MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

Your Aviation New Year Resolutions

For 2014, I would like to keep things very simple and it includes a revamp of my resolution presentation.

Reso2014_zps981bf03d.png

And that would be it.

Happy 2014 to all MalaysianWings members and keep flying high.

16 thousands miles...only return domestic tickets methinks....

Actually it will be most definitely LHR-KUL or KUL-LHR. I still have some 45,000 miles left with Enrich. If MH comes out with the 30% redemption discount promo again, that would be perfect as one way will only cost 21,000 miles.

Reso2013_zps19be02e0.png

Hi Guys,

Let me be the first to put my aviation related matter to a close for 2014. Looking at the pretty low expectation I put up for this year, I think I did just ok. L I will rate my year as follow:-

FEB – Singapore Airshow. Good company with spotters from all over the world. A PASS

APR – Spotting trip to NGO. My kind of ad-hoc trip if I want to get away for a short while – good traffic, an unfamiliar foreign airport, stay very close to airport, good weather although just for a day. Just GREAT!!! Still processing my photos though. A PASS

2539688.jpg

JUL – Trip to Tokyo with wife and friends. Didn’t get a chance to spot due to tight schedule. A FAIL

JUL – Spotting trip to HKG. First time spot from the sea. Return on Hong Kong Express newest A320 then, the B-LCA “Siu Maai”. Incidentally UO terminated their HKG – BKI service back in October. UO is the only new airline I tried in 2014. – A PASS

2489504.jpg

SEPT – Company incentive trip to MNL on BI. I have been on BI about a decade ago. Again, didn’t manage any spotting session. A FAIL

OCT – Missed an early AK flight to KUL to catch the RJ to BKK. A FAIL

DEC – 24 hour road trip to BWN to try and spot the Dreamliner in their homeground with fellow BKI spotter Samuel CHY. Unfortunately the weekend afternoon when we were there the sun decided to hide behind the cloud when DLB land. A FAIL

On the spotting side this year has been very good for me whether spotting at my home base or overseas, barring the BWN road trip. I am using A.net as a benchmark and I have successfully uploaded 197 pictures as compared to 166 in 2013. Definitely a PASS. I am also happy to have hosted a few spotters from overseas this year. Currently having 735 photos and hoping to hit 1000 before 2015 ends. Some rare catch of the year.

Charter for the ultra rich back in April.

2430096.jpg

During war games in LDU end August/early Sept. VC-22 Osprey and Super Stallion were spotted but I only managed this Gulfstream.

2509537.jpg

So 4 PASS vs 4 FAIL. Lesson from 2014 will be integrated into 2015 plans.

- Another spotting trip to HKG in June courtesy of AK free ticket.

- Would love to have spotting trip to HND/NRT, MNL, USM, ICN, PVG/HGH, CGK. These are places I have been to as a normal tourist, but not as a planespotter.

- Other places that I might be able to do a short spotting trip would be BPN and DPS.

- Would be nice to finally fly the B787 after my BI and RJ plans didn’t materialize. Perhaps Scoot to HKG?

- Hit the millennium mark on A.net.

- And not forgetting MalaysianWings 10th anniversary!

Taking this opportunity to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year 2015!

Unfortunately, I'm not flying to any destinations for this year :(

Hopefully I will be given a chance to fly in 2015.

I didn't make any resolutions. So didn't have any to keep. As a result: 100% pass! :D (or 100% fail depending)

I like your resolution to have no resolution. A big 100% PASS then.

As for me, my greatest achievement this year was to be able to fly a British Airways 787 from Heathrow to Toronto. Spanking brand new aeroplane but service was just OK.

Unfortunately, I'm not flying to any destinations for this year :(

Hopefully I will be given a chance to fly in 2015.

Just remembered that I've flown this year (SBW-KCH-SBW with MASwings).

My only resolution in 2015 are for MH370 to be found and the cause of the downing of MH17 to be found. Both are equally hard and appeared to be highly political.

Finally my "DREAM" took off!!!

