MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
fauzibaie

Aerial photography

Hi all. I'm very new here.Trying to get some info on aerial photography.

I'm a photographer and "maybe" will get a job to shoot some site in Kedah.

Not mapping or survey job or anything, just site shots for their project.

I heard that special permit/licence required from relevant authority for this job.

The rental for helis or cessna or other aircrafts & what lense to use. I'm using 400d or should I upgrade?

I hope you guys can help me. Thanks in advance. B) :D

I have done something similar in Ulu Padas, Sabah for an Australian technical services company. The permit mentioned need to be submitted to DCA for approval and usually will be taken care by the aircraft operator that you hired. If high resolution vertical aerial/NIR photography is to be carried out, additional approval need to be obtained from Mindef.

IMHO, best is to use helicopter as you can hover over one place for extended period of time. If fixed wing a/c is hired, get the high wing aircraft e.g. Cessna 172 to avoid obstruction of the wing during shooting.

400D is good. If you have IS lens, that's even better. :D During photographing, try to avoid leaning on the window or any part of the airframe as vibration can be transmitted to your hand thus resulting in blurred photograph.

Hope this help. Good luck.

p/s: Lagi best if you can share of the aerial pix later. :)

Edited by kianhong

Hi all. I'm very new here.Trying to get some info on aerial photography.

I'm a photographer and "maybe" will get a job to shoot some site in Kedah.

Not mapping or survey job or anything, just site shots for their project.

I heard that special permit/licence required from relevant authority for this job.

The rental for helis or cessna or other aircrafts & what lense to use. I'm using 400d or should I upgrade?

I hope you guys can help me. Thanks in advance. B) :D

welcome to MW, fauzibaie. hope u'll get what u needed here

thanks guys for the tips and info. I feel at home already. I hope this is the correct place for posting, cos I don't want to offend anybody for posting at the wrong place. More info on the craft's rate or website or anything that will help me. By telling me your experience will help me a lot too. thanks again. :help:

thanks guys for the tips and info. I feel at home already. I hope this is the correct place for posting, cos I don't want to offend anybody for posting at the wrong place. More info on the craft's rate or website or anything that will help me. By telling me your experience will help me a lot too. thanks again. :help:

hmm... the heli that we hired was a Bell JetRanger (9M-LLH) from Layang-Layang for RM2500/hour (2006 rate). We spend about 2.5 hours for the whole journey including about slightly more than an hour over the site. We had the flexibility of directing the pilot to fly closer to certain spot on the ground while a few of us on board did the necessary documentations (i.e. videography, taking photos and sketeches). That's about RM6300 for the whole thing. Permit and flight planning were taken care by Layang-layang, we just need to supply the coordinates of the site.

Not too sure about the rate of hire for fixed wing and heli in Peninsular Malaysia though. :sorry: May a search for "Air charter in Malaysia" in Google or Yahoo may result in something useful. Good luck!

Oh BTW, welcome to MalaysianWings. :)

hmm... the heli that we hired was a Bell JetRanger (9M-LLH) from Layang-Layang for RM2500/hour (2006 rate). We spend about 2.5 hours for the whole journey including about slightly more than an hour over the site. We had the flexibility of directing the pilot to fly closer to certain spot on the ground while a few of us on board did the necessary documentations (i.e. videography, taking photos and sketeches). That's about RM6300 for the whole thing. Permit and flight planning were taken care by Layang-layang, we just need to supply the coordinates of the site.

Not too sure about the rate of hire for fixed wing and heli in Peninsular Malaysia though. :sorry: May a search for "Air charter in Malaysia" in Google or Yahoo may result in something useful. Good luck!

Oh BTW, welcome to MalaysianWings. :)

thanks kianhong. this is the fourth forum i asked and this is the first time i got details and figures in RM. at least i have a rough idea of the budget and the bill. maybe you or your friends can help with the gadgets (cameras/lenses) & the technics to shoot too. a double thank you to bro. :friends:

thanks kianhong. this is the fourth forum i asked and this is the first time i got details and figures in RM. at least i have a rough idea of the budget and the bill. maybe you or your friends can help with the gadgets (cameras/lenses) & the technics to shoot too. a double thank you to bro. :friends:

Ahaha... You are welcomed, Fauzi. Glad that it helps. The other peoples on board with me last time were reps from the mentioned company, not my friends actually. Currently, I am no where in the position (in SG now) to be able to offer any real help. But if you advertise on this forum - A free Heli ride in exchange of photography services. I believe some of our members here would volunteer to help. A lot of our members here are armed with 'superb weapon' for shooting. :rolleyes: Betual tak, member-member sekalian? (Right? Our dear members?) :rofl: :pardon:

Good luck ;)

Thanks again bro. I hope other photogs can help me with more info. Thanks.

Also thank you 'meor' for visiting my fotopages.

Edited by fauzibaie

Hi Fauzi, welcome to MW...

When I was in government services years ago,

used to plan and participated in aerial photoshoots

for our research and forensic investigation works...

I don't know about current procedures, but I guess not much changes...

