MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Samuel Chy

domestic flight

weird!

sabah enter sarawak need passport last time? i dont even know that. I thought penisula enter sarawak need passport only but i heard that nowadays no more..is tad true?

someone change the contract? change history oso??hehe

Why would you need passports for domestic flights? Or is one of those states a special administrative region like HK and Macau vs mainland China?

Edited by Keith T

Why would you need passports for domestic flights? Or is one of those states a special administrative region like HK and Macau vs mainland China?

That was part of the agreement when Sabah/Sarawak joined Malaysian Federation back then. But nowadays IIRC we only need MyKad

ya...dint study huh??

o so we only need mykad la..but still have days limit to stay if not mistaken right?

sabah sarawak only have this power only..zzzz.....

lol is this considered as sensitive issue? later i get caught ar..

Edited by Wilber Tan

Whenever you're entering, no matter who you are from (except Sarawakian of course), you need a passport or an IC, regardless of entering by road or by air or swim :p . The validity of it is 3 months by air, and 1 month by road (if i'm not mistaken).

It's advisable that you enter with your IC only, to avoid any lost of passport. But PLEASE keep the receipt, they will give you one when you enter! You'll need that when you're going out of Sarawak, or else you'll be in deep trouble, like what I did.

Only some circumstances will require a passport, for example study, or work, which someone needs to stay for more than 3 months, for the VISA purpose, and there is a blue version of passport in Malaysia, specially for Sarawak only, cost you around RM10, for 5 years (60 pages), unlike international which cost you RM300 for 5 years (30 pages).

Oh btw, if you're coming through Brunei, an international passport is required.

That was part of the agreement when Sabah/Sarawak joined Malaysian Federation back then. But nowadays IIRC we only need MyKad

When I enter Sarawak few years ago, I can use my IC only (no MyKad that time), but we need to fill a certain form in the airport. And the recent news is that one can enter with MyKad without feeling the form, thus making the process faster, but they will still give you a receipts, which still required when you're going out of Sarawak.

Edited by Chan CS

thanks for the fast reply, guys. :drinks:

Delwin, if i remember correctly, the name of the agreement within Sabah/Sarawak and penisula during the independent is "Syarat-syarat 20", is't?

and once again thanks, Chan. clear and useful information. :drinks:

When I enter Sarawak few years ago, I can use my IC only (no MyKad that time), but we need to fill a certain form in the airport. And the recent news is that one can enter with MyKad without feeling the form, thus making the process faster, but they will still give you a receipts, which still required when you're going out of Sarawak.

But whenever I go to Sabah/Peninsular Malaysia, no form/receipt was issued. Only issued my IC. Or is the receipt thingy not applicable for Sarawakians? :blink:

Delwin, if i remember correctly, the name of the agreement within Sabah/Sarawak and penisula during the independent is "Syarat-syarat 20", is't?

Yup. Those are called the 20 Points Agreement or something like that

Edited by Delwin A

But whenever I go to Sabah/Peninsular Malaysia, no form/receipt was issued. Only issued my IC. Or is the receipt thingy not applicable for Sarawakians? :blink:

Yes, Not applicable for Sarawakian. Sarawakian can go to which states without any problems, stay how long they like, by just using MyKad. And Sabahan can go to Peninsular Malaysia without any problems too, just use the MyKad.

When people from Peninsular Malaysia enters Sabah or Sarawak they'll require IC or passport. I have no idea whether an IC only will do, please confirm.

Cheers for the info. :)

ya...dint study huh??

eh???

Was just interested to learn about Malaysian politics...

What little knowledge I have of Malaysian history and politics I learnt from MW (and sometimes wikipedia) so please be gentle. ;)

Edited by Keith T

It's part of the agreement from the 60's with the main reason so as not to have an influx of fellow Malaysians entering the then, newly independent state under Malaysia.

I'm from the peninsula working in Sabah. I have my working permit stamped in my passport (applied through the Immigration in Wisma Dang Bandang). Whenever I'm leaving the state, I'd have my passport stamped with the "departed" red triangle stamp. But on arrival, the immigration officers would just flip it through. When they see my permit, they'd just hand it back to me. I have an 'indefinite leave to remain' in Sabah until, of course I quit my job here. Those without working permit will have a 90-day 'visa' upon arrival.

I don't find them a hassle. In fact I find it unique and special. Unique because it gives the locals a sense of territorial 'sovereignty' to safeguard local interests and land ownership. Also it is unique because in my opinion there are more Sabahans living in KL (or Singapore, for that matter) than Peninsular Malaysians working in Sabah! Hahahah.... Special because I feel like an expat with my red international passport bearing the working permit.

Whatever it is, whether you are in Sabah, Sarawak or Peninsular Malaysia, we all use the same currency bearing the head of the same Agong. Calls made using cellular phones are mostly 'one nation, one rate'. Everybody loves KFC and McD. And mamak place is everywhere even in the nooks and corners of North Borneo!

Life is too short to worry about territories and boundaries.

Aramaitiiihhhh!!!

OK ok let me clear more.

