MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Robin

MAS ready to spend RM30 bln on new fleet

Hello people I feel that MAS can be a Premier Value Airline with a fleet renewal and new products and operating on a low cost and it can maintain its 5 star status, what does everybody else think??

5 star service at LCC cost is only possible provide the company is very lean. MH is not known to be lean or can be lean for various ‘national interest’.

Believe MH cabin service is modelling after airlines in the US i.e. minimum service level. Believe 5 star airline is no longer appropriate for MH.

With the gomen support and directive, MH can renew their fleets with either minimum or maximum financial burden.

:drinks:

MH has done this kind of thing several times before, after a while, quiet.... Remember the 60 738's order 2 years ago, that one was a close call!

$30bil spend will take 60 years to pay back, base on profit making $500mil/year.

Sparkling example of airline management expertise.

Pay aircraft based on profit made.....

Wow. lots to learn from many smart people here. :rofl: The real smart ones are busy spotting and posting great pics.

Hey guys, I'm a new member in this forum. I'm a student currently pursuing an aerospace engineering degree. I am due to start next February.

There are many interesting issues that I have read, and i wish to make a few comments.

First of all, the 400 planes ordered by MAS's competitors are the total amount of planes ordered by several airlines. The correct ratio is :

400 planes : MAS's competitors (i.e 30 orders by CX, 50 orders by SQ and 20 orders by TG)

NOT

400 planes : 1 airline (i.e 400 orders by CX, 400 orders by SQ, 400 orders by TG).

The total number of aircraft ordered by MAS's fierce rivals for the year of 2008 come to a total of 400 odd.

When regional competitors like SQ and CX made moves to enhance their fleet by introducing newer aircraft such as the B777-300ER series, MAS didnt see the need to follow their footsteps because they wouldn't benefit from such a move. Up till now, many complain that MAS are losing out to their competitors because they are slower in terms of upgrading their fleet consistently. As of December 2007, this is what the current MAS fleet looks like:

37 Boeing 737-400

3 Airbus A330-200

11 Airbus A330-300

17 Boeing 777-200ER

11 Boeing 747-400

The B737-400 might not be all that new and impressive when we compare it to the A321 series or the 737-800/900ER. However, these aircraft have been the workhorses of MAS. Majority of the short hops around the country and region in the 734s are often full with passengers and very profitable.

You dont need things like world-class IFE for these routes because flights on board the 734 are usually short-haul ( at most, I would say, 3 hours ).

Now let us look at comments made by other parties.

They claim that MAS is losing out because until now, they have not made a major move to upgrade their current fleet. Just because other airlines go and order up to 40 A380's or 50 B777's doesnt mean MAS should do the same. In order to refurbish an entire fleet, ALOT of analyzing has to be done. From the efficiency of aircraft for desired routes, to the forecasting of annual profits, the team under Idris Jala are probably cracking their heads right now. MAS's orders for 6 Airbus A380-800 was spurred after competitors like Cathay Pacific, Singapore Airlines and Thai Airways International announced their orders.

To be honest, these 6 aircraft aren't even needed. Many claim that these "super-jumbos" would be used for the AMS, LHR, SYD or even LAX route. Why would they need the A380's when these routes are already WELL-covered by MAS's strong fleet of B744's? Only one reason. MAS was desperate to keep up with their competitors. After Idris Jala took over at MAS, the company has seen a major turn-around. Mr.Idris literally threw the entire company a life-line. And now, once again, MAS are bringing in the profits, just like they used to back then. They are steadying their financial status, slowly, but surely.

Recently, MAS announced that they are awaiting proposals from Boeing and Airbus for up to 55 narrow-bodied aircraft to replace their 734's. The 2 options are the A321 or 737-800/900ER.

They are also planning to make a purchase for up to 50 wide-bodied aircraft for their long-haul service. Their options include new generation aircraft like the Boeing 747-800 Intercontinental, the Boeing 787 Dreamliner, or the Airbus A350 Series. However I believe it is safe to say that Boeing have the upper-hand, for both the categories. MAS and Boeing have had great business relationships over the past, and I strongly feel that this will continue to blossom for many years to come. NOW is the right time for MAS to replace its fleet. They couldn't do so back then due to various financial problems.

So, what to expect from MAS in the next few years?

