MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Keith T

Long haul domestic flights

It never occurred to me as to how big the USA really was until I booked a couple of flights over the weekend. My HNL-DFW sector is of 7hrs 20 mins in duration, or as long as my transatlantic JFK-LHR segment. My other option was HNL-ORD, about 500 miles longer. :blink: Opted to go with DFW in the end as it had better onward connections to JFK.

And I've always thought the transcons were long... It even beats flying SIN-SYD/MEL (6 hrs 50 mins in the shorter 'direction') which now feels decidedly regional. :p

In Australia I think the longest segment I can think of would be BNE-PER; approximately 6 hrs.

Has anyone been on such flights? I'd assume the large countries like Russia, Canada etc would have these flights due to their sheer mass.

Edited by Keith T

domestic ar?? no way to take long domestic flight in Malaysia lol!!!

Penang to Kch consider as long flight? took 2hours+ only leh..

the longest flight ive been is From SG to PVG lol..5hours only ar!!

Edited by Wilber Tan

Keith. just a small correction.. BNE-PER actually only last 4.5 hrs. I'm yet to travel long haul domestic flights, but it definitely not something to look forward to.

Keith. just a small correction.. BNE-PER actually only last 4.5 hrs.

Keith has probably factored in the time he spends in those lounges pre and post flights !! :p

Oops, I stand corrected. :sorry:

But it seems like I'm not the only one who's confused. A friend's mum in law asked a Virgin CSA the other day how long the BNE-PER flight was, and she was told that it's 2 hours. :pardon:

HNL-DFW is a 763 which isn't too bad; can't imagine being stuck on a single aisle aircraft for that long.

Edited by Keith T

HNL-DFW is a 763 which isn't too bad; can't imagine being stuck on a single aisle aircraft for that long.

And NO COMPLIMENTARY MEAL will be offered in EY on any AA domestic flights. Even this super long haul domestic flight. Just the overpriced BOB available in EY. But i assume you are travelling in C. So it wouldn't be a problem.

And NO COMPLIMENTARY MEAL will be offered in EY on any AA domestic flights. Even this super long haul domestic flight. Just the overpriced BOB available in EY. But i assume you are travelling in C. So it wouldn't be a problem.

The BOB is pretty poor - when I'm stuck down the back on a long AA domestic flight I tend to pack my own meals from restaurants prior to leaving for the airport. Or airport restaurants if there're some nice ones around. Usually something simple like roast duck salad would do so I don't have to worry about keeping the food warm.

No C on US domestic (except SFO/LAX-JFK) - only F and EY. I'm booked in EY at the moment (it's part of an EY RTW i'm doing in Sept next year), but will try to use upgrade certificates to fly up front when I get them next year. AAdvantage's elite EVIP certificates allow upgrades on up to 3 flights in the same itinerary per certificate. :good: *prays for A class availability*

If FFP isn't a concern I recommend that people check out VX - people who've flown them so far swear by them. Alas I'm a mileage ho so I'll stick to AA.

Edited by Keith T

"Longhaul" domestic flights for the Netherlands would be:

Block-time:

AMS-RTM 30mins

AMS-EIN 45 mins

AMS-MST 50 mins

AMS-GRQ 40 mins

deduct about 15 mins for flying-time :p

(AMS-RTM by "Orange" usually 6-7 mins air-time :blink: )

domestic ar?? no way to take long domestic flight in Malaysia lol!!!

Penang to Kch consider as long flight? took 2hours+ only leh..

the longest flight ive been is From SG to PVG lol..5hours only ar!!

Penang to Kota Kinabalu flight direct on AK was about 3 hours I think. My longest flight was Brunei - PVG, about 4 I think. Wonder what's the longest domestic flight in Singapore? :rofl:

The longest non-stop domestic flight on MH is KUL-BKI v.v. at 2:40 block time. We used to do BKI-SDK which was slightly longer, also there was MH 2610 doing PEN-KUL-KCH-MYY-LBU-BKI, and MH 2625 doing the opposite way. Those were long days, not many people doing all the sectors.

I used to fly LAX-IAH on Continental 757-200 or 737series, about 3 hours flight

Also IAH-LAX on Continental 767-400ER or 757-300 on some occasion, flight duration same as above.

Long time ago, I fly 3.5 hours on Delta 727-200 for LA to New Orleans and Continental 727 for 3 hours for New Orleans - EWR.

I recall that there's some outside airline fly US domestic route like British Airways fly ORD-IAH on 777 and China Airline do the Houston - Seattle route on an A340-300.

Azuddin

Edited by Azuddin

I recall that there's some outside airline fly US domestic route like British Airways fly ORD-IAH on 777 and China Airline do the Houston - Seattle route on an A340-300.

Do they have cabotage rights for domestic routes though?

QF flies LAX-JFK-LAX daily on a 744. But they only take pax on that shuttle if they have an international ticket to/from Australia or AKL. Partly because of cabotage concerns, and also partly because it'd deny seats, especially in F and J, for SYD-JFK pax.

Edited by Keith T

Do they have cabotage rights for domestic routes though?

For British Airways, they fly LHR-ORD-IAH. My dad been on this flight and the ORD-IAH flight is operated by AA, using BA aircraft. My dad notice that some pax boarding at ORD for IAH has AA boarding pass.

..... KUL-BKI v.v. at 2:40 block time. We used to do BKI-SDK which was slightly longer, .....

Typo there I believe Captain - should be KUL-SDK ?

Edited by BC Tam

The longest non-stop domestic flight on MH is KUL-BKI v.v. at 2:40 block time. We used to do BKI-SDK which was slightly longer, also there was MH 2610 doing PEN-KUL-KCH-MYY-LBU-BKI, and MH 2625 doing the opposite way. Those were long days, not many people doing all the sector

Captain, seems like the KUL-TWU and KUL-SDK direct is longer than KUL-BKI? I could be wrong.

