MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
KC Sim

SIA Accepts First A380

Fantastic flight on her today! A little too tired to post pics now.. perhaps tomorrow... watch out, a video of the takeoff coming soon!

Just a quick shot of the EY cabin

9vska-cabin.jpg

Edited by tsentsan

Guys,

See link below:

http://www.a380.singaporeair.com/content/g...ges_arrive.html

http://www.a380.singaporeair.com/content/n...rive/index.html

Congrats to KC and Andrew for their pictures on the official SQ website !!! :drinks: :drinks: :drinks:

Ladies and gents, here are the pics I promised. Please bear with the poor quality compared to KC and Andrew's shots. Hehe. DSLR not in the shed yet ma~

Snap snap whilst having breakfast at Krispy Kreme. Weather was BAAAADD.

p1030570smallpi4.jpg

On the way back to office.

p1030573smallke7.jpg

And then business as usual for me whilst my boss went to the breakfast and tour onboard the mammoth.

Around 12pm, she was towed from the GA apron (near end of Rwy 25) to the pax terminal for preparation for the flight back to Singapore as SQ380. ETD was 4pm at that stage. Dark clouds made way for sunshine, giving us good light to watch her strolling past our windows.

Believe that is a Toll tow tug.

p1030574smallva6.jpg

p1030575smallwu9.jpg

Full length...

p1030576smalles9.jpg

Look how small the AFP patrol car is next to her!!

p1030577smallig8.jpg

Almost gone...

p1030582smallyd1.jpg

A380 tailfin with Sydney's ATC tower.

p1030584smalljn2.jpg

Was told the SQ380 has delayed its departure from 4pm to 5.30pm due to incoming electrical storms from the west. There was heavy downpour until 5.40pm and then we were told she's "ready to go".

It wasn't until 6.05pm that we saw her moving down Taxiway Alpha for departure to SIN. Almost nil light.

p1030596smallvu4.jpg

Rotation point was beyond the line of sight from my office, about 3/4 down Rwy34L, so nothing captured in my camera. :p

Plenty of chance to catch her again as SQ219 SINSYD and SQ220 SYDSIN beginning Sunday October 28th.

Hope you've enjoyed the pics~

Hi all,

thanks for all those shots of 9V-SKA arriving and departing SYD - something which I could not capture as I was on the other side of the plane (ie. inside it rather than outside). I still don't know which side is the better side except that I found the SIN-SYD flight a magical experience of the tallest order. Before I go into that, I would like to say how much I wish I had the opportunity to meet Tony SK (but could not as we seem to be running in different directions).

I need some time to process the pictures and will therefore for now share my experience in words.

SQ380/25Oct - SIN-SYD

The festivity began right at the check-in counter where huge billboards graced the vicinity, passengers were dressed to express their personal take on this historic flight, aviation enthusiasts from different parts of the world met, special A380 postage stamps featuring each passenger were presented, the media descended on their choice of passengers - and there were certain hot favourites. Over at the gate, the festivity was already in full-swing. There were speeches, a cheque presentation to the Community Chest whose Chairperson Ms Jenny Chua had the audience rolling with laughter, photo opportunities etc and finally when the flight was ready for boarding, Mr Julian Hayward (who bid USD100,380 for a pair of one-way Suite tickets) was invited to be the first to board.

Many were instantly wowed by the cabin and we were soon ready to push back. And at that point, the sun peeped out! We pushed back, taxied to runway 20C (a couple of B777s and a SilkAir A320 were seemingly giving way to us and all along the way, ground staff stood in awe as the giant A380 taxied past - a scene repeated in Sydney) and when we reached the runway, there was absolutely no time wasted as the power came on ever so very powerfully, smoothly and quietly. A round of applause rang out and the plane surged southwards - passing the fire station where press photographers (including Andrew Hunt) were capturing the event. The South Cross bridge, SATS inflight catering centre and Budget Termial shot past on our right and to our left, more press photographers . . . and so elegantly and without any sign of strain or exertion, we lifted off into the balmy air. As much as the cabin remained devoid of the engines' roar, this was broken by much louder applause of jubilation. I suspect those who were not clapping were either overwhelmed by the wonderful mood or were holding their cameras . . . or both (like me). Throughout the entire flight, you could carry a conversation in muted tones with no need to shout above the engine noise we have become so familiar with and so accustomed to.

