MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Seng Lim

Mandala B732 skids off runway

Plane skids off wet runway in East Java, forcing emergency evacuation

MALANG, East Java (AP): A jetliner carrying 97 passengers and crew skidded off a rain-soaked runway at an airport in East Java Thursday, forcing an emergency evacuation in which five people received minor injuries, officials said.

The Boeing 737-200's front axle snapped during the landing in a downpour at Malang airport. The Mandala Airlines aircraft skidded and overshot the runway by 80 meters, air force spokesman Capt. Wahyudi said.

Five people suffered scrapes and bruises while exiting the plane, said Wahyudi, who like many Indonesians goes by one name.

Officials at Mandala Airlines said the cause of the accident was being investigated.

A series of airline accidents in Indonesia killed more than 100 people early this year, prompting the European Union to blacklist all its airlines. The U.S. Federal Aviation Administration also downgraded the nation's rating to its lowest category. (***)

http://www.thejakartapost.com/detailgenera...1916&irec=0

The airport has a very unlucky name.....

Anyway, any rego?

I was the one in the office who received the call from Engineering Mandala at MLG airport and my first question to him are there any casualties and thank God nobody is injured eventhough few news reported 3 to 5 passengers injured. Crisis management center is set up immediately in my office before permanent CMC is set up at the HQ office. Few info on the flight, aircraft registration PK-RIL Flight No RI 260 Route CGK-MLG carrying 89 passengers. Recovery team from Merpati Nusantara arrived at the scene approximate at 2330hrs last night and most probably recovery process will start early this morning awaiting for the first light (I'm already at my apartment). My camera is at the scene at the moment but not in my hands hopefully when i'm back at the office this sunday morning i'll be able to upload few photos.

Sign in to follow this