MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Nabiel Haniff

Handphone Onboard

Hello!

Here,i am going to ask about using a handphone onboard.

Some phone,such as n73 it is have a offline mode or some phone called flight mode.

When u use offline mode,we still can use phone to plays games,songs and taking a pictures.

Actually,in a flight,we can use offline mode/flight mode or not?

I confuse whether it can use or not.

Because i think,the radio freq will turn off when used flight mode.

so,no more radio freq will disturb a aircraft system.

is it?

thanks..

-anep-

i think should be okay to use in offline mode or airplane mode or flight mode as it is design for use in aeroplane. If the crew ask you then u just have to tell him or her that it is in offline mode lo!! if he or she is out of date then no choice lo and if they still want you to switch off then is better u switch off.

however there is news saying that we can use hp onboard in MAS n AirAsia next year lo!!

i think should be okay to use in offline mode or airplane mode or flight mode as it is design for use in aeroplane. If the crew ask you then u just have to tell him or her that it is in offline mode lo!! if he or she is out of date then no choice lo and if they still want you to switch off then is better u switch off.

however there is news saying that we can use hp onboard in MAS n AirAsia next year lo!!

hahaha.....

ok2..

thanks...

neway,using hp in MAS n Airasia for what?

how about phone freq?

First of all, I think FA will ask to to turn off your hp regardless of flight-mode or anything...

Btw, in contrary to the popular beliefs, cell phone doesn't interfere with the aircraft system.. Cellphones these days use GSM 900/1800/1900.. The frequency i believe is 900Mhz, 1800Mhz and 1900 Mhz respectively. And airplane avionics use freq somewhere around 100 something Mhz, so it's not in the same frequency..

There's 2 categories of Portable Electronic Device (PED)

Group A - Transmitting devices(e.g handphone)

The usage of this devices are strictly prohibited in the aircraft through any phase of flight.

Group B - Non Transmitting devices(e.g CD player)

Can be used except during Take off, approach and landing also emergencies.

However, electronic wristwatches and cameras can be used during all phases of flight.

And in flight mode your handphone which is a transmitting devices now switches off the radio and becomes a non-transmitting device and as such can be used.

MH required that ALL electronic devices whether transmitting or non-transmitting devices to be switched off during take-off sand landings.

During cruise, only non-transmitting devices (including handphones in flight mode) are allowed.

Transmitting devices are not allowed in all flight phases.

Thanks for your reply......

Actually,using a camera to record a video when landing and take off is prohibited or not?

Edited by Nabiel Haniff

I always take pictures during landing/take off....and some of our pilots here also take pictures during landing..inside cockpit.. :rolleyes:

But if there is any transmitting devices going, then will affect their system.

But electronic devices like camera and video doesn't have transmitting devices, so ok la. Unless the camera has bluetooth or infrared...

But if there is any transmitting devices going, then will affect their system.

But electronic devices like camera and video doesn't have transmitting devices, so ok la. Unless the camera has bluetooth or infrared...

I just checked in the Safety manual, Camera can be used at any phase. But taking pictures or video, hmmm???

Edited by Khaled

Taking photo also can... Don't transmit anything by using bluetooth or infrared devices. The airplane will malfunction if the frequency of other electronic devices and the airplane is the same.

Then this will create resonance...

Correct me if I am Wrong. Thanks!!!

It is a myth that handphone is effecting the aircraft navigation or control system. Handphone is banned in flight is to avoid overloading and confuse telecom radio base station.

Handphone will be allowed to use in flight after pico-cell is installed in the aircraft i.e. airline can make profit from call to and from handphone in flight.

:drinks:

can someone here confirm the myth of switching on your handphone when take off, in the air and landing? just try la, just like what MythBuster do on Astro. if anything happen, then all of us would know what to do next time around. don't just base on theory, go do the practical instead, then we'll know whether the myth will be busted or not. B)

ohh..don't just try with 1 hp, try with 4-8 hp switch on simultaneously. =@

Edited by Victor A.

Doesn't matter whether it's a myth or not. Have you ever listen to radio while having your handphone nearby? That noisy interference sound (tet...tet..tet...) can sometimes be heard on the radio. It's very irritating. Until they have something to shield that, just leave your handphone to off. Photographer on board, keep on clicking ok! :yahoo:

I switched my phone to flight mode before but was advised by the crew to turn in off. I has seen it on another trip whereby the passenger tried to show off his new phone on board by palying the music loud but was asked to switch it off too :rolleyes:

The answer to your question is NO.

All electronic devices (including cameras) must be switched off during take-off and landings on MH.

alamak...i just recorded the touchdown of my firefly flight dat day..was sitting right beside the landing gear.. :pardon:

British Airways to relax rules on electronic devices

British Airways is to become the first European airline to let passengers switch on their mobile phones and other devices just after landing.

From 1 July, once an aircraft has got off the runway people can power up their electronics, rather than having to wait until it has stopped.

The Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) has said it is satisfied there are no safety implications.

Airlines from other countries have allowed similar rules for some time.

Passengers have generally been forbidden from using their electronic devices on planes owing to fears of interference, especially when taking off and landing.

BA's new rules will allow mobiles to be switched on and used as soon as the aircraft is off the runway.

"Customers will no longer have the frustration of having to wait until their plane has arrived at the terminal building before being able to use their mobile phones and other handheld electronic devices," said Ian Pringle, BA flight training manager.

"Now they'll have that extra time to phone ahead for that important business meeting, check their emails, or make sure someone is there to meet them at the airport."

The rules will not affect restrictions during take-off, however, where devices will still have to be switched off until the plane reaches 10,000ft (3,050m).
Minimal interference

The change, which will apply to BA flights landing anywhere in the world, is in response to feedback from customers, the airline said.

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), the equivalent of the CAA in the United States, has also been looking at allowing wider use of personal electronics on flights.

A draft proposal published last week said existing rules, first drawn up in 1966, had become "untenable" in an age of modern technology and communication.

Several studies later, the FAA has agreed to change guidelines, but is still debating to what degree.

The FAA agreed with experts that advances in technology, both in aviation and consumer electronics, mean any threat of interference is either minimal or non-existent.

But there is greater concern about take-off and landing, with authorities keen both to ensure aircraft equipment is not interfered with and that passengers are not overly distracted at "critical" moments.

It is likely that pressure on aviation authorities worldwide to relax rules has been driven by a major revenue opportunity for airlines.

Technology exists, and is in limited use, for passengers to use wi-fi internet and to make calls at high altitude, usually at premium rates.

Any change in policy would be welcome news for Alec Baldwin, the actor. In December 2011, he was kicked off an American Airlines flight before take-off after refusing to stop playing the popular Scrabble-like game Words With Friends.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23063479

Actually there's no harm switching on camera in flight. Camera dont transmit and radiowave that can interfere with the aircraft system. It's just that the airlines dont want you to record their crews mistake for example while doing announcement, pilot and cabin crew suddenly hiccup or other thing. I remembered there's a video recorded in airasia cabin where the pilot do the announcement and then he hiccup suddenly. Hence that's the reason sometiimes the FA dont allow you take picture.

Actually there's no harm switching on camera in flight. Camera dont transmit and radiowave that can interfere with the aircraft system. It's just that the airlines dont want you to record their crews mistake for example while doing announcement, pilot and cabin crew suddenly hiccup or other thing. I remembered there's a video recorded in airasia cabin where the pilot do the announcement and then he hiccup suddenly. Hence that's the reason sometiimes the FA dont allow you take picture.

that's just silly.

Sign in to follow this