MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

Your Aviation New Year Resolutions

Huh, I was looking at LH. Maybe will check RJ soon.

Congratulations! You should do one of each for KUL-BKK return and do a TR to compare their products and services. wink.gif

Edited by H C Chai

Congratulations! You should do one of each for KUL-BKK return and do a TR to compare their products and services. wink.gif

Guess, going one way by LH and return by RJ will make it an expensive trip...

Waiping, member of Star or Oneworld ?

Note, RJ A330's are brand-new; cannot be said of LH 744's... :pardon:

Guess, going one way by LH and return by RJ will make it an expensive trip...

Waiping, member of Star or Oneworld ?

Note, RJ A330's are brand-new; cannot be said of LH 744's... :pardon:

Hi Uncle, not a member to any of those. :( Not much chance to fly other airlines. Only MH.

Flying LH's old B744 is more tempting compare to flying the brand new RJ A332. Cost wise is slightly expensive if you fly separate airlines. Here is the catch - LH operates every Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday while RJ operates Monday Wednesday and Friday. Assuming to go just for weekend spotting then go on Friday by RJ, and return on Monday on LH. Need to stay 3 days in BKK. If go on Satuday by LH, reach at night and stay one night then spot full day (weather permits) and fly back on Monday on RJ. Stay in BKK for 2 nights only. I would say the total cost including accommodation is almost the same. Anyway the best idea would be to fly different airlines and spot at different airport. This way I get 2 airlines in 1 trip. :p

Bro, not confirm yet. Only in preliminary study phase.

We have reached the first half of 2010. It's time to update on the progress of the resolutions. In my case...

Therefore for 2010, as a commercial passenger, I have listed 11 resolutions to be fulfilled, as follows:

• To break my record of flying on 53 sectors (achieved in 2007) and 50,677 miles (achieved in 2008) in a single calendar year. This one will be a default resolution every year.
  • To perform at least two (2) return long haul journeys (flight time of more than 7 hours) on a personal expense. Company paid trips will not be eligible. Up from 1 return journey in 2009 - giving myself a bit of a challenge.
  • To fly in a premium cabin. This is an entirely new resolution inspired by the recent experience aboard MH's First Class cabin. I just make it general, so it could be MH's Business Class, MH's First Class, SQ's Suite, SQ's First Class, SQ's Business Class, EK's First Class or EK's Business Class, for example.
  • To keep a healthy activities in all my MH's Enrich, KLM's Flying Blue, SQ's KrisFlyer and EK's Skywards FFP accounts. A default resolution.
  • To make a miles redemption from any of my 4 FFPs. A total of 41,696 Enrich miles will be expiring by 31 December 2010, so I might make some redemptions should there is an interesting offer from MH. However, I have the option of extending the miles for another year with little fee. My Flying Blue miles will be expiring beginning August 2011, so there's no need to be worried. The same goes for my KrisFlyer miles which will be expiring in 2 years time but a total of 3,411 Skywards miles will start expiring by 31 January 2011 - maybe something should be done about this.
  • To involve in a special aviation related event (such as an inaugural flight). Very determined with this one this year after multiple failures in 2009. There are 2 events that I have been keeping a close watch at the moment, hopefully it will materialised.
  • To perform any of the *FlightMemory-list flights. *This is some craziness that I have developed since joining FlightMemory that I want to round up all flights performed so far so that the numbers of the routings, airports' pairings and airlines flown are even. Therefore, I have to perform a few flights to satisfy this very wierd yet disturbing matter in my head. There are 41 flights (!!!) to be performed by the way but it is not urgent. A fulfilment of 1 flight from this list would be satisfying though.
  • To fly domestically in Saudi Arabia. A default resolution as long as I remain in Saudi Arabia.
  • To fly the best airline which provide 'value for my money' for all flights. Emphasized on 'value' and 'my money'. A default resolution to promote self prudent spending.
  • To visit at least 2 new countries. A repeat of 2009's resolution that does not come true. I have to visit 2 new countries to move on.
  • To finally fly aboard an A380 for the first time. Will it be SQ's or EK's? I can't wait to surprise myself.

