MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Alex L

Thai AirAsia A320

Just an illusion. since the gears are not too far apart, when on certain position, you'll see as if 2 tyres bogie, because the size of both tyres are almost the same. I was fooled for a .5 seconds too when looking at it :p

Nice livery, though the red color at the 'AirAsia' could be more elaborate.

looks nice, wonder whether it will come to KL or not.

I don think this bird is flying to KUL, yet. FD is juz getting this as their 3rd bird, so that means Airbus vice-versa from KUL-BKK-KUL will be Malaysian registration, sent via KUL. But wat i do know is FD is sending their 1st Airbus aka HS-ABA to PEN everyday. FD3543/FD3542 BKK-PEN-BKK. Btw, so as to tell those who do not know, this bird is registered as HS-ABC, latest Airbus for Thai AirAsia.

Regards,

Victor

p/s: nice livery huh??!! i like it too..

Sorry to bump up the topic, but here's a recent news article regarding the design of the new bird.

Flying high with design

Young Ekkawich Ariyawonsanukul's traditional-turned-contemporary design wins him free travel for a whole year

30060229-01.jpg

Ekkawich Ariyawongsanukul

Twenty-two-year-old Ekkawich Ariyawongsanukul said he had never been to Europe before even though his family runs a tourism business.

But after he won the aircraft painting contest - "Rabai See Airbus, Rabad Sai Thai AirAsia" - with his version of the unique Thai pattern of kanok, resembling tongues of fire, his dreams finally came true.

Earlier this month, Ekkawich, or "Peet" as his friends at the Faculty of Fine Arts, Chiang Mai University, call him, got a chance to fly to the Airbus Delivery Centre in Toulouse, France, to admire a brand new A320 Airbus with his kanok pattern painted on.

"Less is more" was the concept behind his winning work.

Ekkawich explains that, instead of putting his design all over the body of the aircraft, he chose to only paint the tail area. "When people see the aircraft up in the sky, the pattern can be very clear."

The contest was held to challenge all Thai university students to artfully depict Thai identity and the quality of this budget airline.

Ekkawich opted for the kanok pattern because it is both traditional and matches the airline's logo.

The design, however, didn't just come out of his imagination. It took time and dedicated research before he could settle on this unique pattern. He spent hours in the library studying the real characteristics of the kanok design before he came up with his own version. It took a week.

"Before being able to create my own design, I had to understand the peculiarities of the kanok. What it looks like and why it is different at each temple, so I could come up with my own basic concept."

During his research, Ekkawich discovered that traditional kanok designs were curvier and had many more delicate details. But since he had adopted the "less is more" concept, he decided to create a pattern he could call contemporary.

"All those complicated curves and lines had to be cut out, leaving only a simple filigree. A very complex design would have made it look more local, not international or modern."

Though his pattern may look like it is unfinished, Ekkawich says he intended to make it look that way to convey AirAsia's continuous development.

The colours used in the work are red and white, which as Ekkawich explains, match the airline's official colours.

"I don't want my work to distract people from the company's established brand. Other colours would only confuse them, because they are already familiar with the airline's red-and-white image."

After four sketches, the design was finalised using computer graphic software and the result was something that beat the 136 other graphics submitted by university students nationwide.

One of the judges, well-known Thai artist Suchart Wongthong, said Ekkawich's design was outstanding because he had used white space effectively in his kanok pattern.

"While other works were cramped with detail and colours, the few components in this work made it visible and easy to recognise the airline from a distance," Suchart explained.

"Graphics containing too many elements are suitable for looking at closely, but in this case the design had to be recognisable from a distance."

The other judges were national artist Naowarat Pongpaibool, who wrote a poem to be displayed on the front of the aircraft, and Thammasat University's Thai Khadi Research Institute's Anucha Thirakanont.

As winner, Ekkawich did not just get a trip to France, he also got himself and his family free tickets to any of Thai AirAsia's domestic and international destinations for a whole year.

Thai AirAsia's CEO Tassapon Bijleveld said the A320 Airbus with Ekkawich's design and Naowarat's poem were now being used for the Hat Yai, Shenzhen and Macau routes.

"This Airbus is the third out of the company's order of 40 new A320 Airbus aircraft which will replace our old Boeing 737-300. It is also the first aircraft in the world which bears the painting of a student and a poem by the national artist on its body."

Story and photo by Watchara Saengsrisin

The Nation

Link To Article

Edited by ericchai

Sign in to follow this