MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

Official: Tiger and Jetstar to serve SIN-KUL-SIN

I think Firefly application was rejected by the Govt due to its low capacity aircraft. Why carry 50 pax when u can carry more on a limited slots right? After all TF will be one furious guy if Firefly was given 1 flight leaving AK with only one.

What was Firefly's intention to exist in the first place? If I recall correctly, it was to serve the unserved routes, and they do well in that by flying PEN-KUA etc. Now they want to fly to everywhere, when its parent company already flies to the same destinations. Wouldn't it canibbalize the parent's own services?

Perhaps one day, most intra Peninsular flights will be flown by FY, leaving the parent with international routes.

Perhaps one day, most intra Peninsular flights will be flown by FY, leaving the parent with international routes.

i think so..

how about Berjaya Air? they still fly to Seletar from SZB?

i think so..

I believe Berjaya Air is more about feeding its hotels and resorts, rather that commercial passenger services. There is a huge Berjaya Hotel in KL too...in Times Square. Even in their marketing, they combine hotel / resort stays with their flights, such as "Fly and stay for free" in their resorts at Tioman etc.

firefly is another way for mas to get back at uncle tony. mas is obsessed with attacking ak head on. and they are losing badly too.

in the meantime, sq and ek continue their upward trend.

mas will become another has been if ij is not careful.

i think so..

Berjaya operates Tioman/Seletar not SZB/Seletar

Hi everybody, i'm a little bit confuse...

Why Singapore got 2 new airlines to operate KL-SIN, meanwhile Malaysia have only one airlines (AK)...

is this fair?

Last week while I was doing KUL-KBR sector heard from R/T transmission that youre cool F50 airline Fireflyz with a POB of only 5.Thats 4 operating crew plus 1 pax.How to make money like that.And it was a flight from SZB-JHB.

Another was a flight from PEN-SZB with a POB of 10,although slightly better but its not making much of an impact is it.That day I was doing KUL/PEN/KUL/BKI/KUL sector and my plane for all 4 sectors was 80% full plus underbelly cargo.

And last Mon (7/1/08) did flight KUL-OOL,manage to climb to initial cruise FL370 and finally to FL410 at TNK VOR,we outclimb the MH flight to YBBN that night,but cant say for the POB though,our POB that night was 85% full,probably it was more than ours since it was an extra flight (MH7371).

Last week while I was doing KUL-KBR sector heard from R/T transmission that youre cool F50 airline Fireflyz with a POB of only 5.Thats 4 operating crew plus 1 pax.How to make money like that.And it was a flight from SZB-JHB.

Another was a flight from PEN-SZB with a POB of 10,although slightly better but its not making much of an impact is it.That day I was doing KUL/PEN/KUL/BKI/KUL sector and my plane for all 4 sectors was 80% full plus underbelly cargo.

And last Mon (7/1/08) did flight KUL-OOL,manage to climb to initial cruise FL370 and finally to FL410 at TNK VOR,we outclimb the MH flight to YBBN that night,but cant say for the POB though,our POB that night was 85% full,probably it was more than ours since it was an extra flight (MH7371).

Leisure or tourists travelers are mostly seasonal and more flexible in term of schedule and connection, and sensitive to price. Business travelers don’t mind to pay a premium price for flexible schedule and direct flight.

MH failed to attract premium pax internationally because of poor scheduling. Guess Fireflyz hasn’t learn from the same mistake.

MH7371 is operated by A332, with maximum capacity of 229 passengers. So, 85% passengers on D7's A333 should be more than MH's. (85% x 315 = 268 passengers).

Haven't seen this sofar, so, will post this 'old' news:

Tiger Takes Option For 20 Airbus A320s

December 18, 2007

Tiger Airways, a low-fare airline partly owned by Singapore Airlines, said on Tuesday that it has taken an option for 20 more Airbus A320s.

The budget carrier in October signed a contract for 30 A320s with options for 20 more. With this latest order the firm's fleet will grow to 70 planes. :blink:

Tiger Airways already operates a fleet of nine A320s with 11 more to be delivered by 2010.

