MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

Your Aviation New Year Resolutions

:) Managed to stay away from a certain expensive airline with lousy inflight products since the end of last year, and saved money along the way. Looks like I'll never be back flying with them.

2008 is going to leave us very soon. I guess it's time for me to update the thread with the outcome of my aviation resolution for the year. In general, 2008 has been a great roller coaster ride year for me, career and personal life wise, from sky high to down low.

For 2008, I had set 12 aviation resolutions, and the results are as follows:

• To break my record of flying on 53 sectors (achieved in 2007) and 44,751 miles (also achieved in 2007).

Outcome: Not achieved (sector's count)/ACHIEVED! (miles flown).

I managed to clock in 45 sectors and 50,677 miles in 2008. The sector count was the best after 2007 while the miles accummulation was the best ever in a year.

• To perform at least one return long haul journey.

Outcome: ACHIEVED!

I managed to perform 3 return long haul journeys in 2008 (2 KUL-JED-KUL sectors and 1 SIN-AUH-SIN sector).

• To fly at least one sector a month.

Finally, after the slight miss in 2007, this resolution finally accomplished. My flying breakdown for 2008 - 45 sectors altogether:

January - 2 sectors

February - 3 sectors

March - 3 sectors

April - 2 sectors

May - 6 sectors

June - 2 sectors

July - 6 sectors

August - 1 sector

September - 5 sectors

October - 5 sectors

November - 4 sectors

December - 6 sectors

• To pursue flying in F for the first time.

Outcome: Not achieved.

Still no resources to do so.

• To maintain my MH's Silver Enrich membership while keeping a healthy activities in my KLM's Flying Blue and Emirates' Skywards accounts.

The Silver status for my Enrich is maintained. My Flying Blue, Skywards and surprisingly SilverKris, were all added some miles.

• To involve in a special aviation related event (such as an inaugural flight).

I was on the very last CGK-KUL flight on Emirates, flight EK 347 on 29 September 2008. On a higher note, I was on the very first Boeing 747-400 flight into and out of TGG on 11 October 2008 with Malaysia Airlines, flight MH 1336 and MH 1335.

• To only fly MH for domestic flights in Malaysia.

I flew on 8 domestic sectors in Malaysia, all were with Malaysia Airlines.

• To only fly Batavia for domestic flights in Indonesia. Sriwijaya and Garuda as substitutes if Batavia is sold out with priority to Sriwijaya.

I flew on 11 domestic sectors in Indonesia; 5 with Batavia Air, 4 with Garuda Indonesia and 2 with Sriwijaya Air, all were fulfilled under the requirement.

• To fly the best airline which provide 'value for money' for international sector.

I flew on 26 international sectors in 2008; 4 with Batavia Air, 1 with Emirates, 1 with KLM, 14 with Malaysia Airlines and 6 with Singapore Airlines.

• To visit at least one new country.

PHIUAE.jpg

I visited the Philippines (4-6 October 2008) and United Arab Emirates (16 November 2008 and 7 December 2008) for the first time in 2008.

• To get a DSLR so that I can snap more beautiful photographs, although I am not a spotter (I guess everyone knows that). :)
  • One last resolution which is to get myself a BOSE noice cancelling headphone to compliment my travel kit.

Meet my new travelling companions.

DSC07802.jpg

DSC07446.jpg

2008 proved to be a great year for me as 10.5 out of 12 resolutions were accomplished, with successful rate of 87.5%. I just couldn't asked for a better year. Hooray!

I hope those who participated earlier will update on the status of their resolutions. Also, as 2009 is approaching, a new year aviation resolution is much welcomed to be shared with all MalaysianWings members. I am hoping for more participation for 2009.

Hehehe ... I'm not really a New Year Resolution-er, and I take trips as they come. Yes, 2008 has been exciting, most of my trips are documented here: http://travel.nuraina.com (well, still a few backlogs to do). Did 3 new spots: Brunei, New Zealand, Lebanon. I think I've been to at least 45 countries now, almost half-way to the 100 I intend to do before I kick the bucket.

As for 2009, I'm confirmed for Krabi (Jan), UK-Spain-Gibraltar-Morocco-Portugal (May), Guilin (July), Luang Prabang (Oct). Or course, more trips will fill up the gaps as I proceed. :D

And more World Heritage Sites to do! :good:

Edited by Naim

My resolution was to have 3000 photos in Airliners.net by the end of 2008. Status: Not achieved, still 34 photos to go. Quite busy and didn't do any extensive spotting until recently. And with the unreasonably unfriendly attitude of the security forces towards spotters, this goal will be a long way from being fulfilled.

i guess one of my resolutions are to get your butt to spotting pronto for the year 2009!

