MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
BC Tam

AK Air Freight ?

Do Air Asia flights carry air freight in the birds' bellies ?

I don't mean pax luggage, more the revenue generating variety. Pretty sure they at least used to, cause we used to get packages with AK stickers delivered to the office before, not recently though

If they do, the loading / unloading must be super efficient, considering the turnaround time scheduled

This is perhaps one area where AK and MasKargo can cooperate, cause there must be lots of empty belly space on AK if it's just pax luggage there

Do Air Asia flights carry air freight in the birds' bellies ?

I don't mean pax luggage, more the revenue generating variety. Pretty sure they at least used to, cause we used to get packages with AK stickers delivered to the office before, not recently though

If they do, the loading / unloading must be super efficient, considering the turnaround time scheduled

This is perhaps one area where AK and MasKargo can cooperate, cause there must be lots of empty belly space on AK if it's just pax luggage there

Tam,

As a matter of fact, AK do carry cargo on our flights. yup, this is one way to generate extra income, provided no DG is present. We don't have license to carry DG. About the loading procedure, it is done by KLAS. So to keep it simple, AK ramp agents will be busy loading & unloading bags in Hold 3 & 4, while KLAS will be busy loading/unloading cargo into Hold 1. does this help to clear ur doubt my friend?

Victor

Thanks for insight into KLIA ops

"DG" I assume means 'Dangerous Goods' ?

I suppose at KLIA the loading/unloading procedure is finely tuned with all necessary equipment available. What about the not so well equipped secondary airports ? Particularly now with the A320's being optimized for pallet loading. Come to think of it, are all AK stations equipped with the pallet loading lifts nowadays ?

Thanks for insight into KLIA ops

"DG" I assume means 'Dangerous Goods' ?

I suppose at KLIA the loading/unloading procedure is finely tuned with all necessary equipment available. What about the not so well equipped secondary airports ? Particularly now with the A320's being optimized for pallet loading. Come to think of it, are all AK stations equipped with the pallet loading lifts nowadays ?

For A320 ops,we do not used pallets,but use bulk loading.Only on the A330 does pallet loading is used.All cargo handling is carried out by ATR Express and not by KLAS.KLAS only does ground handling for AirAsiaX/XAX/D7 operations.One of the cargo operations manager was an operations manager herself who was posted recently to handle that division within AK group.Flights to SZX/Schenzen,MFM/Macau,OOL/Gold Coast are filled with cargo in the belly of the planes.

Yes, I can confirm on the A333 because my friend who is working with Schenkel Brisbane has been forwarding several pallets to KUL from the MH B744s' belly to AirAsia X's belly due to overcapacity.

The only problem for most forwarders in Brisbane (most of them having offices located within proximity of BNE) is to transport the cargo to Gold Coast.

Loads of freight items were seen at East Malaysia airports like SDK and TWU when I visited these places. They came out through conveyor belts just like pax baggage. Some items seen were GeDex courier mail and newspapers. People can be seen busy sorting out items when everybody has collected their bags and left.

Thanks again for all the insights !

Still think MasKargo and AK should try work something out. Would make the Malaysian air-freight industry so much more efficient, less wastage.

Sign in to follow this