MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Azuddin

Etihad A340-600 accident

SUBJECT: A340-600 - MSN 856 - ACCIDENT IN PRODUCTION OUR REF.: F-WWCJ AIT 2 DATED 20th OF NOVEMBER 2007 PREVIOUS REF: F-WWCJ AIT 1 DATED 16th OF NOVEMBER 2007

THIS AIT IS AN UPDATE OF PREVIOUS AIT N°1 CONCERNING THE A340-600 PRODUCTION AIRCRAFT MSN 856 INVOLVED IN AN ACCIDENT IN AIRBUS PRODUCTION FACILITIES IN TOULOUSE ON THE 15TH NOVEMBER 2007 AT 17:00 LOCAL TIME.

THE FOLLOWING IS THE SEQUENCE OF EVENTS ACCORDING TO THE RECORDERS, WHICH HAS BEEN APPROVED FOR RELEASE BY THE FRENCH INVESTIGATION AUTHORITIES (BEA).

FOR ABOUT 3 MINUTES BEFORE THE END OF THE EVENT, ALL FOUR ENGINES EPR WAS BETWEEN 1.24 AND 1.26 WITH PARKING BRAKE ON AND WITHOUT GROUND CHOCKS.

THE ALTERNATE BRAKE PRESSURE WAS NORMAL. (WITH PARKING BRAKE ON, BRAKE PRESSURE IS SUPPLIED BY ALTERNATE).

13 SECONDS BEFORE THE IMPACT THE AIRCRAFT STARTED TO MOVE. WITHIN 1 OR 2 SECONDS THE CREW APPLIED BRAKE PEDAL INPUTS AND SELECTED PARKING BRAKE OFF. THESE ACTIONS LED THE NORMAL BRAKE PRESSURE TO INCREASE TO ITS NORMAL VALUE.

2 SECONDS PRIOR BEFORE THE IMPACT, ALL 4 ENGINE THRUST LEVERS WERE SELECTED TO IDLE.

THE AIRCRAFT IMPACTED THE CONTAINMENT WALL AT A GROUND SPEED OF 30 KTS.

THERE IS NO EVIDENCE OF ANY AIRCRAFT SYSTEM OR ENGINE MALFUNCTION.

AIRBUS REMINDS ALL OPERATORS TO STRICTLY ADHERE TO AMM PROCEDURES WHEN PERFORMING ENGINE GROUND RUNS

ENGINE GROUND RUNS AT HIGH POWER ARE NORMALLY CONDUCTED ON A SINGLE ENGINE WITH THE ENGINE IN THE SAME POSITION ON THE OPPOSITE WING OPERATED AT A LIMITED THRUST SETTING TO AVOID DAMAGE TO THE AIFRAME

WHEEL CHOCKS ARE TO BE INSTALLED THROUGHOUT THE TEST.

YANNICK MALINGE

VICE PRESIDENT FLIGHT SAFETY

AIRBUS

So... human error...

So, for 11 seconds, aircraft was moving towards the wall and nobody closes the thrust levers?

No wheel chocks, and such a big aircraft, i think they don't even know that aircraft is moving...human error...

still couldnt really make out the picture linked by Georg. are we looking up or down? i can see the cockpit windows and the broken part just behind it. and the bug bulking thingy behind it is what? where's the rest of the fuselage? anyone with more pictures?...

Want to see more?

Here you go

PICT0006.jpg

PICT0007.jpg

PICT0011.jpg

PICT0003.jpg

PICT0012.jpg

PICT0001.jpg

PICT0002.jpg

Got them in my e-mail

Azuddin

Now THOSE make sense.... :)

what a mess....

Bravo Azu!!!..... thanks a lot :good:

Not a problem, actually more credit should go to my friend who forward that e-mail to me last night.

Azuddin

had a hard time figuring out what was going on until i saw that pic..didnt expect the damage to be so severe...the pilot must have gotten the shock of his life looking at the ground up close like that..

had a hard time figuring out what was going on until i saw that pic..didnt expect the damage to be so severe...the pilot must have gotten the shock of his life looking at the ground up close like that..

I don't think there were any pilot on board. Remember they were doing engine ground run, the stuff for engineers.

I'm wondering what will happen to the engineers. Will they get the boot from Airbus...? and perhas later hired by Boeng as heroes hehehe...<----just kidding

30 knots? makes me wonder if its at full t/off speed or something....scary.

I was surprised to see a friend posted this.. because I am not sure if he's into aviation, so I can't guarantee if the info is correct. The photos he put up were the same as those Azuddin posted here. Anyone can verify that the below a reliable source of description of the incident?

"...Brand spanking new right out of the hanger, without a single hour of air time. Enter the Arab flight crew. Nine employees of the Arab airline were in the aircraft, but not one employee from French Airbus was present. The Arabs taxied out to the run-up area. Then they took all four engines to takeoff power with virtually an empty aircraft. This was their first mistake as they obviously didn't read the run-up manuals. They had no clue just how light an empty air bus really is. No chocks were set, not that it would have mattered at that power setting. The brakes will not hold it back at full power anyway. As it turns out, the takeoff warning horn was blaring away in the cockpit because they had all 4 engines at full power. The aircraft computers thought they were trying to takeoff but it had not been configured properly (flaps/slats, etc,etc). Then one of these brain surgeons decided to pull the 'Ground Sense' circuit breaker to silence the alarms. This fools the aircraft into thinking it is in the air.

That was the last mistake. As soon as they did that, the computers automaticlly released all the brakes and set the aircraft rocketing forward.

They had no idea that this is a Safety feature so that pilots can't land with the brakes on. There was no time to stop and no one smart enough to throttle back the engines from the max power setting. So the rest is as you see it below."

They refer to the flight crew as "The Arabs"...why just instead use "Etihad flight crews"...the use of latter term is more professional...

They refer to the flight crew as "The Arabs"...why just instead use "Etihad flight crews"...the use of latter term is more professional...

As if the FRENCH havent made any guffaws in the aviation industry... *cough cough* A330 test flight *cough cough* A380 delay.

that sucks for all those spotters around the world waiting for the Etihad A346 to come to their airport because Ethiad was going to plan to send them around the world :sorry:

hmmm...eerrrrr....but there were no flight crews on board... :blink:

As if the FRENCH havent made any guffaws in the aviation industry... *cough cough* A330 test flight *cough cough* A380 delay.

OT: but it seems that the French seem keen on building aviations pahllic symbols. Look Boeing hahaha.. Mine is LONGER than yours A346, look at mine again Boeing it's also LARGER than yours A388. Airbus needs to know that it's not the equipment that matters it's how it performs, delays are a big put off for their partners.

Sign in to follow this