MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
miroslav zinoviy

Lack Of Sponsorship Delays Solo Flight Take-off

Lack Of Sponsorship Delays Solo Flight Take-off

KUALA LUMPUR, Nov 8 (Bernama) -- A Malaysian wants to create history by being the first solo pilot to fly a single-engine propeller aircraft across 150 countries to spread the message of peace.

However, Capt Mohd Fairuz Mohd Sakirin's dream, which includes an attempt to smash three world records in the journey across seven continents, has been temporarily "grounded".

The Fairuz Wings of Peace Flight project which costs RM20 million, is unable to take off due to a lack of sponsorship.

Existing funds only cover 20 per cent of the project which was launched in 2004, under the patronage of Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi.

"Although many pledged contributions for the project, only a few honoured the pledges. I hope the funds start pouring in soon as the project is scheduled to kick off next month.

"Some people claim that the project is extravagant. However, if you factor in airport taxes, cost of landing rights, parking and maintenance fees, fuel costs for over 150 airports, the cost barely covers them," Mohd Fairuz said

He was speaking to reporters at the International Youth Centre in Bandar Tun Razak in Cheras today.

Mohd Fairuz, who had just returned from Melbourne where he underwent a two-week intensive training for the project, said the mission was a dangerous one which could cost him his life.

"Nevertheless, I'm willing to face the risks in the name of peace."

After the news conference, the 31-year-old was conferred the prestigious Ambassador for World Peace title by Prof Emeritus Dr Charles Mercieca, president of the International Association Educator for World Peace (IAEWP).

Thanking IAEWP for the honour, Mohd Fairuz said it showed that the message of peace was valued by people the world over.

The mission's objectives are to promote international understanding of non-violence to resolve conflicts; obtain social justice and sustain development and progress.

20 Million? Phew... thats an unbelievable for a solo mission... what do you guys think? i think need a bit of Sir Richard Branson's touch here, then he could proceed. Good Luck! i found a link related to it.... Link to solo flying peace mission

Uhmmmmm, what a waste of money! Just give 20M to donations, what solo flight could contribute to peace? How?

20 million to Mercy Malaysia will do far more good! How do you bring/spread peace by flying around the world? Sprinkle "fairy dust" over war zones and magically peace appears? Sorry I have become a cynical person when it come to these kinds of Malaysia Boleh feats. I am sure many will disagree with me, it's just my 2 cents worth.

Edited by Alan B.

another attempt by malaysian towards personal glory

United Nations have been involved in peace keeping and promoting peace for years.... Suddenly someone would like to do it solo..?? Realizing a dream to break a world record or sincerely to promote peace? Get a job...

Edited by miroslav zinoviy

If its to be done using a self built microlight, maybe its worth a mention, but in a presssurized hi tech single, it ain't no adventure.

Total waste of money..whoever briefed PM on this must be a nut.

Hoo-hoo ... self-promotional website - http://fairuzwingsofpeace.org/

http://fairuzwingsofpeace.org/about_captain.html

CAPTAIN FAIRUZ is an ordinary Malaysian pilot. With his credentials, he has a wish to work on his dream with a purpose by making full use of his passion for flying. Flying solo in a single engine turboprop aircraft, he is prepared to put himself to the test of taking the longest route in 120 days flying farthest to 7 continents on a Peace Mission known as the Fairuz Wings of Peace, en route to 3 world records.

CAPTAIN FAIRUZ'S AMBITION IS TO ACCELERATE the on going processes of peace. It is not just to be contented with his initiative and seeing indifference positively turning to urgent awareness perhaps even actions, but to leapfrog the process to make a difference and impact which would be long remembered at home and abroad.

Captain Fairuz's Character References :-

• President of Melbourne UMNO Youth Club (2000 - 2001)

• Member of Malaysia Hall Youth Club (Melbourne)

• School Prefect (La Salle School, Klang Malaysia)

• Scout Leader (La Salle)

• Captain of the school Rugby, Softball & Hockey teams (La Salle)

• School Librarian (La Salle)

Captain Fairuz obtained the following flight Ratings and Certifications :-

• Basic Aeronautical Knowledge (BAK,Aust)

• Standard Solo Flights (Aust)

• General Flying Progress Test (GFPT,Aust)

• Airline Transport Pilot Licence (ATPL, UK)

• Meteorology (theory) (UK)

• Radio Aids (UK)

• Performance Alpha (A) (UK)

• Human Performances and Limitation (UK)

• Instruments (Aust)

• Private Pilot Licence (PPL Papers, Aust)

• Air Law and Flight Rules (Aust)

• Navigation (Aust)

• Principal of Flight (Aust)

• Radio Telephony (Aust)

• Commercial Pilot Licence (CPL Papers, Aust)

• DCA Technical Paper (DCAT)

• Airframe Systems (Malaysia)

• Principal of Flight (Malaysia)

• Radio and Radar Aid (Malaysia)

Crap!! Crap! Crap!.. better go home buy some crabs...

like everyone said, 20Mil for peace flight is just a waste. what a flying can do to stop war? Donate to Mercy is waayyyy better!

He got a CPL. Who give him the title Captain?

His best bet (at least for this week) is to go present his case at the PWTC. After all, if he succeed, he will be the "first Malay person" to do whatever he wants to do.

He got a CPL. Who give him the title Captain?

His best bet (at least for this week) is to go present his case at the PWTC. After all, if he succeed, he will be the "first Malay person" to do whatever he wants to do.

Huh.. i want to fly around the world in each country's national airlines, first class, carrying a world peace message. costs less than a million. how about that? any sponsors? :p

Huh.. i want to fly around the world in each country's national airlines, first class, carrying a world peace message. costs less than a million. how about that? any sponsors? :p

Can ikut or not..... I'll be your manager!

Sign in to follow this