Keep your eyes WIDE open guys. You'll see them go beyond expectations!

I am open to comments and questions. All are welcome to reply to this thread. I look forward to hearing from everyone else on malaysianwings.

Edited by Wilson Kook

This is most probably just a rumour, but the again ...

A320 or A321 in Sept 2008, probably leased for starters.

Hmm... would be interesting to fly on a MH's Airbus narrowbody, as it is not a norm.

About the topic, still no announcement of the new fleet! Come on la, by the time MH takes delivery of its probably B787 or A350, those variants are about to obsolete as both Boeing and Airbus have build a new replacement model. By then, SQ and EK might have already signed multiple orders for the replacement of their B787 or A350. :angry:

Very the slow in the world decision making. Even the pathetic Garuda have an order of B787 and B738. Buat malu je.

Hey guys, I'm a new member in this forum. I'm a student currently pursuing an aerospace engineering degree. I am due to start next February.

There are many interesting issues that I have read, and i wish to make a few comments.

First of all, the 400 planes ordered by MAS's competitors are the total amount of planes ordered by several airlines. The correct ratio is :

400 planes : MAS's competitors (i.e 30 orders by CX, 50 orders by SQ and 20 orders by TG)

NOT

400 planes : 1 airline (i.e 400 orders by CX, 400 orders by SQ, 400 orders by TG).

The total number of aircraft ordered by MAS's fierce rivals for the year of 2008 come to a total of 400 odd.

When regional competitors like SQ and CX made moves to enhance their fleet by introducing newer aircraft such as the B777-300ER series, MAS didnt see the need to follow their footsteps because they wouldn't benefit from such a move. Up till now, many complain that MAS are losing out to their competitors because they are slower in terms of upgrading their fleet consistently. As of December 2007, this is what the current MAS fleet looks like:

37 Boeing 737-400

3 Airbus A330-200

11 Airbus A330-300

17 Boeing 777-200ER

11 Boeing 747-400

The B737-400 might not be all that new and impressive when we compare it to the A321 series or the 737-800/900ER. However, these aircraft have been the workhorses of MAS. Majority of the short hops around the country and region in the 734s are often full with passengers and very profitable.

You dont need things like world-class IFE for these routes because flights on board the 734 are usually short-haul ( at most, I would say, 3 hours ).

Now let us look at comments made by other parties.

They claim that MAS is losing out because until now, they have not made a major move to upgrade their current fleet. Just because other airlines go and order up to 40 A380's or 50 B777's doesnt mean MAS should do the same. In order to refurbish an entire fleet, ALOT of analyzing has to be done. From the efficiency of aircraft for desired routes, to the forecasting of annual profits, the team under Idris Jala are probably cracking their heads right now. MAS's orders for 6 Airbus A380-800 was spurred after competitors like Cathay Pacific, Singapore Airlines and Thai Airways International announced their orders.

To be honest, these 6 aircraft aren't even needed. Many claim that these "super-jumbos" would be used for the AMS, LHR, SYD or even LAX route. Why would they need the A380's when these routes are already WELL-covered by MAS's strong fleet of B744's? Only one reason. MAS was desperate to keep up with their competitors. After Idris Jala took over at MAS, the company has seen a major turn-around. Mr.Idris literally threw the entire company a life-line. And now, once again, MAS are bringing in the profits, just like they used to back then. They are steadying their financial status, slowly, but surely.

Recently, MAS announced that they are awaiting proposals from Boeing and Airbus for up to 55 narrow-bodied aircraft to replace their 734's. The 2 options are the A321 or 737-800/900ER.

They are also planning to make a purchase for up to 50 wide-bodied aircraft for their long-haul service. Their options include new generation aircraft like the Boeing 747-800 Intercontinental, the Boeing 787 Dreamliner, or the Airbus A350 Series. However I believe it is safe to say that Boeing have the upper-hand, for both the categories. MAS and Boeing have had great business relationships over the past, and I strongly feel that this will continue to blossom for many years to come. NOW is the right time for MAS to replace its fleet. They couldn't do so back then due to various financial problems.

So, what to expect from MAS in the next few years?

Keep your eyes WIDE open guys. You'll see them go beyond expectations!

I am open to comments and questions. All are welcome to reply to this thread. I look forward to hearing from everyone else on malaysianwings.

