MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
H C Chai

MH domestic fare

My parents and I are thinking about travelling from KCH to KUL in late December. I have been keeping an eye on MH fare for a while but it looks like MH is only offering M, W and Y fare on this leg almost in the whole of December. I still remember when I travelled with them in late Dec last year, they were offering about half a dozen of fares in different sub-classes (L,V,S,Q,M,W,Y). I find it hard to believe there are no L or V fares available on all flights for the whole month. Gives me an impression that they are secretly 'increasing' the fare by not selling the cheaper sub-class tickets.

Does anyone has the same problem, or is it just me?? :o :blink:

I STRONGLY believe MH is offering 'S' class fare upwards for domestic during this coming school holidays, and for some destinations, the 'S' fare is applicable only for the early morning and late evening flights. One exception I noted is PEN where there are some mid-day flights available.

I discovered this when I was trying to get a ticket to either TGG, PEN or KUA this end of month. I changed a number of dates for the different destinations and the lowest fare was 'S' class. Some like LGK was already selling at 'M' class and it was over RM500+ return (No thank you!) Perhaps 'S' and 'Q' class fares are already sold out.

But the sudden and sneaky RM7 fuel surcharge increase (now adjusted to RM6 per sector within peninsular) early Nov really pissed me.

By the way MH abolished Supersaver when BTP started, but reinstated them back... and from news reports pax were defecting to other carriers because of the abolishment.

In the early months after the reinstatement which coincided with the revamped online ticketing, 'L' and 'V' classes were only available via online purchase, and not phone or in-person bookings. Then 'V' was also available through telephone bookings.... and now 'L' class is also available via telephone as well. So online purchase for these normal discounted domestic are fully available through the callcentre. Still they are 'Peanut Express'..... and for some.....'Snack Box Express'. Expensive anyway I look at it.

Edited by Rozhan

My parents and I are thinking about travelling from KCH to KUL in late December. I have been keeping an eye on MH fare for a while but it looks like MH is only offering M, W and Y fare on this leg almost in the whole of December. I still remember when I travelled with them in late Dec last year, they were offering about half a dozen of fares in different sub-classes (L,V,S,Q,M,W,Y). I find it hard to believe there are no L or V fares available on all flights for the whole month. Gives me an impression that they are secretly 'increasing' the fare by not selling the cheaper sub-class tickets.

That's because December is a peak month. Most cheap seats are sold out months before.

I have been checking the fares since early October, not everyday but at least 4 to 5 times a week (Sounds like I've got nothing better to do! :D ) I managed to get a L fare on KUL-KCH, travelling in mid-Dec, that was before MH increase the fuel surcharge. The L / V fares were available on most flights in end Nov and the whole of December. I did not buy the KCH-KUL leg that time because I wasn't sure which date I will be travelling and whether my parents would like to come to KL with me too. A couple of days later I found out all the L/V/Q fares were ALL gone!! It surely wasn't the case last year.

Anyways, Rozhan you are right, there are still some S fare around but it is available on late evening flights on certain days only.

Luckily we still have AK! :lol:

Edited by H C Chai

i suggest you check with travel agents if u r not enrich member. they might have cheeper tickets.

ok, i will give it a try. I guess it doesn't matter if I am an Enrich member or not... ?!

ok, i will give it a try. I guess it doesn't matter if I am an Enrich member or not... ?!

i dont think booking with tracel agent will have miles...

oh ya talk about enrich..

if someone booked ticket for me on9 and did not key in my enrich detail do i still enable to get my enrich mile?? Or as long as i present my enrich card upon check in then i can get miles..

Yes, you will get miles credited to your Enrich account. Just provide your Enrich number will do.

if someone booked ticket for me on9 and did not key in my enrich detail do i still enable to get my enrich mile?? Or as long as i present my enrich card upon check in then i can get miles..

Yes. You will still get the Enrich Miles.

Luckily we still have AK! :lol:

Most certainly agree with that :) New planes some more.

By the way 'L' and 'V' class fares were available up till at least 31 October, but all of them mysteriously disappeared from the system sometime early Nov at the same time the sneaky fuel surcharge increase became effective. I'm very sure 'L' class were plenty on 31 Oct (to KUA for example) as I checked every day and night. On 2 Nov, all of them were gone!! Actually I have been trying to uncover how MAS strategise their pricing in recent weeks and that's how I discovered the sudden disappearence of 'L' and 'V' in early Nov., and I believe 'L' fare will start to be available again on or around 3 Jan 2008.

