MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Fitri Shukri

RMAF Butterworth AFB

I'm starting a new thread dedicated to spotting near Royal Malaysian Air Force Butterworth Base. If can get close enough without getting caught, or spotted by men in blue uniform...

They put up a show today, for us folks in Butterworth... but the surprise was to see two elusive F-5E, old but still awesome :good:

rmaf1.jpg

I only manage to 'shoot' one

Went to different location, was greeted with this just landed Aermacchi MB339

rmaf2.jpg

Then waited... waited... and waited... until something appear from 'deaf zone'

rmaf3.jpg

Will post some more photos soon. 'Selamat menengok' (happy viewing) B)

very nice.

That F-5E looks more like an F-5F trainer, but not the Tigereye version. Anyway, still a rare sight these days.

btw, Did you know that via Google earth, you can see the "cemetery" of the old A4s amidst the greenery of the KUA airbase?

very nice.

That F-5E looks more like an F-5F trainer, but not the Tigereye version. Anyway, still a rare sight these days.

btw, Did you know that via Google earth, you can see the "cemetery" of the old A4s amidst the greenery of the KUA airbase?

Thanks Mushrif. I think it was the F5F. Dear me.

MiG29N from Kuantan. They very seldom come here, only the occasional fly-by to burn fuel over Butterworth (or to show of their 'diesel' smoke trail).

But today was different....

Landing-turn-taxi to base

M43-18

rmaf6.jpg

M43-18 (left) and M43-06 (right)

rmaf4.jpg

M43-18 pilot looking at me, so I just :D

rmaf5.jpg

M43-06

rmaf8.jpg

M43-06

rmaf7.jpg

Next will the host, FA18D

All photos taken using 'cap kambing' lens... ISO 400 (okay or not?)

Edited by Fitri Shukri

Fabulous Fitri,.. lovely Ah-Mig-oes thre... I didn't know RMAF used to owned Aermachi jets??? But the F-5 does bring back memories :drinks:

Edited by Ignatius

Wow... nice....

The F5F is awesome... did you get it on the ground as well?

and what MIG's doing in Butterworth?... LIMA is still 2 weeks away... :pardon:

BTW, why shoot at ISO400 in broad daylight?

Nice pictures, Fitri.

So the tender for grass cutting at Butterworth AF base still open? :rofl:

Nice pictures, Fitri.

So the tender for grass cutting at Butterworth AF base still open? :rofl:

Err, sorry Radzi, grass cutting contractor just started work with three grass cutting tractors. So the fence CCTVs were focused on them, rahter than me :good:

Nice indeed. The sound of fighter jets like the MiG-25 is very menacing. Hope to catch some action on 8 Dec at LGK.

whoa...whoa...whoaaa...maybe i shud buy u a drink la..fighter pictures pop up so rarely here..great pics there!loved the first squeaky clean M43-18 pic...fresh paint??and u got the pilot to look at you..why didnt lambai at him..wud have made a great pic if he 'lambai-ed' back.. :lol:

(still rolling around in excitement!) :clapping:

Edited by iwan

oh my....

Butterworth guys are warming up their Engines....

Luckily got Fitri to cover this section...Bravo bro.

btw, pls take care ah... enjoy spotting them B)

elok-elok abg fitri, nnti probos tangkap... :lol:

btw, juz wondering, where are u sitting..a small road to pekan darat ??

Very beautiful that Hawk is!!! You must have had a hard time listening to people talking to you each time u spot there Fitri hehehe... But at least we are having a great time enjoying your fresh pix there ... I AM LOVING IT ALL :drinks:

Very beautiful that Hawk is!!! You must have had a hard time listening to people talking to you each time u spot there Fitri hehehe... But at least we are having a great time enjoying your fresh pix there ... I AM LOVING IT ALL :drinks:

Thanks Ignatius. I spot alone. I try to stay clear from the casual spotters (many nowadays). Whenever I arrive at a location, I search for alternative 'escape' route first. You know why. I learn a lot from KUL spotters (with regards to avoiding MAB). But it still is hard to get rotation/touch down shots. You got to be 'in there' or have 1000mm lens!

Edited by Fitri Shukri

1000mm lens won't help either... their engines roar will shake your images blurred all the way :lol:

Any info abour the MB-339, do they belong to the RMAF??? We have those jets since when?? I never know about their existence in the RMAF fleet :pardon: :help:

since long ago la iggy, that one is MB-339A...at Butterworth, it is under same squadron with Hawks, 15th squadron (if u look hard enough, at the background shows 15 SQ...)

main purpose is for endorsement to fighter jets, pilot jump in from PC-7....

and guess what, RMAF has no pilots to fly those, got only 2 instructor for 8 or 9 MBs (if i'm not mistaken)..

in that picture, clearly we can se only one pilot, and rear seat is empty...

Edited by Mohd Idham

since long ago la iggy, that one is MB-339A...at Butterworth, it is under same squadron with Hawks, 15th squadron (if u look hard enough, at the background shows 15 SQ...)

main purpose is for endorsement to fighter jets, pilot jump in from PC-7....

and guess what, RMAF has no pilots to fly those, got only 2 instructor for 8 or 9 MBs (if i'm not mistaken)..

in that picture, clearly we can se only one pilot, and rear seat is empty...

whoa..and they are talking about purchasing more aermachis??so the 2 MiG-29NUB isnt the only reason to pilot shortages i guess?

whoa..and they are talking about purchasing more aermachis??so the 2 MiG-29NUB isnt the only reason to pilot shortages i guess?

According to a report in an UK aviation mag the TUDM ordered 8 new MB-339CM's in Nov 2006... Does this order still stand?

