MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Hon Lin

Malaysia Airlines VS Singapore Airlines

i think the main thing MAS has to do is to inrease its frequencies...boost their presence especially with already having the new cabins..and great crew..and not to forget livery tht even other airlines talk about..hehe....and to do this...first they have to get more equipment...and secondly..they have to hire more pilots and cabin crew..and stop the present ones from leaving...

Guest Fendy

THAI AIRWAYS

(just kidding) laugh.gif

Edited by Fendy

hmmm i got one GOOD POINT...i've heard that on SQ's Raffles Class on the 772....the lie flat seats...the legroom is so bad that if you're seating on the window seat...and the guy beside u has extended the seats fully to sleep in a lie flat position..u have to be realllly thin to get to the aisle...or if u're a lil bigger..theres no way u can get out unless u hop over or wake him up from his slumber sleep...lol..heard this comment from a pax....not so sure how true it is..but coming from a pax...i think i believe it

Sanjay, the seat pitch on SQ 772ER(non-derated) Raffles Class is exactly the same as MAS' which is 58". For this case, SQ is better because they have wider seats (2-2-2) instead of (2-3-2) on MAS.

come on guys.....what are you all on about....MH is definitely better than SQ. if you can't support your national airline....don't start supporting SQ!

that's why MH is bankrupt and SQ has all the money!

Don't worry, dude. MH won't go bankrupt because the government is supporting it tongue.gif As Sanjay said in another thread, it's the management to be blamed. By the way, don't forget that there are many Malaysians working with SQ too. If people don't support them many Malaysians might lose their jobs. SQ is pretty Malaysian too, considering up to 70% of their staffs are Malaysians.

u shld have told ur colleague to think back about the SQ 744 incident in Taipei..and say.."thts why i never fly SQ"

Better not, Sanjay. Because he's likely to say "The captain is a Malaysian" laugh.gif

I have always had bad encounters with SQ, especially their cabin crew, who seem to be either robotic in their mannerisms or simply biased towards other races (foreigners vs asians) It is not a one-off thingy, more like after 8 flights with them, nothing seemed to differ.

About bias towards other races, this also happen at our national carrier unfortunately sad.gif and CX also.

both airlines have pro and cons, each have their own benefits over the other. honestly, its down to personal opinion, some may think MH are better some think SQ are better. we all have different tastes, so you cannot for sure say one is better, others may think otherwise.

Well said. Fendy.

Overall, i think MH and SQ are pretty much the same. Both these carriers have jerks as cabin crews who are always nice to Westerners and treat us like "budak kampung" & cabins crews who are rude and lazy. So it's kinda hard to say which airline is better. If you see me flying on either airline one day, it's gotta because the ticket is cheaper, not because i think this or this airline is better. As for EY long-haul flights, i'll DEFINATELY go for MH, even if SQ ticket is cheaper, simply because MH got a better legroom, unless the SQ flight is operated by the 772ER (non-derated).

THAI AIRWAYS

Fendy, TG is a great airline. No kidding. I've flown with TG & MH twice respectively between KUL and BKK and TG appeared to be BETTER than MH on this sector.

MH vs TG (KUL-BKK-KUL)

TG

- Got Welcome Drink

- IFE is activated & headphone is available on every seat

- Standard legroom (32")

- Hot Towel, once the doors are closed (before departure)

- Cold Towel after meal

- Got menus on both flights

- An Orchid for all passengers before landing for the BKK-KUL flight

- FAs were friendly

MH

- MH Skipped the welcome drink on both flights mad.gif

- Only airshow (KUL-BKK) & Charlie Chaplin (BKK-KUL), no headphone is available (because it was Charlie Chaplin only)

- Better legroom (34")

- No hot/cold towel, another service they skipped mad.gif

- Menu was handed out only on the KUL-BKK flight

- FAs were friendly

A bit off-topic, just wanna tell you all some of the news i've heard. The SQ 388 and 77W will all be featuring 33"-34" of pitch in EY, currently only the 772ER(non-derated) in SQ fleet have 33"-34" of pitch in EY, which is exactly the same as MH.

