters)

I dont know how they will fill up the planes, but A380 for MH is great, IMO.

This may be ahead of time, but some changes to the livery, maybe. The current livery doesnt look that good on the 380. Just my 2cents. :pardon:

My 4th rumour thread! :)

Rumours are spreading that MH (through PMB) will proceed with the purchase of 6 A380s. On top of that, MH is also being offered 2 additional A380s with hefty discounts as a compensation package for the delay of the A380s. MH is expected to accept the deal. Sources from LIMA stated that an announcement is expected within '30-60 days'. MH will be operating 8 A380s.

Azizul

Two other possibilities:

- MH will only take delivery much later, 2010 onwards.

- As PMB is the actual purchaser & main shareholder of MH, it is possible that extra frames may be leased out to other operators. Hence, MH may still operate just 6 units.

If MH indeed will choose AMS for the A380 operation, it will be the one and only airline up to now planning to do so, even ahead of SQ, which currently operates 772's to AMS...

However, if KLM chooses to channel the AU and NZ passengers via TPE in future (CI to become ST member), than around 50% of the current 744 loads will disappear, eliminating the need for the A380 !!! :blink:

Well, they WON'T be flying MH Dugongs to Mukah and Lahad Datu anytime soon. Current expansion plans for those two airports call for Jumbo capable specs only ! :)

I may be one of the few that hope MAS don't get the A380's and instead go for B77W's.

But of course in terms of corporate image, canceling the A380 order would be a disaster.

So the best I can hope for is the still get the A380's and at the same time renew the fleet with some B77W's :D

Actually, I totally forgot about the 747-8's. It'll be even better if MAS can get a packaged deal for a mix of 77W's and 748's instead of being apparently ripped off by Airbus for the A380's.

What do you guys think?

I think MH should donate one A380 to Firefly so they can operate SZB-SIN-KCH-MYY-LBU-BKI once weekly. And since it goes to borneo, one side should be painted in MASwings colour (just like the concorde where BA/SQ operated a joint LHR-BAH-SIN service).

8 MH's A380s are on its way.

Saw this online yesterday in ATWonline

-----------------------

Airbus, Boeing expected to announce more than $20 billion in orders in Singapore

Airbus and Boeing are expected to announce orders for at least $20 billion worth of aircraft at this week's Singapore Airshow.

In a major fleet upgrade, Garuda is expected to order 10 777-200ERs to support route expansion plans to Europe, the Middle East and North Asia. The order is in addition to a commitment for 10 787s.

Indonesia's Lion Air, which has eight 737-900ERs in service and a further 114 on order, is expected to add to that number with orders this week.

Reports from Malaysia indicate that Malaysia Airlines will order up to 40 737-800s and 777-300ERs to replace its 747-400s. The carrier also is strongly considering 747-8Fs. Sources suggest that MAS may have reached agreement with Airbus on A380 delay compensation and could order an additional two of the type.

Airbus also is holding a number of letters of intent that are expected to be converted into orders during the show.

By Geoffrey Thomas

8 MH's A380s are on its way.

IJ is talking about overcapacity, M&A, bla ... bla ... bla, and yet this? Defies the logical circuit of my little brain!

Well if I'm not mistaken the two additional orders are at a very low price so you can't really blame him for taking it, can you?

At worst they can lease them off or something.

Bagi dekat TF ke? Hahaha

In Malaysia, 90% of rumours turn to be the truth at the end of the day. :drinks:

Rumour is always the truth whereas the official statement is always taken with truckload of salt.

But honestly where are they sending this behemoth when they already talking about overcapacity in the future, doesn't make sense at all....domestic flight, KL to KK?

IJ is talking about overcapacity, M&A, bla ... bla ... bla, and yet this? Defies the logical circuit of my little brain!

Well, it can fit within his hub-&-spoke strategy, where MH will not do much point-to-point but to rely on partners to provide the distribution at the destination.

But honestly where are they sending this behemoth ..... domestic flight, KL to KK?

Oh yes, ............ please ! :)

Perhaps it's an innovative take on the hub and spoke strategy - once perhaps twice daily frequencies on BKI-KUL, KCH-KUL (and other major domestic points) by the dugong. Pax are then ferried out from KUL to other more exotic destinations by the incoming 737NG's or busses :pardon:

Edited by BC Tam

Alamak....while MAS is still pissing about, look at what our esteemed colleagues from down south are up to!

From Business Times:

Airbus targets more A380 sales to SIA

Published: 2008/02/21

SINGAPORE: Airbus wants to sell another 15 A380 superjumbos to Singapore Airlines, even as it lags main rival Boeing in new orders this year and has forecast orders half as much orders in 2008 as last year.

The European plane maker’s chief salesman said yesterday that he is aiming to talk with Singapore Airlines over the purchase of the world’s largest passenger jet, and another 20 A330 or A350 widebody planes.

“I would think (Singapore Airlines) will definitely need another 10 to 15 A380 category aircraft, and I think they need at least 20 more aircraft in the A330, A350 category,” Airbus chief operating office John Leahy told reporters on the sidelines of the Singapore Airshow. - Reuters

At the rate things are going, we may come to scenario where you have SQ and TG dugongs plying SIN/BKK overfly MH's management office/boardroom where the learned members are still gathered to debate on compensation package from Airbus :)

Similarly, could be EK and PR 77W's plying Dubai/Manila overfly the same rooms where the learned members are gathered to debate on MH's 744 replacement metal instead :pardon:

Edited by BC Tam