MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Robert

Engine falls off a 737

I picked this up from CNN -

CAPE TOWN, South Africa (AP) -- A plane carrying more than 100 people made an emergency landing in South Africa after an engine fell off during takeoff from Cape Town on Wednesday, officials said. No injuries were reported.

The Nationwide airline plane, bound for Johannesburg, touched down safely after the airport's fire and rescue services rushed to clear debris from the runway.

The right engine of the Boeing 737 "separated from the wing. The aircraft continued to climb out," the airline said in a statement.

One of the passengers, Pretoria businesswoman Ronel Derman, told the South African Press Association that she had been in a seat directly over the wing and a passenger seated next to her was looking out of the window when the engine dropped.

"I heard this huge bang, and he said, 'That's our engine that's just fallen off.' I couldn't believe it. He had to repeat it to me," she told SAPA

sounds like a similar problem in the El Al cargo flight which crashed in amsterdam

not to forget the DC-10 incident in Chicago many years ago...

My goodness... That's bad... The arm not strong enough for the thrust...

Most probably metal-fatigue is the culprit.. we wait for the investigation result...

Yeah... I think that's the term I was looking for...

METAL-FATIGUE... fancy that.. hehehee...

it is lucky that the plane has enough speed for take off and well done to engine 2 for supporting!

Goodness!!

this is a very dangerous case for a twin engine plane right?

~~~~hish~~~~

it is lucky that the plane has enough speed for take off and well done to engine 2 for supporting!

Goodness!!

this is a very dangerous case for a twin engine plane right?

~~~~hish~~~~

It is a problem but not really that dangerous as losing an engine in isolation is not that big a deal. The problem comes if there is something else affected by the engine separation such as flight controls, fuel tank/lines etc.

It is a problem but not really that dangerous as losing an engine in isolation is not that big a deal. The problem comes if there is something else affected by the engine separation such as flight controls, fuel tank/lines etc.

More than 100 people relying on 1 engine is a big problem and also dangerous. Luckily the engine separated nicely.

Time to brush up on the ENGINE FIRE, SEVERE DAMAGE OR SEPARATION non-normal checklist.

Weehee Capt... This incident is ringing red alert in your mind... :D

I read in a Physics text few years ago that each engine is fastened to the plane by two bolts only... The question asked "why?" Till now I still don't know why. Someone explained it's exactly for incident like this one... So, he's right?

Edited by Teoh Z Yao

O M G...

caused by prolonged flight in turbulance and bumpy condition?? :pardon:

it is scary to see how those huge engines shaking and oscilating inflight <_>

Weehee Capt... This incident is ringing red alert in your mind... :D

I read in a Physics text few years ago that each engine is fastened to the plane by two bolts only... The question asked "why?" Till now I still don't know why. Someone explained it's exactly for incident like this one... So, he's right?

they are called fuse pins.

the fuse pins are designed to break apart to release the engine from the wing if the wing experiences a strong flutter.

in the el al cargo flight, the fuse pins were not maintained properly and one of them has already broke apart.

Sign in to follow this