MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Mohd Hazman Arfandy

COME HELP ME CHOOSE....

IN BECOMING A PILOT....  

51 members have voted

1. 1. ONE WHO IS FRENZY IN BECOMING A PILOT SHOULD?

• JUST GO STRAIGTH TO THE PATH(AFTER SPM JOIN CADET PILOT PROGRAMME)
    • FINISH DEGREE FIRST,THEN TURN TO PILOT.
    • OTHERS.(STATE WHAT)

its really a pain in the head to think about this,some say better get a degree first before becoming a pilot and some say just go straight ahead for pilot.really put me to the wits end la...can you guys help me out?just want to know you guys' opinion & choice if you are in my shoes...thanks!

well,i'm really interested in joining MAS cadet pilot programme.better if i got the chance to join HMA,then easy loh,just near my house...quite interested with SIA's,but if i'm not mistaken,they dont take "lepasan SPM'".right?

When or how you want to go, it's for you to decide.

If you want to go straight away after SPM, you can choose HMA which only requires that you must pass your Math and any of your Science subject, preferably Physics. You need at least to be 17 years old to enroll.

I take my SPM result and go on with A level in Houston. After High School graduation, I received an offer from United Airline, offer me to join the cadet with my A level result. But I decline it. My dad did encourage me to join the cadet under HMA or MFA, but I decided to at least get a degree first.

I encourage you to get a degree first. If you have degree, you not only can be a pilot, It's more then you can ever think.

Azuddin

Edited by Azuddin

Get a degree first. What if 1 day u have problem working as a pilot , not suitable to be a pilot anymore , without any certificate u wont get any good job. So, be safe , get a degree first.

Straight after SPM :D

I joined MAS cadetship right after SPM, that was almost 4 years ago. I waited almost a year (inclusive of tests, interview and medical) before they sent me to MFA. While waiting for MAS to call me up, I was doing my diploma. Just incase if I didn't make it thru the selection process, atleast I still have my diploma to fall back on. Completed my training in 16 months. When I joined MAS, I was only 18. I flew the 737 for about a year and then got promoted to airbus just recently. Been flying her for about 3 months now. Btw, you could always do part time studying later on so you can fall back on that too!

But, at the end of the day, it's all up to you buddy! B)

Cheers!

Edited by Mohd. Afiq A.

Straight after SPM :D

I joined MAS cadetship right after SPM, that was almost 4 years ago. I waited almost a year (inclusive of tests, interview and medical) before they sent me to MFA. While waiting for MAS to call me up, I was doing my diploma. Just incase if I didn't make it thru the selection process, atleast I still have my diploma to fall back on. Completed my training in 16 months. When I joined MAS, I was only 18. I flew the 737 for about a year and then got promoted to airbus just recently. Been flying her for about 3 months now. Btw, you could always do part time studying later on so you can fall back on that too!

But, at the end of the day, it's all up to you buddy! B)

Cheers!

WOW!great!your mind is just like mine!hahaha......i did thought of doing the same as what you did....boleh ke mcm tu?seriously,i'm so obsess to become a pilot.one question,once i've become a pilot and working,do i have time to do "part-time" study?if can,mayb i can use that time to do my "backup"....

since u can ask such question, might as well u go for your degree...

no offense, u are unable to determine which road now, so if you join as cadet now, same thing will happen

take the time go through the degree and develop your decision making skills.

u need to learn make decision as a pilot, and ask yourself whether u have that now.

sorry if i offended you.

Edited by Lim Chun K.

WOW!great!your mind is just like mine!hahaha......i did thought of doing the same as what you did....boleh ke mcm tu?seriously,i'm so obsess to become a pilot.one question,once i've become a pilot and working,do i have time to do "part-time" study?if can,mayb i can use that time to do my "backup"....

Got time don't worry. I know a few people who already did.

no offense, u are unable to determine which road now, so if you join as cadet now, same thing will happen

u need to learn make decision as a pilot, and ask yourself whether u have that now.

sorry if i offended you.

well,actually,my major know would defenitely be pilot rather than making up degree.its ok for the offence,it opens up my thought though.i didnt even plan to further my study since my interest lies only in pilot...gosh,cant wait loh >< you know what,i dont think i have the interest in making up degree which i doubt will spoil my degree later due to my "reluctantness" in that field...anyway thanks,please keep your thoughts coming.need to sum them up to make a wise decision...

