MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Radzi

AK A320 in MH Hangar

In MH, your given 80 sectors to clear solo during your line training on the 73, in AK, after 6-8 sectors, u can solo. The max is 150 sectors to clear line training. The record is 69. If u clear before 100, you are really good. In AK, u usually clear around 70 sectors your line training. Dont get me wrong, i'm not saying AK has low standards, but after speaking to some of my AK freinds who just finish line training, its scary. Imagine, solo(Functional) after 8 sectors. Just imagine if the Capt had a heart attack ( a lot of AK captains are old ).....just scary

There are also differences between Mh and AK during induction training phase and type rating upgrades. The ground school, number of sim sessions, syllabus, checks etc etc. On Base checks a total of 6 man-days per year is budgeted for. with the B73 fleet having about 360 tech crew thats about 2160 mandays per year 'wasted'. There is no real minimum required by law and an airline can just about set any number of days as long as the minimum is met. This goes into the airline training manual or Flt Ops 'Procedure ' book which then is accepted by DCA.

The LCC business model always runs on minimums. Whatever is legal is ok.

That explains Jannar's post with regards to differences in the training requirement.

Hence, with Jannar's post ( if accurate ) a 20 year old with a frozen ATPL and a total of 100 + hours on piston single and another 20 + hours on a piston twin can find himself next to a new Captain after some ground school and another 60 + hours on an AK jetliner with a full load of paying pax departing on the 5th sector to an airfield that's covered by CB, while doing 20 minute turnaround.

WOW :blink:

Now Capt. Nik H. answer gives me the scare :blink: but thanks for the insight :rolleyes:

Ever since I started traveling I've often wondered ... is the kid on the right seat, handling a US$200mil machine with 300 lives, mature enough to appreciate those responsibilities? Like the 25-yr-old chap caught for child pr0n at ADL.

Now Capt. Nik H. answer gives me the scare :blink: but thanks for the insight :rolleyes:

Do read my post carefully. Nowhere did i say AK's training requirements are dangerous. On the contrary, I took great pain to impress that it complies with the Regulations.

However, I did point out that Mh invests much more into Pilot training, especially in areas of consolidation of both handling skills and CRM. Just like driving a car, all licensed drivers went through a certain level of minimum training and passed through the test. However, the few drivers who went through an advanced driving course ( not required by law ) will most certainly be better drivers. There is a direct similarity here.

Then when you add to it the pressures of a 'heavy' or 'tight' rostering, consecutive morning departures, short turnaround times etc etc......the chain is stretched fairly long.......( but still allowable by regulations )....well......

Ever since I started traveling I've often wondered ... is the kid on the right seat, handling a US$200mil machine with 300 lives, mature enough to appreciate those responsibilities? Like the 25-yr-old chap caught for child pr0n at ADL.

That's why there's a requirement for training. Extensive training above the minimum requirement of the regulations. I have flown with 21 year old kids who are fresh out of training school and have not observed any lacking of skills in regards to their job that can be attributed to their age. Their line experience may be lacking given that they are new to the environment but they learn pretty fast.

Competency and maturity, although linked in many ays, are quite two different things in aviation.

The guy on the left is still the factor to bring the best out of the boy in the right. Lousy Captains normally start off as lousy Co Pilots. By lousy, I don't ,mean flying skills exclusively, but a host of other behaviors that makes a good person.

I don't know what relevance your statement about the ADL case has on this subject ( ?????? )

Edited by Nik H.

You get monkey if you pay peanuts

Not really la.... under the current circumstances AK IS getting GREAT value for money in the context of Pilot quality for what they are paying. The pilots of AK are hardly monkeys, and the pay is not quite that bad, although its almost peanuts as compared to others doing the same job elsewhere. Then again, its not quite as bad as some would like us to believe otherwise there will be a Pilot exodus. ( Perhaps the 15 year (!!!) bond is a strong stay factor )

I think,AK and in general, other Asian airlines must realise that Pilot cost is just not about the salary being paid but also the investments in training and other benefits. Pilot salary is only a component of total pilot cost. Paying Pilots a higher salary will not make an airline instantly safer, but happy pilots normally means a more productive pilot workforce.