1. Ongoing - Both counters currently stand at 14 sectors and 33,270 miles respectively. This one is looking promising to clock in a good numbers this year.

2. Ongoing - I performed 1 return long haul journey KUL-CDG-KUL in June 2010 on a personal expense. I also have 1 return DXB-KUL-DXB and AUH-SIN-AUH but these 2 flights are paid by the company. So this one is 50% achieved, looks good too.

3. Ongoing - So far, all 14 flights performed this year are all in Economy Class. Hopefully this expensive resolution will be realised soon.

4. Ongoing - Movement in my FFP accounts are as follows (net margin):

MH's Enrich +8,423 miles

KL's Flying Blue 0 miles

SQ's KrisFlyer +11,514 miles

EK's Skywards +6,600 miles

So all recorded a movement except my Flying Blue account. Should be flying KLM soon I hope.

5. Achieved! - I redeemed 42,000 Enrich miles on 24 June 2010 for a return ticket KUL-CDG-KUL in Economy Class with MH. My first trip to the enchanting Paris. The redemption also cleared all Enrich miles that will be expiring by the end of this year.

6. Achieved! - I attended the inaugural edition of the Bahrain International Airshow 2010 on 22 - 23 January 2010 in Sakhir Airbase in Bahrain. This is also the first airshow event that I ever attended.

7. Ongoing - No FlightMemory-crazy flight performed so far, but I am positive about this one.

8. Ongoing - No domestic flight in Saudi Arabia performed so far too, but I hope I can allocate some time for this one soon.

9. Ongoing - So far so good. All 14 flights performed todate are purchased using the formula 'the best value for my money'.

10. Achieved! - I visited Bahrain in January 2010 and France in June 2010, for the very first time!

11. Achieved! - I flown aboard the mighty Airbus 380-800 aircraft for the very first time on 23 February 2010 performing JED-DXB with EK. The return sector, DXB-JED was also with the A380.

So folks, 4 out of 11 resolutions have been fulfilled so far (36.36%), not bad at all. I am looking forward on how things will turn out in the next half of 2010. I hope those who participated in 2010 resolutions will update theirs too. *wink*

Part of the reason for #5 is to try other airlines' level of service. I have booked return flight KUL - CGK next month on KLM and KUL - HKG in Sept on CX. Both my first on those airlines. :yahoo:

Another one coming up - 10/11 - 15/11 going to Korea with wife. Was informed it would be on Korean Air. :yahoo:

Another one coming up - 10/11 - 15/11 going to Korea with wife. Was informed it would be on Korean Air. :yahoo:

Enjoy it;

Heard great stories about Korea...

No doubt, you'll love KE as much as we did last year... :pardon:

Coming soon my first flight with Air Asia X :yahoo:

D72672 5/12 KUL-TPE 0950-1440

D72673 12/12 TPE-KUL 1555-2035

Edited by Li Ren

Coming soon my first flight with Air Asia X :yahoo:

D72672 5/12 KUL-TPE 0950-1440

D72673 12/12 TPE-KUL 1555-2035

Enjoy D7! Hope the ticket was cheap!

It's 2 weeks left before 2010 leaves us. I hope those who participated in 2010's aviation resolution can update us of their achievements by year end.

I am also calling for new aviation resolutions for 2011 to start rolling. This thread is going for its 5th year (yay)! Hopefully we'll see more participation in 2011. :)

Hi guys,

Allow me to get the ball rolling here. It has been a great year for me as I was able to achieve most of the resolution set out end of last year and early this year, and in the process loving every moment of it.

Singapore Airshow (February)

While the 2010 version was smaller scale than the 2008 version, I was happy to be there with the company of Sam and KT. I had also managed to squeeze out some time to visit the Flight Experience Singapore. Unfortunately was not able to do some serious spotting either at Changi Business Park or Changi Village. That would have to wait.