Edited by Mohd Hazman Arfandy

saya pun nak jadi pilot juga. semua org x sabar nak pakai uniform dan topi pilot tu kan?.....

dapatkan degree dahulu....degree bukan untuk mencari kerja semata-mata...ia mengajar byk perkara...mengenal kekuatan diri sendiri, kelemahan diri sendiri, bagaimana untuk membezakan antara rakan, kawan, kenalan dan sahabat(4 perkataan yang hampir sama,tp bagi saya ia berbeza makna)..dan byk perkara lain lagi. sgt bermakna diri anda kalau ada ijazah. di universiti, kalau anda dapat 4.0 dalam peperiksaan semester tidak semestinya pensyarah2 dan junior2 kenal anda. percayalah. anda dikenali oleh masyarakat universiti kerana kebolehan, kematangan, dan personaliti anda.

saya baru sahaja menamatkan pengajian di universiti malaya dlm bidang computer science, bidang pilihan saya. masa isi borang apply Univerisiti lepas matrik, saya letak atas skali. tidak dapat dinafikan ramai masyarakat luar agak memandang rendah bidang ini. malah saya pernah diejek oleh kenalan saya yang sedang menjalani latihan jurutera MAS. saya kenali beliau semasa matrikulasi. diejek depan2 pula.siap gelak2 lagi dgn rakan2 diorang yang saya x kenal.memang sombong. mentang2 la dorang jurutera MAS. ramai org kata "susah dpt kerja la course ni...".."x glamor la".... ye ker??. sebaliknya,belum graduat lagi ramai penuntut fakulti kami buat freelance sampai ribuan ringgit...apatah lagi kalo dah grad kan...malahan saya pernah ditawarkan kerja sbg project manager untuk satu projek perisian keselamatan utk kementerian, namun saya tolak kerana hendak main computer game masa cuti semester 3 bulan...bukan ape...prinsip saya masa tgh belajar, jadi pelajar, masa bekerja jadi pekerja...bile lagi nak rasa cuti 3 bulan duk lepak kat rumah kan?...

sepanjang saya belajar di Universiti, saya dah byk kali buat percubaan "cabut lari". Jangan kata temuduga MAS, SIA pun saya pergi. masa SIA saya guna result Matrikulasi dan slip peperiksaan semester Universiti. tapi dua2 xde rezeki. sedar2 dah tamat belajar. x sangka pula abis belajar...sedangkan fokus saya nak kluar Universiti masa tengah jalan.

ironic juga ramai penuntut master dan PHd sedang membuat penyelidikan di Universiti Malaya dari kalangan juruterbang.. Saya kenal seorang Kapten MAS, pilot 737-400. beliau sedang buat Master dalam bidang IT.Gaji ribuan ringgit, tapi masih belajar. malahan umur 52 tahun. adakah anda rasa Master tersebut sbg 'backup'?.. saya pun x pasti mengape umur dah nak pencen masih belajar....beri pendapat anda...

sorry if i offended you.

Making decision as a pilot is totally different thing from making decision of what you want to take now. It's a skill you learn while flying. Even now captain and co pilot normally discuss on a lot of things in flight. If i can make split second decision as to whether i want to have teh 'o' ais or milo ais, still that doesn't make me a good decision maker.

My suggestion, apply for cadetship now. The opportunity won't come everyday. If you get it, go and grab it. If you want to go to flying school yourself, the risk will be there. I was jobless for 4 months before i joined MAS. My batchmate scattered all around, few flying the fokker 50 and twin otter, some 727, Dash 7,B733 and A320 and some lucky enough to be flying SIA B744 at the age of 21yrs old.

Lately, I have not seen any private candidate joining MAS. Job is always there, but you cannot be picky as to what aircraft you want to fly later.

In Australia or in other countries, you can train to become a pilot and do you degree at the same time. You have the choice of Bachelor of Aviation, Bachelor of Aviation Science and a Business Management Degree. I plan to complete all my flight training and at the end of the training period I will recieve a Diploma In Aviation, with that Diploma I can go into the 2nd year of the Degree programs stated above. In the end I would have my CPL and a degree.

Or I can choose the degree later anytime I want, so if for some reason I do not become a pilot, I can always go back to the University

Edited by Prashant K

Prashant got the point

Even for me right now, I'm and aviation fan, but I'm doing Diploma in IT. Many says that "what does IT have to do with aviation". actually IT have a lot to do with aviation, especially when there's all this Fly-By-Wire technology, also you can't program aircraft autopilot without it. Last month, I just figure out on how to program TCAS and GPWS, for real thing.

My Diploma is just the main route, actually I already have a diploma and I'm working on second one. I'm planning on going Aviation IT for degree in Arizona. With Aviation IT, I have a chance to go aircraft engineering or air crash investigating

Highly encourage you get degree. Always remember that the sky is not always clear blue. Life of a pilot is very fragile. If you are a pilot with a degree, let say if one day you suffer an injury which you are force to cannot fly again, you won,t be sitting around jobless. You have other option.