You do need permits from relevant authorities to carry out aerial shots,

depending on natures of your photography. Basically, if you've to remove/open

the chopper's door to shoot, then that kind of photography requires the permits.

For fixed wing, the camera is mounted to a special opening on the floor board or the likes.

But if you shoot through the windows... the it doesn't fall into aerial photography per se

for requiring permits. However, upon returning, the authorities still has the right

to request you to submit to them your shots, for verification.

I had the exeperience when we were asked to submit all our negatives to the Security Dept,

when we flew over an area outside our submitted plan route. ATC requested our intention,

and the pilot replied for air-photo works. A few weeks later we received the requests,

when our initial submission was only from the approved routes.

As for lenses... I suggest you use the normal, standard lens, 35mm or 50mm would do.

If you shooting obliques, then it'll help t keep things in correct perpective, ie you

can judge distances etc... Wide angles or telephotos will distort things.

And please do the ground works first... ie place markings on the ground for references.

It helps of you know the distances between markings and later on you can do rough measurements

on your photos. It'll help your clients in looking at the global scale.

Hope this'll helps...

and please correct me for any inaccuray there... :pardon:

do we need permit if we use paramotor/paragliding or remote control heli (with camera attached)? i know the altitude will not be sufficient for professional aerial photography but just would like to know

Hi Fauzi, welcome to MW...

As for lenses... I suggest you use the normal, standard lens, 35mm or 50mm would do.

If you shooting obliques, then it'll help t keep things in correct perpective, ie you

can judge distances etc... Wide angles or telephotos will distort things.

Hope this'll helps...

and please correct me for any inaccuray there... :pardon:

Thank you En Norman. I was thinking of using 70-200mm f4 or f2.8 (Ini pun kena pinjam kawan) for the job. For 50mm, they'll have to fly low or they don't have to? If I may ask, what's the usual height (can't remember the term) they usally fly for jobs like this? If you have shots using 50mm, kit lense, wide angle and/or tele lense, can you please post it here or email it to me. Appreciate it a lot. Thank you again for the tips and infos En Norman. :friends:

do we need permit if we use paramotor/paragliding or remote control heli (with camera attached)? i know the altitude will not be sufficient for professional aerial photography but just would like to know

I don't think so... They'll spot you right away if you fly over 'sensitive areas'... :p

Thank you En Norman. I was thinking of using 70-200mm f4 or f2.8 (Ini pun kena pinjam kawan) for the job. For 50mm, they'll have to fly low or they don't have to? If I may ask, what's the usual height (can't remember the term) they usally fly for jobs like this? If you have shots using 50mm, kit lense, wide angle and/or tele lense, can you please post it here or email it to me. Appreciate it a lot. Thank you again for the tips and infos En Norman. :friends:

Depending of type of photographs you want to get...

obliques or verticals, also the resolution you're looking at.

If just for general views, looking at large objects, then it's ok

using normal dslr with telezoom lens and fly at 1000-1500ft.

But if you want to have high resolution pix, where you need the details,

better go for medium or large format cameras... expensive, but so do chopper rentals.

I don't have access to the aerial pix anymore since I left the government service.

Furthermore, they were shot using medium format films for verticals and normal 35mm

film/slides for obliques. Lenses used if not mistaken 50mm-85mm... and we require some

form of scale on the photos, where some measurements could be done.

And please check with DCA/aircraft rental company, for the area that you plan to shoot,

any interference with flight path or not. And in Kedah... air force training areas... :pardon:

I'm curious as to why its so difficult and why the permit is needed?

It is not that difficult...

what you have to do is submit a formal request (normally done by the air charter company.. but you've to state the intentions)

they'll vet through... and most of the time approvals are given, with conditions of course if it involved security areas.

I don't know how 'relax' they are now knowing that info readily available on the net via satellite images and the likes,

but last time, the normal condition was to submit the whole role of film negatives for them to vet through,

and they'll blank out sensitive area, before you can print out the photos.

Sometimes they'll get one of the security officers (normally from the army) to join the photosessions,

and they'll note down the things you do and number of rolls of film used.

But through experiences... it wasn't so much of a problem, except that when we have to venture out of

our planned route (maybe due to new information gathered from the flight), that we've to 'see' them

again and provides justifications for the new information.

Similarly.... you've to go through certain security screening before you can purchase topographical maps

from the Survey Department. :pardon:

En Norman, when you say obliques and verticals, do you mean the angles to shoot the subject. It sounds stupid but if you are not sure, it's better to admit, right En Norman? Obliques - 45 degrees and the other 90 degrees down. Really appriciate the tips and infos earlier and the forthcoming ones. Thank you.

En Norman, when you say obliques and verticals, do you mean the angles to shoot the subject. It sounds stupid but if you are not sure, it's better to admit, right En Norman? Obliques - 45 degrees and the other 90 degrees down. Really appriciate the tips and infos earlier and the forthcoming ones. Thank you.

oooppsss sorry.I meant me En. Norman. Just realise the STUPID MISTAKE. I do apologise again.