MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Edwin P K

MAS Enrich Frequent Flyer Program

1) Like others have mentioned, Enrich redemption is pretty competitive. It's only 63,750 miles oneway in J to Europe. It's a slightly higher than SQ/AA but none of them allows you to book into a revenue bucket, so you are at the mercy of the IM. I would say MH is extremely generous.

2) Miles are a liability to an airline. MH will have to pay partners for their seats when they redeem an award seat, hence it's a liability. When they devalue their miles, it reduces the liability of the airline because more miles is required to redeem a seat.

You might be alone that most people are not willing to pay for MH J short haul. When you start giving it away for free ala US carriers, then no one would want to pay for it. For now, people still want to pay for it because there are values added to it.

3) Well let's see if Christoph Mueller will introduce HBO (hand-baggage only) fares, pay for seat assignments even in Business Class like BA, monetize entertainment, power outlets, removing lounge access for OWS/OWE, buy-on-board, peddling their credit cards on board, advertisement on the tray table etc.

I am confused. If you are redeeming Enrich miles on MH, it doesn't come out from the P, U, X bucket, but rather as Suzanne said, a revenue bucket. So there is *a lot* of award redemptions available for Enrich members on MH metal.

Whilst MH doesn't make it super easy to earn whilst flying in discounted Economy, it is competitive in premium cabins. It's pretty much the industry standard now. And if you are using partner miles for redemption, you have a choice of other airlines, since as you say "MH is a POS".

Nowhere have I suggested that MAS start nickel and dimeing their passengers with buy on board and inflight ads. If you read in proposing the opposite I think they should reward their customers more so as to cut them a break. MAS has plenty of empty seats it should extract value from them via the FFP.

Also to clear your confusion the lack of avalibity I'm reffering to is when spending partner miles. I think the avalibity for Enrich members is alright it's just the pricing that's nuts. MAS is a below industry airline they should charge below industry rates to fill these seats and build customer loyaltyso that people might even choose to travel on them when they aren't the cheapest option.

Nowhere have I suggested that MAS start nickel and dimeing their passengers with buy on board and inflight ads. If you read in proposing the opposite I think they should reward their customers more so as to cut them a break. MAS has plenty of empty seats it should extract value from them via the FFP.

Also to clear your confusion the lack of avalibity I'm reffering to is when spending partner miles. I think the avalibity for Enrich members is alright it's just the pricing that's nuts. MAS is a below industry airline they should charge below industry rates to fill these seats and build customer loyaltyso that people might even choose to travel on them when they aren't the cheapest option.

I don't think MH's Enrich pricing is nuts.

Saver level award points required for KUL-Europe one-way in J (without discounts of any sort):

MH: 75k

CX: 70k (or 120k for RT)

SQ: 60-80k depending on destination, but mostly 80k

TG: 89k (or 130k for RT)

BA: 75k off-peak or 90k peak

AA: 52.5k

UA: 85k

DL: whatever computer spits out

If you ask me, they are competitive. And Enrich award on MH metal doesn't depend whether there is U or I available. Sure, MH seats might lose out to CX or SQ, but if I want to redeem a seat for travel in July/August on MH, I know I will be able to get one. Good luck getting U on CX or I on SQ in the summer.

Edited by Craig

I don't think MH's Enrich pricing is nuts.

Saver level award points required for KUL-Europe one-way in J (without discounts of any sort):

MH: 75k

CX: 70k (or 120k for RT)

SQ: 60-80k depending on destination, but mostly 80k

TG: 89k (or 130k for RT)

BA: 75k off-peak or 90k peak

AA: 52.5k

UA: 85k

DL: whatever computer spits out

If you ask me, they are competitive. And Enrich award on MH metal doesn't depend whether there is U or I available. Sure, MH seats might lose out to CX or SQ, but if I want to redeem a seat for travel in July/August on MH, I know I will be able to get one. Good luck getting U on CX or I on SQ in the summer.

I think our definitions of value must be quite different. The rates to destinations across the world are bad. But lets say we just look at Europe and use the rates you have illustrated above. AA is ofcourse the best and does not charge fuel except on BA. The UA rate also doesnt come with any fuel, delta will charge 80k and also won't charge fuel. Avalibility even in the summer is decent on their partner airlines. Even if we look at the other Asian FFP the rates return are lower than MAS and these airlines like Sq and TG offer better products than MAS does to Europe.

I reiterate my point The MAS program is unrewarding especially when you consider the state MAS is in. They offer a product even on the soon to be extinct A380 that's is beneth their rivals and their load factors are way worse than their rivals. Therefore they should offer a program that is better than their rivals not even on par with them in order to garner business. However they have gone in the opposite direction and devalued their scheme makeing it worse than the competiton right at the point when delivering the benefits cost them even less as these seats will be flown empty anyway. To me this seems rather foolish.