This will in turn benefit the airline in many ways.

I'm talking about money here, and although not quite the subject as per topic title, still somewhat relevant.

As for safety and competency, we Malaysians should be proud that the flyboys of MH are definitely among the best in the world. And when we figure the cost/competency ratio, MH pilots are the BEST.

And about the heavy landing incident that happened to the AK Bus, I wouldn't dare a guess as I don't really know the circumstance leading to the incident, so one cannot judge too harshly.

agree with Capt Nik - MAS pilots are one of the most sought after in the world. Airlines like SQ, KE, EK, QR etc etc are keen to poach MAS pilots who are extremely competent in what they do.

on tuesday if im not mistaken. i saw an AK A320 landing at subang for maintanance

To date, no AK A320 land in SZB for maint except for endorsement flight.

i believed the 20 engineers send for training in France were from MAS, correct Samsyuri? :pardon: because our friend was among the 20 engineers who was in France for the training.

Haaa!!! you know the story aaa??? :nea: It is partly correct.. 18 mechanical engineers and 18 avionics engineers actually.. We were sent to Frankfurt, Germany on a 3 weeks practical training with Lufthansa Technik Training.

currently her cabin is being stripped to do the necessary checks as recommended by airbus. it is going to take a while as it is categorised as severe, and the best part is she's losing alll her valuable parts! yes, she's being cannibalised wherever possible.

First hull write off for AK? :sorry: :(

:drinks:

i thought they only cannibalized F50 as it is not their bird. but it seems that their own A320 also kena cannibalized kah, what a pity. what about the A330, whose A330 would they cannibalize soon? :blink:

i thought they only cannibalized F50 as it is not their bird. but it seems that their own A320 also kena cannibalized kah, what a pity. what about the A330, whose A330 would they cannibalize soon? :blink:

Hehehe, when MH dudes not around, sure MH A330 parts kena WALLAPEd!!!

Very sad to see Fox Alpha being Alphanized!!!!! <_>

Thanks for the bit of 'transparency' with regards to AK's handling of this unfortunate case. I find it good to know and have confidence in flying AK in ALL of my domestic air travel needs.

just a few updates from the hangar.

AFA is scheduled to be AOG for about 3 months.

Thanks for update, Ramani. Been on AFA a few times (last was to Lima '07, iianm). Poor babe. 2161_crying_and_rubbing_eyes.gif

Latest from Airfleets about AFA.

Delivery date | Airline | Registration | Remark

07/12/2005 AirAsia 9M-AFA This aircraft is currently out of service after sustaining a 4.2 G landing at KUL.

Rumors about AFA being a write-off still persists. Any news from engineering side?

Latest from Airfleets about AFA.

Rumors about AFA being a write-off still persists. Any news from engineering side?

How 'hard' is a 4.2G landing? I mean, any practical analogy that us commonfolks can relate to? Like falling on your bum on hard concrete from 1 metre height?

How 'hard' is a 4.2G landing? I mean, any practical analogy that us commonfolks can relate to? Like falling on your bum on hard concrete from 1 metre height?

Way more than that I would think.

Like falling on your bum on hard concrete from 1 metre height?

If I'm not mistaken, that would approximate to 1G ?

If the aircraft lands at a typical weight of 50 tons, then the landing gear was subjected to 210 tons at point of touchdown. Normal landing would probably be in the region of 1.1G only.

If the aircraft lands at a typical weight of 50 tons, then the landing gear was subjected to 210 tons at point of touchdown. Normal landing would probably be in the region of 1.1G only.

Thanks, that's much clearer.

But how did the pilot put a 4.2G landing? Slam it nose down??? :help: