MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
adrianqcs

Firefly to operate from 3 more domestic hubs

Rozhan, this RM80 price u get through callcentre or website?

Yes, callcentre quote on same day I made enquiries with FY.

Go NEW, go JET, go AK he he!

I believe much sooner this Fireflyz PEN-SZB and vice versa twice daily operations will become a three ad eventually four times daily... especially when the ATR comes to Malaysia.

BTW, what other possible Fireflyz routes, especially those from JHB, SZB and BKI?

And will Malacca and Ipoh be included?

Major airports in the USA (e.g. LAX) and Europe (e.g. AMS, FRA) which have many times traffic volume than KUL permit turboprop operation. There is no doubt turboprop may be slower but take shorter time on final approach and departure. It is a ATC laughing joke that turboprop and jet can’t operate into the same airport especially KUL is not operating at maximum capacity.

In 1998, when KLIA was in operation, those that have strong cable to the top was exempted from moving to KLIA. Hence, ‘turboprop is too slow’ for KUL was given for Berjaya Air to remain at SZB.

Due to locality, SZB is always the preferred airport. Overloading Federal highway may be the case before NKVE but not anymore.

If FY schedule meet pax demand, it will do well from SZB. However, as FY management is from MH, their capability is remain to be seen.

:drinks:

In view that Firefly is going to use SZB, does anyone know what Air Asia's reaction is to this? I can't see Tony Fernandes sitting there quietly and let Firefly eat their market share for Penang sector. I think demand for SZB - Penang will be overwhelming.

22-10-2007: Victory for MAS with Firefly to fly from 4 hubs

THE government’s approval for Malaysian Airline System Bhd’s (MAS) subsidiary Firefly to operate domestic and international networks from four hubs in the country is seen as a victory given that it could now fly to any destination it desires, said OSK Investment Research.

With the government approval, Firefly will expand its services to serve from its existing Penang hub, Subang, Johor Bahru and Kota Kinabalu.

The research house said: “It would appear as if MAS has won this round of political lobbying given the government’s earlier decision to allow it to fly out of Subang only to destinations not served by either MAS or AirAsia.

“Given that AirAsia flies five times daily to Penang while MAS flies 13 times daily, we believe Firefly is now free to fly to any destination it desires.

“As to the question of the rationale for such a move by the government, we believe AirAsia will probably cry foul over this issue and raise the duopoly issue on the Kuala Lumpur-Changi route again.”

OSK Research said the 12 domestic and 13 regional routes to be flown out of Subang were larger than what it had earlier expected, adding that it had anticipated Firefly to reach Kuantan, Kuala Terengganu, Kota Bharu, Penang, Langkawi, Johor Bahru and Alor Star from Subang.

“But with the larger-than-expected number of routes, it may well fly to the East Malaysian states of Sabah and Sarawak. The same goes for its larger-than-expected number of routes for Johor Bahru.

“As for the international routes, Firefly may well serve the destinations of Phuket, Koh Samui, Medan, Padang and Batam from Subang as well,” it said.

OSK Research said to serve the larger-than-expected network, Firefly is ordering more planes that originally announced, from a conditional order of 10 ATR72s to 20 ATR72s, each at US$18.3 million (RM62.22 million).

The research house said it believed that the demand for Firefly flights from Subang will be very strong from Klang Valley passengers, especially once it starts flying more routes to Johor Bahru and the East Coast states.

“The greater-than-expected routes for Firefly lead us to revise up our FY08 domestic available seat kilometres (ASK) numbers for MAS and our net profit forecasts by 3%. Given that turbo-prop planes are more fuel efficient, the increase in ASK will not be matched by a similar increase in fuel price. “This increases our fair value to RM6.40 from RM6.20 previously,” it said.

The research house however bumped down yields for AirAsia in FY08 by 0.5%, thereby reducing net profit estimates for the low-cost carrier by 1.5%, and dropping its fair value to RM1.92 from RM1.99.

OSK Research maintained its Buy and Neutral recommendations on MAS and AirAsia respectively.

http://www.theedgedaily.com/cms/content.js...ebe660-2b7fcef8

The biggest winner of course is the traveling public who have the 2nd options on which KL airport they want to depart/arrive.

agree it will only benefit the travelling public...

but i got one question...how long it will take for the atr to fly from SZB to BKI???

an a320 or 737 will take around 2.5 hours...so i guess an atr will take even longer

ATR didn't mention about ATR range at their website.

Q400 on the other hand, can do SZB-BKI direct within 2.5 to 3 hours duration with creme de la creme turboprop PW150A engines. Luv 'em! And toilet is absolutely available onboard for certain pax who had suffered without the loo back in the early Q series. :rolleyes:

q400range2uj8.jpg

Oppss....got over the top with it. Too bad FY/MH isn't buying them. Sigh :angry:

Edited by Adrian M

Q400 on the other hand, can do SZB-BKI direct within 2.5 to 3 hours duration with creme de la creme turboprop PW150A engines. Luv 'em! And toilet is absolutely available onboard for certain pax who had suffered without the loo back in the early Q series.

Ahaha... I wonder who that pax is!! When you gotta go, you gotta go!! :p

it's possible for ATR72-500 to fly nonstop from SZB-BKI???

The Distance between SZB-BKI = 885 nm (i get from Great Circle Mapper)

The max range ATR72-500 = 890 nm

anybody can confirm the data above?

Wow, with that margin of error, I think I best chicken out :)

it's possible for ATR72-500 to fly nonstop from SZB-BKI???

anybody can confirm the data above?

Could try szb-kua-bki return with atr72. That might work. Not sure if you could refuel at kua.

Need to check with the pilots flying to kua if refueling is possible.

i think maybe FY will use F50 to fly nonstop from SZB-BKI

Foker50 Max Range = 2,055 km

ATR72-500 Max Range =1,685 km

if not mistaken F50 need around 4 hours on SZB-BKI rite?

if not mistaken F50 need around 4 hours on SZB-BKI rite?

SZB-BKI nonstop 4hrs 30 mins. They have to fly down via Singapore and Kuching then to BKI. Unless they update the aircraft with IRS.

SZB-BKI nonstop 4hrs 30 mins. They have to fly down via Singapore and Kuching then to BKI. Unless they update the aircraft with IRS.

you mean F50 can't cross the South East China Sea without passing Singapore due to the limited navigation equipment on the plane ?

Question; Will FY will inaugrate flight to Malacca from SZB/JHB?

If yes,that's a relief for my friend,which currently studying in MMU Malacca.

went to SZB today..the guys there busy doing their final preparation for the first flight...banners everywhere inside T3...FYI...Firefly's F50 will park at Bay 35 T3