In 2012, United sold $5.1 billion in frequent flier miles compared to $25.8 billion in actual airfare revenue, and there has been talk of airlines spinning off their mileage arms as separate companies. Better yet, airlines get a lot of that money for nothing! For instance, United expects that 25% of the miles that it is selling will never be redeemed.

http://fortune.com/2014/10/01/airline-loyalty-programs/

If MH management was half as smart as some claimed; MH need not bankrupt and resurrected a few times in the last 20 years.

Although ticket redemption and upgrade is more easily available on MH but surcharge on ticket redemption could cost more than promo fare by other airline and redemption for upgrade need higher fare class. Personally find it cheaper to upgrade by MHupgrade.

This is exactly my point. A well run and attractive program can be a huge asset and money spinner for an airline it also incentivizes people to fly and remain loyal!

2) Miles are a liability to an airline. MH will have to pay partners for their seats when they redeem an award seat, hence it's a liability. When they devalue their miles, it reduces the liability of the airline because more miles is required to redeem a seat.

You might be alone that most people are not willing to pay for MH J short haul. When you start giving it away for free ala US carriers, then no one would want to pay for it. For now, people still want to pay for it because there are values added to it.

And if you are using partner miles for redemption, you have a choice of other airlines, since as you say "MH is a POS".

I said above mile represent a liability when they are redeemed the liability is reduced ofcourse another way to lower the liability is to devalue them, but that obviously would not be pleasing to members especially at time when you really need their goodwill.

And no my point is you grant the upgrades on short haul to your most loyal customers in exchange for their loyalty there. By incentivizing them to fly with you. These upgrades will clear closer to travel so those who want a confirmed J seat will still buy it while and the most loyal travelers can enjoy a perk.

And yes I do have a choice in airlines and seldom chose MAS this thread is not about my flying preference it's about the fact that MAS could run their program better to attract more customers and make money so that the poor Malaysian tax payer can stop subsidizing this POS

This is exactly my point. A well run and attractive program can be a huge asset and money spinner for an airline it also incentivizes people to fly and remain loyal!

The miles revenue that US3 airlines are reaping comes from selling to partners on the ground. Indeed the trend in the US nowadays sees more miles being earned on the ground than in the air. There's no incentive for people to fly & remain loyal anymore hence the devaluation.

The quicker MH converts to a value based system as opposed to the current system the better. Why should an infrequent flyer flying KUL-LHR earn as much points as a frequent J flyer on KUL-PEN?

I think our definitions of value must be quite different. The rates to destinations across the world are bad. But lets say we just look at Europe and use the rates you have illustrated above. AA is ofcourse the best and does not charge fuel except on BA. The UA rate also doesnt come with any fuel, delta will charge 80k and also won't charge fuel. Avalibility even in the summer is decent on their partner airlines. Even if we look at the other Asian FFP the rates return are lower than MAS and these airlines like Sq and TG offer better products than MAS does to Europe.

I reiterate my point The MAS program is unrewarding especially when you consider the state MAS is in. They offer a product even on the soon to be extinct A380 that's is beneth their rivals and their load factors are way worse than their rivals. Therefore they should offer a program that is better than their rivals not even on par with them in order to garner business. However they have gone in the opposite direction and devalued their scheme makeing it worse than the competiton right at the point when delivering the benefits cost them even less as these seats will be flown empty anyway. To me this seems rather foolish.

How long do you think AA/CX/SQ rates will last for? AA is just waiting for US/AA integration to go through before devaluing their miles. They have been giving away so many miles this year! UA/DL/MH devalued ahead of AA and the rest, but I would assume AA devaluation is coming soon. So is CX - there have been talks of limiting premium cabin to partners and increasing redemption as well. If it's anything, CX is taking cues from QF for Asiamiles. And if CX follows QF, goodbye F/J awards from partner members.

How is it unrewarding when it is one of the, if not the only, airline that books its own saver award into a separate booking class compared to partners? I am not saying it's extremely competitive, but when you look at it whole, it's competitive.

I said above mile represent a liability when they are redeemed the liability is reduced ofcourse another way to lower the liability is to devalue them, but that obviously would not be pleasing to members especially at time when you really need their goodwill.

And no my point is you grant the upgrades on short haul to your most loyal customers in exchange for their loyalty there. By incentivizing them to fly with you. These upgrades will clear closer to travel so those who want a confirmed J seat will still buy it while and the most loyal travelers can enjoy a perk.

And yes I do have a choice in airlines and seldom chose MAS this thread is not about my flying preference it's about the fact that MAS could run their program better to attract more customers and make money so that the poor Malaysian tax payer can stop subsidizing this POS

I wouldn't call UA Mileage Plus a well run and attractive program. It used to be, but since the merger, it's downright awful. It is a money spinner, but when UA sold too many miles to Chase, they had to devalue their chart because there were too many unclaimed miles.

