MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Fitri Shukri

RMAF Butterworth AFB

Great catch Laurie and Victor.

Thanks Capt. Radzi...

Whoa Victor, super catches! :)

Which runway was operational when you caught these beauties?

Thanks Flee. Rwy 18 was active yesterday afternoon.

Victor A, nice shots. Must try that area some time.

Thanks Laurie. Look for the swiflet "hotel" in the paddy field, good for afternoon shots.... :pardon:

Thanks Laurie. Look for the swiflet "hotel" in the paddy field, good for afternoon shots.... :pardon:

Shots look really tempting.

Yes, but very, very hot! Sunblock will be necessary!

BTW, is that P3 from the USAF or the more usual seen RAAF/RNZAF aircraft?

Yes, but very, very hot! Sunblock will be necessary!

BTW, is that P3 from the USAF or the more usual seen RAAF/RNZAF aircraft?

Sunblock is not required as you'll not be standing under the hot sun, swiftlet "hotel" provide enough shade and some more its very, very windy... B)

The P3 belongs to the RAAF and there's a C-17 in Butterworth, most likely belongs to RAAF too.

Fantastic shots, Victor & Laurie! Is the F-22 quieter than the other jets?

I just noticed that they have detached the refuelling probe from Hawk M40-22

Edited by MIR

Friday 20/06/2014

There were no fast flying jets today as it is the last day of exercise and the closing ceremony for Ex Cope Taufan 2014 is schedule in the afternoon/evening. Not much movement in the afternoon...

M101-01 AeroTree

AeroTreeM101-01.jpg

USAF KC-135

KC-13563-8038.jpg

p/s: Saw a pair of Black Hawks overflying Butterworth AFB this afternoon, sorry no photos of the pair.. :sorry:

p/s: Saw a pair of Black Hawks overflying Butterworth AFB this afternoon, sorry no photos of the pair.. :sorry:

There are a few Australian Army S-70A-9 Black Hawks around, probably the C-17 that you saw earlier brought them here.

That tanker is good catch.

There are a few Australian Army S-70A-9 Black Hawks around, probably the C-17 that you saw earlier brought them here.

That tanker is good catch.

Thanks MIR.. :hi:

The Raptors are no quieter than the others especially during takeoff roll but notice it is much quieter when doing fly-pass compared with the Eagles, the Hornets or the Fulcrum. The noisiest of the lots, I must say, goes to the Hawks... :pardon:

Strange that the Hawks are so noisy - the RR engines are the same as those that are on the Red Arrows.

Yes, take off should be noisy since they all deploy afterburners. The Hawks do not have afterburners and I don't recall the Red Arrows' formation takeoffs as particularly noisy.

Good catch - the KC-135.

I just noticed that they have detached the refuelling probe from Hawk M40-22

Thanks MIR.

No real difference in noise levels I thought. However, I only saw the aircraft on approach when throttled back.

Good spot on M40-22. I had not noticed the absence of the probe.

Hello from Germany,

on October 15th and 16th I'am planning to visit Butterworth for spotting. Would like to catch the F-5's and hopefully some MiG's as visitors.

I have some questions, hope you'll find some answers for me!? ;-)

Is it allowed to take pictures from military airplanes or will I get trouble with the Police?

Are there good spotting-locations around RMAF Butterworth?

What planes can I expect (visitors from other bases etc.)? Any exercises announced?

Thanks for your help!

Cheers!

Sascha

Edited by Sascha

Hello from Germany,

on October 15th and 16th I'am planning to visit Butterworth for spotting. Would like to catch the F-5's and hopefully some MiG's as visitors.

I have some questions, hope you'll find some answers for me!? ;-)

Is it allowed to take pictures from military airplanes or will I get trouble with the Police?

Are there good spotting-locations around RMAF Butterworth?

What planes can I expect (visitors from other bases etc.)? Any exercises announced?

Thanks for your help!

Cheers!

Sascha

Hello Sascha,

To answer some of your inquiries...

taking photos of military aircraft in Butterworth is generally safe and won't get you into trouble with the police or airforce police as long as you're taking photos from public area and not too close to the airbase perimeter fence.

Off course, there're a few good locations for you to take photos, especially for landing or approach shots.

the only drawback it that, nobody actually know for sure the training schedule for RMAF aircrafts stationed in Butterworth and as far as I know, there's no exercise schedule to take place in October. as for visitors from other bases, most of the time it is by chance and luck.

hope i answer some of your question...

cheers...

Edited by Victor A.

Hello Victor,

thanks you for the informations!

Cheers!

RMAF have installed several CCTV at their perimeter and the camera swivel to by remote control. I'm not trying to be racist, but a foreigner taking photos of RMAF air base could ring some bells inside the base and provoke them to 'scramble' Provost jeep. So please be careful.

Could there be an aerial refueler and some super jets passing through tomorrow?

This evening, SBS World News reported:

"Tomorrow the Prime Minister, opposition leader and defence force chief will farewell two more contingents from airbases at....."

5:08, http://www.sbs.com.au/news/video/330183235844/SBS-World-News-17-September-630-part-1

Edited by MIR

RAAF deployed a King Air 350 (A32-426) and two P-3 Orion.

RAF C-17 (ZZ172) and RAAF C-17( A41-207) probably sent some cargo earlier this week.

ZJ916 / QO-S Typhoon FGR4

ZJ925 / QO-R FGR4

ZJ918 / QO-L FGR4

ZJ919 / DC FGR4

ZJ935 / DJ FGR4

ZJ802 / ?? Typhoon T3 (twin seater)

MIR, the Typhoon T3, ZJ802, carries the tailcode BP. Saw it this morning in a 4-ship formation running-in to Butterworth.

Edited by LaurieB