Who's butt are you referring to? Mine? Yours?

I visited this thread upon reading Fitri Shukri's FY trip report, because I remembered he pointed out specifically that he wanted to fly on FY and ATR 72-500 for the first time earlier on. Upon reading the thread all over again, I was left smiling because many who participated got their resolutions achieved even before the year ended. We still have 4 months to go before making the final reveal whether we have achieved the resolutions or not. Is that nerve wrecking or what hahaha?!

Upon glancing through and calling my memory back - Rozhan, Alan B, Fitri, Dr. Naim, SV Choong, Kenneth T, Fairul and Keith T - good results hey? :)

A very big thank you Azizul for remembering my 2008 new year aviation resolution. You also were amongst the first to comment about my first FY ATR72 trip report. And congrats for you, especially on the new DSLR :clapping:

Actually, for 2008, there was two more resolution which didn't dare to write (in fear of not achieving it), which was :

1. To fly long haul outside South East Asia

2. To fly on business class

Alhamdulillah, it came to me in the most unexpected way through assignment for MAS Charter where I achieved both of my unwritten 2008 resolution during the KUL-CGK-BEY-CGK-KUL flights. In fact I got more than I asked for when presented the opportunity to sit in the cockpit during take-off and landing in the triple seven.

As for 2009, my modest aviation resolution would be :

1. To bring my two young daughters (who loves to look at planes) on their first ever plane ride

- most possible route would be FY SZB-KBR to 'balik kampung' to Besut

2. To fly to at least one other airport in Indonesia apart from CGK, and if possible, outside Java island

3. To fly to either Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam or Laos

And yes, there are unwritten 2009 resolutions too, which I will inform once it is achievable :rolleyes:

Edited by Fitri Shukri

2009 was celebrated in the Middle East in a sombre mood, following the Israeli attack in Gaza yesterday, which resulted in at least 400 civilian fatalities. A friend in Dubai sent a text last night telling that the New Year celebration in that city was cancelled to pay respect to the Palestinian.

As for me, if 2007 was all about "greediness/I want it all/I don't want to miss a thing" and 2008 was about "cost saving", the theme for my 2009 aviation resolutions would be "modesty, but still ambitious and challenging" in view of the impact of recession which is expected to get worsen in 2009.

So for 2009, as a commercial passenger, I have listed 13 resolutions to be fulfilled:

• To break my record of flying on 53 sectors (achieved in 2007) and 50,677 miles (achieved in 2008).
  • To perform at least one return long haul journey on a personal expense. Company paid trips will not be eligible.
  • To fly at least one sector a month.
  • To pursue flying in First Class for the first time. This resolution has been brought forward in its 3rd year and still not being achieved. I believe it's high time to fulfil it once and for all. Considering MH only offers F on the B744s only, and the nearest destination (which also probably the cheapest) which is served by the B744s from KUL is TPE, so I am envisaging...
  • To qualify as a Gold Enrich member from my current Silver, while keeping a healthy activities in my KLM's Flying Blue, Emirates' Skywards and SQ's KrisFlyer accounts.
  • To make a miles redemption from any of my 4 FFPs.
  • To involve in a special aviation related event (such as an inaugural flight). I hope Capt. Nik H has something stored for us in 2009.
  • To fly on all type of aircrafts in MH's fleet, MASwings excluded.
  • To only fly MH for domestic flights in Malaysia.
  • To fly domestically in Saudi Arabia.
  • To fly the best airline which provide 'value for my money' for international sector. Emphasized on value and my money.
  • To qualify as a Platinum holder of CIMB Enrich MasterCard credit card from my current Gold. Platinum MW member should use Platinum credit card, right?
  • To visit at least 2 new countries. Being a little greedy this year.

Happy New Year 2009 and 1430 Hijriah to all MalaysianWings members.

And the wet blanket cometh :p

Resolutions 'bad for your health'

Deciding to turn over a new leaf in the new year could do more harm than good, a mental health charity has warned.

Mind has urged people not to feel they must start 2009 armed with resolutions for self-improvement.

The charity said resolutions which focus on issues such as the need to lose weight or job worries create a negative self-image.

And if the plans fail to materialise, that could trigger feelings of failure and inadequacy, the charity said.

Mind chief executive Paul Farmer said focussing on problems or insecurities can lead to feelings of hopelessness, low self-esteem and even mild depression.