16422_10153632103541091_9685964343142619

Wow! Does the 9-abreast seating feel cramped? I don't know but it does seem the seat is a bit narrower, and the cabin width is smaller than 777? But i must say the cabin intererior looks really cool. The large windows!!!

Wow! Does the 9-abreast seating feel cramped? I don't know but it does seem the seat is a bit narrower, and the cabin width is smaller than 777? But i must say the cabin intererior looks really cool. The large windows!!!

It probably is. My mum who flies infrequently and knows nothing about aircraft types flew on a QR 787 recently (her first QR flight). After the trip, she could not stop whinging about how narrow and cramped the seats were and told me not to book her on QR again lol.

1 - Another spotting trip to HKG in June courtesy of AK free ticket.

2 - Would love to have spotting trip to HND/NRT, MNL, USM, ICN, PVG/HGH, CGK. These are places I have been to as a normal tourist, but not as a planespotter.

3 - Other places that I might be able to do a short spotting trip would be BPN and DPS.

4 - Would be nice to finally fly the B787 after my BI and RJ plans didn’t materialize. Perhaps Scoot to HKG?

5 - Hit the millennium mark on A.net.

6 - And not forgetting MalaysianWings 10th anniversary!

So anyone still keeping track on your resolutions? :D

1 - Yes. Went to HKG with KS and Hon Kit in June, just before the anniversary. In fact did some slight improvement on the original plan. Instead of flying direct to HKG from BKI, took the longer way to SIN to fly on TZ's B789.

2 - No. In fact didn't add any new spotting destination to my list. My spotting trip to Shanghai in November was washed out by rain.

3 - Nope. Didn't do that either.

4 - Yes. RJ B788 in May and TZ B789 in June.

5 - Nope. Currently at 835 only. Lay low since June.

6 - Yes! Great to see everyone again!

However, 2 biggest events that I'd missed in 2015 would be Air Force 1 in SZB and the E4B & Co in BKI in November. I wasn't in BKI then. *sigh*

Anyway here is to a great 2016 for everyone! Keep Flying High!

My 2016 Aviation Resolution : To fly into or out of Ipoh Airport (IPH), as I'm now partly based in Seri Iskandar, Perak. Maybe I'll try IPH-SIN-IPH.

I have gone through all commercial airport in Peninsular Malaysia except Ipoh and Kuantan.

As for 2015, I flew first time into and out of Kerteh Airport, on both Firefly and Malindo's ATR72s.

Edited by Fitri Shukri

My 2016 Aviation Resolution : To fly into or out of Ipoh Airport (IPH), as I'm now partly based in Seri Iskandar, Perak. Maybe I'll try IPH-SIN-IPH.

I have gone through all commercial airport in Peninsular Malaysia except Ipoh and Kuantan.

As for 2015, I flew first time into and out of Kerteh Airport, on both Firefly and Malindo's ATR72s.

Prob can do a day trip to Changi? Schedule dependent though but with 3 airlines to choose from, might be able to work out something.

What about MKZ?

Prob can do a day trip to Changi? Schedule dependent though but with 3 airlines to choose from, might be able to work out something.

What about MKZ?

Aiyaaa... how can I miss MKZ!!!

Time to revive this thread again.

What are my aviation resolution for the year 2017?

* Flying at least once or twice in a year.

* Trying the AirAsia A320neo (when it is assigned for flights to SBW)

For the year 2016; Managed to fly 2 sectors:

* SBW-KUL on Dec 2nd 2016 (AirAsia)

* KUL-SBW on Dec 4th, 2016 (Malaysia Airlines

And besides than that, i've finally stepped my foot on KLIA2 for the first time, and also flying onboard Malaysia Airlines B737-800 (BSI & IFE equipped; Thank God my flight was not assigned on the Troll Masters!)

Edited by Tamizi Hj Tamby

My 2017 aviation resolution.

In the beginning of the year I want to fly the B737 classic.

In the middle of the year I want to fly the B737NG.

By the end of the year I want to fly the B737MAX.

Doable?

Just a simple review of 2016. Maybe getting old. Not much hype these days.

