MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Isaac

Malaysia Airlines - Why So Expensive ?

I was searching for the price of a return ticket to HKG for January next year and MAS turns out to be the most expensive ! :angry:

Malaysia Airlines

~ KUL-HKG > 6/1/08

~ HKG-KUL > 9/1/08

~ Booking Class : Economy (V)

~ RM1605/person

~ Enrich : 25% of miles flown

~ Northwest Airlines WorldPerks : N/A, booking class not eligible for mileage accrual

Singapore Airlines

~ KUL-HKG > 6/1/08

~ HKG-KUL > 9/1/08

~ Booking Class : Economy (Flexi)

~ RM1595/person

~ KrisFlyer and all other Star Alliance FFP : 100% of miles flown

Cathay Pacific Airways

~ KUL-HKG > 6/1/08

~ HKG-KUL > 9/1/08

~ Booking Class : Economy (V)

~ RM1149/person

~ Asia Miles : 100% of miles flown

~ American Airlines AAdvantage : N/A, booking class not eligible for mileage accrual

ex-KUL to HKG, traditionally MH is the most expensive and CI is the cheapest.

Given a choice, most locals will choose to fly with national airline. Hence, national airline is normally the most expensive from home base.

:drinks:

Isaac, one thing that caught my attention from your analysis is how stingy MH with their Enrich miles compared to the other 2 carriers.

No worries Isacc, I've realised something now. MH will keeps survive for quite sometimes, because they don't need budget customers like us. They have their very own style of doing business!

And gov-paid travels for gov servants to prop MAS up, and those who insist on travelling on MAS as a personal choice.

I insist on better airlines with better products.

Isaac, one thing that caught my attention from your analysis is how stingy MH with their Enrich miles compared to the other 2 carriers.

not only stingy ... redemption is expensive (and cumbersome.. ie no online redemption).

In my opinion, either MH management is not cost efficient or they are greedy to earn some profit in order to meet the targeted profit. The expense is the staff to suffer and the passengers to bear the cost.

In my opinion, either MH management is not cost efficient or they are greedy to earn some profit in order to meet the targeted profit. The expense is the staff to suffer and the passengers to bear the cost.

Good point there!

Ooi Isaac, wanna wait until May 2008 or later and visit me in HKG? ;)

It makes the Enrich scheme looks like a joke! (25% miles accural), while Asia Miles and Krisflyer is 100%. By the way, fly 77W on SQ....... you won't regret it!! More over SQ is going to put the A380 into the SQ2 route (SIN-HKG-SFO) sometime around May or June?

Edited by S V Choong

Wow good point...A380s for HKG? Now's it's a great way to fly SIA :drinks:

SQ2 SIN-HKG is great timing too. Leaves in the late arvo (around 5pm from memory) so you have plenty of time to catch a connecting flight down from KUL at a civilised hour.

SQ1 HKG-SIN leaves at 8am though. I personally find it too early to wake up for if originating in HKG, A380 or not but YMMV. :)

Yeah. And V class is actually MAS' second lowest price in the entire Economy Class system :angry: But the fare i got from their site doesn't look too cheap for me ... And no change is allowed for this booking class :angry:

Ooi Isaac, wanna wait until May 2008 or later and visit me in HKG? ;)

That would be great but i think i'll be very busy for the next few months as soon as STPM results come out.

It makes the Enrich scheme looks like a joke! (25% miles accural), while Asia Miles and Krisflyer is 100%. By the way, fly 77W on SQ....... you won't regret it!! More over SQ is going to put the A380 into the SQ2 route (SIN-HKG-SFO) sometime around May or June?

I am considering SQ via SIN ... Because the CX fare is actually a promotional fare and the sales end tomorrow (31/10/07). Will only decide in December. So if i really go to HKG next January i might be flying SQ. And yes, i will definately take the earliest SQ flight out of KUL so that i can catch the 77W to HKG :p

YES i agree, cathay more cheaper than MH,

my uncle is one of Muslim Travel Agent in Penang, the customer 100% muslim

people (45 years old ++). Before 2006, Beijing Package (6D5N) will fly with Cathay just RM 2100++ per/person).

actually my uncle get about 25-30 person only.

But,

After 2006, he change the package, fly with MH, but the price increase until RM2650++

then he get 60-70 person!!!!!!! Why they wiling to pay extra money?