Flight Experience Singapore

SIN – HKG on SQ A380

The best trip for the whole of 2010 would surely be the SIN – HKG trip on SQ’s A380 whale jet. Booking was done sometime around February and was surprised to have my wife’s company on this trip. Usually I would have expected to travel alone on trips like this. Also my first experience of sleeping/spotting overnight at Changi while waiting for our flight back to BKI.

My First A380 Experience

MalaysianWings Anniversary @ SIN-city

Good food, great weather and company. Hey, what more can you ask for?

MalaysianWings Anniversary

KUL – CGK with KLM

Just a short hop as earlier my wife and I had planned to do some shopping in KUL. Since she had some friends in KUL to shop with her, I book a return ticket to CGK on the KLM. Flying the KLM is something I wanted to do all along. The KUL – CGK flight was on the B777-300ER whereas the return was on B777-200. Unfortunately I was too excited about the trip that I left my 55-250mm lens at home which I used mainly for spotting. To add to that it rained the whole day after I arrived. No luck in spotting so a return to the CGK is a must.

Flying with Koninklijke Luchtvaart Maatschappij

KUL – HKG on CX

Another short trip and this time with a friend to HKG on CX. CX is also one of the few airlines that I had wanted to fly since I was a child. The KUL – HKG was on A330 whereas the return on a full B777-200. My friend who had the “luxury” of postponing his flight for another 24 hours got to fly the A340. Darn! Also my first experience of sleeping/spotting at HKIA.

KUL – HKG on CX

BKI – ICN on KE charter

My wife and I had always wanted to visit Seoul, and we got a bargain in November for a 4 days 3 nights trip. That was an eye-opening trip and we plan to visit there again someday. I can only remember places where I wanted to go but was not in the itinerary – 38 parallel, War museum, Jeju etc…

Korea 1

Korea 2

Year 2010 was also significant for aviation in Sabah/Malaysia as we bid farewell to the Fokker 50 on 25 April 2010, and welcome MH’s new B737-800 on 15 November. I had the opportunity to be at both event and it was great.

Fokker Farewell

MXA Homecoming

Not quite the end yet as I will be traveling with my wife and my elder son again on the 30th to celebrate New Year in HKG, my junior’s first flight. So, in 2010 I had flown on SQ (A380), KL (B777-300, B777-200), CX(A330, B772) and KE (A330) on top of the usual MH and AK. On a side note this year I had also managed to upload 150 photos to A.net.

For 2011 I still haven’t decided what to do as yet. Still contemplating if I should continue to do overnight spotting trip around ASEAN countries like the Jakarta & Singapore, or save up for somewhere further like AMS or MAN. At current moment maybe I’ll just sick to the anniversary in June and LIMA 2011. The rest will have to wait and see.

So this is my result slip. What’s your?

Edited by Waiping

In 2010, I achieved my 2009 resolution, that is to give my two daughters their first ever experince flying in an aircraft.

In fact, I got more, my son (which was born in March 2010) also joined in.

First was a flight on MH's B737-400 (KUL-KBR), then my wife bought my second daughter and son on FY's ATR 72 (SZB-KBR) and finally AK's A320 (KUL-KCH-KUL).

As for 2011, I have only one resolution :

Fly to Tianjin (Beijing) on D7 (in July 2011)

My travel resolutions/goals for 2011...

1.Achieve gold status on MH's Enrich!!

2.Achieve gold status on QF's FFP!!

3.Visit a new country I've never been to before.

4.Not step foot on an AK/D7 flight. :finger:

Hmmm...that's all I can think of so far... ;)

I listed out 11 aviation resolutions in 2010, and the results are as follows:

1. To break my record of flying on 53 sectors (achieved in 2007) and 50,677 miles (achieved in 2008) in a single calendar year. This one will be a default resolution every year.

