MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Naim

Scary things during flights

In a forum somewhere I spotted this guy boasting how cool he was. He wrote:

Cool is not the name of the game here... it is the design that has saved so many lives. I do have some nasty experiences when flying, like falling a few hundred feet in an air pocket, about 50-100ft above the runway in stromy weather when the pilot decides to take a de-tour, cabin fogging up so badly with water dripping all around that you couldn't see your fingers with your arms stretched... just to name some. Still I'm alright... and strongly believe this is the safest mode of transportation.

I think there's a bit of exageration there. Anybody wants to comment/add? Btw I guess he has not been hit with a wake turbulence yet. :)

base on my experience

Crosswind a TPE

Hard landing at LAX

Skid while landing at IAH

Stalling 500ft over Arizona

is quiet scary to me.

base on my experience

Crosswind a TPE

Hard landing at LAX

Skid while landing at IAH

Stalling 500ft over Arizona

is quiet scary to me.

What aircraft?What happened?

hmmm, trying to remember!

tow cable was breake off while climbing when I was taking glider training. (ground towing with towcar, not a tow plane) at 1988.

Go around with A310 to LTBJ-Izmir Adnan Menderes airport ILS34 approach due low foggy RVR, after passed runway, pilot made landing on opposite direction. Interesting thing, when we try to land rwy 34, there wasn't visual referance about runway but after landed rwy16, when I look up the rest of runwaywhile executing to taxiway, I could see at least half of runway. After that a pilot explained to me, it was a local stable fog just only one side of airport.

i think he meant good.. as air transportation is the safest available... ;)

scariest thing during NF(night flying), SOLO... JANGAN PANDANG BELAKANG :D hih hi hi hi... DONT LOOK BACK..

What aircraft?What happened?

It was a Delta with a B727-200 aircraft back in 1995 flying from LA to New Orleans. It actually started with a few series of air pocket, and suddenly it do a slow belly dive for almost 500ft. I was thinking it was some kind of wind sheer but i don't think wind sheer could happen at such a high altitude. The pilot says it was just an air pocket, but bigger then the usual.

in met classes they didnt mention about air pockets... we have downdraft updraft..windshear, turbulence. CAT( clear air turbulence) wind socks, jet stream.. hmm what else.. air resistance, anybody can define air pockets pls...

-scary .. failure, engine failure, fuel pump failure.. luckily 4 me so far, only tyre burst during land. scary.

It was a Delta with a B727-200 aircraft back in 1995 flying from LA to New Orleans. It actually started with a few series of air pocket, and suddenly it do a slow belly dive for almost 500ft. I was thinking it was some kind of wind sheer but i don't think wind sheer could happen at such a high altitude. The pilot says it was just an air pocket, but bigger then the usual.

I think it's a windshear. At high altitude, the high speed and low speed stall margin is very small. Sudden change in wind direction can cause the aircraft to go into low or high speed buffet.

Hehehe ... what about this one, related to this THREAD?

http://sun2surf.com/article.cfm?id=19918

Frightful 35 mins for 280 TG 415 passengers

Eunice Au and Jolene Foo

plane.jpg

Oxygen mask dangle in the cabin of the aircraft.

Photo taken from Woo's handphone

PETALING JAYA (Nov 8, 2007): About 280 Thai Airways' passengers were badly shaken when their Airbus took dives after two of its four jet engines were believed to have malfunctioned in mid-air on Tuesday (Nov 6).

Flight TG 415 lifted off from Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi Airport for Kuala Lumpur at about 9.20am, with an almost full load comprising scores of Malaysians, when the engines went dead near Haadyai after an hour.

The loss of 50% engine power sent the aircraft diving up and down like a yo-yo amid screaming passengers. It also triggered the air-conditioning system to shut down.

Lucky for the passengers, the pilot managed to stabilise the aircraft after 35 minutes and sent out a S.O.S for an emergency landing on Haadyai International Airport.

No injuries were reported.

Automobile businessman Datuk Davy Woo Nam Seng, who was travelling business class, told theSun: "It was the most terrifying experience of my life, and I believe it was so for all aboard.

"The plane started vibrating violently, went up and down like a yo-yo. It was most frightening, especially when the oxygen masks dropped from under the cabin compartments. Women and children from the economy class cabins were crying and screaming. They were enough to work on your emotions.