Mileage is a liability to an airline. As I've mentioned above, MH will have to pay partners when MH members redeem an award. When MH issue miles, it is a future cost to MH (and when they devalue their chart, it indirectly reduces their liabilities).

Edited by Craig

The miles revenue that US3 airlines are reaping comes from selling to partners on the ground. Indeed the trend in the US nowadays sees more miles being earned on the ground than in the air. There's no incentive for people to fly & remain loyal anymore hence the devaluation.

The quicker MH converts to a value based system as opposed to the current system the better. Why should an infrequent flyer flying KUL-LHR earn as much points as a frequent J flyer on KUL-PEN?

I believe there are way to reward both. You can bonus j travel but it doesn't have to be at the expense of Y especially on the current climate. In the US there is now less supply of empty seats to give to people with miles. That is not the case with MAS and at least for now it could try and turn this weakness into a strength for the FFP.

Also would make sense for MAS to have more partners on the ground too why not.

There are status benefits that MAS can offer to value their frequent and higher fare paying clientele district from just Mileage.

Guys, do you know if it is possible to change to an earlier flight if i am holding an Enrich redemption ticket with an onward connecting flight at the first destination ?

I intend to redeem a one-way ticket from KUL to NRT in September with a transit at BKI.

MH2626 22:10 00:50+1 KUL-BKI

MH080 07:40+1 14:20 BKI-NRT

Is it possible if i want to change to an earlier flight from KUL to BKI ? Say i want to change to an afternoon flight at no extra charge ? Thanks.

Guys, do you know if it is possible to change to an earlier flight if i am holding an Enrich redemption ticket with an onward connecting flight at the first destination ?

I intend to redeem a one-way ticket from KUL to NRT in September with a transit at BKI.

MH2626 22:10 00:50+1 KUL-BKI

MH080 07:40+1 14:20 BKI-NRT

Is it possible if i want to change to an earlier flight from KUL to BKI ? Say i want to change to an afternoon flight at no extra charge ? Thanks.

A change is possible for USD20 I believe.

20 is correct - and naturally, as long as the requisite RBD (which in Enrich is tricky - if a lower one is available with lower miles, you won't be getting a refund) is available too.

Yesterday during check in on a flight from KWI to DOH on QR, the check in agent told me the following exact words:

" Sorry sir, you maybe a Gold in Malaysia Airlines, but in QR system, you are just a normal card holder to get the miles". With this assumption, no lounge access and no priority luggage tagging.

I tried telling her about the OneWorld..bla bla bla, but she kept referring to the system. So, I gave up..haha

System screw up I supposed... or could be because I check in online. I had no problem in Doha, but not sure why this happens in KWI.

What surprises me is the information that the check in agent has, saying that Gold in MH is nothing in QR :shok: . I wonder if Platinum is the same as well...haha

20 is correct - and naturally, as long as the requisite RBD (which in Enrich is tricky - if a lower one is available with lower miles, you won't be getting a refund) is available too.

Thank you Ashley and Suzanne. I was hoping they can do that at no charge :p Anyway, thanks again. Appreciate it.

Edited by Isaac

Enrich miles is MH's liability, will current Enrich miles migrate to MAB at a discount or if at all?

Received an email, service continue as normal.

[q]Dear Mr. XXXXXX,

It is a pleasure to write to you with the latest news of our restructuring programme as it nears completion. This programme was initiated last August to create a profitable and financially sustainable national carrier.

We are happy to report that we continue to make good progress. It was announced today that MAS’s sole shareholder, Khazanah Nasional Berhad (Khazanah), has appointed Dato’ Mohammad Faiz Azmi of PricewaterhouseCoopers, as Administrator of MAS. The administration is a voluntary undertaking by Khazanah, Malaysia’s sovereign fund, and is backed by the Malaysian Airline System Berhad (Administration) Act 2015 (MAS Act) enacted by the Government of Malaysia.

This appointment does not affect our daily operations or existing reservations. You can continue to make reservations in full confidence that our flights and schedules are operating as normal, that tickets sold will be honoured, and that our Enrich frequent flyer programme continues with Miles and status preserved.

Under the MAS Act, the Administrator plays a critical role, which includes facilitating the transfer of selected assets and liabilities to a new company, MAB, which will replace MAS as Malaysia’s new national carrier. The appointment of the Administrator reflects the continuing and considerable effort towards the beginning of a new airline, MAB. We intend the transition to MAB to be seamless with no interruption to airline services.

MAB will become operational on 1 September 2015, with a new business model and a new management team, which will be led by Christoph Mueller, CEO of Malaysia Airlines and CEO-Designate of the new airline. These upcoming changes will not have an impact on flights, schedules, or the Enrich programme.