Thanks Fitri for the excellent photo's. Nice to see a bit more military hardware. I was fortunate to get a visit around Butterworth in Dec 2004 and was shown several F-5's that were earmarked for upgrade, presumably the one's in your photo's are the upgarded versions.

Looking forward to seeing the Su-30MKM's in Langkawi in Dec before flying down to Penang for Xmas.

Keith

According to a report in an UK aviation mag the TUDM ordered 8 new MB-339CM's in Nov 2006... Does this order still stand?

Thanks Fitri for the excellent photo's. Nice to see a bit more military hardware. I was fortunate to get a visit around Butterworth in Dec 2004 and was shown several F-5's that were earmarked for upgrade, presumably the one's in your photo's are the upgarded versions.

Looking forward to seeing the Su-30MKM's in Langkawi in Dec before flying down to Penang for Xmas.

Keith

Keith D (there is another keith T here at MW),

I think the new MB-339 are ex-Royal New Zealand Air Force now undergoing refurbishment by Aermacchi. Actually, I'm confused as to why RMAF have two but different fleet of fighter trainer, namely the Hawk 100 and the MB-339. RMAF bought 10 BAe Hawk 100 in the 1990s but some have crashed.

Dec 2004 to March 2005 was one of the most interesting time at PEN and WMKB (RMAF B'worth) in terms of traffic due to the Indian Ocean Tsunami relief effort. PEN and WMKB was the chosen cargo hub by military and civil airliner worldwide to ease the congestion at the smaller Banda Acheh airport.

Keith D (there is another keith T here at MW),

I think the new MB-339 are ex-Royal New Zealand Air Force now undergoing refurbishment by Aermacchi. Actually, I'm confused as to why RMAF have two but different fleet of fighter trainer, namely the Hawk 100 and the MB-339. RMAF bought 10 BAe Hawk 100 in the 1990s but some have crashed.

Dec 2004 to March 2005 was one of the most interesting time at PEN and WMKB (RMAF B'worth) in terms of traffic due to the Indian Ocean Tsunami relief effort. PEN and WMKB was the chosen cargo hub by military and civil airliner worldwide to ease the congestion at the smaller Banda Acheh airport.

Sir,the Aermacchis are not exRNZAF but brand new ones.The deal for the KIWI birds fell through last year.Current streaming,pilots coming off from Basic Flying (PLTB 1),those destined to fly Mig29s and F5s go to MB339A and those selected for Hawk 208,F/A18D and future SU30MKM fly the Hawk 108.When they bought the Hawk 108/208,it was in lieu of the projected Tornado MRCA,cost too high and small number so went for Hawks.Repalced the A4PTM at Nos 6 and 9 Sqn and formed a new training unit,sort of Operational Conversion Unit for Fighter or fast jet aircraft.So the RMAF disbanded PLTB 1 and formed instead No.15 Sqn.Lately the No.9 Sqn was amalgamated with No.6 Sqn.Likewise No.17 Sqn is the OCU for Mig29 and No.19 Sqn is the operational Sqn,heard latest No.19 Sqn also amalgamated with No.17 Sqn.

As for Helis,after Basic Flying with PLTB 1, they will go to PLTB 2 for rotary wing qualifications,and after that off to No.3 Sqn which is the Heli OCU.

For Fixed wing,after completion of Basic Flying ,pilots are posted to No.4/20 (C402B/C130H) Sqn or No.21(CN235) Sqn for conversion.After that they will either go to:

No.2 Sqn VIP (BD700,F28,BBJ,DA90),No.4/20 Sqn (C402B,C130H/-30H,KC130H),No.16 Sqn (B200T),No.21 Sqn (CN235)

Sir,the Aermacchis are not exRNZAF but brand new ones.The deal for the KIWI birds fell through last year.Current streaming,pilots coming off from Basic Flying (PLTB 1),those destined to fly Mig29s and F5s go to MB339A and those selected for Hawk 208,F/A18D and future SU30MKM fly the Hawk 108.When they bought the Hawk 108/208,it was in lieu of the projected Tornado MRCA,cost too high and small number so went for Hawks.Repalced the A4PTM at Nos 6 and 9 Sqn and formed a new training unit,sort of Operational Conversion Unit for Fighter or fast jet aircraft.So the RMAF disbanded PLTB 1 and formed instead No.15 Sqn.Lately the No.9 Sqn was amalgamated with No.6 Sqn.Likewise No.17 Sqn is the OCU for Mig29 and No.19 Sqn is the operational Sqn,heard latest No.19 Sqn also amalgamated with No.17 Sqn.

As for Helis,after Basic Flying with PLTB 1, they will go to PLTB 2 for rotary wing qualifications,and after that off to No.3 Sqn which is the Heli OCU.

For Fixed wing,after completion of Basic Flying ,pilots are posted to No.4/20 (C402B/C130H) Sqn or No.21(CN235) Sqn for conversion.After that they will either go to:

No.2 Sqn VIP (BD700,F28,BBJ,DA90),No.4/20 Sqn (C402B,C130H/-30H,KC130H),No.16 Sqn (B200T),No.21 Sqn (CN235)

Azmir,

Thank you for the correction of the MB339 and for the detailed explanation of RMAF.

Regarding the MB339 for MiG29 and F5 and Hawk100 for FA18D and SU30MKM, it seems that MB339 is for older generation of fighters and the Hawk 100 for fly-by-wire fighters. Wow, ain't that creating head ache for logistics. Not to mention limited weapon inter-operatability. I don't know what is in the mind of our defence planners, but I think it would be better if RMAF reduce the number of fighter fleet type to (1) frontline multirole fighter (SU30MKM), (2) secondary multirole fighter (MiG29 or FA18D or some new type such as Gripen which can use Russian weapons too), and (3) fighter trainer (Hawk 100).