"Things were dropping in the pantry when we were going up and down. There was some tension in the economy class but the chief steward was efficient in calming down those who were screaming.

"After a successful emergency landing, one of the air stewards told me that the incident was caused by engine malfunction."

Automobile businessman

Datuk Davy Woo Nam Seng

"We were not told why the aircraft started vibrating violently. We were only told to put on our oxygen masks and tighten our belts. I really, really have the Lord to thank for keeping me with my family and friends."

Woo said there were at least two dozens of fire-engines, ambulances, police cars and airport vehicles lining the tarmac for a huge rescue job. "Praise God that the job was not necessary."

However, Woo said he needed to place on record the shabby treatment that "we received from Thai Airways in Haadyai Airport".

"We had to wait for about nine hours for another aircraft and a new crew from Bangkok to resume our journey home. That is understandable.

"What is not acceptable is that we were all given 100 baht (about RM10) food vouchers. The cheapest meal around was about 120 baht!" said Woo who was returning from a meeting on the Malaysian-made TD2000 vintage cars business.

BangkokPost.com reported on Tuesday, quoting Airways representative Suraphon Israngkula Na Ayudhya as saying TG 415 made an emergency landing on Haadyai after the pilot discovered a problem with the air pressure system.

He said the pilot requested an emergency landing on Haadyai airport at 10am, about an hour after the aircraft took off.

Thai Airways officials here could not be reached for comments today.

Updated: 10:36AM Fri, 09 Nov 2007

Nothing scary except that one aborted landing, but that last only for 5 seconds.......turbulence? gosh I love that :drinks:

Nothing scary except that one aborted landing, but that last only for 5 seconds.......turbulence? gosh I love that :drinks:

Yes, turbulence takes the boredom out of flying. Just close your eyes and imagine you are on a car with bad suspension on a road full of potholes. Just hope it does not fall off a cliff or something. :D

how bout this......

snakesonaplane.jpg

Lol...

Try this.

Second sector of the day, flying across the Indian Ocean in the middle of the night, the radio is quiet since we're on HF and using SELCAL, both Captain and FO are sleepy understandably and suddenly the MASTER WARNING ALARM" goes ! Within seconds both will be wide awake with bloods pumping and heart racing faster than the plane itself and it is a really good fright I'll promise you.

Eventually they'll realized it's another "Lavatory Smoke" alarm caused by some idi0t smoking in the toilet. If only you can flush them out.

Edited by Ahmad M

Try this.

Second sector of the day, flying across the Indian Ocean in the middle of the night, the radio is quiet since we're on HF and using SELCAL, both Captain and FO are sleepy understandably and suddenly the MASTER WARNING ALARM" goes ! Within seconds both will be wide awake with bloods pumping and heart racing faster than the plane itself and it is a really good fright I'll promise you.

Eventually they'll realized it's another "Lavatory Smoke" alarm caused by some idi0t smoking in the toilet. If only you can flush them out.

This happened to me recently...only it was caused by the cabin crew who sprayed perfume in the toilet.

i have to agree,the time i heard master warning chimes going off was probably the scariest moment in my still very short career in flying, the other time would be doing a nav-ex during training school days when i was relaxing too much and was actually flying the wrong heading as i looked at the wrong part of the map... :) good days.

i think the scariest thing is something that we dont know, and we assume bad things..

but sometimes, its better if we dont know...

The loss of 50% engine power sent the aircraft diving up and down like a yo-yo

"The plane started vibrating violently, went up and down like a yo-yo.

sounds like fun... :)

My scary experience:

- Hitting air pocket on flights between PER-DPS on AN A320

- Crosswind landing, almost crash disaster in SUB (on the same day when Adam Air went missing)

The stewardess was serving drinks.The aircraft suddenly encounter CAT (clear air turbulence) sending the cups flying up high,hitting the ceiling of the aircraft with the stewardess falling down on the buttock.Of course last but not least with a few passengers screaming as well.

My experience was with RBA Fokker50. Happened quite a few years back. KCH-BWN.

Actually i did not know what happened just that the plane dropped suddenly at night. Everyone else was screaming to the top of their lungs. And actually RBA served full meal in that Fokker50 flight. I still remember is Fish in this creamy sauce. YUMMY!!!

Sign in to follow this