Result: NOT ACHIEVED - I only managed to clock in 16 sectors and 34,766 miles in 2010.

2. To perform at least two (2) return long haul journeys (flight time of more than 7 hours) on a personal expense. Company paid trips will not be eligible. Up from 1 return journey in 2009 - giving myself a bit of a challenge.

Result: NOT ACHIEVED - I only performed 1 return long haul journey KUL-CDG-KUL in June 2010 on a personal expense. I also have 1 return DXB-KUL-DXB and AUH-SIN-AUH but these 2 flights are paid by the company.

3. To fly in a premium cabin. This is an entirely new resolution inspired by the recent experience aboard MH's First Class cabin. I just make it general, so it could be MH's Business Class, MH's First Class, SQ's Suite, SQ's First Class, SQ's Business Class, EK's First Class or EK's Business Class, for example.

Result: ACHIEVED - I flew DMM-JED on Business Class in December 2010. This year's achievement although nowhere as glam as last year's experience (MH's First Class KUL-LHR) is still fitting resolution no. 3.

4. To keep a healthy activities in all my MH's Enrich, KLM's Flying Blue, SQ's KrisFlyer and EK's Skywards FFP accounts. A default resolution.

Result: ACHIEVED - All my 4 FFP accounts recorded a movement, as follows (net margin):

MH's Enrich +4,784 miles
    KL's Flying Blue +2,000 miles
    SQ's KrisFlyer +11,514 miles
    EK's Skywards +6,600 miles

Year end 2010 miles balances are as follows:

MH's Enrich - 97,368 miles
    KL's Flying Blue - 55,595 miles
    SQ's KrisFlyer - 32,542 miles
    EK's Skywards - 16,533 miles

5. To make a miles redemption from any of my 4 FFPs. A total of 41,696 Enrich miles will be expiring by 31 December 2010, so I might make some redemptions should there is an interesting offer from MH. However, I have the option of extending the miles for another year with little fee. My Flying Blue miles will be expiring beginning August 2011, so there's no need to be worried. The same goes for my KrisFlyer miles which will be expiring in 2 years time but a total of 3,411 Skywards miles will start expiring by 31 January 2011 - maybe something should be done about this.

Result: ACHIEVED - I redeemed 42,000 Enrich miles on 24 June 2010 for a return ticket KUL-CDG-KUL in Economy Class with MH. My first trip to the enchanting Paris. The redemption also cleared all Enrich miles that will be expiring by the end of 2010 nicely. Snippets of the journey was documented in my trip report thread http://www.malaysianwings.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=13689 reply #166 and #207.

6. To involve in a special aviation related event (such as an inaugural flight). Very determined with this one this year after multiple failures in 2009. There are 2 events that I have been keeping a close watch at the moment, hopefully it will materialised.

Result: ACHIEVED - I attended the inaugural edition of the Bahrain International Airshow 2010 on 22 - 23 January 2010 in Sakhir Airbase in Bahrain. This is also the first airshow event that I ever attended.

7. To perform any of the *FlightMemory-list flights. *This is some craziness that I have developed since joining FlightMemory that I want to round up all flights performed so far so that the numbers of the routings, airports' pairings and airlines flown are even. Therefore, I have to perform a few flights to satisfy this very wierd yet disturbing matter in my head. There are 41 flights (!!!) to be performed by the way but it is not urgent. A fulfilment of 1 flight from this list would be satisfying though.

Result: NOT ACHIEVED - No FlightMemory-crazy flight performed in 2010 as I spent almost the entire year in Saudi Arabia.

8. To fly domestically in Saudi Arabia. A default resolution as long as I remain in Saudi Arabia.

Result: ACHIEVED - I flew JED-DMM vv in December 2010 to do a little sightseeing of the Eastern Region cities of Dammam, Dhahran and Al Khobar.

9. To fly the best airline which provide 'value for my money' for all flights. Emphasized on 'value' and 'my money'. A default resolution to promote self prudent spending.

