MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
dsim

Kuala Terengganu airport to get international status

hmm....i can definitely see JHB playing host to foreign carriers much earlier than TGG ever will...simply because of the development thats going on in that region of Malaysia...

Why would u want 744's to land in TGG?

Another one of those typical politician's pre-election agenda don't you think?

TGG doesn't even have full loads on its current flight schedule on narrowbodies.

If they want to ferry pax to islands, i dont think they'll use jumbos.....

anyway, for politician, an upgrading project means more money spent. more money spent means more income for %%$#.....so whatever upgrading or any construction would do for them as long as its spending. :drinks:

I say Ipoh is an 'international' airport as there is service from an Indonesian airline, if the world class and award winning MAB defines an airport as international by having services from / to a foreign country.

A friend from Terengganu says the state gov has lots of money...... so need to spend lah, especially to show that the former state gov of the previous term 'did not do much development'. But how money is spent is a different matter. A recent 'tender' for school IT maintenance were awarded to companies aligned to a certain political party. I mean ALL successful companies (there were several for different districts) , nevermind if the tendered price is higher than others. Scope of work for maintenance includes defragging harddrives (!), scandisk and general cleaning of computer equipment off dust. These work are chargeable OK!

But anyway TGG may get some chartered international flights. Scheduled flights may be a very remote possibility in the short term. Oh... 2008 is Visit Terengganu Year :good:

if let say terengganu got it international status...what it will do good???? just for the sake of the "name"????? if TGG do not have the traffic...then there r no reason y TGG should be an international airport.......

2 cent

bro, i saw a lot of beemers and mercs down here...

and mind you, the do have M3 and X5, i dunno where this ppl come from.

And IntL is good for the monsoon cup..And the Islands..Just imagine what Bayan Lepas

did to Penang..Intl doesnt have to be like KLIA, thats humongous, just a bigger RWY and

Immigration N customs..Eventually all Msian airport will want to be Intl.. its like a stage 2

of an airport.. Money wise, u dont play around when it gets to airport equipment,less budget

less safety. And BPR have big eyes on big projects, If there's a political agenda, y Dato' najib's

hometown doesnt get the upgrade first? because of its strategic value...is less than TGG.

hehe..thats a lot..

Most of the tourists going to Perhentian and Redang islands fly in through KBR.

[sarcasm=on]

But of course, BA will fly direct LHR-TGG to bring in holiday makers when the airport gets its international status.

[sarcasm=off]

Another one of those typical politician's pre-election agenda don't you think?

Was thinking the same once read the topic title... (call me paranoid...)

Airport upgraded a bit, then 2008 is visit T'ganu year...

bro, i saw a lot of beemers and mercs down here...and mind you, the do have M3 and X5, i dunno where this ppl come from.And IntL is good for the monsoon cup..And the Islands..Just imagine what Bayan Lepasdid to Penang..Intl doesnt have to be like KLIA, thats humongous, just a bigger RWY andImmigration N customs..Eventually all Msian airport will want to be Intl.. its like a stage 2of an airport.. Money wise, u dont play around when it gets to airport equipment,less budget less safety. And BPR have big eyes on big projects, If there's a political agenda, y Dato' najib'shometown doesnt get the upgrade first? because of its strategic value...is less than TGG.hehe..thats a lot..
Firstly, there are more beemers and mercs in Kota Bharu, than in Kuala Terengganu!Secondly, Penang island development made Bayan Lepas to what it is, and not the other way roundThird, good for Monsoon Cup? Monsoon Cup event depends more on the politician at the Fourth Floor, Prime Minister Office in Putrajaya than on any airport, TGG or not!Fourth, BPR (Anti Corruption Agency) it self is fighting an image battle. How many Malaysian truly trusts them? Its more like 'harapkan pagar, pagar makan padi'... BTW, the recent Auditor General report of excessive price quoted for government project add salt to the injury.Fifth, KUA is an air force base, so any extension to the passenger terminal/operation has to be done with the RMAF in mind. I agree with what most other members said here about the 'international' status of TGG.
Why would u want 744's to land in TGG?
So that we can spot "boeing tujoh pat tujoh" while enjoying Terengganu roadside keropok lekor :rofl: , right Azahan?

Agreed...no international traffic for an international airport.

Seasonal chartered flight? Maybe true...but scheduled? Naaaa....KBR should be upgraded 1st, however, as long as the green and white flag is sitting on the throne, it will be a no-no....

as long as the green and white flag is sitting on the throne, it will be a no-no....

That is the problem with the fedral gahmen. They collectively punish those who do not support them even though these people are citizens of the country and pay taxes for the development of the nation.

These people in power have no fear of punishment in afterlife for their wrongdoings in their lifetime.

agree with above - no vote, no money!

Terengganu was punished that way too until it was taken over.

Whatever it is - i don't expect a EZE-CPT-JNB-KUL-TGG flight anytime soon.

This news is perhaps the normal political spin but I am more inclined to regard it as a prelude to the soon to be unveiled ECER (East Coast Economic Region), which is going to be masterplanned by Petronas.

Maybe we can envisaged some petroleum-'caused' related (cargo maybe) flights to TGG in the future? Look at JHB, only a few days after the Khazanah's IDR (Iskandar Development Region) was announced, QR announced a once weekly scheduled cargo flight to Johor Bahru, non stop from Doha.

By the look of it in this thread, TGG new terminal is outstanding! It is very beautiful, it will certainly make PEN and LGK (the international airports inside Sime Darby's NCER) look pale in comparison.

And mind you, the company that I work with is the most prominent is the state of Terengganu. We have large stakes in the state's construction and oil and gas sectors. Of course I would welcome this development with WIDE open hands. ;)

..... i don't expect a EZE-CPT-JNB-KUL-TGG flight anytime soon.

EZE-TGG direct non stop has more glamour to it no ?! :)

maybe once we get some ultra long range aircraft. AK might be keen to fly TGG-GRU with their 332 via tehran, damascus and caracas.

but somehow i think TF has more common sense than IJ.