MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

Your Aviation New Year Resolutions

Let's have a look.....
Since MAR has updated his accomplishments, I feel like updating mine as well. (*die lorrr....I don't want to kalah)

My travelling experience in 2013 focuses on European countries. Travelling in European countries mean, I have the opportunity to experience different types of aircraft, such as AvroJet, Saab340, and 767. To date, I have flown on 9 airlines in 6 months, but majority of the flights are with Easyjet as I feel really comfortable to board on Easyjet (6) flights compared to Ryanair (2 flights).

So far I have flown into / out of 4 London major airports, LHR, LGW, LCY and STN, and I'm looking forward to begin / end my journies from all London major airports before I return to Malaysia. LTN and SEN are on my wishlist. Besides 767, I also keen to fly on 757 (maybe Iceland trip will help me to complete my mission before end of September)

These are my flightlogs as of 23rd June 2013;

04.06.2013 IST Istanbul - LHR London
Turkish Airlines
TK1985 Airbus 330
EI-EZL 35K/Window

03.06.2013 KUL Kuala Lumpur - IST Istanbul
Turkish Airlines
TK61 Airbus 340
TC-JII
Mersin 7K/Window

03.06.2013 PEN Penang - KUL Kuala Lumpur

Malaysia Airlines
MH1139 Boeing 737
9M-MMB 23A/Window (400 series, yeayyyyy)

29.05.2013 KUL Kuala Lumpur - PEN Penang
Malaysia Airlines
MH1162 Boeing 737
9M-MXJ 20A/Window

25.05.2013 IST Istanbul - KUL Kuala Lumpur
Malaysia Airlines
MH31 Boeing 777
9M-MRQ 38K/Window (I was booked on TK60, but due to Heathrow incident, I missed my connection and TK transferred me to MH31)

24.05.2013 LHR London - IST Istanbul
Turkish Airlines
TK1986 Airbus 330
TC-JNL
Trabzon 17K/Window

22.05.2013 CPH Copenhagen - LGW London
EasyJet Airline
U25370 Airbus 319
G-EZSM 25F/Window

21.05.2013 OSL Oslo - CPH Copenhagen
Norwegian Air Shuttle
DY940 Boeing 737
LN-NOC
Ole Bull Livery 3A/Window

20.05.2013 STN London- RYG Moss Norway
Ryanair
FR1392 Boeing 737
EI-EKV 30A/Window

05.05.2013 LGW London - EDI Edinburgh
EasyJet Airline
U2803 Airbus 319
G-EZAU 15D/Aisle

27.04.2013 ARN Stockholm - LHR London
British Airways
BA781 Boeing 767
G-BNWX 9K/Window

26.04.2013 LGW London - ARN Stockholm
Norwegian Air Shuttle
DY2850 Boeing 737
LN-DYJ
Geog Brandes Livery 17A/Window

13.04.2013 DUB Dublin - LCY London
CityJet
AF5120 BAe Avro
EI-RJU
Cape Clear 15A/Window

11.04.2013 STN London - DUB Dublin
Ryanair
FR205 Boeing 737
EI-EKH 33A/Window

05.03.2013 ABZ Aberdeen - LGW London
EasyJet Airline
U2876 Airbus 320
G-EZDI 17C/Aisle

05.03.2013 LSI Sumburgh - ABZ Aberdeen
flyBE
BE6779 Saab 340
G-LGNF 12A/Window

01.03.2013 LGW London - ABZ Aberdeen
EasyJet Airline
U2871 Airbus 320
G-EZFM 17D/Aisle

12.02.2013 BUD Budapest - LHR London
British Airways
BA867 Airbus 320
G-EUYE 7F/Window

10.02.2013 TXL Berlin - BUD Budapest
Air Berlin
AB8638 Dash 8
D-ABQJ 6A/Window

08.02.2013 LHR London - TXL Berlin

British Airways
BA982 Airbus 321
G-EUXH 10F/Window

28.01.2013 GIB Gibraltar - LGW London
EasyJet Airline
U28904 Airbus 320
G-EZGK 15D/Aisle

26.01.2013 LGW London - GIB Gibraltar
EasyJet Airline
U28903 Airbus 320
G-EZFW 22F/Window

01.01.2013 FLR Florence - LCY London
CityJet
AF5280 BAe Avro
EI-RJG
Sherkin Island 16A/Window

:)

Edited by affendi osman

I have not visited Liechtenstein yet!

how lahhh.....

Liechtenstein is worth visiting or not?

A place for you to tick -- been there done that!

Driving from Zurich you enter Liechtenstein, and there's a T-junction -- left to Austria, right to Vaduz and somewhere else. The castle looms in front of you atop a hill - royal family lives here, but not open to visitors, nice view nevertheless. There's a tourist centre along this main Vaduz road, museums, that's about it. Buat U-turn, drive on into Austria. :)

affendi osman, on 24 Jun 2013 - 03:22, said:

Let's have a look.....

Since MAR has updated his accomplishments, I feel like updating mine as well. (*die lorrr....I don't want to kalah)

Hahaha, you are biting!

I can't do this -- am not that meticulous. Normally I just have a rough idea where I'd like to go, but most destinations are at the spur of the moment when I spot a good deal. So far this year we went to Turkey and South Africa, with 4 more trips to do in 2013 -- Taiwan, Jeju (SKorea), France/Monaco/Italy, and US (east coast). Only the US trip was planned, the rest due to sudden promos by airlines. :)

Early next year, most likely South America.

A place for you to tick -- been there done that!

Driving from Zurich you enter Liechtenstein, and there's a T-junction -- left to Austria, right to Vaduz and somewhere else. The castle looms in front of you atop a hill - royal family lives here, but not open to visitors, nice view nevertheless. There's a tourist centre along this main Vaduz road, museums, that's about it. Buat U-turn, drive on into Austria. :)

Hahaha, you are biting!

I can't do this -- am not that meticulous. Normally I just have a rough idea where I'd like to go, but most destinations are at the spur of the moment when I spot a good deal. So far this year we went to Turkey and South Africa, with 4 more trips to do in 2013 -- Taiwan, Jeju (SKorea), France/Monaco/Italy, and US (east coast). Only the US trip was planned, the rest due to sudden promos by airlines. :)

Early next year, most likely South America.

If I were to travel on bus, will I be able to do that? I mean, to divert the trip to Leichtenstein

If I were to travel on bus, will I be able to do that? I mean, to divert the trip to Leichtenstein

I think you need to check the bus schedule. I don't really know.

I think you need to check the bus schedule. I don't really know.

a solo traveler like me rely on public transport. I can't afford to rent a car during my trip!

599117_10200207727128608_1232794296_n.jp

however doc Naim, during your next visit to the UK, try to visit Shetland Island on the northern part. 12 hours ferry ride from Aberdeen, or only 1 hour on Flybe to Sumburgh.

Shetland is the place for you to meet the pony

387772_10200237474472273_1885396651_n.jp

or to hunt for Northern Light. Sadly during my trip, I did not have the opportunity to spot the beautiful Light.

63262_10200237467432097_1632986117_n.jpg

Seal spotting, whale watching and puffin catch are also available in Shetland.

482330_10200212978939900_2008164963_n.jp

And the cliffs are beautiful too

429_10200220766174576_1675616268_n.jpg

Also the seafood, fresh fish, fresh mussels. *note : this shop offers one of the best Fish and Chips in Scotland. Ranked number 3 this year.

481773_10200220764734540_1796023795_n.jp

Sheeps outnumbered human population in Shetland.

734979_10200207738448891_1988283097_n.jp

Ermm..the beach is pretty nice too, but I cannot tahan the wind lah! Maybe it's good to visit the island during summer....

525325_10200212976619842_810918107_n.jpg

Or otherwise, you need to wear something like this during your visit! :)

affendi osman, on 24 Jun 2013 - 22:35, said:

a solo traveler like me rely on public transport. I can't afford to rent a car during my trip!

There should be a train/bus combo to get Vaduz -- every part of Europe is reachable!

Btw, truly great pics of the Shetlands. In 1996, I drove all the way to John O'Groats with the missus, from York. We arrived just as the boat from the Orkneys docked. If only we had a couple of days to spare, we would have jumped onboard that boat!

There should be a train/bus combo to get Vaduz -- every part of Europe is reachable!

Awesome

But with less than 3 months left, I must work hard to visit as many country as I can

Awesome

But with less than 3 months left, I must work hard to visit as many country as I can

Then do Portugal-Spain-Andorra-France-Monaco-Italy-SanMarino-Vatican.

Seeing the Europe trips by Afendi makes me a bit jealous haha.

I know its already the middle of the year, but perhaps its not too late to get on the bandwagon for an Aviation Resolution:

Seeing we are blessed with three different operators for ATR here, i was thinking of getting on them by the end of the year.....or maybe all in one go.

FIrefly

Malindo

MASWings

So perhaps a crazy one weekend trip is at hand?

Seeing the Europe trips by Afendi makes me a bit jealous haha.

I know its already the middle of the year, but perhaps its not too late to get on the bandwagon for an Aviation Resolution:

Seeing we are blessed with three different operators for ATR here, i was thinking of getting on them by the end of the year.....or maybe all in one go.

FIrefly

Malindo

MASWings

So perhaps a crazy one weekend trip is at hand?

Add another ATR operator to your list

BERJAYA

Add another ATR operator to your list

BERJAYA

Ah yes.

So there are four players:

FIrefly

Malindo

MASWings

BERJAYA

Wow. I checked the Wiki, and only Myanmar has as many players using ATRs in one country.

Wow. I checked the Wiki, and only Myanmar has as many players using ATRs in one country.

Hooray! Malaysia is on par with Myanmar!!!

Less than a month left before 2013 leaves us. Hope all is on target. Do update us the result.

The thread is also welcoming new 2014 resolutions.

This year? It's a huge achievement for me.Why?

* Flying with Malindo for the first time this year (and trying out their B739ER)

* Flew to Langkawi for the first time
* Managed to spot aircraft with our brand new DSLR (D5200)

* Landed at & departed KUL (MTB) for the first time ever

Hi guys,

A summary of what I did, aviation wise, for 2013.

- Went to Osaka in March for about a week and managed to do some spotting at both KIX and ITM airport. First time flying those not-so-new seats for D7. My first time on D7 was the first generation non-recline seats to Perth a couple of years ago. Upgraded to Premium Class via Option Town for KUL - KIX sector and Empty Seats option on KIX - KUL sector.

- Also in March (22 to be exact), joined the first Malindo flight to KUL and back. Day trip. Meet Fairul for the first time.

- In April went to HKT for spotting with Hon Kit and Hon Vee.

- End May went to PEN & Hatyai for company trip.

- End June went to SIN for MW anniversary. Good company more than made up for poor weather.

- Early July after MW anniversary went to pick up scanner from MIR and did some spotting at Simpang together.

- Went for a very successful spotting trip to TPE with KS Ong and Adrian in Sept. In fact I haven't finish editing all the airplane photos.

- Oct 19 "my dream didn't take off but they upgraded my bed instead".

- Nov 3 had the chance to do some plane spotting with Chaity when he was in town for work. Chaity taught me how to use the Shutter Priority setting properly during one of the previous anniversary gathering in KUL.

- Nov 30 Uncle KC Sim and Vernon came to BKI to try and photograph the last touch down for BI B787 here, at least for the time being. For the whole day runway 02 was in use and just went the Dreamliner took off from BWN, bad weather forced a switch of runway and we only managed the taxi to terminal shot.