The ships in the souther waters of Singapore Harbour slipped by and we climed above the billowy clouds into brilliant sunshine. The party soon began as passengers venture to discover and uncover every nook and cranny that caught their attention, the media went to town to seek their captive interviewees in the hope that they could gain the fresh emotions and reactions to this spectacular departure. TV crews and radio broadcasters set upon the task to record these emotions and some even provide live feed directly from the cabin and cockpit. A Suite was left vacant for this purpose. In the seat pocket, a special edition of the KrisWorld programme was produced and mounted in a box that was suitably marked with the flight's significance and dates. This was quickly appreciated by many passengers and instantly adopted. A highlight for those with a weak knee for history came when SIA's sarong kebaya-clad stewardesses went to each passenger to individually present a beautifully printed First Flight Certificate. This for me was the most treasured keepsake along with permanent imprints of the many magical moments on this flight.

The cuisine for passengers in the Suites or Business Class is without doubt the very best, and so it was down to the mere mortals in the Economy Class cabin to hand our the report cards. The Asian choice of meal was created by celebrity chef Sam Leong - this consisted of a generous portion of Chilean bass with noodles in a most delicately fragrant garlic sauce and became an instant hit with the many passengers who made this selection. Others who chose a slab of beef - the creation of Australian celebrity chef Matthew Moran were quietly savouring every tender slice of pure heaven. The specially selected wines were absolutely fantastic - even for a person with zero knowledge and appreciation for this liquid .. . like me. Indonesia slid past beneath us - but who's paying attention. The party continued onboard. Many enthusiasts were onboard - many wearing A380 shirts, t-shirts and jackets - each a limited edition personal creation. They went to town collecting everything they could - safety cards, the special edition of KrisWorld, the November 2007 issue of Silverkris featuring the A380 again . . . I suspect people were also trading what they wanted more of with what they feel they could give up among the contents of the goodie bag. The one thing that could not be traded - and most certainly would not be traded - is the first flight certificate. It is the most personal memorabilia that one could hug to sleep.

More food, more drinks, lots of movements, lots of conversation in the seats, along the aisles, around the galleys, near and on the staircases - broad straight one in the front of the cabin and a spiral one at the rear. It made the cabin crew's job that much more difficult but the 31 cabin crew members were truly the most fantastic I have ever met on a flight (on a regular flight, there will only be 23 of them). Captain Robert Ting was a celebrity everywhere he went . . . so were the chefs as people requested for them to sign against their personal choice of meal (yes, Sam signed next to my piece of Chilean Bass on the menu).

The great expanse of Australia's outback slid beneath us and once again, few bothered as the party continued onboard. Capt Ting announced that passengers on the port side (I was in 34A) will get to see the Sydney Harbour Bridge as the A380 makes its low level flypast. The A380 descended confidently and kept going lower and lower until the altimeter showed 1498 feet on the IFE screen - but the cloud base remained unreachable and we soon knew that the flypast had to be sacrificed. I personally don't know if the disappointment was greater in the cabin or on the ground in downtown Sydney. At least for those of us in the cabin, we still have a landing to experience and the cabin fell silent. You could hear a dust mite sneeze. We finally broke free from the clouds and almost immediately got our feet dry as we crossed the shoreline and over the threshold of runway 34L. We had a perfect touchdown - it was impossible to know the exact moment the wheels added a fresh coat of rubber to the runway. I eagerly looked for the many spotters and Sydneysiders I knew would be along the fence and at the beach - Tsen Tsan, Benny, Aaron must (I think) be here - and soon spotted them. I wanted to wait till we come abeam of them to take a shot and just as I thought the perfect moment is coming up, a B742F of Atlas Air loomed in my viewfinder. I lost that moment but feel a pang of pain for those on the beach - for they too woud have lost that moment.

We taxied to our gate and enjoyed the view of ground crews along the way gawking, admiring, photographing, pointing and gesticulating as the A380 went past them. Many waved at the people they would probably never get to know but it did not matter. The goodwill was returned by those onboard - and deeply appreciated. Perhaps for lack of practice - after all, the A380 had previously only made 2 visits to Sydney (sorry if I am wrong about this), the ground crew took more than 10 minutes before finally opening the aircraft's doors. Lots of ground staff greeted all passengers and once again, it did not matter that we did not know one another. In their own voices, smiles and emotions, they welcomed us warmly. All the way and right up to the immigration officers, this welcome was repeatedly extended. THANK YOU SYDNEY - for the warmth of your hospitality. When I finally got to the Stamford Plaza Hotel, a bottle of wine with a special "World's First A380 Flight" label was waiting - a gift from the hotel to the media members! A toast to the hotel's management for that.