Regional budget carriers such as Malaysia's AirAsia are expanding their fleets amidst growing flight liberalization in Asia, with Tiger Airways taking up new routes in Australia, South Korea, and between Singapore and Malaysia.

(Reuters)

AirAsia Sees Growth On KL-Singapore Route

January 10, 2008

AirAsia, Asia's largest budget airline, expects to carry 250,000 passengers on its new Kuala Lumpur-Singapore route this year and aims to expand destinations with extra flights to Vietnam and Indonesia.

Two daily flights between Singapore and Kuala-Lumpur will start February 1, though the firm could not say what market share it expected to grab from current monopoly holders Singapore Airlines and Malaysia Airlines.

"Over the next 5 years, we expect to carry about 7 million passengers between Singapore and Malaysia," said Tony Fernandes, chief executive of AirAsia, at a press conference.

Singapore and Malaysian governments decided to partially open the Singapore-Kuala Lumpur air route in November last year, by allowing four daily services by low-cost carriers, ahead of an "open skies" policy by Southeast Asian nations.

Fernandes said he is eyeing routes between Singapore and the Malaysian cities of Penang, Kota Kinabalu and Kuching.

"KL-Singapore was a giddy knot -- breaking that makes opening up the others a lot easier," he said.

With oil prices soaring, AirAsia will aim to pass on the costs to passengers by charging them for services such as priority boarding and internet check-in, Fernandes said.

AirAsia will also be looking to open an air route to Ho Chi Minh City in Vietnam and to fly to more Indonesian destinations.

"We have so many planes coming in, it's a matter of where to put them," Fernandes said. AirAsia said it recently ordered 175 Airbus A320s to be delivered by 2013.

A spokeswoman said long-haul budget carrier AirAsiaX, in which AirAsia holds a 20 percent stake, was in discussions with Airbus to buy more planes, but nothing had been decided.

AirAsia's competitors Jetstar and Tiger Airways will also have rights to operate a daily return service from Singapore to Kuala Lumpur. Jetstar is a unit of Australia's Qantas Airways, while Tiger is 49 percent held by Singapore Airlines.

(Reuters)

AirAsia Sees Growth On KL-Singapore Route

Fernandes said he is eyeing routes between Singapore and the Malaysian cities of Penang, Kota Kinabalu and Kuching.

AirAsia will also be looking to open an air route to Ho Chi Minh City in Vietnam and to fly to more Indonesian destinations.

AK is the favourite child, uncle Tony will get whatever (almost) he wants.

Ooops! SIN/IPH is not on his list yet. :pardon:

:drinks:

So how are the budget airlines doing on this route?

On Thursday I took the Jetstar flight from Sin—Kul as a walk up pax i.e I brought my ticket at the airport. The cost was SGD 133 where as the shuttle is around the SGD 170 mark. The ticket desk was so slow with the lone agent taking 20-25 mins to process the 2 pax in front of me so not a good start.

I was shocked at the flight loading and I counted less then 40 persons on the flight and not many more awaiting the return leg.

The very cramped seating made the flight very uncomfortable especially as we taxied for 30+ mins at Changi owing to hot brakes .

At the moment all the while I can afford it I’ll pay the SGD extra and take SQ shuttle or the bus

I guess that's because he can proves that his business model works....

And he can dump what he doesn't want after getting it.......remember RAS? Oooooops forgot oredi.......

175 A320s by 2013, 5 years from now.... good news for wannabes....

4 sets of crew per plane means 700 sets of pilots in 2013 barely 5 years from now....that's 700 Captain and 700 F/O positions to be filled up.

Parents can start planning for their Form 3 kid to be a Pilot by the time they hit 18. :good:

And that's not including the 20 or so widebodies which will require 140 sets. That's 280 positions. :good:

Coooool.......Soon when you throw a stone into the crowd at KLIA, there's a great likelihood it will land on a pilot's head. :D

Coooool.......Soon when you throw a stone into the crowd at KLIA, .....

I'm sure that is not advisable this day and age. Goodness knows what security will make of one then ....... :p

Edited by BC Tam

...Parents can start planning for their Form 3 kid to be a Pilot by the time they hit 18. :good:

isn't that something good? in the older days, you can only DREAM to be one unless you have money or you're able to get a scholarship from the airline.

