MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MAB Cabin Crew Reduction on All Flights

During my days with MH we had the crew of the last flight going for layover / nightstop and will operate the next day around noon. The crew that arrived during noon will nightstop and operate the first flight out tomorrow morning. Simple logic until the bean counters comes in and make things more complicated so they can pay the crew less.

During my days with MH we had the crew of the last flight going for layover / nightstop and will operate the next day around noon. The crew that arrived during noon will nightstop and operate the first flight out tomorrow morning. Simple logic until the bean counters comes in and make things more complicated so they can pay the crew less.

There was a time not too long ago (or maybe still the practice today?) where the crew on the last flight to SIN, MH609, which arrives at about 00:10 (if no delays) - will operate the same aircraft/ first flight out the same day (of earlier arrival) as MH602 STD 06:40.

How crazy/ cruel is that?

Maybe the crew was expected to be asleep all day before MH609, but then linger around for some 4hrs at SIN overnight?

There was a time not too long ago (or maybe still the practice today?) where the crew on the last flight to SIN, MH609, which arrives at about 00:10 (if no delays) - will operate the same aircraft/ first flight out the same day (of earlier arrival) as MH602 STD 06:40.

Maybe the crew was expected to be asleep all day before MH609, but then linger around for some 4hrs at SIN overnight?

This "last-in, first-out" practice isn't uncommon. One downside to this is any delays to the inbound flight would mean the next morning's outbound would also have to be pushed back to give the crew sufficient rest. Always encounter this sort of delay in the US.

They could make mh609 as crews first flight and mh602 as last flight for the day e.g tg.

This "last-in, first-out" practice isn't uncommon. One downside to this is any delays to the inbound flight would mean the next morning's outbound would also have to be pushed back to give the crew sufficient rest. Always encounter this sort of delay in the US.

If im not mistaken, by law the Air Crew (Pilots) must have minimum 13.30 hrs rest between flights on different days. Lets say they arrive at destination 10pm last flight. Then earliest they can fly next day is 11.30am.

Edited by GeO

This pattern is called a "SPLIT DUTY" which is quite commonly being practiced around the world, be it day or night dutiy. It is approved by the respective regulators. If there is a break in between duties of 3 hours or more, the company will provide a 'suitable' accommodation and the "Flight Time Limitation" will be subjected to this clause of duty.

Otherwise, a minimum of 12 hours rest or the length of the preceding duty, whichever is longer, will be given to both, the tech & cabin crew.

from my observation as pax point of view, the old 5 cc is good for pax service but not efficient to company

the current 4cc service is efficient by eliminate the preload the hot meal at galley and wasting time there.

the current system is for domestic flight is

1st round bring whole bucket or tray (i dont know what they call that) of hot meal and put on box while serving,

2nd round is when done with meal then come back with drinks service, no need pour from stainless steel jug, direct from coke bottle or OJ carton, some flight they just pass you prepacked OJ, even faster. BKI KCH flight no drink service, only upon request they will serve. all meal come with 250ml of water instead of 60ml prepacked small cups... at the same time they collect back the meal box.

i would see all the unnecessary and inefficiency eliminated. hence lower cost.

i would rather suggest them throw everything into a trolley bin rather than wasting time re arrange it into the tray.

i tried GA before for just short flight from DPS to LOP... prepacked bun n cakes with mineral water in box distributed thru out full flight with in minutes.

due to short flight the collect the finished boxes and throw in the trolley bin... pax can bring it away if they want... that is added value to pax. not all pax want to eat on flight, so they still can opt to take it away.

p6091102.jpg

same goes with TG, short flight like BKK CNX, meal box with disposable paper bowl and plates. fast to distribute and collect back and environment friendly

file-89.jpg

from my observation as pax point of view, the old 5 cc is good for pax service but not efficient to company

the current 4cc service is efficient by eliminate the preload the hot meal at galley and wasting time there.

the current system is for domestic flight is

1st round bring whole bucket or tray (i dont know what they call that) of hot meal and put on box while serving,

2nd round is when done with meal then come back with drinks service, no need pour from stainless steel jug, direct from coke bottle or OJ carton, some flight they just pass you prepacked OJ, even faster. BKI KCH flight no drink service, only upon request they will serve. all meal come with 250ml of water instead of 60ml prepacked small cups... at the same time they collect back the meal box.

i would see all the unnecessary and inefficiency eliminated. hence lower cost.

i would rather suggest them throw everything into a trolley bin rather than wasting time re arrange it into the tray.

i tried GA before for just short flight from DPS to LOP... prepacked bun n cakes with mineral water in box distributed thru out full flight with in minutes.

due to short flight the collect the finished boxes and throw in the trolley bin... pax can bring it away if they want... that is added value to pax. not all pax want to eat on flight, so they still can opt to take it away.

p6091102.jpg

same goes with TG, short flight like BKK CNX, meal box with disposable paper bowl and plates. fast to distribute and collect back and environment friendly

file-89.jpg

unfortunately for MH the costs of having all those disposable meal box, recyclable cups will be 5 times than what GA and TG incurred....maybe their procurement system has improved now but expect bare minimal meal tray to stay