MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
H C Chai

Need advice on transit at KLIA

Hi guys

I bought a LHR-KUL ticket from an online travel agent in the UK (travelling with UL via CMB) and a KUL-KCH ticket via the MAS website. I have just been informed that my CMB-KUL flight is rescheduled to 1.5hrs later and I will be arriving KUL at 1425hrs instead of 1300hrs. My connecting flight to KCH leaves KUL at 1600hrs. This means my layover in KUL has been cut short from 3hrs to just 1.5hr. Based on my previous experience at KLIA, I am pretty sure that even if my UL flight arrives KUL on time, it will take me another 45 minutes or an hour to retrieve my luggage. By the time MAS check in counter would have closed already.

Worse case scenario - if I miss my KCH flight, how willing is MAS on putting me to the next available KCH bound flight? My booking class is L (discounted) and I don't think this helps…

I can try to check through my luggage to KCH from LHR and get my KUL-KCH boarding pass at the transit ticketing counter. My only concern is which airline will be responsible if my luggage is misplaced?

Thanks in advance ;)

Edited by H C Chai

i think u can check in at the transfer counter once u arrive in KUL. Few months back i travel to perth from KUL via SIN. my flight are suppose to be 3.40pm but it delayed until 5pm. . my connecting flight in SIN are at 6.25pm! i arrived at SIN its already about 6.10 pm. and i had to rush from terminal 2 to terminal 1. luckly there is a buggy to fetch me to terminal 1 transfer counter to check in. and rushed to the gate. the gate almost closed but luckly i made it. the flight had to be delayed for 15 minute all because of my 1 and only luggage to be transfered.

so, u had 1 hour time , its more than enough. u even have time to have a nap as well.

if u miss ur flight and there is no way u can get on another flight , hope over to LCCT to catch Airasia's flight.

Edited by Liew Hon Kit

Pretty tricky there if you asked me.

With MH 'new check-in system' (according to two equally annoyed check-in lady I faced) now, I had a difficulty in having my baggage through on my onward flight to BKI recently.

I was from KBR going to KUL and then to BKI. As I was travelling on promotional tickets which are on per leg basis, I have two booking numbers for the whole KBR-KUL-BKI journey. The lady in KBR had a difficulty in producing the KUL-BKI boarding pass to me although after an extended bout of typing on the keyboard, she managed to check my luggage through to BKI. I had to visit the transfer desk for my boarding pass on my onward flight.

And I was talking about the same airline on domestic routes within the same day with only some time apart.

In your case, you only have 90 minutes from ETA before your KCH flight, coming in with a different airline from an international destination. And we haven't factored in possible delays in your long journey home from LHR via CMB.

As for the 'L' ticket, I think it is non-refundable and non-exchangeable and only valid on the flight you are booked for.

Good luck Chai.

Welcome back home.

BUy travel insurance NOW. if you miss the flight ...i am sure you can at least get something back.

in response to Liew's post - SIN is a different kettle of fish than KUL. I would allow MORE time for things to work. SIN has a reputation to defend - KUL doesn't give a damn.

Edited by Izanee

Sign in to follow this