On a side note it has been almost 4 years since I actively plane-spot and today I had my 500th A.net photo successfully uploaded. My first photo being Tiger Airways 9V-TRB operating the first revenue flight to BKI back in March 2009. My latest (501) is none other than BI's B787 V8-DLB, and before that 9M-AHD (AK's Tune Insure livery)

As for plans in 2014. So far no concrete yet except Tokyo in July. Trip to SIN for airshow might be in jeopardy due to work commitment in KUL around the same time. If finance and time permit might want to fly long haul, maybe Europe or Australia again. One thing is for sure I will continue to plane-spotting in my home base BKI.

Hi guys,

Here what I go for 2013, just list down the best achievement for me.

- So lucky on MATTA Fair 2013 in March, won free 2 return tickets economy class to Ho Chi Minh City (SGN) by Malaysia Airlines in (Media social) Twitter contest.

HCM_zpsfa9d6c94.jpg

- Redeem my free tickets and Went to Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam on our Merdeka Day (31 Aug) for 3 days unitl 2 Sep. Fly for free. As Enrich Gold holder, able to access and relaxing at Rose CIP Lounge, Tan Son Nhat International Airport (SGN) before fly back to KUL.

_MG_6909__zpsef1dfe4f.jpg

HCM2_zpsd81e53e7.jpg

Thanks to Malaysia Airlines for great moments. :)

2013 has nearly come to its end....
so, I am concluding the year with this map

map_zps2ee3a22d.gif

As far as 2013 is concerned, I have achieved a few magnificent flying experience.

1. my first ride on 787 ( BI KUL BWN KUL)

2. my first ride on 767 (BA ARN LHR, BA LHR ATH)

3. my first ride on 757 (FI LHR KEF)

4. my first ride on 737-900 (OD JHB KUL)

5. my first ride on Avrojet 85 (AF FLR LCY)

6. my first ride on Saab340 (BE LSI ABZ)

In 2013, my total flying experience has matched the distance to the moon (since I took my first flight in my entire life)

Also, I have flown on 20 airlines (that includes my first time on Royal Brunei, Kuwait Airways, Estonian Air, Aegean Airlines, LOT, FlyBE, EasyJet and Ryanair *ahemmmmm*, Icelandair, WowAir, AirBerlin, Malindo Air, TigerAirways, Norwegian Air Shuttle), covering 40 airports, 20 aircraft types, 56 routes in 23 countries.

KUL is the most visited airport (22 times), LGW comes second (12 times) and LHR and PEN share the third spot (10 times)

I also manage to fly into/out of all London major airports, LHR-LGW-LCY-LTN-STN-SEN

and I did my first runway crossing with the help of traffic light (GIB)

So, this year has been a wonderful aviation year for me, and hopefully 2014 will be better than this year's experience!

Edited by affendi osman

7 January 2013. Continuing the tradition of this thread for the 6th year!

A bit of a reflection of my aviation resolutions since this thread was created:

2007 | Theme: Greediness/I Want It All/I Don't Wanna Miss a Thing | Result: 5/12 | 41.67%

2008 | Theme: Cost Saving | Result: 10.5/12 | 87.5%

2009 | Theme: Modesty but Still Ambitious and Challenging | Result: 5.5/13 | 42.31%

2010 | Theme: Quality over Quantity | Result: 8/11 | 72.73%

2011 | Theme: Change | Result: 10/16 | 62.5%

2012 | Theme: Basic | Result: 4/11 | 36.36%

2013 will be the year I will get back to work after spending about a year and a half as a student in the UK. I am now in the process of obtaining the necessary legalities to start a new career in London. Hopefully everything will turn out fine otherwise I would have to return to Saudi Arabia. For this year aviation resolution, I would like to keep everything simple.

As a commercial passenger, I have listed 11 resolutions to be fulfilled in 2013, as follows:

1. To break my record of flying on 53 sectors (achieved in 2007) and 50,677 miles (achieved in 2008) in a single calendar year. A default resolution.

2. To perform at least two (2) return long haul journeys (flight time of more than 7 hours) on a personal expense. Company paid trips will not be eligible (if any). This is a repeat of 2010's, 2011's and 2012's aviation resolution which did not come true.