By the way China seems to have some pretty long domestic flights. Beijing to Urumqi (Xinjiang) and Lhasa (Tibet) and Shanghai to Lhasa and Urumqi.

also there was MH 2610 doing PEN-KUL-KCH-MYY-LBU-BKI, and MH 2625 doing the opposite way.

Huh, I remember that flight. 5 x orange juice. Duh...

For British Airways, they fly LHR-ORD-IAH. My dad been on this flight and the ORD-IAH flight is operated by AA, using BA aircraft. My dad notice that some pax boarding at ORD for IAH has AA boarding pass.

No 5th freedom......

Captain, seems like the KUL-TWU and KUL-SDK direct is longer than KUL-BKI? I could be wrong.

By the way China seems to have some pretty long domestic flights. Beijing to Urumqi (Xinjiang) and Lhasa (Tibet) and Shanghai to Lhasa and Urumqi.

Radzi meant for MH. MH has stopped operating KUL-TWU direct for some months now. Now its KUL-BKI-TWU. I personally think KUL-TWU is quite a good route at least for AK. Captain Radzi, any insights of the load when its still operating last time?

if u want to hv a long haul domestic flight, try flying KEWR/KJFK to KLAX.

I take it that you're referring to EWR/JFK-LAX? I'm not familiar with ICAO codes so correct me if I'm wrong. :pardon: Sure looks like what you're referring to though. :)

Anyway, at 7hrs 20 mins HNL-DFW is somewhat longer than the transcons; SFO/LAX-NYC are at about 5.5-6 hrs, give or take. Service on transcons are better though; AA and UA have an enhanced service on both flights known as American Flagship Service and Premium Service respectively. 3 cabin routes too. It's strange that HNL, being a longer flight, has no such enhancements - perhaps reflecting the mainly leisure traffic on that route.

The mother of all long haul domestic flights that I've found so far is HNL-ORD at 8hrs 10 mins. :blink:

Edited by Keith T

Radzi meant for MH. MH has stopped operating KUL-TWU direct for some months now. Now its KUL-BKI-TWU. I personally think KUL-TWU is quite a good route at least for AK. Captain Radzi, any insights of the load when its still operating last time?

Thanks Walter. I have been on MH's KUL-TWU for once in 2005 when I went back for Chinese New Year. The load was full (100%), mind you it was a festive season. I hope MH would restart the route again (as well as KUL-SDK) as it is a waste of time transitting at BKI for the next available flight (which can be quite a few hours). Have you been on that flight before?

Edited by S V Choong

Some of the longest domestic flights operated by AK from a Flight crew point of view considering the long FDP are:

1.KUL - TWU -KUL - KBR - KUL

2.KUL - SDK - KUL - PEN - KUL

3.KUL - KCH - KUL - BKI - KUL

4.KUl - KCH - KUL - KCH - KUL

Once AK used to operate up to 6 x sectors in Pen Malaysia ie: KUL - PEN - KUL - KBR - KUL - JHB - KUL.Duty period and Flight times are not long but very tiring due to rapid turnarounds and lots of take offs and landings.

I have went on KUL-TWU one time only but can't remember the load. Was too young back then. But my previeus few experiences on AK KUL-TWU is i think 90% full! So i reckon load can't be that bad!

Edited by Walter Sim

The mother of all long haul domestic flights that I've found so far is HNL-ORD at 8hrs 10 mins. :blink:

Actually, the longest domestic flight in the US is CO's EWR-HNL at 11 hours block time (not flying time) at 4,962 miles.

And why in the world someone wants to fly on UA 1/2 (ORD-HNL-ORD) baffles me, especially if you are stuck in E- or god forbid, paid F.

I have done LAX-JFK-LAX a couple of times and United's p.s. flights are the best domestic flights in their system (only in C and F though). I was even double upgraded to F once and the seat/service was impeccable! Plus, the JFK-LAX route offers one of the best uses for the e-500s since it only requires 5 e-500s for the 2,475 miles flight (compared to 6 for the 2,586 JFK-SFO flight).

I'll be doing LAX-BOS this Friday (2,611 miles) and then JFK-LAX run this Saturday. And my upgrade to C looks good on my JFK-LAX flight! :D

Actually, the longest domestic flight in the US is CO's EWR-HNL at 11 hours block time (not flying time) at 4,962 miles.

And why in the world someone wants to fly on UA 1/2 (ORD-HNL-ORD) baffles me, especially if you are stuck in E- or god forbid, paid F.

Hehe nice one. I was actually only looking at AA schedules as I was booking a oneworld RTW. They don't fly HNL-JFK directly so I had a choice of DFW, LAX, SFO or ORD. I decided to book HNL-DFW for fun as I've done the transcons quite a few times. :p DFW also had better connections to JFK (i can't do LGA or I'd incur a LGA//JFK surface segment and cause difficulties with EVIPing) than ORD does.

I'm hoping there's A seat availability by the time I get my EVIPs or I'd be stuck in whY!!...

I'm flying SFO-JFK in F this Feb. I was unintentionally 'upgraded' to F on the 3 class service even though i was on a J RTW. What happened was when I ticketed my itinerary, I was booked on a 2 class flight for SFO-JFK (Y and F), which entitled me to sit in F per the oneworld explorer rules. Then they EQP CHGed and turned the flight into a 3 class service. But I'm still ticketed in F. I was hoping to reroute and reissue my ticket before I depart but now will wait till after SFO-JFK in case the tariffs desk notices and chuck me back down to J. Yay for AFS F! (yes yes I know it isn't as good as ps F)

Edited by Keith T

Sign in to follow this