Sanjay, the seat pitch on SQ 772ER(non-derated) Raffles Class is exactly the same as MAS' which is 58". For this case, SQ is better because they have wider seats (2-2-2) instead of (2-3-2) on MAS.

not entirely true...........MH have introduced a revised seat pitch of 75" for their new GCC seats (as a result of complaints from customers I guess).............the new 772 GCC will only seat 35 pax as opposed to the original 42...............seats are still 2-3-2, hence narrow but pax no longer need to "climb over" their neighbours to get to the aisle................currently, only 9M-MRP, MRQ and MRA have the old 58" configuration, but these will eventually be revised to the new pitch

Guest Fendy

isaac, was just kidding about thai airways.

however if they are a great airline - im not sure. so far from my experience, it wasnt very encouraging, and it has put me off from flying with them in the future, unless i absolutely have to.

but like is said before, its all down to your personal opinion and taste.

not entirely true...........MH have introduced a revised seat pitch of 75" for their new GCC seats (as a result of complaints from customers I guess).............the new 772 GCC will only seat 35 pax as opposed to the original 42...............seats are still 2-3-2, hence narrow but pax no longer need to "climb over" their neighbours to get to the aisle................currently, only 9M-MRP, MRQ and MRA have the old 58" configuration, but these will eventually be revised to the new pitch

10703[/snapback]

Ops .. ops .. ops .. So sorry, forgot it totally. Thanks for the clarification, Jamie. But i i think in terms of sleeping comfort, it's still the same, right ? Just that they can't no longer hide their legs under the seats in front of them.

however if they are a great airline - im not sure. so far from my experience, it wasnt very encouraging, and it has put me off from flying with them in the future, unless i absolutely have to.

For this very particular sector (KUL/BKK), they are great. But as you said, everbody got different tastes.

thanx isaac....but...i dont understand yet..how is tht MH pax dont need to walk over the neighbour to get out..and SQ's GCCL pax need to do it still?

Sanjay, i think it's because MH new GCC in 772 have more pitch (75") now while SQ is still in 58". Anyway, SQ will roll out their new spacebed soon.

The practice of giving out orchids by TG goes back some decades ago. I once flew to Bangkok on TG's DC-8 in 1975! At that time they had code share with SAS.

A small touch, but a nice one indeed.

THAI AIRWAYS

10591[/snapback]

Had a single trip sofar both on SQ (SIN-KUL) and TG (BKK-BWN), and must say I really loved TG...but, what can you really say of only 1 flight ?

Both are in the * Alliance, and personally I would choose TG over SQ on the SIN-BKK v.v. routes...

Ops .. ops .. ops .. So sorry, forgot it totally. Thanks for the clarification, Jamie. But i i think in terms of sleeping comfort, it's still the same, right ? Just that they can't no longer hide their legs under the seats in front of them.

I suppose so.......In my opinion, an airline opting for these so called angled lie-flat seats are either one of these two:

1)Theyre broke and cant afford better, non-generic seats ala BA or EK First

2)The purchasing team are just plain idiots and have absolutely no appreciation of

the concept of comfort

In the case of MH, its them both...sadly

I wouldnt be surprised if SQ introduces a new SPACEBED next year....its always been the case and MH will continue to play the catch-up role

its always been the case and MH will continue to play the catch-up role

10793[/snapback]

Seem so unfortunately sad.gif As i said in the other thread, it's time for them to do something different, don't always follow what others do. Take the risk, do what exactly BA, SQ, CX & VS did !

The new GCC is a very good example. They must know that this kind of product is with their main rival/strongest competitor (that they hope to steal many high yielding passengers from) for quite some time now and no doubt they will be introducing an even better Raffles seat soon, how could you possibly steal SQ passengers once they come up with far superior premium seats ?

I know many people think MH have a much friendlier crews, but that's not enough, apparently. MH must have a really good premium products and they MUST increase their frequencies to many destinations as soon as possible or else many people will still be off for SQ, not only high yielding premium passengers, but leisure travelers also !

Ok, nevermind if they decided to go for the angled lie-flat one, but can they please don't just buy that one that is available at JL, TG, CZ and soon KE ?