3. To fly in a premium cabin at least on 1 sector. A default resolution.

4. To keep a healthy activity in ANY of my frequent flyer program accounts - MH's Enrich, KLM's Flying Blue, SQ's KrisFlyer and EK's Skywards. A default resolution.

5. To make a miles redemption from any of my 4 FFPs. Expiring miles in 2013 are as follows:

Enrich - 7,444 miles by 31 December 2013

Flying Blue - Part of my miles will start expiring from 31 March 2013

Skywards - 4,933 miles by 31 January 2013

Therefore I am envisaging 1 redemption with Enrich (possibly LHR-KUL) and 1 redemption with Skywards (a return ticket on easyJet to the furthest destination the total miles in account can bring me). As for Flying Blue, I hope to fly on KLM to AMS to extend the life of the miles for another 20 months.

6. To involve in a special aviation related event (such as an inaugural flight or attending an air show). A default resolution.

I have set my eyes to be onboard the inaugural BA A380 flight, which is rumoured to be to MAD.

7. To perform any of the FlightMemory-list flights. A default resolution.

My FlightMemory list on 1 January 2013 is as follows:

FlightMemoryList_zps6d8a6e53.png

8. To fly the best airline which provide value for my money for all flights. Emphasized on value and my money. A default resolution to promote self prudent spending.

9. To visit at least 4 new countries. Up 1 notch from 3 new countries planned in 2012 although I did achieved 5 countries in the end.

MyEurope_zpse5caf351.png

I have no specific countries on the agenda but Ireland and Spain are a sure bet.

10. To fly aboard MH's A380. A repeat of 2012's aviation resolution which did not come true.

11. To surpass 300,000 miles flown milestone. At the moment, I have recorded 274,304 miles. I will need to fly 25,696 miles in 2013 to achieve this.

FM1Jan2013_zpsa28199dc.png

Therefore, 11 aviation resolutions for 2013 altogether.

I would like to take this opportunity to wish all MalaysianWings members HAPPY NEW YEAR 2013!

To everyone who participate in this thread, I wish you good luck and all the very best. Do not forget to update us on the progress of those resolutions.

2013 will be another interesting year as far as aviation is concern in Malaysia. We will have Malindo and KLIA2, MH will officially be in oneworld. MalaysianWings will be 8 years old and I hope there will be less fighting in the forum too. *ouch!*

So with that, keep calm and carry on flying.

My very delayed year ending 2013 final progress. The second half of 2013 was as none as it gets because, as envisaged from the beginning of the year, I got a job.

Here are the results without further ado:

1. Failed. In 2013, I only managed to clock in a lousy 5 sectors and 13,861 miles.

2. Failed. I managed to perform 1 corresponding return long haul journey during the period:

11 June 2013 LHR-KUL

16 June 2013 KUL-CDG

3. Accomplished. I flew on AF Y+ cabin KUL-CDG on 16 June 2013.

DSC03450_zps12d756bc.jpgDSC03435_zps8a00d62f.jpg

4. Accomplished. My FFPs activities during the period are as follows:

Reso2013_zps19be02e0.png

3 out of 4 FFPs recorded a movement.

5. Accomplished. I made 4 redemptions during the period.

5,000 Skywards miles were redeemed for 2 Raffle Reward tickets. I did not win though. These miles are corresponding to 4,933 miles which were expiring by 31 January 2013. Earlier on, I was planning to redeem the miles for a ticket on easyJet, but there has been a scheduling conflict with my affairs here in the UK hence the Raffle Reward is the easy way out.

