MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Naim

AirAsia May Start Charging Passengers For Baggages

So no more free 15kg? 1225.gif

November 21, 2007 15:22 PM

AirAsia May Start Charging Passengers For Baggages

SEPANG, Nov 21 (Bernama) -- AirAsia Bhd may start charging passengers for baggages as one of the measures to cope with the high oil prices, its chief executive officer Datuk Tony Fernandes said.

"It is not fair to impose a fuel surcharge on someone not carrying a bag as opposed to someone carrying six bags.

"The heavier the plane the more fuel we burn," he told reporters after signing an engineering trainning programme with Aviation Australia here today.

Fernandes said this when asked to comment on the firm's fuel hedging in the face of increasing oil prices.

He said hedging was irrelevant because it was a short-term thing and oil prices were not real now because they were not based on fundamentals.

"I hedge a lot less now but we are more profitable than we were before.

"One must build a sustainable business whatever the cost of oil. Which means we need routes, which means we need Singapore," he said.

He said the carrier would also need to look at ways to lower its cost.

-- BERNAMA

http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news_lite.php?id=297554

As I always travel light on AK (with the exception of the last trip I took), I second this move -- on one condition -- pax without baggage to check-in would pay less fuel surcharge than the amount they do now.

If they start charging passengers for barggage fee..then a no frill airlines will no longer be that cheap. Bear in mind, in a number of years, the competetion on the low cost airline may be further itensify...by then we shall have the rights to choose...which airlines to fly when given frequencies and flexibility....To me it's a lost for AK in the long term, take for example Ryan Air and Easyjet. Sae situation will apply in the future.

Nothing to surprise about since their business & market share is getting bigger and better, after all they followed Ryanair model which basically charged for everything. Later they might charge for using the check in counter as well, just like what Ryanair did but free if u use Internet or Kiosk.

For those who complaints and pissed of, well just fly with full service carriers, full stop.

If they start charging passengers for barggage fee..then a no frill airlines will no longer be that cheap. Bear in mind, in a number of years, the competetion on the low cost airline may be further itensify...by then we shall have the rights to choose...which airlines to fly when given frequencies and flexibility....To me it's a lost for AK in the long term, take for example Ryan Air and Easyjet. Sae situation will apply in the future.

Not necessarily, the bottomline is, how much AK is willing to offer at the end. I would call this an unbundling of services, and just another way to lower down their promotional base fare.

I remember 5-6 years ago, AirAsia advertise the lowest bare fare for AK on the route of RM29.90. With that, plus RM15 (tax and surcharge at that time was rather low)=45. Now, the lowest bare fare on the same route amounts RM9.90, plus RM42 tax= RM52. Not much different even though world fuel price has increased significantly. So we'll see how much AK willing to lower down its bare fare in liew of the baggage fee.

No matter what, because a low cost carrier targets the price sensitive customers, lowest fares will be its main target to succeed. So the LCCs will try to lower down their fares to compete with other LCC. at the end, customers win.

For those who complaints and pissed of, well just fly with full service carriers, full stop.

This is not the way for a healthy discussion. It's like saying, if you do not like this country, just emigrate, full stop. So if you have nothing to contribute to this thread, then just lay off, and let others do it. Right?

To me it's a lost for AK in the long term, take for example Ryan Air and Easyjet.

But both Ryanair and Easyjet are making profits for charging passengers with check in baggage :huh:

There are so many hidden extras these days, I am not sure what's next - bring your own seatbelt? Installing a vending machine for tissue / toilet paper? 5% GST? haha.

The next thing we know, they might even charge for cabin luggage.

Fitri, in fact I wouldn't mind if they do, as long as they don't weigh me at the gate and charge for the extra pounds! I'd go insanely berserk! :rofl:

But both Ryanair and Easyjet are making profits for charging passengers with check in baggage :huh:

I'd like to see the $ per kg that AK is looking at. My bunch and I, we traveled lightly on our countless AK trips too, well below the 15kg/pax allowance. In several cases strangers wanted to use our allowances and I curtly refused. I said: sorry, but I don't know you and what you are carrying, and that's no good. Frankly I'd rather they charge 'heavy ppl' as per the Aussie's suggestion. :)

Btw, tomorrow morning another AK trip for us, to CNX. Back Sunday. :D

erm.. in my opinion..

two possible condition, they(AK) think they are strong present in market by passenger volume, so they will add additional charge to pax.

seconly, if they think they do not want MAS grab their pax, they wouldn't add extra charge.

this might be a way they want to use to reduce congested LCCT, they have fewer pax, but earn same as before extra charge.

i hope this will not happen as there are lots of people to and from east malaysia usually bring lots of baggage, some peninsular people love east malaysian products..

this might be a way they want to use to reduce congested LCCT, they have fewer pax, but earn same as before extra charge.

i think this is just too ridiculous. why expand so huge, place large orders of aircrafts, expand routes, increase $ and cut down on pax? the fuel price is killing everything, everywhere, everyone..

My most minimum suitcase weight plus few clothing for a 5 day / 4 night trip is about 9 kg, with 6 kg free allowance for whatever shopping I may do. On a recent trip to Labuan, I managed to be within the 15kg limit on AK, so I was spared any RM15 / kg excess rate charge between Peninsular and Sabah / Sarawak. Thank goodness. Had I bought anything extra bulky and heavy (like Bario rice I got on a side trip to Limbang), I had the idea of posting them via Pos Laju or normal parcel, which I suppose would be cheaper per kilo than AK.

If check-in baggage charge is imposed, I can do with minimum stuff in a small carry-on bag. As long as AK offers fares the competition can even get close, I'm happy enough.

Fitri, in fact I wouldn't mind if they do, as long as they don't weigh me at the gate and charge for the extra pounds! I'd go insanely berserk! :rofl:

Don't worry, they'll find a way to do that soon.

Fare = 9.99.... then add on tax, fuel surcharge, admin fee, baggage fee, hand luggage fee, express boarding fee, security fee, seat rental, passanger weight charge, inflight food and beverage, window seat fee, crew tips......

Don't worry, they'll find a way to do that soon.

Fare = 9.99.... then add on tax, fuel surcharge, admin fee, baggage fee, hand luggage fee, express boarding fee, security fee, seat rental, passanger weight charge, inflight food and beverage, window seat fee, crew tips......

don't worry, lets fly with FY.... after this i will use FY to JHB...

There is a solution to this problem. In Indonesia, where there are around 20 LCCs competing each other, prices are very low and most carriers will offer something extra (although tiny) to win passengers.

Take Batavia Air (7P) for example, they give free 25 kg of baggage allowance and free snackbox to each passengers onboard their flights. This is to ensure passengers choose them over the likes of Sriwijaya Air, Adam Air, Mandala Airlines and Lion Air.

So, let's urge, no, let's force our government to liberalise our air travel market and allow more LCC (or perhaps another legacy carrier) to compete. Malaysia is a land full of monopolies!

Malaysia is a land full of monopolies!

.....and cartels.

FY and MH just as guilty:

FY:

Excess baggage per kilo = RM15

Golf Set = RM50

Callcentre fee = RM5

MH:

Within Peninsular & East Malaysia sectors per kilo = RM5

Between Peninsular & East malaysia sectors per kilo = RM8

MH used to have excess baggage charges based on percentage of ticket fare. Now flat rate all the way!

what i heard was if this was to put into play, you would not need to pay for fuel surcharge. pay for the amount of baggage you carry only. if you ask me, i honestly think it's a good idea.

As if everybody are paying for the RM 9.90 ticket,some people are paying up to RM 350.00 if they bought the "late" ticket for AK,like I did a few years back,on KUL-BKI sector,which is at that time,if I pay another RM50,I can get the Night Tourist Economy class ticket on MH,but the night flight was full.So stop all these "you get what you pay for" nonsense..

It's just ridiculous of what AK is doing...They moan about monopoly of MAS a few years back,and now,they're the only LCC in the country,and they're using that to their advantage....Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that some kind of monopoly politics???

what i heard was if this was to put into play, you would not need to pay for fuel surcharge. pay for the amount of baggage you carry only. if you ask me, i honestly think it's a good idea.

I think that's fair. Do update us any new developments. I hope AK will spare carry-on bags (and ladies' handbags!), for that will be a bit too much....

As if everybody are paying for the RM 9.90 ticket,some people are paying up to RM 350.00 if they bought the "late" ticket for AK,like I did a few years back,on KUL-BKI sector,which is at that time,if I pay another RM50,I can get the Night Tourist Economy class ticket on MH,but the night flight was full.So stop all these "you get what you pay for" nonsense..

It's just ridiculous of what AK is doing...They moan about monopoly of MAS a few years back,and now,they're the only LCC in the country,and they're using that to their advantage....Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that some kind of monopoly politics???

Sapa suruh hang pi beli tiket lambat sangat dah tau tiket AK naik last minit? "Why do you buy your tickets when you know they price will increase at the last minute?"

:pardon:

That's how LCC works, buy late, get the price equivalence of a full frill airline.

:lol:

Sign in to follow this