But if you insist on travelling on Snackbox Express (!) or to be more politically correct....the splendid Light Meal Box (LMB) , perhaps your parents qualify for senior citizens fare for some savings there. By default they should get 'L' class equivalent fare at 50% off.

all of them mysteriously disappeared from the system

I noticed this too. Talking about 5* airline with LCC cost, its more like the other way round.

Both my parents are qualified for senior citizen fares, but this cannot be booked online. I did phone up MAS few days ago, unfortunately the fare is capacity controlled and has very limited availability throughout December and only avaialbe on certain late night flights where they still do the S fare. The fare isn't very attractive anyway.

The reasons I choose MAS over AK are they use the MTB, give better luggage allowance and has seat allocation. Now with their fare going up so much and the introduction of cold sandwiches and still flying the shabby B734s, I can't think of any reason why I shouldn't give AK 320 a go.... :lol:

Edited by H C Chai

I can't think of any reason why I shouldn't give AK 320 a go.... :lol:

Fly it, and you'll love it :) Clear windows to see outside, and hot nasi lemak etc etc. With snackbox express, personally I feel the current fares is unjustifiable.

By the way I'm surprised to learn that senior citizen fares have all those restrictions you mentioned. In 2005, my parents took a return flight to KCH using senior citizens fare but did not encounter such restrictions. Only thing that it required advanced booking of 8 days, including the day of the flight, and purchased in person or via representative with a photocopy of passenger's IC.

I wonder if this is something new. If it is, then.......!

Edited by Rozhan

The reasons I choose MAS over AK are they use the MTB, give better luggage allowance and has seat allocation. Now with their fare going up so much and the introduction of cold sandwiches and still flying the shabby B734s, I can't think of any reason why I shouldn't give AK 320 a go.... :lol:

Or for just a small extra - you can pay for Xpress boarding on AK. The fare will still be lower than MH after buying Xpress boarding i think. Moreover you have to buy business class to get priority boarding if on MH. I scored the bulkhead aisle seat each way with AK Xpress boarding. :)

Yes the AK 320 are more comfy than the MH 734s as they're heaps cleaner and smarter looking.

The LCCT is a let down though; plus I hated the tarmac walk, especially in the hot and humid weather.

Edited by Keith T

Last time I had a call to the call center and they tell me that L fare are not available in peak season. But will be back on after the peak season. V class no idea....

With snackbox express, personally I feel the current fares is unjustifiable.

I like the name you gave to our national carrier! :lol:

The LCCT is a let down though; plus I hated the tarmac walk, especially in the hot and humid weather.

I think I am ok with the tarmac walk, but I agree with you it can be unpleasant sometimes, especially when the sun comes out after the rain stop and you get this steam with funny smell!

Btw how far is the LCCT from the MTB? I learnt from the KLIA website that there is a regular bus service (every 20 minutes) between the terminals, but it doesn't say how long it takes.

With snackbox express,....

Apt moniker for MH as it is. Get the name patented, you may have an unexpected windfall in future.

Btw how far is the LCCT from the MTB? I learnt from the KLIA website that there is a regular bus service (every 20 minutes) between the terminals, but it doesn't say how long it takes.

There are buses from LCCT to MTB and vice versa. last time i took it (september 07) the fare was rm1.50 per pax, around 20-30 minutes via roads near bunga raya complex. :rolleyes:

There are buses from LCCT to MTB and vice versa. last time i took it (september 07) the fare was rm1.50 per pax, around 20-30 minutes via roads near bunga raya complex. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the info mohd! 30mins isn't too bad. If my parents are taking AK back to KCH, I guess the best way is to travel with them to the LCCT, then catch the bus to MTB for my flight to CMB... ;)

Now that I have booked my flight with AirAsia (just yesterday!), the MAS 'L' fare is back! :huh: <_ src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_mad.gif" alt=":angry:">

Fares start from RM29 plus taxes and is available for travel between 01-31 Dec!

Anyways I shall take this as an opportunity to try out their new A320 and experience the LCCT myself ;)

Sign in to follow this