JAN - spotting trip to BKK with JKSC, KS and Kevin Teh.

MAC - caught the last KU flight from CGK to KUL on the A343.

MAY - caught AN-225 in Perth.

So, only added KU as the only new airline flown in 2016, and CGK as a new spotting location. Didn't managed Rayani when they were flying but probably a blessing in disguise.

Target for 2017, fly new airlines, new aircraft type and new spotting location.

Been lurking on this forum for a year or 2, but never posted anything, so I decided to start here.

My resolution for next year are:

- To fly new airlines

- To fly new aircraft types, ie. A320neo (not exactly new type, but you get the gist), A350, B767 (yeap, never flew on them, would want to fly on one before they're gone), B744

- To fly J class in long-haul

- To get enough $$ for new equipment for my trip reports on Youtube (BorneanWingz)

Also, happy holidays and a happy New Year to everyone here!

Time to revive this thread again.

What are my aviation resolution for the year 2017?

* Flying at least once or twice in a year.

* Trying the AirAsia A320neo (when it is assigned for flights to SBW)

For the year 2016; Managed to fly 2 sectors:

* SBW-KUL on Dec 2nd 2016 (AirAsia)

* KUL-SBW on Dec 4th, 2016 (Malaysia Airlines

And besides than that, i've finally stepped my foot on KLIA2 for the first time, and also flying onboard Malaysia Airlines B737-800 (BSI & IFE equipped; Thank God my flight was not assigned on the Troll Masters!)

Okay; time to revive this thread again for the year 2017/2018.

Here are my reviews for the year 2017:

1. Spotted a brand new aircraft - Spotted the brand new MH A359 (9M-MAB) on her proving flight on Dec 8th at KCH I consider this one of my highlight for this year aviation resolution, and it is unexpected too.

2. Flight got cancelled for the first time & rebooked on another flight which about to depart in half an hour- This occurred on May 2017, as i was about to fly back to SBW from KCH after attending a special assembly at KCH. My original flight (MH3639 KCH-SBW) was cancelled and i was rebooked on MH642 (KCH-MYY) and later MH3657 (MYY-SBW).

3. Transiting at other airport for the first time- Transiting at Miri Airport for the first time (as i was rebooked KCH-MYY-SBW flight).

4. Flying onboard turboprop- Managed to fly ATR for this year (MH3657 MYY-SBW on May 7th)

5. Flying onboard MH B737-800 for Sarawak domestic flight- Flight was MH642 (KCH-MYY) on May 7th .

What's in store for 2018? Well let's wait and see.

Mine is to fly to Kathmandu and get a connecting flight to Paro Airport in Bhutan. The only flight is with Druk Air but tickets are crazy expensive.

Update!

Despite lack of planning 2018 came out rather interestingly.

JAN - my turn to fly the A350 from BKI - KUL and back the next day. Apparently I'm not the only one as Flee came on the day that I would depart, and then Sam took the one I flew back. Maybe we should sync better next time.

MAC - my second spotting trip in 6 months to Tokyo. Thanks to Ryotaro Shinozaki-San & Shingo Matsuo-San who helped to make this a memorable 4 days 3 nights trip.

MAY - the chase for Xanadu Perdana 1.

MAY - JUL - shoot Small Planet to your heart's content as they started scheduled MFM - BKI flight. Little did we know that they would go burst by year's end.

JUNE - last shoot of Royal Brunei A342 V8-001. Shortly after a touch-and-go session in BKI the plane flew to LDE for storage.

OCT - another honour to cover Malindo's inaugural BKI - KCH flight with Sam. However the star of the day would be Xiamen Airlines' Skyteam parked just next to Malindo.

NOV - striking out another to-do by doing a solo 3 days 2 nights trip to ICN. Also first time on Jin Air's T7.

DEC - adding another airline to the list before year's end. Flew PIA's inaugural KUL - BKK - LHE, but only stopped at BKK. Then flew back from DMK to BKI on FD's 320 NEO. Best part was with my 12 year-old throughout the trip.

Have fun flying everyone!