MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Seng Lim

Call for airlines to charge passenger 'fat tax'

Found a pretty interesting article from Australia news.com

Call for airlines to charge passenger 'fat tax'

OBESE airline passengers should be forced to pay a "fat tax" to cover the cost of transporting their excess weight, according to a controversial proposal by health experts.

Calls for the tax - which would be determined per extra kilo, in the same way as excess baggage - come as obesity rates and fuel prices surge to new highs in Australia.

But the radical proposal has also attracted a backlash from those who argue it discriminates against people with weight problems.

Passengers are routinely charged hundreds of dollars for excess baggage and sports equipment, but their own weight is not measured.

Dr John Tickell, an Australian expert in nutrition and weight-control, believes obese passengers should be liable for a penalty.

"If you are going to charge for excess baggage, then charge fat people for excess weight," he told The Sunday Telegraph.

"Airlines are buying fuel, and if you are carrying a heavy weight on a plane you have to pay more for it.

"But, instead, the rest of the public is paying for it. It's got to be restricted."

Budget airline Jetstar has fitted extra-wide seats to cater for the expanding size of customers, who have the option of buying two seats, or upgrading, if the space is too small.

"Flight attendants in the US have to go down the aisle handing extension seatbelts out like headphones," Dr Tickell added.

"And it's starting to happen here, too."

Dr Tickell told of being charged $100 to check-in golf clubs on a flight, despite an obese passenger outweighing him and his golf clubs.

Airlines are being forced to revise their projected passenger loads to calculate extra fuel needs.

The Civil Aviation Safety Authority bans obese people from sitting in emergency exit rows on flights, as they could block other passengers from evacuating in an emergency.

But Obesity Society chief Dr Tim Gill believes obese people should not be singled out for penalties.

"Obesity is something airlines are taking very seriously, primarily because higher passenger loads affect their fuel consumption," he said.

"But I think it would be inappropriate to put all the burden of those issues back on people who have the problem and to say you have to lose weight or buy two seats.

"It's not fair to single out those people who have a problem, which is already impacting greatly on their life, and make them feel like pariahs."

He suggested installing a few extra-large economy seats on each flight to cater for obese passengers.

Jetstar spokesman Simon Westaway said airlines were monitoring changes in the population's weight.

Adriano "Adro" Sarnelli, a former winner of Network Ten program The Biggest Loser - who lost more than 50kg - is against introducing a fat tax.

"It's hard enough that they carry that extra weight, physically and emotionally," he said.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22735...ml?from=mostpop

I thought excess baggage charges by airlines is to prevent passengers from bringing "too much" things together with them which will lead to extra fuel burn, that's when you can have another option like not to pack too many things into your luggage.....but this obese people have no choice but to carry around their "extra fat" with them everywhere....

Just for share....woman says she was bullied by Southwest employee:

http://www.boston.com/news/local/new_hamps...ed_against_her/

I feel this is a discrimination towards obese people. Should those thin people pay less, since they are helping to save fuel.

My opinion, this idea is crazy.

:blink: oh no ....looks like I have start loosing weight!

The Civil Aviation Safety Authority bans obese people from sitting in emergency exit rows on flights, as they could block other passengers from evacuating in an emergency.

is this real ?

Whoever that approve this, YOU BETTER NOT A OBESE person.

If this is to happen, then we'd also have "screaming kids tax". "loud-mouthed parents tax", "large cabin luggage tax", among others

I came across some really huge people when flying - they can't even fit themselves into their seat and their body overflow over the arm rest. I feel sorry for these people, but at the same time it is not fair to the person who sit next to them.

Ewan, relax bro... hehe...

For sure this crazy idea will not be implemented.. definate discrimination.

Maybe skinny people can contra with fat people? Like carbon trading. :D

Or maybe runts like me could claim a refund? ;)

is this real ?

Whoever that approve this, YOU BETTER NOT A OBESE person.

Yup. Download this ATSB doc and go to page 54: http://www.casa.gov.au/fsa/2003/mar/ATSB.pdf

Response from CASA: The Authority has considered the issues raised. It is of the view that the carriage of obese persons on board an aircraft presents safety concerns only to the extent that some such persons might have mobility significantly below the norm, and thereby interfere with the rapid evacuation of the aircraft in an emergency. It is possible that obese passengers who have reduced mobility might be charac-

terised as handicapped for the purposes of the application of subsection 15 of Civil Aviation Order 20.16.3. Under that subsection, it is up to the aircraft operator to establish procedures to determine whether any particular person is handicapped, and to adopt appropriate risk-mitigation procedures for the carriage of those persons.

Response from operator: Currently there is no legislation requirement for the seating of obese passengers with the exception of exit row seating.

I came across some really huge people when flying - they can't even fit themselves into their seat and their body overflow over the arm rest. I feel sorry for these people, but at the same time it is not fair to the person who sit next to them.

Yes, I definitely have to agreed this. The options of either purchase 2 economy seats or upgrade to business class definitely the appropriate way to go, not only for the comfort of the obese passengers themselves but as a fair consideration for the innocent seat mates as well.

I feel this is a discrimination towards obese people. Should those thin people pay less, since they are helping to save fuel.

My opinion, this idea is crazy.

If they implement this I hope they will charge less for thin people... I think I can get half off if they charge by weight :good:

If someone is going to implement this, better prepare for the inevitable lawsuits.

Lady walks up to check-in counter.

"Madam, there will be a $xxx surcharge, cause you're fat"

Result ? Whack, monetary compensation for psychological distress !!

:pardon:

If someone is going to implement this, better prepare for the inevitable lawsuits.

Lady walks up to check-in counter.

"Madam, there will be a $xxx surcharge, cause you're fat"

Result ? Whack, monetary compensation for psychological distress !!

:pardon:

I thought some US carriers have already started charging 'larger than average' people by making it compuslory for them to buy 2 seats? Maybe its a myth?

Sign in to follow this