MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Edwin P K

MAS Enrich Frequent Flyer Program

Fuel surcharges on MH ARE applicable on Enrich redemption upgrades sadly though.

Interesting... how does that work? I assume you just need to pay the difference in fuel surcharges/other charges between J and Y cabin?

Interesting... how does that work? I assume you just need to pay the difference in fuel surcharges/other charges between J and Y cabin?

Yes - it is collected as a YQ ADC when your original revenue ticket is reissued to the award upgrade. Having said that... I've seen some cases where it was "let go"

How would that work or calculated if the fuel surcharge in the revenue ticket is already priced-in? MH doesn't seem to charge this as a separate item for departures from a number of stations. How is the differential calculated then?

How would that work or calculated if the fuel surcharge in the revenue ticket is already priced-in? MH doesn't seem to charge this as a separate item for departures from a number of stations. How is the differential calculated then?

Good question - i haven't tried an upgrade since they priced the YQ inside the fare. I am guessing what they do is they price out an Award J vs an Award Y and just look at the tax portion.

Out of topic but does can I ask - is there a regular time of the year when ENrich sales are held? I need to make a trip to Europe in early June and not sure if I should wait for the next sale to commence (and whether they will cover the June period) or just book straight away.

ANy advice?

Out of topic but does can I ask - is there a regular time of the year when ENrich sales are held? I need to make a trip to Europe in early June and not sure if I should wait for the next sale to commence (and whether they will cover the June period) or just book straight away.

ANy advice?

Usually in Dec... i managed to redeem ticket to LHR/CGD only 15,000 points

ANy advice?

I would advise to wait until the World of Riches for the quarter of the date that you will be travelling starts before making the redemption.

If you are going to Europe in early June, do the redemption from 1 May 2014 onwards, when the World of Riches for the quarter of 1 May 2014 until 31 July 2014 is published. There will be a high possibility that the WoR will be late by a week or 2, so please wait until it is published before making your redemption. This is because, any discount on redemption will be announced and applied corresponding to the peiod of the WoR.

Do not worry about doing Enrich redemption until the very last minute. Todate, I have performed 8 redemptions with Enrich, all of which at exactly 24 hours or lesser prior to departure time (my last 2 redemptions were done 12 hours prior to departure) and you will be guaranteed a seat.

Have a few questions I want to ask to Enrich sifus:

1. Do i need to maintain the 25,000 enrich points to reach silver, or once i reach that (and the number of elite sectors traveled) i am automatically a Silver member?

2. I presume that redeemed flights dont accrue miles? (wishful thinking haha)

3. What has been your lowest redeemed points for the furthest distance ratio?

Thanks.

1. If you are a Blue and has reached 25,000 qualifying miles for the first time, you will be automatically promoted to Silver. To get 25,000 qualifying miles is a bit tricky as if I am not mistaken, miles from credit card purchases, hotel accommodation etc are not counted. All the 25,000 qualifying miles to advance to Silver has to be accumulated from flying.

Also, to qualify as a Silver is by EITHER earned 25,000 qualifying miles OR accumulating 30 Elite sectors. It's one or another, not both. Actually I think, the easiest and probably cheapest way to qualify to Silver is by flying KUL-SIN in J on 15 sectors which means 7.5 return trips as by doing this alone, will qualify one as a Silver with 30 Elite sectors.

2. You can not earn miles from redemption flights, so as under several other circumstances such as travelling on staff ticket.

3. My record would be 35,000 Enrich miles for a one way KUL-LHR in First Class. During that period, Enrich held a 50% discount on all classes and back then a one way ticket in F to Europe only cost 70,000 miles. http://www.malaysianwings.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=13689

If your parameter is the furthest distance over the miles redeemed ratio, any period in the past where Enrich held a 30% redemption discount on TPE-LAX should top this, followed by LHR, CDG, AMS, FRA and CPT, in that order.

Actually I think, the easiest and probably cheapest way to qualify to Silver is by flying KUL-SIN in J on 15 sectors which means 7.5 return trips as by doing this alone, will qualify one as a Silver with 30 Elite sectors.

SIN is rather expensive in J. The cheapest you can find on occasion are some domestics which i've seen for RM 300 all in, or sometimes to KNO. Those will also give you two credit sectors per leg.

Once you have achieved the required threshold to attain elite status (say 25k to be a Silver), you can use those 25k miles for redemption...and you will still remain as a Silver until the next qualifying period. In fact, you can have a Zero balance and still be a Platinum...

Balance in account at any one time doesn't influence your Elite status once such status has been achieved.

And just to be clear, using your example...if you have used up that initial 25k to the max.. (so balance is now zero) ...but then later accrue another say 25k new miles within the current qualifying period, you will be a Gold.

Here is another question - do I need to keep those 25,000 miles in my account until I reach Silver, or I can use my points to redeem flights in the meantime?

There are two counters: Elite qualifying miles or segments (We call those EQM/EQS) and the enrich miles you can use to redeem (we call those RDM)

Elite qualifying miles or segments are only used to count for qualification - they are reset every year, and can ONLY be earned by flying. Hit 25K, you get promoted.

RDM is also awarded when you fly, or shop in Temptations, or transfer from Credit Cards/Hotels. Those are NOT reset - although they will expire at the end of several years.