I'm not sure how long this site has been up, but Jetstar now has website for Malaysia. No offense to bahasa kebangsaan but I just find it a bit strange that this being Made in Australia, the local Malaysian site is only available in BM but not in English.

Home (as in homepage) is translated as Rerumah. :D Wouldn't Muka utama sound better?

http://www.jetstar.com/my/

From today's Star - ties in with what I saw last week when I took the 3K flight. In addition the staff at the SIN shuttle ticket desk say that there hasnt really been a change.

MAS and SIA face no pressure to cut KL-Singapore airfares

SINGAPORE: Do not expect Singapore Airlines (SIA) and Malaysia Airlines (MAS) to slash their fares for flights between the republic and Kuala Lumpur any time soon.

Two weeks after the lucrative route was partially opened to budget airlines, the two national carriers are under no pressure to make drastic cuts.

In fact, according to Tiger Airways and Jetstar Asia, travellers’ habits have not changed significantly. Their flights are, on average, just over half-full.

SIA chief executive officer Chew Choon Seng and MAS managing director Datuk Seri Idris Jala confirmed that the competition has not made an appreciable dent in business.

‘‘Things are not as bad as we had thought,’’ Idris told reporters on the sidelines of the inaugural Singapore Airshow Aviation Leadership Summit on Monday.

SIA is not unduly worried either, but it is too early to say, Chew said.

For Tiger and Jetstar, they say, one problem is that old travel habits are hard to break.

‘‘It will take some time to change the traditional booking patterns on that route, where people have been used to turning up at the airport and just seeing what is available,’’ Tiger president and CEO Tony Davis said.

That the budget airlines currently operate just one flight a day each also means they are not able to serve travellers on day trips.

Between them, SIA and MAS operate 13 daily flights, offering more than 21,000 round-trip seats a week – four times the capacity of budget airlines.

But budget airlines are looking ahead to December to make up for lost ground.

That will be when all restrictions on the route are lifted to allow budget carriers to fly as often as they wish between the two points. – The Straits Times/Asia News Network

From today's Star - ties in with what I saw last week when I took the 3K flight. In addition the staff at the SIN shuttle ticket desk say that there hasnt really been a change.

...THis is why...

http://www.todayonline.com/articles/238352print.asp

Slow take-off for budget carriers

Load on Sin-KL route still to meet carriers' expectations

Tuesday • February 19, 2008

LEONG WEE KEAT

weekeat@mediacorp.com.sg

TWO new entrants to the Singapore-Kuala Lumpur sector, Jetstar Asia and Tiger Airways, have experienced "lower than expected" passenger loads on flights.

Jetstar chief Cheong Phit Lian said loads on the budget carrier are in their "50s", lower than the Singapore-Macau sector, which was launched on the same day and is enjoying a load factor of about 70 per cent.

Rival Tiger Airways is experiencing "a little higher" load, but its chief, Tony Davis, said: "It is still lower than what we would like."

Both carriers were given one return flight daily from Feb 1, when partial liberalisation on the Singapore-KL route kicked in. Passengers on Malaysia Airlines and Singapore Airlines (SIA) pay around $400 for the 45-minute return trip. Budget carriers offer fares at about half that amount.

While noting it is "still early days", SIA chief Chew Choon Seng said the entry of budget carriers has had "no effect on yields yet". He added: "As we go forward, we shall see some interesting price manoeuvres."

MAS chief Idris Jala noted that people who chose to fly on low-cost carriers are those switching from express buses. Aviation consultant Prithpal Singh told Today the North-South Highway — a good overland route — is providing travellers with a viable option to air travel between the two cities.

But Jetstar's Ms Cheong is confident demand will pick up. The airline plans to increase return flights on the sector to six, come December.

For now, the airline plans to "communicate better" to customers that they can also buy tickets at the terminal, just as they do for the SIA and MAS shuttle flights.

I guess the business market will stil go for SIA/MAS, while the leisure traveller finds buses are still cheaper and more convenient. We'll see how it goes.