MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Meor

BKI Spotting V2

since now i doesnt have any BKI spotting picture so i think this would be related to BKI history and i think it had been mentioned in last BKI thread.

here is the Double Six monument at Grace Park, Sembulan.

DSC03221.jpg

The Double Six Tragedy, also known as the Double Six Crash, was a plane crash which took place on June 6, 1976 in Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia. The plane, operated by Sabah Air, coming from Labuan crashed in the sub-district of Sembulan in Kota Kinabalu upon approaching Kota Kinabalu International Airport. The crash killed everyone on board the flight, including Tun Fuad Stephens, the Chief Minister of Sabah at that time. The other passengers on the flight were State Ministers Datuk Salleh Sulong, Datuk Peter Mojuntin, Chong Thien Vun, and assistant minister Darius Binion. Others who perished were the then Secretary of State for the Ministry of Finance of Sabah Datuk Wahid Peter Andau, Director of Economic Planning Unit of Sabah Dr. Syed Hussein Wafa, Isak Atan (Private Secretary to Tengku Razaleigh Hamzah), Corporal Said Mohammad (bodyguard to Tun Fuad Stephens) and Captain Ghandhi Nathan (the pilot of the aircraft).

The reason behind the crash is uncertain. Immediately after the accident there were allegations of foul play because of the death of the Chief Minister, but no evidence of such has ever been found.The aircraft was an Australian designed and built Nomad.

(source : Wikipedia)

The Double Six monument was erected on the exact spot of the fatal crash. Before this, it was a water village area then developed to the aparments area and open public park with food kiosk.

GAF_Nomad_N22B_t.jpg

The same type plane that crashed in this tragedy.

Some update pics of new T1 construction. Apologies first for window reflections and restricted spots I could snap from

DSC00022.jpg

DSC00021-1.jpg

DSC00019.jpg

DSC00020.jpg

DSC00018.jpg

And as if right on cue, headline news in the local dailies here this morning !!

From DAILY EXPRESS

THE KOTA KINABALU INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT UPGRADE

dailyexpress1.jpg

dailyexpress3.jpg

dailyexpress2.jpg

From THE BORNEO POST

AIRPORT UPGRADE PROGRESSES NICELY

borneopost1.jpg

borneopost2.jpg

borneopost3.jpg

borneopost4.jpg

From NEW SABAH TIMES

KK's NEW TERMINAL GOES LIVE IN APRIL

newsabahtimes.jpg

here u can see the progress of the land reclamation..from my flight to SDK exactly a month ago..

DSC08046-1.jpg

wow , thanks for the pic fairul :clapping: ......very nice indeed :good:

is that 744 heading the terminal ??

you welcome

nope..thats the A330...

if im not mistaken...Samuel told me he went spotting on the day i board this flight to SDK

Thanks fairul, still seeing the shanty town to the right of the planned runway expansion. I would imagine they will be evacuated shortly? Seems like the building has been progressing faster than the runway expansion.

your welcome..land reclamation can take some time ..in order for the land itself to gain its own strength ...

anyway..cant wait to see the whole project complete..

not sure if i posted this one before..here goes

DSC08016.jpg

took this on my way to BKI's Engineering office and tower..

..... still seeing the shanty town to the right of the planned runway expansion. I would imagine they will be evacuated shortly? .....

Apparently already evicted and flattened, according to this :

dailyexpress3.jpg

WBKI... taken on Christmas day.... happy holiday... :yahoo:

dsc6204ke4.jpg

Quack...quack... funny nose...

dsc6221qk3.jpg

Work Horse Alpha Alpha Bravo

dsc6224tt7.jpg

eric Dragon... eh.. mistake... Dragon Air :D

dsc6233me7.jpg

Royal Brunei....

dsc6236zx9.jpg

main attraction, "Johor One"

dsc6280sk2.jpg

Bonus...

One of our MWings member being "Poison" with Nikon Equipment... hehehe...

dsc6373iv8.jpg

-cheers-

OK thanks. Here goes... 25Feb2006, Asiana HL7597 as OZ7xxx ICN-BKI landing @ RW02

(Chartered flight prior to regular scheduled flights to BKI, 4digit flight no, forgot the exact no.)

Enjoy :drinks:

DSC_1826.jpg

DSC_1830.jpg

DSC_1831.jpg

DSC_1832.jpg

DSC_1833.jpg

Edited by Andi C

Rotating.... HL7597 as OZ7xxx BKI->ICN

DSC_2022.jpg

DSC_2029.jpg

DSC_2035.jpg

DSC_2038.jpg

DSC_2044.jpg

DSC_2049.jpg

I didn't see anyone else with any 'bazookas' (or cameras of anyform) on that day @ Jl. Selangor though :pardon:

Edited by Andi C

Some recent pics. Apologies in advance for poor quality - I only know how to operate these point and shoot thingies. Plus I was walking from one of the remote bays to current terminal at night with heavy luggage on my shoulder !

mh734.jpg

MH 734 resting for the night at BKI ?

aerobridge1.jpg

aerobridge2.jpg

aerobridge3.jpg

Recently installed aerobridges at new T1 under construction. I counted about six, can anyone confirm ?

ke1.jpg

ke2.jpg

Korean visitor

There was also a BI 763 and MH 772 that evening, but I thought better than to try patience of the security chaps standing around !

Care to explain that in everyday english ?!No thanks required, glad to be able to share ! :)

here's the simplest explanation...basically there are two types of aerobridge being used here locally..most of it are manufactured by MASI

1.Apron Drive Smart Aerobridge - these are the flexible types...as u can see from your photos or the photo below ( C27 )..it can move freely at a certain angle and can be adjust to a certain height..both of this criteria will enable the aerobridge to serve multiple types of aircraft...

there are two types of these aerobridge..the hydraulic and the motor glass types...

DSC06041-1.jpg

2.Nose Loader Smart Aerobridge - these are the fixed one...only capable to serve fixed type of aircraft.ie. B737 series and A320 series..normally being used at domestic airports....

for the nose loader aerobridge..there are four types...only the mechanism on how to move the aerobridge differentiate it..

-motor glass apron drive aerobridge - the one with glass aerobridge

-motor steel apron drive aerobridge

-hydraulic glass apron drive aerobridge - the old school type...ala the old SZB aerobridge...

-hydraulic steel apron drive aerobridge

DSC07938.jpg

here's the simplest tip to differentiate the type of aerobridge...the apron drive has two wheels at the tip of the aerobridge..to enable it to move around...while Nose loader is fixed to the ground..no wheels...simple as that :) hope u understand :)

Guys..sorry...i did a mistake at the posting above...( too busy watching the fireworks while posting it last night.hehheh.)

Basically, two types of aerobridges being used locally, manufactured by MASI

(i) Apron Drive Smart Aerobridge.

-Motor Glass Type

-Hydraulic Glass Type - Being used in KLIA

- Motor Steel type- the steel type, ala SZB/SDK

- Hydraulic Steel Type

(the mechanism of the aerobridge differentiate each type)

(ii)Nose Loader Smart Aerobridge

- Hydraulic Steel

- Hydraulic Glass

Sorry for the mistakes i did for the previous post. I've PM the moderators to delete post #324 already.

Edited by Fairul

Happy New Year everyone

first spotting session of the year with a consider-good start. :D

MH51

DSC_9236.jpg

MH3022

DSC_9190.jpg

and some car spotting

DSC_9165.jpg

DSC_9167.jpg

DSC_9214.jpg

enjoy... :drinks:

btw, sorry for the poor quality. :sorry:

Edited by Samuel Chy

:yahoo: wonder boy at bki for new year .....good start of 2008 for bki .... kudos sam for the wonder boy shot :good:

oh yeah .... would like to take this opportunity to wish all bki member a prosperous new year and a great year of spotting .....

next week i will be at bki ...but too bad , i guess all of the member will be busy .... :D

:yahoo: wonder boy at bki for new year .....good start of 2008 for bki .... kudos sam for the wonder boy shot :good:

oh yeah .... would like to take this opportunity to wish all bki member a prosperous new year and a great year of spotting .....

next week i will be at bki ...but too bad , i guess all of the member will be busy .... :D

How i wish i got a Camera at that time. 1st time witnessed RD at Bki. :yahoo: Louis, this is our New Year gift :D Btw, good shots Sam

Edited by Desmond C

How i wish i got a Camera at that time. 1st time witnessed RD at Bki. :yahoo: Louis, this is our New Year gift :D Btw, good shots Sam

in deed is the a great gift for bki ......

after witnessing it desmond, i guess u should know y i call romeo delta as wonder boy :D

:drinks: off to study ...2molo first paper

Edited by Louis L.

Wah.. taiko already post the pic take off ka?? aisey.. now my turn to post the landing.. Hmm.. the CRv look familiar la... :pardon:

dsc7298ch2.jpg

dsc7317rc1.jpg

dsc7330vl2.jpg

What a fung shui for a 1st day of 2008... :good:

thanks a lot for the feedback... hopefully the traffic in future will be more interesting. :) and once again Happy New Year to everyone. :drinks: :drinks: :drinks:

Nice catch, meor. bet anyone who snapped her next to terminal 2 must be counting his/her luck too...

she must be light, or barked hard, or landed in strong wind for her to vacate Bravo :pardon:

Edited by Ian Lim