MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
miroslav zinoviy

MAS flight forced to return to Hong Kong

Afiq, couldn't they repair the a/c at Hong Kong airport? Understandably, a big sum involved?

Couldn't get the spare from Cathay nor MAS. So rather then leaving the aircraft in HK for quite sometime and paying for the parking fees and all, they decided to ferry the a/c back to KL.

Couldn't get the spare from Cathay nor MAS. So rather then leaving the aircraft in HK for quite sometime and paying for the parking fees and all, they decided to ferry the a/c back to KL.

From my understading they do pay parking fees in KLIA right? Cheaper?

Btw, how did you guys ferry back the a/c to KL without fixing the problems (since you don't have spare)? Or it was fixed that time?

Ahhhh good question... Usually we burn around 20T of fuel if we fly at FL380 or FL400 using the normal routing. Flight time around 3hrs 30. That day we flew back via inland because we couldn't meet with the MEA for the usual routing airways, we flew at FL200 only, and burnt around 43T!!! :blink: Took us an extra hr to reach KL. Btw, cockpit was very noisy, nope on the airbus once A/P engaged, the stick is dead, so no vibration there.

Not really hydraulics, more towards the landing gear systems itself that caused all of these....

Ian, extra night but stay airport hotel only :( but got go kai kai at the terminal la... syiok!

Cheers

Thanks for your answer.

Did you uploaded maximum fuel for the journey or were kept looking at FMS before crossing Gulf of Siam/SGN?

Happy Landing.

:drinks:

From my understading they do pay parking fees in KLIA right? Cheaper?

Btw, how did you guys ferry back the a/c to KL without fixing the problems (since you don't have spare)? Or it was fixed that time?

the landing gears was extended all the way back to KUL

Hi guys, just came back from DXB this morning and guess what, brought back MKJ! She came out of maintenance about 2 days after we brought her back. She's doing well now.

Yeap, we ferried the aircraft back with landing gears down all the way. As for the fuel calculation, we had to do it manually using the manuals on board. Headache! Spent about 2 hours calculating. Various limitations had to be observed, mainly concerning the take off weight. We didn't uplift max fuel, but on the way back we crosschecked over and over again the remaining fuel. FMS fuel prediction cannot pakai, because we obviously had more drag with the gears down. No problem with the FMS time prediction tho.

Azmir, more towards LGCIU fault, and yes it was a code share flight with CX

Hi guys, just came back from DXB this morning and guess what, brought back MKJ! She came out of maintenance about 2 days after we brought her back. She's doing well now.

Yeap, we ferried the aircraft back with landing gears down all the way. As for the fuel calculation, we had to do it manually using the manuals on board. Headache! Spent about 2 hours calculating. Various limitations had to be observed, mainly concerning the take off weight. We didn't uplift max fuel, but on the way back we crosschecked over and over again the remaining fuel. FMS fuel prediction cannot pakai, because we obviously had more drag with the gears down. No problem with the FMS time prediction tho.

Azmir, more towards LGCIU fault, and yes it was a code share flight with CX

Once again, thanks for your answer. It was a busy flight for you.

I am quite surprise that A330 FMS fuel prediction is solely depending on pre-programmed parameters and is not smart enough to adjust with actual consumption.

Safe landing.

Hi guys, just came back from DXB this morning and guess what, brought back MKJ!

Ahh...the stories I heard about that incident almost always result in me bursting out laughing....

engine cannot crank...STILL wanna crank.... :rofl:

Pardon the ignorance, but what is this "cross bleed" thingy I've heard of since my younger days but been too lazy to find out so far ?! :(

Turbofan is start with compressed air from APU. In the event of APU is non-op, start first engine with huffer cart then second engine with ‘cross bleed’ from first.

You need about 70% N2 trust to work.

Ah, thanks for that. Now for follow up questions if I may ?

(1) "Huffer cart" are those 'engines on wheels' one finds parked next to some planes at times ?

(2) There are the necessary piping system inbuilt to every bird to channel compressed air from APU to engines and between engines then ? In that sense, not too far off from steam age technology there !

(3) What is N2 thrust ?

Thanks again

Ah, thanks for that. Now for follow up questions if I may ?

(1) "Huffer cart" are those 'engines on wheels' one finds parked next to some planes at times ?

(2) There are the necessary piping system inbuilt to every bird to channel compressed air from APU to engines and between engines then ? In that sense, not too far off from steam age technology there !

(3) What is N2 thrust ?

Thanks again

1) The most common way to start Turbines is by using compressed air and this is normally tapped from the APU. Smaller turbines use ellectric starter. The Huffer carts are actually mobile compressors and are linked to the engine air driven starter motors in place of APU. Mid sized engines can use compressed air bottles to start in place of APUs.

2) Most turbine and all pressurized turbines have a labyrinth of pneumatic piping built into the aircraft to channel air into the aircon/pres , anti-ice and engine starter and will have built in facility to power each other.

3) N2 is not thrust. N2 is an RPM indication of the high pressure rotors of the turbine. Normally read in percentages. There's also N1. This refers to the RPM of the big fan visible from the front of the engine. Thrust is normally read as EPR. They all do the same thing, ie advices the Pilot of the power the engine is generating.

Afiq,

You coming back here to 'rescue' -MKW? :pardon:

No la bro, I think the operating crew for that flight will bring her back. I brought some spares for MKW tho that day I went to DXB, the spares got jump seat all the way! Just a small box, can't remember what's inside.

Btw, nice explanation Nik :good:

Edited by Mohd. Afiq A.

No la bro, I think the operating crew for that flight will bring her back. I brought some spares for MKW tho that day I went to DXB, the spares got jump seat all the way! Just a small box, can't remember what's inside.

Btw, nice explanation Nik :good:

Ahh i see i see.

Next time you swing round..gimme a buzz.

looks like the PW rep from DOH wasnt too pleased with engine no. 2...reminds me of the Jumbo's over the summer period....

Sign in to follow this