I ask my uncle what happen? he told me, old Muslim people (orang tua-tua)

lost appetite to eat (syubahah=ragu-ragu). We know CI also serve muslim food, but

i donno why they don't like the style of dishes.

For me it's ok, I can eat any food if halal laaa....

one more, MH have better connecting flight, PEN-KL-PEK, but cathay PEN-HKG-PEK (must wait at HKG

airport about 5 hours..)

Edited by M. Sofian H.

Isaac, no suprise for MH price :angry: !!!! I have checked for KUL-LHR for next year June. The price for 2 pax(economy) and return flight the price was arround RM21000.00 :blink: . Better I wait AK fly to London :pardon: .

Isaac, no suprise for MH price :angry: !!!! I have checked for KUL-LHR for next year June. The price for 2 pax(economy) and return flight the price was arround RM21000.00 :blink: . Better I wait AK fly to London :pardon: .

June is peak season - summer in Europe. :)

Other carriers should be pricing out a little cheaper especially if connections are involved.

Also, look out for early bird fares, which should be selling around about now till end of the year.

Wow RM21000.00

Why if i buy MH ticket via website is more expensive than buy from travel agent... (for longhaul destination)

last year i buy ticket at REGIONAL TRAVEL AND TOURS SDN BHD (Penang)

PEN-KUL-DPS only RM1020 (two way) but if u see in MH website, sure the price RM170++ or sometimes RM1900++

Edited by M. Sofian H.

MH once said that pax can get 'cheaper fares' via the web when it first introduced the online ticketing. Obviously they lied!

Fare on www.flyqatar.com for 03jun08 KUL-DOH-LHR and 25jun08 LHR-DOH-KUL shows:

Traveller Type Adult

Fare 2,590.00

Taxes 903.00

Number of Travellers 2

Total 6,986.00 MYR

and............you'll be flying A346 on LHR-DOH; transit-times, however, quite long @ DOH :(

If for want to save RM14,014 means spending even 1 whole day or even 1 week at DOH, I would certainly not mind at all.

Huh! unless i got my money from a tree at my backyard, i wouldnt mind waiting 1 whole day too... 14k, that's huge..

Probably a little too early to nail lowest priced ticket. Get your TA for a quotation and an idea of when the cheapest ticket will be released for sale.

Fare on www.flyqatar.com for 03jun08 KUL-DOH-LHR and 25jun08 LHR-DOH-KUL shows:

Traveller Type Adult

Fare 2,590.00

Taxes 903.00

Number of Travellers 2

Total 6,986.00 MYR

and............you'll be flying A346 on LHR-DOH; transit-times, however, quite long @ DOH :(

Uncle Pieter thanks for Ur infomation . I will try to check via this website .

RM21 000 for a snack box and two microwaveable meals....

EMIRATES is the way forward. They gave me ROTI JALA with CHICKEN CURRY from KUL-DXB, and lovely stir fried beef with rice from DXB-MAN. Huge portions, lots of bread/rolls, nice desert.

Single was RM2,100 compared to MH's RM3500 KUL-LHR.

sorry lah. no way MH.

I am quite surpised with MH's pricing but any idea why they are still flying routes like KUL - LHR on a regular basis? Obviously the load should be sufficient to maintain that route because MH has cut some of their unprofitable routes.

If i may add:

Just 2 weeks ago, I was given the following quotes from a local agent on a return LHR-KUL ticket; leaving on the 9th Nov and returning on the 20th Nov (all prices tax included):

Etihad - £457.70

Emirates - £492.90

Qatar - £513.22

KLM - £520.00

Singapore - £547.00

MH!! - £565.00

Needless to say, we all know where my hard earned cash went to - for £107.30 cheaper than MH, I will be :

1)Flying an almost brand new A340-600 btw LHR-AUH on the return sector

2)New-ish A332's btw AUH-KUL

3)10.4" touch screen AVOD

4)Fabulous noice-cancelling headsets

5)Skytrax's Best Economy Class Catering for 2007

6)Only a maximum of 2 hours 50 minute transit time in AUH on the return sector

Cant wait to fly Etihad again......flew LGW-KUL return back in Feb 07......thoroughly impressed

Like Izanee, I was once a die-hard MH fan.......but until they get their act together, my money will continue to go to the 'Big 3' Middle Eastern Carriers indefinitely (that is until SQ starts using their whale-jets here)!!

Sign in to follow this