Our relationship with you is extremely important to us. I will keep you updated as we progress through this critical phase. In the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions or concerns.

Thank you for your continued support.

Sincerely,

Khairul Nisa Ismail

Head of Enrich Programme[/q]

I believe Enrich will become one of the 10+ subsidiaries that CM wanted to create. Good luck in reporting a profit or you will be slashed off German style.

Hi all,

I have a two questions about Enrich which I would like to ask all the Enrich gurus here.

Q1)

Let's say I bought a SIN-KUL-BKK flight:

SIN-KUL is Q class

KUL-BKK is K class

Overall fare basis is QBC14DSG

I know that I will earn 25% on my SIN-KUL leg for Q class.

May I ask, will I learn 100% miles on my KUL-BKK as per K class (which is printed on my boarding pass as well) or will I learn 25% miles as per Q Fare Basis overall?

Q2)

On another completely different trip but same route SIN-KUL-BKK:

SIN-KUL - marketed as MH5732, operated by Silkair

KUL-BKK on MH

Ticketed by MH with MH e-ticket number of 232xxxxxxxxxx

May I ask, will I earn points and sector in my Enrich account for the SIN-KUL code share flight?

I thank everyone in advance for the kind help!

Hi all,

I have a two questions about Enrich which I would like to ask all the Enrich gurus here.

Q1)

Let's say I bought a SIN-KUL-BKK flight:

SIN-KUL is Q class

KUL-BKK is K class

Overall fare basis is QBC14DSG

I know that I will earn 25% on my SIN-KUL leg for Q class.

May I ask, will I learn 100% miles on my KUL-BKK as per K class (which is printed on my boarding pass as well) or will I learn 25% miles as per Q Fare Basis overall?

Q2)

On another completely different trip but same route SIN-KUL-BKK:

SIN-KUL - marketed as MH5732, operated by Silkair

KUL-BKK on MH

Ticketed by MH with MH e-ticket number of 232xxxxxxxxxx

May I ask, will I earn points and sector in my Enrich account for the SIN-KUL code share flight?

I thank everyone in advance for the kind help!

I'm no Enrich guru, but basically,

Q1) Yes, as per K class for KUL-BKK

Q2) Yes

Hope that helps. :)

Q2) Yes

Thanks Ashley! I'll give them a ring and hopefully they'll be able to help rectify these missing miles.

Q2) Yes

Reporting back - Called on two separate occasions and both CSI mentioned that miles will be based on Fare Basis, in my case Q with only 25% accrual. :( I asked if there's a change of policy recently which he denied.

MH5xxxx flight will need 2-3 weeks of processing :S

Just a question to all Enrich Gold members. If you are at Bangkok Survarnabhumi Airport, which airport lounge would you recommend?

From the One World Lounge Access, there are the following:-

British Airways Lounge

Cathay Pacific Lounge

Japan Airlines Sakura Lounge

Louis Tavern First / Business Lounge - For Malaysia Airlines operated by 3rd party.

Which lounge would you recommend and are the lounge accessible with Enrich Gold if I am travelling on Economy? First time in Bangkok after so many years and am not sure of which lounge.

Thanks

Just a question to all Enrich Gold members. If you are at Bangkok Survarnabhumi Airport, which airport lounge would you recommend?

From the One World Lounge Access, there are the following:-

British Airways Lounge

Cathay Pacific Lounge

Japan Airlines Sakura Lounge

Louis Tavern First / Business Lounge - For Malaysia Airlines operated by 3rd party.

Which lounge would you recommend and are the lounge accessible with Enrich Gold if I am travelling on Economy? First time in Bangkok after so many years and am not sure of which lounge.

Thanks

This question is SUPER easy to answer.

I visited CX's new BKK lounge on opening day (9 June) and 3rd day of business (11 June). It's the best. MH will give you louis Tavern but go to the CX lounge instead. BA = Tutup. JL - not open all the time. CX has done up the lounge quite tastefully.

Anybody wanna see pics? :p

Edit : in hindsight - if you're after a shower or ice cream or weird Thai snacks - Louis tavern is better. They have stuff that does appeal to Asians , less so to Mat sallehs. They're pretty close to each other anyway. Try both.

Edited by Suzanne Goh

This question is SUPER easy to answer.

I visited CX's new BKK lounge on opening day (9 June) and 3rd day of business (11 June). It's the best. MH will give you louis Tavern but go to the CX lounge instead. BA = Tutup. JL - not open all the time. CX has done up the lounge quite tastefully.

Anybody wanna see pics? :p

Edit : in hindsight - if you're after a shower or ice cream or weird Thai snacks - Louis tavern is better. They have stuff that does appeal to Asians , less so to Mat sallehs. They're pretty close to each other anyway. Try both.

On my last 2 visit to Louis tavern, they served Nestlé ice cream only :( previously, they served blue bunny ice cream.