RDM is what you use to redeem tickets - you can have a balance of 0 (by spending it) but your qualifying miles are not removed until the end of the year.

Once you have achieved the required threshold to attain elite status (say 25k to be a Silver), you can use those 25k miles for redemption...and you will still remain as a Silver until the next qualifying period. In fact, you can have a Zero balance and still be a Platinum...

Balance in account at any one time doesn't influence your Elite status once such status has been achieved.

And just to be clear, using your example...if you have used up that initial 25k to the max.. (so balance is now zero) ...but then later accrue another say 25k new miles within the current qualifying period, you will be a Gold.

There are two counters: Elite qualifying miles or segments (We call those EQM/EQS) and the enrich miles you can use to redeem (we call those RDM)

Elite qualifying miles or segments are only used to count for qualification - they are reset every year, and can ONLY be earned by flying. Hit 25K, you get promoted.

RDM is also awarded when you fly, or shop in Temptations, or transfer from Credit Cards/Hotels. Those are NOT reset - although they will expire at the end of several years.

RDM is what you use to redeem tickets - you can have a balance of 0 (by spending it) but your qualifying miles are not removed until the end of the year.

Ah.

So RDM =/= Elite miles?

And using RDM does not effect my road to Elite?

Hmm if that is the case i still have a looong way to go.

Thanks for the information!

p.s. So redeeming a Y is not advisable now? better head for J?

Ah.

So RDM =/= Elite miles?

And using RDM does not effect my road to Elite?

Hmm if that is the case i still have a looong way to go.

Thanks for the information!

p.s. So redeeming a Y is not advisable now? better head for J?

Correct - RDM is not the same elite miles. RDM is to spend. Elite miles to show pangkat.

Redeeming in Y is generally not a good idea because MH economy fares are usually quite competitive. The only time I would do that is if the economy paid fare for the particular route and day are very expensive (because only high bucket e.g. Y,B,H is available, and no business class is available and you must go) or if the enrich miles are expiring tomorrow and you don't have enough time to top it up. Otherwise J is always better.

In fact, in most other programs, F is always the best value to aim for. Enrich however, has a different pricing strategy. The gap in miles required between Y and J is much more reasonable than the gap in miles required between J and F - so with Enrich, redeeming in J is best. Besides, the only place to try F is is on LHR/CDG now, so it's a rarity anyway.

SIN is rather expensive in J. The cheapest you can find on occasion are some domestics which i've seen for RM 300 all in, or sometimes to KNO. Those will also give you two credit sectors per leg.

Or if one has the time, flying a whole bunch of RM75 intra-peninsular hops in Y! Those promos seem to be more common than the J sales.

IMO MH*S isn't worth going the extra mile for. (Pun not intended)

The only potentially useful benefits I can think of are the tier bonus on miles earned through flying and J counter check-in. Perhaps some people might value the 5kg extra baggage allowance but the basic allowance is already very generous.

I was a Silver before and I think the privilege that I treasured the most is the Golden Lounge program where I paid about RM 1,200 annually for an unlimited access into Golden Lounges worldwide. Especially beneficial if you travel a lot but only in Y.

I was a Silver before and I think the privilege that I treasured the most is the Golden Lounge program where I paid about RM 1,200 annually for an unlimited access into Golden Lounges worldwide. Especially beneficial if you travel a lot but only in Y.

QR silver member is entitled to lounge access. As QR and MH are in OW, it is worthwhile to consider QR ffp, beside find it easier to earn miles on QR.

For Rm1,200 per year, believe it is better to pay for priority pass.

Edited by KK Lee

QR silver member is entitled to lounge access. As QR and MH are in OW, it is worthwhile to consider QR ffp, beside find it easier to earn miles on QR.

For Rm1,200 per year, believe it is better to pay for priority pass.

QR silver is only ruby - the benefit of lounge access you're referring to is on QR and in DOH only. To access an MH lounge would require Sapphire or above.

Oneworld has a very funny way of aligning names - at the end of the day - the gemstone colour is the one that counts.

Example: AA Gold = Ruby (lowest), MH Gold = Sapphire, BA Gold = Emerald. All gold in name, but not the same in benefits.

QR silver is only ruby - the benefit of lounge access you're referring to is on QR and in DOH only. To access an MH lounge would require Sapphire or above.

Yes, lounge access on QR flight only.

QR ffp allow family members to pool miles, make it easier for miles redemption.

On MH, one need to travel J and full fare EY regularly to qualify to gold.

Can we redeem Enrich miles for other OW carriers?

Yes, but the value is horrible. High mileage requirements, in addition to the fuel surcharges don't make it worthwhile.

On MH, one need to travel J and full fare EY regularly to qualify to gold.

You can qualify for Enrich Gold on Economy only (not necessarily full fare), I have achieved this for the past few years. But, your comment of regularly is the key!

If i buy an economy ticket, then use my points to upgrade to business class, would i still earn points for the economy class that I bought? Or is it automatically forfeited?

If i buy an economy ticket, then use my points to upgrade to business class, would i still earn points for the economy class that I bought? Or is it automatically forfeited?

You will still earn points based on the Y class