If you are a Malaysian, suggest you to keep your career option open. If you have high hope for MH, you will quite certain to end up utterly disappointed at the end.

cud not agree more. as far as MH is concern, don't pin too high a hope for the airline to fly sky high, its going to be a very rough fall. Remember in the 90s where MH came up with an advertising campaing in the media that projected itself as a advanced technology airliner with futuristic airport (mothership) shape as the wau logo - very impressive but now, what happen? down in the pitts. Fully agreed that even the pathetic GA has ordered the 787 and so far, no news from MH. Well, I guess their 737-400 still good for another ..... say, 10 years!! :blink: On the brighter note, they have just placed the order for the ATF for firefly and maswings.... do that count??

DavidC

Guest Michael

MAS is bound to get stronger over time. I see now e ticketing is the standard for all tickets here in Aus.

This is the reason why LIMA is just another regional show. Boeing and Airbus couldn't be bothered to send any static aircraft for display. Look at Dubai airshow - because of EK and EY's large orders - this has spurred other airlines to make their orders signed at the same time.

IF only Malaysian companies can work together rather than against each other ...

if MH, AK, etc etc can organise themselves and place their orders during LIMA - that would probably increase the standing of LIMA internationally. RM13 billion orders during LIMA is NOTHING compared to Dubai's USD 49 billion for airbus alone!

Agree with the slow decision making.GA have 738s and even Lion Air have 739ER to replace the old MDs....

This shows there's nothing to be proud of our national carrier,old planes,low quality services and dining....Sorry...

MH is slow in making decision because everybody is busy trying to cut cost. Nobody wants to be the one who'll make decision to spend money in case it will affect their performance index even if the decision is vital for the long run. It's all short term thinking now.

This is the reason why LIMA is just another regional show. Boeing and Airbus couldn't be bothered to send any static aircraft for display. Look at Dubai airshow - because of EK and EY's large orders - this has spurred other airlines to make their orders signed at the same time.

IF only Malaysian companies can work together rather than against each other ...

if MH, AK, etc etc can organise themselves and place their orders during LIMA - that would probably increase the standing of LIMA internationally. RM13 billion orders during LIMA is NOTHING compared to Dubai's USD 49 billion for airbus alone!

Oh my god! That is so true. I could not believe finally someone noticed it.

LIMA is actually a good platform for Malaysia to have something like the Paris or Dubai Air Shows for the South East Asia level. If only those who responsible can stage and organise something so powerful and attractive that can pull airlines all over the Asia Pacific region to announce their orders in LIMA.

But thanks to personal rather than national interest, even after 14 years since its instalment, LIMA is still like a funfare to me. Even AirAsia choosed the Paris Air Show to announce their 15 A333s and engines order. It is such a shame because so many related efforts have been done like the creation of IMT-GT area (which Langkawi situated right inside it) but the network which was established could not be channelled to persuade at least the Indonesian or Thai airlines to participate (and make/announce orders) in LIMA.

But always look on the bright side of it. At least LIMA brought joys to MalaysianWingers. They can see the free acrobatic shows, snapping photographs of aircrafts and people and women and then say something like *shiok* and *wakakaka* when complimenting on each other photographs. :)

haiyaaaaaaaa....................................................................

...................................................... :cray: :cray:

If you are a Malaysian, suggest you to keep your career option open. If you have high hope for MH, you will quite certain to end up utterly disappointed at the end.

Yeah. I'm looking at possible jobs either at Qantas or Singapore Airlines. Hopefully, I graduate when the time is right for aerospace engineers :clapping:

MAS is not my top priority. But I wouldn't turn my back on them 100%. I'll see how things go for MAS in the many years to come.

of course - the military aspect of it was awesome. the photography was simply superb!

Malaysianwings makes the best of what is out there!

But really - 14 years with no progress is no laughing matter. the powers that be should take notice and sort it out.

as azizul said - its more of a carnival.

Guest Michael

When the new Business Transformation Plan is released, I think that is when we will hear about the fleet renewal actually.

MAS will be revealing the next phase for their business turnaround plan tomorrow. Look out for that article in the STAR newspaper. Should be under the business section. Or you can check the STAR website. That's where I got my facts from :clapping:

Sign in to follow this