Result: ACHIEVED - All 16 flights performed in 2010 are purchased using the formula 'the best value for my money'.

10. To visit at least 2 new countries. A repeat of 2009's resolution that does not come true. I have to visit 2 new countries to move on.

Result: ACHIEVED - I visited Bahrain in January 2010 and France in June 2010, both for the very first time!

11. To finally fly aboard an A380 for the first time. Will it be SQ's or EK's? I can't wait to surprise myself.

Result: ACHIEVED - I flown aboard the mighty Airbus 380-800 aircraft for the very first time on 23 February 2010 performing JED-DXB with EK. The return sector, DXB-JED was also with the A380. The whole experience was documented in my trip report thread http://www.malaysianwings.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=13689 beginning from reply #163.

So folks, 8 out of 11 resolutions are fulfilled in 2010, representing a successful rate of 72.73%. Not bad isn't it? The second half of 2010 has been slow as far as my aviation resolutions are concerned due to commitment with career and other matters such as hajj.

2 January 2011. This reply was supposed to be uploaded yesterday, but I am having some problem with my lappie. Nevertheless, a bit of a reflection of my aviation resolutions since this thread was created:

2007 | Theme: Greediness/I Want It All/I Don't Wanna Miss a Thing | Result: 5/12 | 41.67%

2008 | Theme: Cost Saving | Result: 10.5/12 | 87.5%

2009 | Theme: Modesty but Still Ambitious and Challenging | Result: 5.5/13 | 42.31%

2010 | Theme: Quality over Quantity | Result: 8/11 | 72.73%

I am very determined to make a lot of changes in 2011, and therefore the theme for 2011's aviation resolution is 'Change'.

As a commercial passenger, I have listed 16 'changes' to be fulfilled in 2011, as follows:

1. To break my record of flying on 53 sectors (achieved in 2007) and 50,677 miles (achieved in 2008) in a single calendar year. A default resolution.

2. To perform at least two (2) return long haul journeys (flight time of more than 7 hours) on a personal expense. Company paid trips will not be eligible. This is a repeat of 2010's aviation resolution which did not come true. It has to be achieved for me to move on.

3. To fly in a premium cabin at least on 1 sector. Now will be a default resolution every year.

4. To keep a healthy activity in all my frequent flyer program accounts - MH's Enrich, KLM's Flying Blue, SQ's KrisFlyer and EK's Skywards. A default resolution.

5. To make a miles redemption from any of my 4 FFPs. A total of 44,571 Enrich miles will be expiring by 31 December 2011, 3,411 Skywards miles will be expiring by 31 January 2011 and all the Flying Blue miles will be expiring by August 2011. So what I am planning to do is to make 1 redemption with MH and bring forward the remaining miles that is going to expire to 2012 (with a fee of course) and redeem Raffle rewards (monthly lucky draw to win Business Class ticket) for Skywards miles. As for the Flying Blue miles, I intend to fly with KLM or AF so that the miles will be getting an extension lease of life for another 20 months.

6. To involve in a special aviation related event (such as an inaugural flight or attending an air show). Now will be a default resolution every year. There are a lot of exciting events lining up in 2011 which I have in my mind - Paris Air Show, Dubai Air Show, LIMA 2011, Capt. Nik's Osh Kosh Charter Trip, D7's Charity Flight featuring Sir Richard Branson as a flight stewardess and of course MalaysianWings annual gathering. Hopefully I can be present at any of the events.

7. To perform any of the FlightMemory-list flights. Now will be a default resolution every year.

8. To fly domestically in Saudi Arabia. A default resolution as long as I remain in Saudi Arabia. There might be a high possibility that I am relocating to another country or I might return to Malaysia in 2011, so if any of that plans materialise, a domestic flight in that particular country or Malaysia is essential as well.

9. To fly the best airline which provide 'value for my money' for all flights. Emphasized on 'value' and 'my money'. A default resolution to promote self prudent spending.