Azuddin

Spoilt for choices now huh Hazman. No worries yea, there's no right or wrong decision to this. It depends on what you want right now. Half of my batchmates were degree holders, half were SPM holders.

Like what Azuddin said, life as a pilot is very fragile. Anything can happen, so you must take good care of yourself.

The road to becoming one is not an easy path, I'm sure everyone would agree with that. It's a very steep learning curve and what you're about to learn in flying school is totally different than what you have learned in high school. You have so much things to learn in a very short span of time so you must work hard and most importantly, it's something that you really really want and give your full attention to it. I've seen people dropping out halfway because they cannot cope.

Whatever it is, make your decision wisely, take some time to think about it. And as of today, I'm quite happy with the decision I made almost 4 years ago B)

Cheers!

saya pun nak jadi pilot juga. semua org x sabar nak pakai uniform dan topi pilot tu kan?.....dapatkan degree dahulu....degree bukan untuk mencari kerja semata-mata...ia mengajar byk perkara...mengenal kekuatan diri sendiri, kelemahan diri sendiri, bagaimana untuk membezakan antara rakan, kawan, kenalan dan sahabat(4 perkataan yang hampir sama,tp bagi saya ia berbeza makna)..dan byk perkara lain lagi. sgt bermakna diri anda kalau ada ijazah. di universiti, kalau anda dapat 4.0 dalam peperiksaan semester tidak semestinya pensyarah2 dan junior2 kenal anda. percayalah. anda dikenali oleh masyarakat universiti kerana kebolehan, kematangan, dan personaliti anda.saya baru sahaja menamatkan pengajian di universiti malaya dlm bidang computer science, bidang pilihan saya. masa isi borang apply Univerisiti lepas matrik, saya letak atas skali. tidak dapat dinafikan ramai masyarakat luar agak memandang rendah bidang ini. malah saya pernah diejek oleh kenalan saya yang sedang menjalani latihan jurutera MAS. saya kenali beliau semasa matrikulasi. diejek depan2 pula.siap gelak2 lagi dgn rakan2 diorang yang saya x kenal.memang sombong. mentang2 la dorang jurutera MAS. ramai org kata "susah dpt kerja la course ni...".."x glamor la".... ye ker??. sebaliknya,belum graduat lagi ramai penuntut fakulti kami buat freelance sampai ribuan ringgit...apatah lagi kalo dah grad kan...malahan saya pernah ditawarkan kerja sbg project manager untuk satu projek perisian keselamatan utk kementerian, namun saya tolak kerana hendak main computer game masa cuti semester 3 bulan...bukan ape...prinsip saya masa tgh belajar, jadi pelajar, masa bekerja jadi pekerja...bile lagi nak rasa cuti 3 bulan duk lepak kat rumah kan?...sepanjang saya belajar di Universiti, saya dah byk kali buat percubaan "cabut lari". Jangan kata temuduga MAS, SIA pun saya pergi. masa SIA saya guna result Matrikulasi dan slip peperiksaan semester Universiti. tapi dua2 xde rezeki. sedar2 dah tamat belajar. x sangka pula abis belajar...sedangkan fokus saya nak kluar Universiti masa tengah jalan. ironic juga ramai penuntut master dan PHd sedang membuat penyelidikan di Universiti Malaya dari kalangan juruterbang.. Saya kenal seorang Kapten MAS, pilot 737-400. beliau sedang buat Master dalam bidang IT.Gaji ribuan ringgit, tapi masih belajar. malahan umur 52 tahun. adakah anda rasa Master tersebut sbg 'backup'?.. saya pun x pasti mengape umur dah nak pencen masih belajar....beri pendapat anda...
nice!so kiranya awak ni pon ada gakla nk cabut lari waktu buat degree?saya rasa kalau saya sambung buat degree pun saya akan buat macam tu.mana bley tahan....x sabaq gila nak jadik pilot neh!huhu....."backup" yang saya maksudkan tu bley jadi degree@diploma atau maybe master.mungkin jugak kapten yang awak kenal tu cuba buat macam tu,backup la maksud saya...ala,belajar ni sampai bil pon x abes...Rasulullah pun pnah bersabda,tuntutlah ilmu hingga ke liang lahad & tuntutlah ilmu higga ke negeri cina.see?x kirala umo kita brapa pon,study still go on.mungkin jugak saya akan ikut jejak awak,sambil buat degree cuba apply cadet.would be nice also.tapi mungkin jugak saya join cadet dulu,then after dah jadi pilot baru lah sambung blajar kat U,macam kapten yang awak kenal tu.....how is that?kalau x silap saya,pilot punya duty maximum pun 14 days a month kan?rasany maacam ada masa untuk belajar lagi....tapi x pe,still thinking....after all,my result will only come out next year.still got lot of time to make decision.....
Prashant got the pointEven for me right now, I'm and aviation fan, but I'm doing Diploma in IT. Many says that "what does IT have to do with aviation". actually IT have a lot to do with aviation, especially when there's all this Fly-By-Wire technology, also you can't program aircraft autopilot without it. Last month, I just figure out on how to program TCAS and GPWS, for real thing.My Diploma is just the main route, actually I already have a diploma and I'm working on second one. I'm planning on going Aviation IT for degree in Arizona. With Aviation IT, I have a chance to go aircraft engineering or air crash investigating <--one of my choice), and still has the chance to go for pilot.Highly encourage you get degree. Always remember that the sky is not always clear blue. Life of a pilot is very fragile. If you are a pilot with a degree, let say if one day you suffer an injury which you are force to cannot fly again, you won,t be sitting around jobless. You have other option.Azuddin
i understand that...really,but,can the degree comes later?would it be possible?
In Australia or in other countries, you can train to become a pilot and do you degree at the same time. You have the choice of Bachelor of Aviation, Bachelor of Aviation Science and a Business Management Degree. I plan to complete all my flight training and at the end of the training period I will recieve a Diploma In Aviation, with that Diploma I can go into the 2nd year of the Degree programs stated above. In the end I would have my CPL and a degree.Or I can choose the degree later anytime I want, so if for some reason I do not become a pilot, I can always go back to the University
hey,that's cool too!but how long does it takes to complete all your degree and your CPL there?but,if you obtain a foreign licence,you will have to convert it later right?and it cost more money & time for that purpoe isn't it?