"We chastise ourselves for our perceived shortcomings and set unrealistic goals to change our behaviour, so it's not surprising that when we fail to keep resolutions, we end up feeling worse than when we started," he said.

"In 2009, instead of making a New Year's resolution, think positively about the year to come and what you can achieve."

Instead of easily broken resolutions, the charity has suggested a few steps to improve all-round mental health in 2009:

Being active - exercise releases endorphins and even a gentle stroll is beneficial for mental well-being

Going green - evidence has shown that connecting with nature can boost moods

Learn something new - it will keep minds stimulated and give confidence

Give back to the community - it can be just as rewarding for you as those you choose to help

from the BBC

Alhamdulillah, it came to me in the most unexpected way through assignment for MAS Charter where I achieved both of my unwritten 2008 resolution during the KUL-CGK-BEY-CGK-KUL flights. In fact I got more than I asked for when presented the opportunity to sit in the cockpit during take-off and landing in the triple seven.

As for 2009, my modest aviation resolution would be :

1. To bring my two young daughters (who loves to look at planes) on their first ever plane ride - most possible route would be FY SZB-KBR to 'balik kampung' to Besut

2. To fly to at least one other airport in Indonesia apart from CGK, and if possible, outside Java island

3. To fly to either Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam or Laos

And yes, there are unwritten 2009 resolutions too, which I will inform once it is achievable.

You were surely flying high in 2008, Fitri. Congratulation on your stint with MAS Charters. I am also planning to bring my mother and 2 youngest siblings on their first ever plane ride, I need to allocate sometime for this. Hey, if I were still in PNK, I would surely insist that you come to West Kalimantan. Good luck with your new resolutions. Btw, this is the first time I encounter upon 'unwritten resolutions' hehehe...

And the wet blanket cometh.

BC Tam potong stim jek!

Horses for courses. I have been keeping a new year resolution since like primary school and I think it contributed a lot to my optimistic and go-getter personality. It is a way to keep me motivated and always stay on course while on pursuit. I did failed previously on several occasions but it only made me eager to achieve more.

I believe that BBC article is written by a loser to losers so that they stay pessimistic. Period.

Edited by Mohd Azizul Ramli

You were surely flying high in 2008, Fitri. Congratulation on your stint with MAS Charters. I am also planning to bring my mother and 2 youngest siblings on their first ever plane ride, I need to allocate sometime for this. Hey, if I were still in PNK, I would surely insist that you come to West Kalimantan. Good luck with your new resolutions. Btw, this is the first time I encounter upon 'unwritten resolutions' hehehe...

Looking back, 2008 was actually Visit Sarawak Year, Visit Brunei Year and Visit Johor Year for me, all work related.

For Johor, it was all on my Proton Wira back and forth from Butterworth (I only moved to Klang Valley in September).

For Brunei, I went there 3 times, combination of bus ride from Miri and BI and AK flight from KUL. I also went to 'the other side of Brunei' as in Temburong on a speed boat snaking through rivers of Limbang, Sarawak.

For Sarawak, I've lost count on how many times have I flew to MYY and KCH, both on MH and AK, although more on AK. My Sarawak trips wasn't confined to the cities as I got the opportunity to go into the interior all the way to Long Lama (by 4WD), rural coastal areas of Bruit, Daro and Matu (by Rejang river ferry) and coastal town of Mukah (by MH Twin Otter). I also managed to meet fellow MWinger Tamizi and his father while on transit at Sibu.

What surprises me is the near absence of Sabah for 2008. Had it be not for a personal visit to buy some Bajau Samurai sword in Kota Belud, I would have missed visiting Sabah for 2008.

This is not a resolution but some places in Malaysia that I would like to visit, or revisit (either by plane, car or boat) :

1. Banggi Island, north of Kudat in Sabah

2. Climb Mt Kinabalu in Sabah

3. Revisit Tenom in Sabah

4. White water rafting in Padas or Kiulu river in Sabah

5. Do scenery/landscape photography in Kota Belud, Sabah (buffalo and horse a must have in my photos!)

6. Do humanitarian/social documentary photography in Bruit Island of Sarawak

7. Do humanitarian/social documentary photography in interiors of Sarawak

8. Do scenery/landscape/social documentary photography in Kedah (my homestate)

9. Eat at original Kluang coffee station in Johor

10. Revisit Perlis, especially during 'harum manis' mango season

Yes, I travel mostly in Malaysia. That is all that I can afford and that is were my work brings me (to schools around the country). I've yet to get the chance to criss-cross the globe, what more on premium classes (and then declare intention 'to avoid LCCs altogether' which I would never do). But whatever it is, I hope at the end of the day, I can proudly declare that I know a lot more of my own country before I embark on a journey beyond the shores of Malaysia. :D

...I've lost count on how many times have I flew to MYY and KCH, both on MH and AK, although more on AK.

