MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

Official: Tiger and Jetstar to serve SIN-KUL-SIN

The Singapore government has decided to give the 2 slots for LCC in the SIN-KUL-SIN route to both SQ owned Tiger Airways and QF owned Jetstar Asia. Each carrier will be given 1 daily flight to KUL.

Earlier, the Malaysian government awarded AirAsia with 2 daily flights.

This is a continuation of a thread which happened to be missing during the MW crash.

Will Tiger and Jetstar use LCCT or MTB?

Seeing they are LCCs I would bet they'll use LCCT.

Then again, if they used MTB would that be more desirable to pax?

From all reports, the Changi LCCT will be used in Singapore and the LCCT in KLIA will be used. THis would upset Jetstar quite badly because they have always operated from the MTB at Changi. We'll see though... This is a huge win for them!

Alex.

I think more and more people will choose to travel by plane to Singapore in future compared to the express bus services..

:yahoo:

From all reports, the Changi LCCT will be used in Singapore and the LCCT in KLIA will be used. THis would upset Jetstar quite badly because they have always operated from the MTB at Changi. We'll see though... This is a huge win for them!

Alex.

My hunch is, Tiger will use LCCT while Jetstar will use the Satellite terminal. Jetstar in KL and Singapore both use the main terminal, so there is no reason why they should move to LCCT.

Not sure about AirAsia in SIN though, as the current Thai AirAsia uses T1.

I agreed with Azri. In addition, Jetstar (International) also operate into KUL Main Terminal Building for their SYD-KUL-SYD run. They may opt for MTB to ease connection for their passengers. I still remember their CEO, Alan Joyce told the media that the difference between airport charges in KUL MTB and KUL LCCT wasn't significant.

I also believe, should Jetstar Asia operates in MTB while Tiger chooses LCCT, Jetstar will have an added advantage. I think most passengers prefer the 28 minutes KLIA Express train than the 90 minutes Skybus.

I will surely go for Jetstar if Jetstar use Satellit terminal(KLIA) and Changi Terminal 1(SIN). It is much more convenient taking train ride from main terminal instead of LCCT and budget terminal where you have to take bus to downtown.

I guess Air Asia most probably will depart from changi terminal 1 as its affiliate FD does.

I will surely go for Jetstar if Jetstar use Satellit terminal(KLIA) and Changi Terminal 1(SIN). It is much more convenient taking train ride from main terminal instead of LCCT and budget terminal where you have to take bus to downtown.

I guess Air Asia most probably will depart from changi terminal 1 as its affiliate FD does.

It's all come to price as well. I can see that Jetstar and Tiger in SIN are not quite comparable. Tiger tends to pay less tax than Jetstar as Jetstar uses T1 while Tiger uses the Budget Terminal. Similar to Thai AirAsia as they also use T1.

If Tiger uses the budget terminals in Malaysia and Singapore, AirAsia uses LCCT and T1 in SIN, while Jetstar uses premium terminals in both countries, this is the order the price will likely be:

MOST PRICIEST:

1. Jetstar

2. AirAsia

3. Tiger Airways

Of course, they will always want to compete but airport tax can be quite significant especially considering this is a very short flight.

However, AirAsia will have an added benefit as it offers 2 flights as opposed to 1 flight each by Jetstar and Tiger.

This will be interesting to watch this 3-prong budget competition.

Just a shame the first flight won't take off until February next year. Now i have to pay RM711/person for a round-trip ticket to SIN :angry:

Guest redharahmad
One question here:

When will these new choices possible to be happened?

Based on yesterday's media reports, the first flights are expected to commence on 01 February with bookings to be made available from the third week of December.

Based on yesterday's media reports, the first flights are expected to commence on 01 February with bookings to be made available from the third week of December.

Good, maybe I can try during my KUL trip in Mar/ May 2008

I assume that more competitors make the fare more competitive and may offer lower price. But those on the north have the alternative to travel by air. As for me living in Melaka, i prefer bus express where is cheaper and travel with just not more than 5 hours to Singapore. :D

Tentative prices for a single journey ticket SIN-KUL:

• Jetstar SGD 56
  • Tiger 20% from MH and SQ fares (20% x SGD 300 = SGD 60).

So how much will our mighty AirAsia charges?

Conversion of fares into MYR:

• Jetstar MYR 129.47
  • Tiger MYR 138.72
p/s I am not sure if the above prices are inclusive of the tax and surcharge or not.

Tentative prices for a single journey ticket SIN-KUL:
  • Jetstar SGD 56
  • Tiger 20% from MH and SQ fares (20% x SGD 300 = SGD 60).
So how much will our mighty AirAsia charges?

Conversion of fares into MYR:

• Jetstar MYR 129.47
  • Tiger MYR 138.72
p/s I am not sure if the above prices are inclusive of the tax and surcharge or not.

AirAsia quoted to say "RM150 one way inclusive of tax" in this news - http://www.todayonline.com/articles/223821.asp

Remember, that both Tiger and AirAsia only allow 15 kg of luggage, while Jetstar allows 20 kg. There is advantage there for Jetstar. Then again, AirAsia with 2 flights a day means there will be more cheap seats for AirAsia compared to both airlines.

Hi everybody, i'm a little bit confuse...

Why Singapore got 2 new airlines to operate KL-SIN, meanwhile Malaysia have only one airlines (AK)...

is this fair?

Hi everybody, i'm a little bit confuse...

Why Singapore got 2 new airlines to operate KL-SIN, meanwhile Malaysia have only one airlines (AK)...

is this fair?

Each country is given 2 flights a day

SIN - Tiger & Jetstar - one flight each

MAL - AK - two flights

another question that irks me, are both AK and TR bound to only use their current fleet or are they allowed to throw in any fleet of any size to ply the route?

Actually Sofian asked a good question. Why don't Firefly came forward with its case based on the scenario, where 2 Singaporean airlines are given the rights but only one from Malaysia?

Firefly cannot be considered as part of MH as it is operating on a different AOC. Anyway, TR is also 49% owned by SQ, so this matter shouldn't be raised.

I think when the 2 governments signed the agreement, they don't specifically mentioned that the airline that they are going to nominate has to operate a jet or a turbo propeller and has to fly between KUL-SIN, not SZB or Seletar or other combinations (in view of Firefly), do they?

The argument that Firefly don't have enough fleet is not valid as well as they recently launched SZB-KUA. I think it won't be such a problem for them to deploy the F50 to Seletar for only 1 flight a day.

Is this something that the Firefly's management overlooked or are they also slow in decision making, like their parent company?

Guest redharahmad
Actually Sofian asked a good question. Why don't Firefly came forward with its case based on the scenario, where 2 Singaporean airlines are given the rights but only one from Malaysia?

Firefly cannot be considered as part of MH as it is operating on a different AOC. Anyway, TR is also 49% owned by SQ, so this matter shouldn't be raised.

I think when the 2 governments signed the agreement, they don't specifically mentioned that the airline that they are going to nominate has to operate a jet or a turbo propeller and has to fly between KUL-SIN, not SZB or Seletar or other combinations (in view of Firefly), do they?

The argument that Firefly don't have enough fleet is not valid as well as they recently launched SZB-KUA. I think it won't be such a problem for them to deploy the F50 to Seletar for only 1 flight a day.

Is this something that the Firefly's management overlooked or are they also slow in decision making, like their parent company?

I believe that I did read in the newspapers (sorry cant find the source annymore) that firefly did apply for the rights to fly SZB-SIN/XSP but their application was rejected in favour of 2 AK flights. Maybe they are just not as aggressive as AK in lobbying the government.