Exactly, increase the frequency, although it is hard to get more slots in established foreign airports for the time being.

We need more people to fly with MH and experience the excellent service. People always see we're playing second fiddle to SQ just because we don't fly as often as SQ does.

SQ has the edge of belonging to an alliance. With MH, it is much harder to attract pax from other airlines as it is impossible for pax from say, TG or LH to earn frequent flyer miles/status on MH, unless one flies very often and can justify top tier FF status in a few different programs. So the *A pax will undoubtedly pick SQ over MH, as with ow pax picking CX, BA, QF etc over MH. With members of Flying Blue no longer able to earn tier points on MH, that's quite a sizable chunk of loyal pax lost.

Also when structuring round the world tickets, people usually turn to alliances.

So given the dominance of *A in the aviation world, it's not surprising that SQ enjoys more patronage than MH.

All things being equal, I must say the structure of Enrich really put me off MH. It is impossible to get status unless one flies first/business all the time. It's like SQ PPS Club, but at least SQ has a Krisflyer Gold status that is attainable by flying any classes (although it gives you s#1t all apart from tier bonus and generic Star Gold benefits like lounge access and priority boarding).

Inflight service is only one factor in winning loyal pax. Never underestimate FF programs and alliances, which act together potently. Many times I have heard people (including my friends and I) who hold tier status in one or more of the major alliances bitching about how MH is such a fantastic airline but one which they will find it hard to justify spending their hard earned cash on if they didn't get miles (especially miles which count towards status) in return.

Edited by Keith T

MH and SQ debate..

I fly both quite often and pretty much always on the same route - KUL-PER vv..

Of late, I take SQ a bit more often because the price was right..

But with regards to service... I have to say that both MH and SQ provide a level of services that is unrivalled amongst the larger carriers of today... MH's warm friendly Malaysian natured crew are the feather in MAS' cap, and SQ's warm friendly MALAYSIAN crew also provide excellent service... hang on a minute... they're Malaysian! No wonder lah! :)

I've had good and bad experiences on both MH and SQ, but SQ service is tops when delieverd by a "Malaysian Girl"... some marketing... where got "Singapore Girl"... LeeCH mentioned in another thread that the next "Singapore Girl" to be used for marketing is from Tanjung Malim! hahaha :clapping: :drinks: :rofl:

Revived indeed !!!!!

If only MH can buck up in its finances sooner, I am sure they can make a difference in many aspects in airlines business. Whatever said, I am sure I can still travel on SQ despite being unhappy with their services quite often but that is only if I had to travel on an airline I was not comfortable with regards to safety. :clapping:

Anyways any of you guys know which class is H class? please don't ignore it!!

Sebastien,

H-class is a fare-regulated sub-class of Economy...sorry no Business- or First Class :sorry:

i used to study in Australia for 6 years. Imagine what, out of the 6 years, i used SQ most of the time. One of the reason, due to their nice hub and connecting point at Changi... really nice and efficient airport. By the way, SQ ticket is selling much cheaper in Malaysia compare to MAS... one of the main reasons why i chose SQ over MAS.

SQ crew not friendly?? :sorry: But I am SQ crew leh. I not friendly meh? Hehehe.......cheers guys. Singapore Girl advertistment for A3UGLY coming soon with a 7 minute advertistment. And it features our own Tanjung Malimproduct. YEAH!! :yahoo:

SQ crew not friendly?? :sorry: But I am SQ crew leh. I not friendly meh? Hehehe.......cheers guys. Singapore Girl advertistment for A3UGLY coming soon with a 7 minute advertistment. And it features our own Tanjung Malimproduct. YEAH!! :yahoo:

I eagerly await the product launch. :D

Singapore Girl advertistment for A3UGLY coming soon with a 7 minute advertistment. And it features our own Tanjung Malimproduct. YEAH!! :yahoo:

:o :o 7 minutes ? a lot of $$$ eh ...

:o :o 7 minutes ? a lot of $$$ eh ...

Have you seen the Visit Malaysia 2007 ad...unbelievably long..................... :pardon:

Sign in to follow this