That's why you need to have a FlightMemory account, which I heavily promoting to all MalaysianWings members. http://www.malaysianwings.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=7517

This is not a resolution but some places in Malaysia that I would like to visit, or revisit (either by plane, car or boat) :

2. Climb Mt Kinabalu in Sabah

It's in my list to do too. If our schedules suit, maybe we could plan something about it.

2009 Aviation Resolutions:

- Raising my Diamond Club miles to 50000 or more and my Qmiles to 100000 miles or more :blink:

- Apart from visiting Viet Nam (ofcourse) and Australia (see my siggy), visit Scandinavia and all the countries around the Baltic Sea (except the Russian Federation)...; meaning Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark and Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland and Germany...

Will keep you posted... :pardon:

... visit Scandinavia and all the countries around the Baltic Sea (except the Russian Federation)...; meaning Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark and Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland and Germany...

Good list, Pieter. I did Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Russia & Poland in the 90s. Would like to revisit them soon. Used to live in Germany, been there many times, but the Baltic states are tops in my list.

Now revising this coming May's trip. Looks like I have to sacrifice Lisbon for Keukenhof, and mrs is very excited! We are squeezing in Belgium, Andalucia, Gibraltar & Morocco too. A lot of LCCs, trains & buses. :)

Edited by Naim

my aviation new year resolution this year is to stay in doha to complete the new doha airport project...our handover is due june 2010...and i really really want to visit Cyprus and Lubnan

Looks like I have to sacrifice Lisbon for Keukenhof, and mrs is very excited! We are squeezing in Belgium, Andalucia, Gibraltar & Morocco too. A lot of LCCs, trains & buses. :)

Hope, we can (finally) meet; see PM for my mobile #... ;)

my aviation new year resolution this year is to stay in doha to complete the new doha airport project...our handover is due june 2010...and i really really want to visit Cyprus and Lubnan

How about flying DOH-BEY-LCA and combine the 2 places ? :pardon:

Haven't thought of much for 2009, except maybe to get my diamond club miles balance down to zero before it changes over to LH Miles & Less...

My "aviation" new year resolution is to fly more different airlines.

Edited by waiping

Hope, we can (finally) meet; see PM for my mobile #... ;)

We are pretty much confirmed to meet The Tulips @Keukenhof this May. Pls check PM. :D

Anyone care to update on their half year's progress?

On first glance, I could see...

Dr. Naim succeded with his UK, Spain, Netherlands and Gibraltar adventure; Paparadzi now have 3,134 photos uploaded on www.airliners.net database; Fitri Shukri done special trip report to Dili, Timor Leste (plus many more unwritten resolutions I believe); Pieter C managed to clock in his longest non stop flight DOH-IAH with QR, which means thousands of Qmiles being credited for the journey; Fairul is still intact in one piece in Doha to complete the new DOH airport; Keith T has been quite quiet lately so I am not sure whether he has managed to zerorise his Diamond Club Miles or not; and finally someone still has yet to manage to get that 'special' someone's butt to spotting lol!

Thanks for the reminder. :(

half year progress...still in Doha for the NDIA project..good news for me is that the handing over is due on the July 2011(postponed again..)...2 more years here in Qatar :pardon: as for the cyprus and lebanon thingy...i'm gonna substitute it with 2 countries at Eastern Europe, due for Eid Holiday..i have another 6 more World Heritage Sites to visit this year..2 on August and another 4 during the Eid Holiday... ;)

2009 Aviation Resolutions:

- Raising my Diamond Club miles to 50000 or more and my Qmiles to 100000 miles or more :blink:

- Apart from visiting Viet Nam (ofcourse) and Australia (see my siggy), visit Scandinavia and all the countries around the Baltic Sea (except the Russian Federation)...; meaning Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark and Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland and Germany...

Will keep you posted... :pardon:

Anyone care to update on their half year's progress?

Pieter C managed to clock in his longest non stop flight DOH-IAH with QR, which means thousands of Qmiles being credited for the journey

Azizul and others:

2009: Viet Nam: yes; Australia: no (unfortunately)...

Norway - no; Sweden - yes, Finland - yes; Denmark - yes; Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania - all no; Poland - no; Germany - yes.

Bmi Diamond Club miles: 55381 and QR Privilege Club miles: 158330.

Preparing a DOH-IAH trip-report as we speak, so stay tuned, please... :pardon: