MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
affendi osman

BA returns to KUL

BAOPS777 From United Kingdom, joined Jun 2007, 116 posts, RR: 0

Posted Fri Nov 16 2007 07:10:59 your local time (3 hours 58 minutes 11 secs ago) and read 1007 times:

Hi all just attended shadowing day at waterside. Interesting was the new routes BA are doing feasibility studies on at present for start in 2009/2010. They are:

LHR-ICN Starting with 3-4 x weekly and looking towards daily operation. Due to this becoming an emerging market.

LHR-KUL To start with operating via SIN using current BA011/BA012 flight daily. This is due to improvement in Malaysia's economy.

gud news huh?

Very noice! I hope they've got 5th freedom for SIN-KUL-SIN; would be such a great tier point run like BAH-DOH-BAH or AUH-MCT-AUH. :D

As BA is usually the benchmark for commencing/ending routes I'm hoping that this will act as a catalyst for partners like QF.

Anyway, according to Galley fm - they are also looking at the following:

- LHR-LAS-LHR

- LHR-MLE-LHR

Edited by Keith T

If 5th freedom (KUL-SIN) is available then QF will be able to use BA service as the shutter for their Australian service via Sin & MH will be out of the picture (Provided the timing is right).

Hi,

This sounds good! Keith looks like i will be using OW if BA goes to KUL :) By the way will this be LHR-SIN-KUL on BA or is it direct LHR-KUL?

Cheers,

K.

According to the a.net post it's BA11/12 B744 LHR-SIN-KUL vv.

I'm thinking of the possibility of cheap TP runs if the SIN-KUL-SIN tag ons in F are priced similarly to SQ/MH F. I've always wanted to do the Middle Eastern ones but it's such a hassle to actually go there, so SIN-KUL-SIN will be much better. In F it'd be 60 SCs one way for accruing to QFF, or 180 TPs accruing to BAEC. So approximately 25 flights for QFF Platinum, or 6 flights for BAEC Euro Cheat Gold/11 flights to BAEC 'real' Gold. Time to hunt for an Euro (ie outside UK/Ireland) address... Pieter?? :D

Currently BA11 gets into SIN at 1755, and leaves as BA12 at 2255. Adequate time to do a SIN-KUL-SIN tag on I should think, and definitely connects well to/from QF/BA services to LHR/FRA and Australia.

Edited by Keith T

Do BA have fifth freedom between SIN and KUL?

Good news for 1World travellers I suppose.

Hoping they would, as it'd be a great shuttle to connect to the other QF/BA flights.

The UK and Singapore have an open skies deal. I'm thinking that Malaysia will be crazy if they're so keen to get BA to re-start KUL but yet place restrictions on traffic rights as it defeats the whole purpose of operating tag-ons.

Edited by Keith T

I wonder if they would once again have KUL based cabin crew as they did last time. It would be good to have another choice for flights to LHR.

SIN is BA hub, BA will have a new set of crews for SIN/KUL/SIN.

Without fifth freedom rights, BA service on SIN/KUL may not last long.

:drinks:

Edited by KK Lee

SIN is BA hub, BA will have a new set of crews for SIN/KUL/SIN.

Without fifth freedom rights, BA service on SIN/KUL may not last long.

:drinks:

I don't think they'd train and base an entirely new set of crew in SIN or KUL just to work the tag on. I could be wrong, but I think having the tag ons would just mean that the LHR-SIN-LHR crew spend an additional day in SIN and work on the tag on flights as a day trip. They do already have a crew base in SIN though, who currently work on both SIN-LHR and SIN-SYD (2 SIN-based crew members per flight).

Edited by Keith T

I believe BA has grandfather 5th freedom rights on SIN-KUL vv. Just like QF had.

Should be, if not Queen can always make a request to our Agung for immediate approval :drinks: (just joking).

Am on SIN-LHR BA12 this coming Jan.

Hmm I wonder how often they recycle flight numbers.

But I suppose it's the same flight in a way, just not continuing to PER. BA11/12 were put on after BA17/18 to MEL via SIN were terminated. :(

Edited by Keith T

Good..

another choice to transfer pax if were full/'someone' dont wanna accept shuttle paxs hehe :p

great news indeed affendi. I was always wondering when they would add on KUL to their terminator LHR-SIN flights.

hope they don't pull out at the last minute.

Why 'terminator'? I thought the correct term is 'ghost flight'?

Terminator means turnaroudn service.

"Ghost flight" means flying without pax due to lack of crew. Dont confuse the two.

Good news for KUL, but then again it is yet to be seen officially, so lets wait and see.

Besides, its nice for spotting and all...but not for pax travelling from LHR to KUL ot vv.

The stop over in SIN is very significant in terms of timing so given a choice, I may not

travel on that route unless they offer really cheap fares on it. They should just have faith

in KUL and do a direct daily B777 or a 5x B744.

Lets see !!