When independent that time Sabah and Sarawak been told to joint the "FUN" to form the federation of Malaysia. This is because at that time communist was way strong. At that moment our beloved Tengku scare that the Malaya can't hold on with it. As of that moment Indonesia and Philippine was going with reformation that make the situation going worse. As of that, Malaya need to growth bigger to defense it self. With permission from the British, Malaya was to joint with Singapore, Sarawak, Sabah and Brunei to form into the federation of Malaysia. This will eventually make those place mention stronger to resist communist and also prevent Singapore, Sarawak, Sabah and Brunei from fallen to Communist.

During those days, Sabah, Sarawak, and Brunei all can be so call country of it own and rule under different ruler from the British side. So in order to have fare deal, Sarawak, Sabah, Brunei and Singapore was as long to joint into the federation and ask to open negotiation to joint into the federation. Sabah, Sarawak Brunei open up the talk with 3 side retain it own state policy in immigration, royalty, water and bla bla bla….At the half way of the talk, Brunei when out from the talk and didn't want to joint…. There goes Brunei from Malaysia. With memorandum been confirming for Sabah and Sarawak to joint in, Malaysia form in with Malaya, Singapore, Sabah and Sarawak and left out Brunei.

OK OK let come back from history you guys find more from internet la. Just now I had mention about Sabah and Sarawak joint Malaysia with memorandum on issue regarding to immigration, royalty and other. Let me mention more to clear thing up.

Sabah and Sarawak at that time was small in population and full with natural resource such as oil, timber and land. So with low population and lot of natural resource, Sabah and Sarawak sign memorandum to joint Malaysia which take effect on the matter of immigration, royalty and blab la bla to prevent west Malaysian to work in both state.

So with that enforcement of those agreement, Sabah and Sarawak have it own immigration rule which are separate from West Malaysian it self. The effect of it brings the rule on this:

• Sabahan can head to west Malaysia without passport.
    • Sarawakian can head to west Malaysia without passport.
    • West Malaysian can’t head to Sabah and Sarawak without passport.
    • Travel in between Sabah and Sarawak need passport.
This is to prevent people from West Malaysia to stay in Sabah & Sarawak or in between Sabah and Sarawak. And also prevent people from work in Sabah and Sarawak. So as of that people need to have passport to travel to Sabah and Sarawak to control people movement. The days of using passport to travel have been change with immigration department improvement. Now days IC can act as passport to travel to both state but with limitation on staying in both place. To make this more easy, the chip in IC have help many Malaysian from west Malaysia to travel more easy as of people need no have to fill in form. Just retain the receipt from immigration officer.

With thing changing now, people in Sabah and Sarawak can enter Brunei with IC only as what Brunei and Malaysia government agree with.

But as always there is a lope hole on this system. When Labuan been given to the federal government, Labuan is assessable by west Malaysia with out using passport, then from there people can move free from Labuan to Sabah. But they must leave Sabah using Labuan.

Edited by Leo

Thanks for the comprehensive explanation, Ewan and Leo. :)

Sorry that I managed to make this thread go OT. :sorry:

Edited by Keith T

When my parents moved to Sarawak from peninsular Malaysia as a student. I remembered that I applied for a travel document for travels only between east and west Malaysia. It looks like a regular passport with a different colour. Just like those days where you could apply for a singapore entry only passport.

• Sabahan can head to west Malaysia without passport.
    • Sarawakian can head to west Malaysia without passport.
    • West Malaysian can't head to Sabah and Sarawak without passport.
    • Travel in between Sabah and Sarawak need passport.
With thing changing now, people in Sabah and Sarawak can enter Brunei with IC only as what Brunei and Malaysia government agree with.

But as always there is a lope hole on this system. When Labuan been given to the federal government, Labuan is assessable by west Malaysia with out using passport, then from there people can move free from Labuan to Sabah. But they must leave Sabah using Labuan.

Good description there Leo, now I know more about history :drinks: Hehe...

But for your 4th point, travelling between Sabah and Sarawak, it depends on where are you from, if you're from Sabah you need a passport that time, but Sarawakian can enter Sabah without passport, IC will do and no receipt will be issued.

As for the Brunei matter, yeah people can enter to Brunei with IC only, but only if the person is frequent traveller between this two countries, the requirement is that the person must travel at least 3 times a month, or else a passport is still needed.

Just make sure you keep the entry document well and remember where you kept it. It is just a piece of paper, like a receipt.

Last month, had sweat inducing moments when failed to find it in front of the immigration officer. Finally found it amongst other receipts. Ordeal lasted only 3 minutes, however the officer was very patient. Maybe this is a common occurence? Sometimes the safest place is the one that is most easily forgotten.

I feel the immigration should have better IMM form as the 'new' one currently used is printed on thermal paper and in a short time, the printed information may fade away.

oh sorry

let me clear the forth point.

The point that I mean is for West Malaysian. For them travel in between the 2 state need passport at that time.

As for Sarawakian travel to Sabah. They still need IC just like what Sabahan need IC to travel to Sarawak. At the same time Sabah immigration will also issue receipt for them. I get the information from my cousin in law which he is a Sarawakian but now stay in Sabah.

Sign in to follow this