i understand that...really,but,can the degree comes later?

It's possible

But by looking at todays time, with cost of living is high, many students going to college or university after high school. It would be weird if you go for it later when you are a lot older then other students in your class, but you just about to start your degree.

I'm not forcing you how you should be, you decide how you want it.

Azuddin

Edited by Azuddin

It's possible

But by looking at todays time, with cost of living is high, many students going to college or university after high school. It would be weird if you go for it later when you are a lot older then other students in your class, but you just about to start your degree.

I'm not forcing you how you should be, you decide how you want it.

Azuddin

yea,maybe i'll be the oldest student there.but i guess i'm surely not the only one to be.anyway,thanks mate! :drinks:

nice!so kiranya awak ni pon ada gakla nk cabut lari waktu buat degree?saya rasa kalau saya sambung buat degree pun saya akan buat macam tu.mana bley tahan....x sabaq gila nak jadik pilot neh!huhu....."backup" yang saya maksudkan tu bley jadi degree@diploma atau maybe master.mungkin jugak kapten yang awak kenal tu cuba buat macam tu,backup la maksud saya...ala,belajar ni sampai bil pon x abes...Rasulullah pun pnah bersabda,tuntutlah ilmu hingga ke liang lahad & tuntutlah ilmu higga ke negeri cina.see?x kirala umo kita brapa pon,study still go on.mungkin jugak saya akan ikut jejak awak,sambil buat degree cuba apply cadet.would be nice also.tapi mungkin jugak saya join cadet dulu,then after dah jadi pilot baru lah sambung blajar kat U,macam kapten yang awak kenal tu.....how is that?kalau x silap saya,pilot punya duty maximum pun 14 days a month kan?rasany maacam ada masa untuk belajar lagi....tapi x pe,still thinking....after all,my result will only come out next year.still got lot of time to make decision.....

i know u are worrying about not getting any chances to be a pilot after u have finished yur degree.. how about u create the chances by your own.........MARA is currently giving loans for the training... PTPTN probably will doing the same thing starting next year...yesterday..my friend, who is a pilot for A330 had little chat at kedai makan with a person from MAS HR management...he said that in next year, MAS will not giving any sponsorship.

Edited by Azlan

thanks guys!i think now i can make my decision.i'll choose the path my heart always wanted!thanks for your votes & precious advices& also thoughts....appreciate it a lot!arigato gozaimas,dankeschon!

Go with the degree first. Got friend work, monday to friday as a doctor at private clinic, saturday become student pilot at MFA.

Afiq have you flew with Capt.Zulfakar A330.?

Poll percentage says it all: go for degree 1st !!! ;)

Sign in to follow this