I processed some pictures and loaded them onto the SIA Media Pool and rushed off to the General Aviation area where the A380 was standing, bathed in beautiful light and was being visited by VIPs, government leaders, politicians, airport authority management etc. Some shots later, I left and got back to the hotel at 2330hrs. After washing up, I was torned between my hunger for sleep or dreams of a serving of Malaysian curry chicken on fried rice on the room service menu (must surely thank the MAS crew staying in this hotel for the inclusion of this item in the late night portion of the menu). I chose to go to sleep and continue my dream flight.

This is my very personal take on the first leg of the World's First A380 Flight. More of this later with pictures eventually.

KC Sim

Awesome guys!

Plenty of chance to catch her again as SQ219 SINSYD and SQ220 SYDSIN beginning Sunday October 28th
Make it SQ221 in, 220 out...the morning flight to SYD!

Found this from Sydney Morning Herald website:

http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2007/10/25/...ry__470x279.jpg

Singapore Airlines Airbus A380 takes off from the runway at Changi International Airport for Sydney. Photo: AP

The second guy from the right looks familiar... kwek... kwek...Kwek... :D

Mis-ident!!! That's not me lah!

http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2007/10/25/...ry__470x307.jpg

People take photographs as the first Singapore Airlines superjumbo Airbus A380 takes off from Changi International Airport in Singapore. Photo: AFP

Junior is at extreme left.

I'm glad you enjoyed every moment of the flight on the A380 KC! Can't wait to see your inflight pictures. I'm sure most of us in Sydney were pretty disappointed that the weather was bad on Thursday (very thick clouds) and Friday, (Saturday is bright sun light though...) but the sight and sound and probably smell on the A380 landing and departing will always be in engraved in our minds. The new era of comfort flying has begun.

Great stuff guys thanks for all the pictures. I was watching CNN and Richard Quest was onboard the maiden flight and he was saying that Airbus needs to sell 420 A380's just to get even with the losses, but currently their orders are just under 200. How many of you guys think airbus are going to sell another 220 380's? :)

Hi Guys,

Late as usual...... :rolleyes:

I was over the moon with my pics of the departure. Just three to share

1) On her way out from the terminal.....EVERYONE IS LOOKING!

9vska_251007_sin_1.jpg

2) THE SHOT that I had in my mind, and luckily, SQ arranged 5 B777s to frame the photo!

9vska_251007_sin_2.jpg

3) Off to SYD, with a really really long departure run.......I can just see KC clapping his hands furiously at this point :clapping:

9vska_251007_sin_3.jpg

Enjoy

Andrew

Great stuff guys thanks for all the pictures. I was watching CNN and Richard Quest was onboard the maiden flight and he was saying that Airbus needs to sell 420 A380's just to get even with the losses, but currently their orders are just under 200. How many of you guys think airbus are going to sell another 220 380's? :)

Prashant,

Just a matter of time. The more A380s in commercial services, the higher chance for it to prove its suitability and reliability in return for more sales. ;)

I too was previously sceptical that the A380 could revolutionise air travel that significantly beyond the comfort levels we are already enjoying on the B747s. Now I am completely confident that the positive word-of-mouth will make many demand that their agents book them on the A380. Airlines that have the A380 are going to see migration of their most discerning customers and airlines that don't are going to kick themselves in the "undercarriage".

Someday, airlines will fall into two categories - those that have the A380 and those that don't.

Given that the B747 - a great work of art by Joseph F. Sutter - is still in production 37 years after its maiden commercial flight, there is no reason to believe that the A380's production line would not stretch for a couple of decades. Those huge wings certainly leaves plenty of room for stretches - and might I add that I would love to see an A380SP, a shortened version.

The wonderful thing is in the years ahead, planes are going to get more comfortable, more efficient and environmentally friendly and they are (for the sake of aviation photographers) going to get more beautiful too - just look at the B747-8, B787s and A350s.

If only, someone could make the case for yet another widebodied TriJet. I miss those.

For those not familiar with NinerVictor, follow this link : http://www.ninervictor.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2803 for a superb report by Tsen Tsan!!

KC Sim

i watched CNN Richard Quest's coverage on board SIN-SYD. i was looking for KC. couldnt locate him. anyway, the highest bidder was 38 year old internet millionaire bloke who paid usd 100k. and so SQ allocated him seat 1 alpha.

Sign in to follow this