50,000 Flying Blue miles were redeemed for a 1 way KUL-LHR in Y+ for journey on 6 August 2013. Another 10,000 Flying Blue miles were redeemed for a 1 way CGK-KUL in Y for journey on 28 July 2013. Another 2,552 Flying Blue miles went into the drain. These miles correspond to the entire account which was expiring by 31 March 2013. This is quite a sad story as I was intending to save all my Flying Blue miles to explore the Americas. As it turned out to be, my passport has to be submitted to the UKBA around 31 March 2013 for visa formalities hence I was not able to fly to AMS or CDG to extend the life of the miles for another 20 months as originally planned. A force redemption was then executed and the initial plan was to return to KUL for Hari Raya, with a side trip to CGK. However, another turn of event happened when I secured a job in London and can not go back this upcoming Hari Raya to KUL hence the KUL-LHR ticket is moved to 16 June 2013. The CGK-KUL ticket is still hanging by the moment but I intend to change it for a ticket to somewhere applicable during the long bank holiday weekend on 23-26 August 2013. The remaining 2,552 miles could not be salvaged as the minimum requirement by Flying Blue, even to donate the miles for charities is 3,000 miles and the minimum miles to purchase if I were to round it up to 3,000 miles is a block of 1,000 miles hence it is a mute point of purchasing the miles to donate it in the end. The episode ends my stint with Flying Blue and the Skyteam alliance after years accumulating miles with them (since 2005).

21,000 Enrich miles were redeemed for a 1 way LHR-KUL in Y for a journey on 11 June 2013. The miles correspond to 7,444 miles which is expiring by 31 December 2013. Enrich is currently running a 30% promotion for redemption to/from Europe hence I was just being asked 21,000 miles instead of 25,500 miles on the normal rate (minus 15% online redemption discount). This redemption was made 24 hours prior to departure and after 11 sectors redeemed under the similar consecutive scenarios, Enrich has never disappoint me with regards to this matter, even after the airline joined oneworld alliance. 2 thumbs up to Enrich!

With all these redemptions, all my expiring miles for 2013 have been redeemed in its entirely.

6. Failed. I did not managed to attend any aviation related event during the year.

7. Failed. I did not have the opportunity to perform any of flight from my FlightMemory list and the bankruptcy of Batavia Air makes this even more impossible to accomplish.

8. Accomplished. All 5 flights (3 of which are redemption) recorded during the period were the best value for my money.

9. Failed. I only managed to visit one new country in 2013 - Ireland. The trip was entirely fueled by the Cliff of Moher. I love Dublin, it's small, easy and carefree.

DSC03806_zps754f3305.jpg

However, as a consolation, I managed to return to 10 previously visited countries:

• Belgium (2 visits to Oostende and Brussels in May and June 2013)
  • The Netherlands (2 visits to Amsterdam in May and June 2013)
  • Luxembourg (1 visit in May 2013)
  • Switzerland (2 visits to Lauterbrunnen in May and June 2013)
  • Germany (1 visit to Heidelberg and Fussen in June 2013)
  • Austria (1 visit to Innsbruck in June 2013)
  • Italy (1 visit to Venezia, Firenze, Roma and Pisa in June 2013)
  • The Vatican (1 visit in June 2013)
  • France (3 visits to Paris in May and June 2013)
  • United Kingdom/Malaysia (my current base/1 visit in June 2013)

10. Accomplished. After almost a year in service (2 July 2012), the MH A380 was finally conquered on 11 June 2013.

11. Failed. My counter stopped at 288,170 miles, short by 11,830 miles from target.

Reso20131_zps2cfc3bd3.png

In the end, only 5 out of 11 resolutions were accomplished in 2013.

Special Note:

Some interesting tidbits from my travel in 2013.

Apart from the 100th A380 9M-MNF, I managed to secure the Olympic Dove A319 G-DBCB, which flew me from LHR to DUB on 24 August 2013. First time flying the type, and my first flight with BA as well.

DSC03571_zps074bc527.jpg

I never been to an airport with a massive US pre-clearance facility it feels like in America, that is DUB.

DSC03866_zps066c96f6.jpg

For 2014, I would like to keep things very simple and it includes a revamp of my resolution presentation.

Reso2014_zps981bf03d.png

And that would be it.

Happy 2014 to all MalaysianWings members and keep flying high.