MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MAS to Introduce New Cabin Crew Uniform

In my flight there were 4 uniforms I saw, A red kebaya, the blue one, regular male suit and black suit. Make me dizzy, they shud have one uniform. Although I found the supervisor was extremely rude.

Edited by Seth K

From my observation (after passing them everyday)..

IFS male uniform looks like those of Emirates male crews (dark blue blazers, navy[?] blue shirts & red tie & dark blue pants matching the blazer)

Chief Stewardess red kebaya..exactly same tone of red as those SQ CS.

wanna see a pic of the new uniform gents! (and ladies :) ) any crew member here can share some personal pics???

I was on MH 2507 KCH-KUL on 8 February 2008 and I saw the new female IFS red uniform.

DSC05101.jpg

On the inbound trip, MH 2504 on 11 February 2008, I saw the new male IFS black suit uniform.

DSC05129.jpg

Sorry for the improvisation of the photo taking. Perhaps Kenneth can give a better coverage. The female IFS, Norafizah also informed me that a new sarong kebaya will be unveiled for the normal rank flight attendants. The colour will be dark blue, slightly lighter than SQ's. She pointed towards the blue hue motifs on her new red kebaya when explaining it to me.

As for the male IFS uniform, the black suit is worn together with a blue shirt and a red (dotted/patterned) neck tie.

Sorry for the improvisation of the photo taking. Perhaps Kenneth can give a better coverage. The female IFS, Norafizah also informed me that a new sarong kebaya will be unveiled for the normal rank flight attendants. The colour will be dark blue, slightly lighter than SQ's. She pointed towards the blue hue motifs on her new red kebaya when explaining it to me.

As for the male IFS uniform, the black suit is worn together with a blue shirt and a red (dotted/patterned) neck tie.

You must be kidding me!

I understand that modernisation has it's price, I think that there is too much to lose if they are going to completely change the colour of their Kabaya.

The green kabaya is as much associated with MAS and a kangaroo is with Australia (or the Eiffel Tower with Paris). The green kabaya has been with MAS through the good times and the bad. The constant winning of cabin staff awards is a testament to this. To get rid of such a well known part of MAS is just ridiculous. Why fix something that isn't broken?

The Kebaya I believe is just plainly traditional Malay clothing which probably originates from Indonesia ;)

Nothing close to Kangaroo - Australia or Eiffel Tower - Paris :D

I saw that red kebaya too, i doesnt blend in with the airline blueish theme, red is not a nice relaxing color like the blue one.

IJ - don't ditch the green/blue kebaya on the MH FA's. :o

They look lovely.

a new sarong kebaya will be unveiled for the normal rank flight attendants. The colour will be dark blue, slightly lighter than SQ's.

Why do they have to go blue ?? Hmm .. anyway, i am glad that MAS have decided to stick with their traditional uniform (kebaya/batik).

Why fix something that isn't broken?

they should have spent the money on something more worth while.... like better food. :pardon:

well said, couldnt agree more...

the red kebaya does not look pleasing to my eyes.. the red colour is just ... err... "garang" (fierce).. owh maybe since the person who wears it is the IFS, she has to look garang :rolleyes:

I support the move of changing the uniform for the cabin crew as currently they are wearing same coloured kebaya worn by the ground staff.No exclusivity :) ..just to add another reminiscent to the evolution of MH's uniform:

hf_img3.jpg

..just to add another reminiscent to the evolution of MH's uniform:

hf_img3.jpg

The male uniform is not bad at all in that picture...but the seat covering is awful...

I doubt it was awful during that time :D

20 years from now we'll probably say the same of the current interior.

No need to wait 20 years, it's already looking very outdated :)

Unless MAS is planning to shift their advertising focus away from the 'award winning crew' focus, then this change of in-flight uniform business could prove ill advised. You see all the adverts nowadays with the smiling crew, particularly the female uniform, particularly the colour ? That is branding, and that has a cost to it already. To ditch that and put on a new uniform (especially if you change the colour), probably need to start from step one again in rebranding, meaning spending more money

Ah well, I'm sure the higher-up's within MAS have better ideas ! :)

No need to wait 20 years, it's already looking very outdated :)

Unless MAS is planning to shift their advertising focus away from the 'award winning crew' focus, then this change of in-flight uniform business could prove ill advised. You see all the adverts nowadays with the smiling crew, particularly the female uniform, particularly the colour ? That is branding, and that has a cost to it already. To ditch that and put on a new uniform (especially if you change the colour), probably need to start from step one again in rebranding, meaning spending more money

Ah well, I'm sure the higher-up's within MAS have better ideas ! :)

Well said!

MH has built an identity of "award winning crew" based around the instantly-recognisable MH in-flight crew and their Green Kabayas. Looking out at the arrival hall in Sydney Kingsford Smith, I see all kinds of uniforms...from the formal suits that Australian, British and American crews wear, to the mixed uniforms of Arabic airlines (characterised by stylish headscarfs) of Arabic airlines such as Gulf Air and Emirates, right through to the traditional Asian uniforms of Singapore and Malaysia. Each airline has built an identity around their uniforms, and Malaysia is no exception.

But as BC said, we'll have to see if the executives come up with a campaign that can justify the change in uniform.