10. To visit at least 3 new countries. Up from 2 countries in 2010's resolution.

11. I want to shower in the sky. Isn't it so obvious?

12. To fly aboard MH's new Boeing Sky interiored B738s at least on 1 sector.

13. To fly aboard MH's new A333s at least on 1 sector.

14. To MAYBE fly AK for the very first time ever in my entire lifetime. To support a very determined, agressive and a real fighter Malaysian airline.

15. To circumnavigate the Earth for 10 times in my FlightMemory. Currently I have circumnavigated the Earth 9.36 times.

16. To finally arrived on the Moon (FlightMemory). Todate, my journey in distance travelled to the Moon is 97.6% completed.

So folks, 16 aviation resolutions for 2011, the most I ever planned todate in a single calendar year. Of all, wish me luck.

HAPPY NEW YEAR 2011 TO ALL MALAYSIANWINGS MEMBERS

Edited by Mohd Azizul Ramli

..... other matters such as hajj.

I bet that alone should be vastly more gratifying than the balance 27.27% achievement rate, no ? :pardon: :D

I bet that alone should be vastly more gratifying than the balance 27.27% achievement rate, no ?

Oh definitely! It was the highlight of 2010, nowhere in the same league as all 'resolutions' written here LOL.

A bit OT, but were you subjected to the same Malaysian quota for pilgrims though you were/are abroad, and I assume travelled to the holy land not from tanah air ?

No I wasn't. I was considered as a local pilgrim just like an ordinary Saudi (because I am based in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia - the gateway into the holy city of Mecca). Mr. Tam if you have Facebook, you can read about my experience there. I have posted some sort of a trip report in one of my photo album, but it is not viewable to the public, only those within my network of friends can access it.

Mine would prolly be the same as few years: FLY MORE! hehe

First ride on the A380 would be on the list for this year! hehe

New 2011 resolution:

To finish visiting the rest of the Schengen (and associate)-countries with Mai; 8 more to go: Norway, Iceland, Slovenia, Estonia, Latvia, Malta, Cyprus and Portugal...we were able to do the rest during 2009 and 2010... :pardon:

(it's rumoured, Romania and Bulgaria will join in 2011; if that happens, we need those 2 aswell)...

My travel/aviation resolutions for 2010:

1. To travel during long weekends from LUX to at least 2 European countries that I have not been to. Top priority includes Malta (Air Malta from FRA/BRU) and Finland (Ryanair from HHN).

2. To return to KUL in Aug/Sep for Raya. Ideally I prefer it to be on KLM but would most likely end up with MAS SuperSaver KUL-FRA. It would be great to finally give A380 a try on CDG-DXB-KUL, but I hate connecting at midpoint when flying Europe-KUL, so I guess my first A380 experience would have to wait a bit more.

3. To travel longhaul during Christmas break, currently eyeing on Antarctica as first choice. Preferrably on a SkyTeam airline, i.e. Air Europa or Air France CDG/MAD-EZE, connecting to LAN or Aerolineas AEP/EZE-USH, then cruise/sailing to the 7th continent. This is by far my most ambitious travel resolution to date, so wish me luck!

Point 1 accomplished, two short breaks in Malta and Tuscany.

Point 2 accomplished, went home for raya on EK CDG-DXB-KUL, inbound on A380 - my first.

Point 3 accomplished, finally conquered my 6th (South America) and 7th (Antarctica) continents.

New airlines flown in 2010 = 9 = Air Malta, Kenya Airways, Rwandair, Air Excel Tanzania, LAN, LAN Argentina, Aerolineas Argentinas, Iberia & Firefly

New countries visited in 2010 = 6 = Malta, Tanzania, Rwanda, Argentina, Chile & Antarctica*

(*) not strictly a country since nobody owns it

For 2011, I'm eyeing on Jordan, The Himalayas & Ecuador.